Backfiring in Cat Conv? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old May 12th, 2007, 12:33 am Thread Starter

Backfiring in Cat Conv?

I just purchased a used K1200LTC with about 65,000 miles on it. The seller reports that he had a problem with fuel backfiring in the cat conv while the engine is cold. I am finding that it "backfires" or rattles, or SOMETHING not only when it is cold, but all the time...not only when I let off the gas, but while accelerating, particularly between 3000 and 4000 RPM. Anybody have a similar experience...and hopefully, solution???????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old May 12th, 2007, 5:44 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotPhil
I just purchased a used K1200LTC with about 65,000 miles on it. The seller reports that he had a problem with fuel backfiring in the cat conv while the engine is cold. I am finding that it "backfires" or rattles, or SOMETHING not only when it is cold, but all the time...not only when I let off the gas, but while accelerating, particularly between 3000 and 4000 RPM. Anybody have a similar experience...and hopefully, solution???????
Phil sounds like the cat conv broke free inside the collector. I had the same experience. You may note eratic idyl . A cheap fix is to remove exhaust and open up the collector from the top and remove the cat then reweld (stainless). I am not sure how the bike will run after removing the cat.You may lose some low to midrange power.

Pete Murray
IBA # 359 and
2014 RT
1973 R75/5
2002 LT 171 K Gone
2008 FJR 36 K Gone
Stroudsburg, PA
post #3 of 3 Old May 12th, 2007, 8:25 am Thread Starter

Thanks, Pete. I have a neighbor who has the ability to weld stainless. That sounds like a good starting point. It doesn't seem to affect performance, but is very annoying, especially when on such a smooth running machine.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in