Flag pole ideas - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 Old May 11th, 2007, 3:09 pm Thread Starter

Flag pole ideas

A while ago there was a thread on the flag pole. I have added some pictures and description to my web album on the Gold Wing flag pole that I installed to my LT a year ago. I bit the bullett and purchased a OEM CB antenna bracket and used that as my flag pole base.
This setup has been tested on the German autobahns at 200 kph with a Finnish flag flying and both the pole and flag held together...

The pics are here:

http://picasaweb.google.com/pozoizquierdo/FLAGPOLE

Regards

Ari "the Farkle-Freak-Finn" Ignatius

Hyvinkää, Finland
2004 ('05) LT, Dark Graphite, "Sunset Cruiser II"

Bike trip from Finland to USA:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pictures of various farkle projects:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old May 11th, 2007, 5:43 pm

Ari...Very cool. Thanks for the pictures. I was just trying to figure out how to mount a Goldwing folding antenna on my LT because my LT antenna hits the bottom of my garage door when I enter and leave because the garage door height is very low. So far my project doesn't look promising.

Thanks for all the other project writeups you have shared with the forum members.

Best regards from Chicago

Jim S.
'07 SturmGrau K1200LT

“Not all those who wander are lost.”

post #3 of 27 Old May 11th, 2007, 6:21 pm

no way...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pozo_izquierdo
A while ago there was a thread on the flag pole. I have added some pictures and description to my web album on the Gold Wing flag pole that I installed to my LT a year ago. I bit the bullett and purchased a OEM CB antenna bracket and used that as my flag pole base.
This setup has been tested on the German autobahns at 200 kph with a Finnish flag flying and both the pole and flag held together...

The pics are here:

Regards
I was just logging on to the site to ask any advice as to how to mount flags on LT's and RT's. Too Weird.

post #4 of 27 Old May 11th, 2007, 6:44 pm

Ari;

Another nice job! Just add $$ & stir...
post #5 of 27 Old May 11th, 2007, 6:59 pm

Quote:

The pics are here:

Regards
Ari:

Are you SURE we're not twin sons of different mothers?

Here's what I was doing with REAL flagpole mounts just today...

..and yes, the umbrella fits inside the trailer, and was $15.00...

Unfortunately, it failed in the parking lot at 10 kph.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Umbrella mount 004.jpg
Views:	570
Size:	129.8 KB
ID:	11649   Click image for larger version

Name:	Umbrella mount 001.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	11650   Click image for larger version

Name:	Umbrella mount 003.jpg
Views:	363
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	11651   Click image for larger version

Name:	Umbrella mount 005.jpg
Views:	431
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	11652   Click image for larger version

Name:	Umbrella mount 008.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	104.7 KB
ID:	11653  

"Like Butt-ahh!"

Last edited by RonKMiller; May 11th, 2007 at 7:09 pm.
post #6 of 27 Old May 12th, 2007, 7:06 am

Ari,

Just came in from the garage where I was making one to fly a large flag in the parade Saturday week, about 5000 bikes riding through town.

Mine mounts on the Uni Go coupling, I'll take some photos in the morning when the paint dries and post them tomorrow.

Daz

Never take life too seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway…..

Black (03) LT
Matching Uni-Go
Ulysses Member 30740

Growing Old Disgracefully.....
post #7 of 27 Old May 13th, 2007, 6:11 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daza
Ari,

Just came in from the garage where I was making one to fly a large flag in the parade Saturday week, about 5000 bikes riding through town.

Mine mounts on the Uni Go coupling, I'll take some photos in the morning when the paint dries and post them tomorrow.
Here's a couple of photos of my Uni-Go flag mount....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4398 (Large).JPG
Views:	279
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	11670   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4400 (Large).JPG
Views:	413
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	11671  

Daz

Never take life too seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway…..

Black (03) LT
Matching Uni-Go
Ulysses Member 30740

Growing Old Disgracefully.....
post #8 of 27 Old May 13th, 2007, 6:27 am

Nice job guys!
Ari, what is the guage mounted next to the speaker in the top box for?

Orange, NSW
'99 K1200LT - Basalt Grey (traded in for)
2007 GL1800 - Dark Orange Metallic
Ulysses Member 32701
post #9 of 27 Old May 13th, 2007, 7:41 am

Brian the gauge on Ari's bike is for the air compressor when adding air to tires!

NOGILLS2

Booze Brother# 69
2003 K1200LTE "BEERBURNER" RIP 07/21/09
2006 Aluma Trailer "AFTERBURNER" SOLD
2007 ST1300ABS "Quicksilver"

post #10 of 27 Old May 13th, 2007, 9:39 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Hi Daz,

nice setup for the parade use. I could make something similar to mount on the Dauntless hitch receiver if only I could figure out an occasion to use it...

