Missing Second - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old May 11th, 2007, 7:52 pm Thread Starter

Missing Second

I have been riding the LT for just over 2 months and I still find myself missing second gear on a fairly regular basis. I think I have upshifted, and the gear indicator says "2" and then I suddenly find myself in neutral, often with then engine revving very high. Am I still just getting used to the bike and its transmission or is this a quirk of the LT that I just need to get used to?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old May 11th, 2007, 7:55 pm

Is there any adjustment on the shift linkage?
post #3 of 9 Old May 11th, 2007, 7:55 pm

Missing Second

This is one of the oddball things about the LT that you need to get used to.

Pull the clutch in less when you upshift from 1st to 2nd. Its almost a speedshift (no clutch).

Also, you don't need to slam the shifter (like you do on a HD). It should slip into gear almost as smoothly as an automatic transmission.

Tim Barstow

2004 GSA Silver
2007 X Challenge

post #4 of 9 Old May 11th, 2007, 7:56 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by markc
I have been riding the LT for just over 2 months and I still find myself missing second gear on a fairly regular basis. I think I have upshifted, and the gear indicator says "2" and then I suddenly find myself in neutral, often with then engine revving very high. Am I still just getting used to the bike and its transmission or is this a quirk of the LT that I just need to get used to?
My '05 does it occasionally. I would say less than 5 times in 25,000 miles.

2005 Graphite
The only way to live is in the wind....
post #5 of 9 Old May 11th, 2007, 8:48 pm

Try a piece of tape over the indicator.
You'll rapidly get used to the feel of going into neutral, first and second.

Another thing you can try is striving for the smoothest shifting, and only going up to about 3600RPM.

For me, its about feeling when the trany engages first, or second, and how it feels going into neutral.

The other thing I have to practice is standing on the ABS breaks. My gut always tells me I'm way past the point where my breaks are going to lock.

Bob
post #6 of 9 Old May 12th, 2007, 4:59 pm
was

It happened to me too on my '99 as I was getting used to the bike. I found that I was not getting my boot fully beneath the gear selector lever, I was catching the end of the lever. As I trained myself to position my foot fully beneath the lever I cut the number of phantom shifts by 75%. That being said, I'm a little worried about the dash indicator saying that you are in second, but then you rev in neutral. You have a new (to you) '03, so you can't know what was done to the gear linkage in the past. It may be that the balls and cups are dry and need lubrication, it may be that one of the ball studs has started to turn out, introducing "slop" in the linkage, and it may be that the inner link needs adjustment. I'd see if there is a tech session nearby in the near future and if someone can give you a hand pulling the left foot plate, inspecting the linkage, and giving everything a good cleaning and lubing. Good luck.

Bill
Guilford, CT
'99 Canyon Red K1200 LT - Buddah Bike
post #7 of 9 Old May 12th, 2007, 5:32 pm

If you haven't done it recently, you might be surprised how much easier the shifting is after you re-lube the shifter linkage. YMMV

Res ipsa loquitur, sed quid in infernos dicet?

Alan Stuber
2003 K1200 LTC Titan Silver
Austin, Texas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 9 Old May 12th, 2007, 7:31 pm

Keep holding the shift lever up with your toe until you've let out the clutch. Works every time.
post #9 of 9 Old May 12th, 2007, 7:49 pm

When I first got my LT I used to miss shifts once in a while and I thought I was being sloppy or it was just a quirk of the LT. I finally had a shift ball break. I put a new one in and after the repair/lube I could not shift into second at all. I adjusted the linkage and haven't missed a shift in years..

Do yourself a favor and get some white lithium grease in an auto parts store and lube your linkage. Check to make sure none of the ball studs have not started to back out. Do not overtighten...

That will probably fix your problem. If your not into mechanical repair attend a tech session and someone will show you how to do this relatively simple repair.

Jack D. (Southern Connecticut)
2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in