07-WOW! 1st BMW, Questions?! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old May 11th, 2007, 9:46 pm Thread Starter

07-WOW! 1st BMW, Questions?!

I've been reading threads on my concerns on my 07-LTK. My concerns are this; BRAKES!- grab in the front and sweak in the rear, I find the front to be a safety issue and the rear, well for what I paid for the bike the brakes should not weak! TOP HEAVY-Never had to take 6 months to get use to the bike, this is what the dealer tells me and many threads. OIL LEAK- Owned many Harley never had an oil leak.......buy BMW and my garage has oil all over the carpet! SMOKE FROM ENGINE- noticed today when I started the engine that there was a ( CLOUD OF SMOKE) behind me throttle cables need to be replaced because they cause severe calices on my right hand........23k for a bike and all of this right of the bat............I'm just alittle frustrated.....your help and wisdom would be appreciated....Dan

Last edited by V-DAN; May 11th, 2007 at 9:50 pm. Reason: left something out
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old May 11th, 2007, 9:52 pm
Gold Supporter

Front brakes grabbing I am not familiar with, but the squeaking back brakes are a common trait of the big beast. There are some threads here, several actually, about the back brake and there are some remedies, but the best is just run her up to sixty and stand on the rear brakes. Oil leaks...you got a problem. Smoke..do you park on the side stand? If yes then wait about 30 seconds after you kill the motor before you roll her onto the stand. Top heavy, yes, but it shouldn't take more than a couple of parking lot practices to get used to her aircraft carrier feel.

Jerry
Look in the wolf's eyes and what do you see--A guardian spirit or fierce enemy?
2008 FLHTCU White Pearl

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 20 Old May 11th, 2007, 10:17 pm

Welcome and enjoy!

Like Jerry said... the "aircraft carrier" feel will dissipate.. get out and ride it! Do some braking "practice"..

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #4 of 20 Old May 11th, 2007, 10:22 pm

The front brakes are powerful and if you apply to much presure when going slow it will stop fast! The top heavy feeling you will get used to and if you take off the top box it feels much better. You will appreciate the brakes when a truck tries to wipe you off the freeway at 80mph! I just keep one finger on the brake when going slow now and am thankful for the powerful brakes and the ABS. The oil leaks thats what a warranty is for, but what a pain. The rear squeaking I hate, and agree I didn't pay over 20K for this kind of noise so I am probably going to go to the EBC drilled rotor soon. Once you get the warranty things fixed and get used to it you will love it.

05' LT Dark Grey, "Battle Star"
14' KTM 1190
03' KTM 450 EXC Dually
72' Honda SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
65' Honda CB160
70' Honda CB350
post #5 of 20 Old May 11th, 2007, 10:52 pm

apparantly someone didnt do their due diligence prior to purchase.

F

BMWMOA
12 GTL
post #6 of 20 Old May 11th, 2007, 11:03 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-DAN
SMOKE FROM ENGINE- noticed today when I started the engine that there was a ( CLOUD OF SMOKE) behind me
Yep, this is quite normal if it is left parked on the side stand. Only needs to be there an hour or so and it will smoke when started. Something about the position of the engine and the lean of the bike....
Best thing is always pop it up on the center stand and you usually have no problems.
Addit: just remembered you have an 07 model with electric stand, so maybe you have not been leaving it on the side - right?

Orange, NSW
'99 K1200LT - Basalt Grey (traded in for)
2007 GL1800 - Dark Orange Metallic
Ulysses Member 32701
post #7 of 20 Old May 12th, 2007, 4:40 am

Greetings all.

Hey there Dan, don't sweat the small stuff buddy.

Every now and then, I find a nice, smooth, empty carpark and practice my very slow speed figure eight turns. Anyone can ride fast, but slow with control takes some practice. Get out there and find yourself some space and practice very slow tight turns. Us early LT owners can cheat by dragging the rear brake, however you had better be careful appying your rear brake as I believe your front brake may apply, making life very exciting for you. Be careful on that issue.

My '99 LT has never smoked, weaved at speed or leaked oil. As for those tight throttle cables, hit the gym. You may have purchased an LT that's had a bit of a "life". Get those problems nailed and give yourself one year to become acclimatised to your bike. It will grow on you.

Kindest regards to all.

