Raising the seat for tall guys - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old May 11th, 2007, 3:33 pm Thread Starter

Raising the seat for tall guys

Although I am not particularly tall myself (180 cm = 6') I have found the stock seating position quite cramped and that's why I designed the famous power seat height adjustment. http://picasaweb.google.com/pozoizqu...ERSEATADJUSTER
But I soon realized that the front side of the seat needs to be raised as well. I did not go for any powered mechanism on there any more but merely extended the seat front bracket so that the nose of the seat sits a total of 42 mm higher than stock.

So my recipe for the tall guys would be to extend the front bracket up to 20 - 42 mm (42 mm is the max IMHO) and also extend the rear (two position bracket that folds out from the seat) maximum of 50 - 60 mm.
Extending the rear bracket is just my idea. I have never done it myself as my seat does not even have that part any more due to the quite extensive power seat mod.

A tall guy can have the seat permanently in high position unlike a shortie like me who needs to lower the seat in the city traffic, so if the powered seat adjuster seems to far out job just raise the seat by modifying the brackets. It is not a terribly difficult job but of course some basic welding skills (either own or borrowed) will be needed.

This affects the looks of the bike somewhat (depending on the year of the bike how severly) and in the following photo album there are some pictures with explanations on how I fixed the looks issue. My '05 bike has the older model seat pan (Russell seat) so the actual need for covering the gap between the tupperware and the seat pan depends somewhat on the year of the bike.

http://picasaweb.google.com/pozoizqu...TTOCOVERTHEGAP

Regards

Ari "the Farkle-Freak-Finn" Ignatius

Hyvinkää, Finland
2004 ('05) LT, Dark Graphite, "Sunset Cruiser II"

Bike trip from Finland to USA:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pictures of various farkle projects:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old May 11th, 2007, 3:50 pm

You win again. Time to hang a shingle.

Ghaison (Jason)
99 K1200RS Silver and Blue (Sold!)
2004 K1200LT FOR SALE!!!
Bluefield, VA
Sometimes you can get so fixated on the fact that you are right that you lose sight of the reality that it doesn't matter.
-some guy named Ghaison circa 2002

post #3 of 13 Old May 11th, 2007, 5:21 pm
Lifetime Supporter

In awe.

Wow! Man, I want to hang with you. Too Kewl.

Jer

Jerry Palma
99 K1200LTI Champagne 'Oh, Kay' (dropped: 5)
97 K1100LT Aspen Silver Night High Line 'Silver Knight'
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'
08 535xi Space Gray metallic
09 328i Silver Convertable
17 X3 Glacier Silver metallic

BMWMOA #157323 / ABC #11368 -- All-in-all a newbie!

I love these bikes regardless of what I've needed to fix on them. I'll: Just Ride 'em!

post #4 of 13 Old Jan 23rd, 2008, 12:28 pm

hmmm First I wonder what a "tall" guy is on this bike`?

I am 6`3" or 186 cm tall and I am wondering if this bike is to low for me to sit comfortable and how it will be when standing stil?

I am sure that when I get it, I will find out lots of modifications on it, beeing a design engineer and having good friends at the workshop
post #5 of 13 Old Jan 23rd, 2008, 12:42 pm
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by atrovarious
You win again. Time to hang a shingle.
Yep, I want to hang out with him too! Wonder what it is like to be a Genius?

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic (Sold)
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 (Sold)
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT (Totaled 2010)
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959
post #6 of 13 Old Jan 23rd, 2008, 1:09 pm
Cooler on the east coast!!!

Great job! I am 6' 5" and find the bike as with most other things to small and cramped. I have dealt with it most of my life so really do not know any different.

G-Glove
2003 Silver LTC
post #7 of 13 Old Jan 23rd, 2008, 1:18 pm

Using some peg lowering breckets was all I found needed to undo the cramped feeling of this 6"1" LT owner.

"00" Canyon Red LTI ~ Well Farklized ~ Bug Splattered
Our "semi" quiet riot
*** Trailer Too ***

T
wisties Required

post #8 of 13 Old Jan 24th, 2008, 9:43 am

I am 6'2"+ and have a 37-38" inseam. I am all legs. I have the seat in the lower position and other than being a bit cramped on a long ride, I like the way the handlebars feel. In the raised spot, I feel like I am sitting on top of the bike and have to reach down to find the controls. Throw in the XL J-pegs and it's all good.

"BONES" <///><

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
post #9 of 13 Old Jan 24th, 2008, 12:59 pm

Ari.. can you give us info about the "contact cement"? Is the regular sticky stuff what you used...the one in a bottle and brush?

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #10 of 13 Old Jan 24th, 2008, 1:10 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by paalao
hmmm First I wonder what a "tall" guy is on this bike`?

I am 6`3" or 186 cm tall and I am wondering if this bike is to low for me to sit comfortable and how it will be when standing stil?

I am sure that when I get it, I will find out lots of modifications on it, beeing a design engineer and having good friends at the workshop
I'm 6'1", 250lbs and 32" inside leg - standard seat (on high setting) and I can ride all day long. I don't mind the stock seat, would be gobsmacked to see how much better a custom seat is.

• 2005 LT - 17 countries, 2 CONTINENTS & counting !
  • MB SLK 350 MT
  • 1974 Triumph Bonneville 750

post #11 of 13 Old Jan 28th, 2008, 2:05 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfell
Ari.. can you give us info about the "contact cement"? Is the regular sticky stuff what you used...the one in a bottle and brush?
Hi Channing, the contact glue or cement that I used was just some ordinary hardware store stuff. The kind that you brush on both (clean) surfaces, wait a while and the press the sides together. Nothing special, really.
I would suppose that the upholstery professionals have their own favorites, you might get good hints from them, or whaddya say Ron Miller?

Regards

Ari "the Farkle-Freak-Finn" Ignatius

Hyvinkää, Finland
2004 ('05) LT, Dark Graphite, "Sunset Cruiser II"

Bike trip from Finland to USA:

Pictures of various farkle projects:

post #12 of 13 Old Jan 28th, 2008, 9:42 am

Thanks, Ari!

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #13 of 13 Old Jul 1st, 2013, 7:27 pm

Re: Raising the seat for tall guys

6'2"+ 240lbs 34" inseam. I don't see how to raise or lower my seat but I flat foot both sides very comfortably. I just got back from looking under it and what do you know? I have heated seats! Only owned the bike for 8 months... I should spend a little time with my Clymer's manual!

I'm editing the above typos as you read this.
1999 Basalt Grey

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in