Clutch Update! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old May 11th, 2007, 11:25 pm Thread Starter

Clutch Update!

Here is my clutch update.
Dropped of the Lt on May 4, at Ironhorse BMW, Tucson for scheduled apt to start on May 8. I had told them the symptoms of the clutch and that I thought it was possible rear main seal. (Something I just felt was the problem) when I dropped off the bike. Called afternoon of 8th and spoke to a service manager he was not the service manager I dropped it off too, stated they found oil that smelled like trannie fluid on the outside of the trannie housing. He told me that he has ordered the parts that they thought was the problem but had not started the teardown they wanted the parts there so when they tore it down they could continue the rebuild. I thought to myself, how do they know what to order until they look at the problem? I told him that I thought it might be the rear main engine seal and to order all the seals necessary to replace them all at that point of the teardown as I did not want to have to pay another teardown to replace something that could have be replaced now. He told me that they expected the parts in on the 9th sometime.

I called the afternoon of the 9th and they had not received the parts and had not started the teardown.

I called noon of the 10th and they had started the teardown.

I called late afternoon of the 11th and what they found was the rear main engine seal leaking. Had possibly been leaking over time as there was about 1/2 quart of oil in the clutch housing. Thus they have replaced the complete clutch assembly and all of the seals. I asked if it would be ready mid afternoon of the 12th. They felt more like later afternoon. He also told me that they drilled a drain hole in the housing to drain oil if that issues happens again. I told him that I totally agreed with that decision. The Slave cylinder that I replace in January had no damage and they reinstalled it.

Service manager also stated they have had some recent Lt clutches in lately with the same issue of leaking rear main seal. Did not specify any consistency in model years.

So there you have it.

Rob Asay
99 Canyon Red Lt
"The True Red Dragon"
1982 Honda "Silver Wing"
1986 Gold Wing Interstate "Blue Babe"
1978 Gold Wing
1976 Kawasaki 900
1967 Honda 305 Scrambler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old May 12th, 2007, 8:05 am

If BMW uses the same seal material, you are going to see a lot of LT's having this problem. Mine was replaced at 60k. I believe that the service manager said that they drilled a weep hole into the bell housing, not the slave cylinder housing.

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT
2000 LT - Totaled at 99,960 miles

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 Old May 12th, 2007, 8:27 am

We need to drill holes in the clutch housing

Quote:
Originally Posted by robasay
I called late afternoon of the 11th and what they found was the rear main engine seal leaking. Had possibly been leaking over time as there was about 1/2 quart of oil in the clutch housing.
This is the reason why I want to drill a hole in my clutch housing. The hole may have kept oil from building up enough to contaminate the clutch. Also, you would have known about the problem much sooner,so you would have just driven the bike into the shop.

NOTE TO GUYS THAT HAVE A CLUTCH TORE DOWN:
We need to know where to drill the hole in the housing. Some input would help. I

post #4 of 5 Old May 12th, 2007, 9:13 am Thread Starter

Weep Hole Location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean_BMW
This is the reason why I want to drill a hole in my clutch housing. The hole may have kept oil from building up enough to contaminate the clutch. Also, you would have known about the problem much sooner,so you would have just driven the bike into the shop.

NOTE TO GUYS THAT HAVE A CLUTCH TORE DOWN:
We need to know where to drill the hole in the housing. Some input would help. I
As soon as I pick up the bike I will measure and attempte to post a picture of the hole location.

Rob Asay
99 Canyon Red Lt
"The True Red Dragon"
1982 Honda "Silver Wing"
1986 Gold Wing Interstate "Blue Babe"
1978 Gold Wing
1976 Kawasaki 900
1967 Honda 305 Scrambler
post #5 of 5 Old May 12th, 2007, 9:55 am

Thank you!

I don't really think it's going to be that critical... I would just hate to randomly drill a hole right where one of the clutch components were near the edge of the housing. I am sure there is plenty of safe places.. it's just knowing where they are at without disassembling the thing to look at it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in