Paul Harrington
AU

E: [email protected]

1999 K1200LT Champagne "Bismarck"
1983 base K100 "Bavarian Belle"
post #8 of 20 Old May 12th, 2007, 7:07 am

Oil leak - shouldn't be.
Brakes:
The rears sqweek do a search there are cures
Front grabby? - could be you are not use to the servos & the 1 finger braking ability of BMW servo bikes.
Smoke as suggested above puting bike on the sidestand to quickly and you will get smoke on startup. Use the center stand - I never used my side stand. If it's smoking for any other reason take it to the dealer.
Calluses already! Great job you must have 30K on her by now. Get a Throttle Rocker for when you don't want to use the cruise.

Dave

BMWMOA #120588
website has been hacked - down for now
Riding since '65 - 30+ bikes (lost count)
Current Stable:
'06 R12GS Adv, '98 Buell, '95 Ultra, '95 Fatboy, '71 Rickman, '53 Panhead
2009-2010 KxxxxLT or whenever BMW updates the platform

post #9 of 20 Old May 12th, 2007, 8:49 am

I don't find that my 07 LT is top heavy, I actually find that it handles better at low speeds than a buddy's wing. As for the front brake, as mentioned the brakes on the LT are one finger use. I have never had a bike that has the stopping power of the "big" LT. I think that you just have to spend some time with the bike to get used to it. As for oil leaks, I have none and have looked at a number of new and used LT's at the dealer and not one had any visible oil leaks.

I think that you are looking for problems were none exist. If you check the GW forums or the HD forums you will find as many posts about problems as you find for the LT. There will always be someone who is not happy with whatever model of bike they have and they will "find" problems to post about. You rarely hear from folks who have no problems with their LT's. Maybe it is because they are too busy out riding the girl to post about it.

If you want to have some real fun with the LT, find a buddy with a Ducatti Quattro and go for a ride with him in the twistys, then you will know where the big girl really shines.

Just my opinion based on my experiences with my 07 LT. Gotta go now going to go for a ride.

Ken

Ken Riach

2007 K1200LT

"
post #10 of 20 Old May 12th, 2007, 5:34 pm

Sounds as if you need a nice long ride, especially on an open road, around 70mph or so, or on some nice winding roads.

This time of year, temps hit 100F, I'm always glad that neither foot roasts from engine heat, and the deep pocket of air behind the windshield.

Bob, 00LT
post #11 of 20 Old May 12th, 2007, 6:01 pm

I am in your home town.

I am at the Hilton, celebration my 6th year wedding anniversary. How much are you to selling it. Just kidding. Call the dealer and have him fix it. Did you get it from Miller BMW?????
post #12 of 20 Old May 12th, 2007, 6:50 pm

I have an 07 and I love it. I got used to the weight by now and love the ride. NO OIL LIKS in mine, maybe an oil screw compression gasket failure? This can happened some times after the oil change and not installing the screw correct or too tight. My brakes squeak but did not mind because I am having too much of a good time riding her. I just took a small trip with my 07 and responded great through the worse and best weather you can imagine. My little trip was 5000 miles from Maine to Texas Enjoy the ride and for concerns talk to your dealer, they are real helpful to answer questions and remember that you have 3 years warranty. Enjoy the summer in your new bike

BMW K1200GT 2008 Aventurin Silver Metallic (Atlas)
BMWMOA # 130458

HD FLSTN Softail Deluxe 2008 Suede Blue & V. Black(hers)
post #13 of 20 Old May 12th, 2007, 7:38 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-DAN
I've been reading threads on my concerns on my 07-LTK. My concerns are this; BRAKES!- grab in the front and sweak in the rear, I find the front to be a safety issue and the rear, well for what I paid for the bike the brakes should not weak! TOP HEAVY-Never had to take 6 months to get use to the bike, this is what the dealer tells me and many threads. OIL LEAK- Owned many Harley never had an oil leak.......buy BMW and my garage has oil all over the carpet! SMOKE FROM ENGINE- noticed today when I started the engine that there was a ( CLOUD OF SMOKE) behind me throttle cables need to be replaced because they cause severe calices on my right hand........23k for a bike and all of this right of the bat............I'm just alittle frustrated.....your help and wisdom would be appreciated....Dan

Fix that oil leak and then ride the bike. The rest is minor and maybe that bit of oil is also.

Manny
Where is the nearest Tims?

Need to stay awake

post #14 of 20 Old May 12th, 2007, 8:19 pm

Looks like Dan posted the bike for sale at $23k this evening in this Classifieds thread.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

-----------------------------------------------

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #15 of 20 Old May 13th, 2007, 8:36 am

The LT is not for everybody, and if he's "wimping out" this soon he's more likely afraid of it and it's probably not the bike for him.

I would be pissed too if I paid retail and had problems,
but by the sound of his post his frustration goes a little deeper than that,
he never mentiones how many miles are on the bike and my guess is not very many.

I was also intimidated with the weight and topheavy feel of the LT
but by the second or third day I was-a-scraping things in the corners
and-a-hollering yee-ha.

and it's just keeps-a-getting better

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

post #16 of 20 Old May 13th, 2007, 8:47 am

Wink

Brakes... Replace the rear with EBC. The dealer may do it for free.
(my bike sounded like a "Dump Truck" with the OEM pads)
Problem with this is that the germans don't care abut noise & brake dust.
They only care about function.

Oil Leak.. Shouldn't be there. Dealer will fix at inspection.

Grabby brakes... Power assist, they do that. I have adjusted.

Smoke at start up... My 85K100RT did it. My 03 LT does it. Combustion chamber is on the left, downhill side when on the side stand. Oil sometimes seaps into combustion chamber. (A) It has never caused a drop in oil level (B) parking on center stand helps to eliminate smoke at start up (C) Some say if you let the bike settle for 20 seconds after turning it off that helps too.
post #17 of 20 Old May 13th, 2007, 12:24 pm

My father in law does the same thing. He goes out to a dealer, get's talked into getting bent over. Drives it home, drops it in the drive, goes back and orders parts which they sell him "at cost" Yeah right, and then pays them to come out to the house and fix it. Then about the time it has 1000 miles on it he takes it in to repeat the cycle. It's kind of nice if you are around at the right time though. I bought an rs from him with 1000 on it once, rode it a total of 7 years and sold it last week for a 200$ loss. Let me know if anyone is interested in a nicely farkled green gt 03-05 mint and I mean mint with painted side bags and 8-12 k on it I'm guessing. He's looking to sell it now.?

Ghaison (Jason)
99 K1200RS Silver and Blue (Sold!)
2004 K1200LT FOR SALE!!!
Bluefield, VA
Sometimes you can get so fixated on the fact that you are right that you lose sight of the reality that it doesn't matter.
-some guy named Ghaison circa 2002

post #18 of 20 Old May 13th, 2007, 8:00 pm

V-Dan, I know what you are feeling, been there - done that...

V-Dan,

Get the EBC pads to solve the brake squeal problem.
Get used to the front brake. You'll grow to appreciate the brakes
in thin bike. I have never, ever had any kind of oil smoke from the
rear of the bike after sitting on the side stand, but I admit I
mainly use the hydraulic center stand. The bike will feel less top heavy after you ride it for a while but.... RULE # 1 when riding a BMW LT...
ALWAYS, Without ANY EXCEPTION, stop the bike in a straight line!
Never ever have the bars turned or lean the bike when you stop. This will save your bacon big time. Last but not least is the little thing I use for the throttle. I use a plastic device (I don't recall the name of it) that clips on to the throttle grip and you use it as leverage. I have small hands so this REALLY saves my strength. I have had my BMW for 1.5 years and would not have any other bike... period. I hope this helps you!

-
05' K1200 LT - BMW MOA Member
05 CCR Survivor
- Team-N-Training
post #19 of 20 Old May 14th, 2007, 6:27 am

Is that because you don't know any better?

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #20 of 20 Old May 14th, 2007, 7:54 am

I've read two threads about "grabby" brakes now. I'm thinking that the riders are coming from other bikes and now learning a new system. I have not noticed any grabbiniess in my 03, so I'm thinkng the riders probably need to do some practice on SMOOOTHNESS. I try to teach new riders to work on SMOOTH and HABITS. Be smooth in everything you do on a motorcycle and practice the RIGHT ways to do everything (habits). So that when you really need these skills, they are ingrained.

The brakes may take a bit of getting used to but are as smooth as anything out there when applied properly. My thought on throttle is that a lot of folks complain, but of the LTs I've tried (only a few), I haven't encountered a stiff throttle yet, so maybe as Florian said, it's time for some muscle conditioning.

My only complaint witht he LT is I don;t have enough time to ride mine.

Oil leak? On an 07 - should be covoered by warranty.

Good luck
Randy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in