Regards

Ari "the Farkle-Freak-Finn" Ignatius

Hyvinkää, Finland
2004 ('05) LT, Dark Graphite, "Sunset Cruiser II"

Bike trip from Finland to USA:

Pictures of various farkle projects:

post #11 of 27 Old May 14th, 2007, 6:15 am

This has been and interesting thread to read through. For those folks that have trailer hitches on their bikes, except for UniGo, you can find a flag adapter for you hitch at Flag Pole To Go. The motorcycle mount is at the bottom of the page, but there are plenty of other options for temporarily flying a flag.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #12 of 27 Old May 14th, 2007, 8:20 am

Quote:
Very nice job! Could I encourage you to make another one and sent it to me? Of course I'd pay you a fair amount for the materials and your time.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

-----------------------------------------------

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #13 of 27 Old May 23rd, 2007, 4:29 am

Quote:

The pics are here:

Regards
Hi Ari
Thank you for sharing a very interesting solution and all the other stuff, amazing.

Yamaha FZS 600 Fazer, 2003
BMW K1200LTC, 2000

----------------
Mazda 323, 2000
Dodge Durango Limited, 5,7 Hemi, 2004
----------------
Honda CB500 K4, 1976 (sold 1979)

Björn Tryggvason
post #14 of 27 Old May 23rd, 2007, 6:53 am

I ended up with this kind of solution, because I wanted to keep the CB antenna.

Jari

Jari P. Orivesi, Finland
-05 BMW LT, Gold
IBA member # 24952

Last edited by pomppe; May 23rd, 2007 at 7:16 am.
post #15 of 27 Old May 23rd, 2007, 10:03 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by pomppe
I ended up with this kind of solution, because I wanted to keep the CB antenna.

Jari

Ooooh I like this. Where did you get those brackets! Thanks for any info. Ken
post #16 of 27 Old May 23rd, 2007, 12:22 pm

My good friend manufactured the bracket from 5mm stainless steel. Just cut in the shape, drilled 2 holes, one for the stainless steel rod and other one for antenna base to go through. The bracket and the rod ( pole ) was then sanded... and sanded...... and sanded smooth, and finally polished. We made a m6 thread in the end of the pole for nut. Then just thighten the bracket between the base and the base where the antenna is attached. Also I cut the plastic cover from right hight so that You put the lower piece under the bracket and the top half above the bracket. To tighten the bracket there makes the pole stand in same angle as the antenna. Actually very simple solution, and dosen´t cost much. Works fine, tested with flag at 90 mph. Jari

Jari P. Orivesi, Finland
-05 BMW LT, Gold
IBA member # 24952
post #17 of 27 Old May 23rd, 2007, 3:32 pm

I need one, well ok really want one, in the next couple of weeks for a charity ride I am on from Seattle to Toronto. Since I am not the Baron who fabs things in his sleep I don't think I could manage this in the time frame. Would you be willing to part with one (for a price) and have another made tp replace yours when needed? Of course this assumes that you don't fly the flag on a regular basis. Let me know. Thanks Ken
post #18 of 27 Old May 23rd, 2007, 3:54 pm

I let You know tomorrow. If My friend is not too busy he can make one for You in a day. If not, You can have mine. I let You know the price if he makes one for You. There will be some shipping costs too, but the bracket and the pole does not weight much. This design is for the CB antenna on the right side. The radio antenna on left has different kind of base. Let me know the lenght of the pole You want, mine is 60 cm. Jari
P.S. If You can find somebody in this forum who is familiar working with stainless steel, You are welcome to "steel" the design

Jari P. Orivesi, Finland
-05 BMW LT, Gold
IBA member # 24952
post #19 of 27 Old May 23rd, 2007, 5:09 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by pomppe
I let You know tomorrow. If My friend is not too busy he can make one for You in a day. If not, You can have mine. I let You know the price if he makes one for You. There will be some shipping costs too, but the bracket and the pole does not weight much. This design is for the CB antenna on the right side. The radio antenna on left has different kind of base. Let me know the lenght of the pole You want, mine is 60 cm. Jari
P.S. If You can find somebody in this forum who is familiar working with stainless steel, You are welcome to "steel" the design

I need one for the Radio antenna if that is possible. 60 cm seems to look good. Holy cow you are in Finland. Yeoow. That could be pricey! Let me know sir. Thanks.
post #20 of 27 Old May 23rd, 2007, 5:46 pm

Andy

Can you change Ken's "hdfan" and maintain his history for him?

Dude... you really gotta get "ltfan" or something.

I mean... I like HD and spent many hours on several... no dissin hear but comon I gotta ride over 5,000 with you.

You got the bike... now let go...

ZBaron

Mike Gregg
2012 K1600GTL (Oooh La La)
25K and building Fast
99 K1200LT (SOLD)
135,000 and she treated me right.

"Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known."

post #21 of 27 Old May 23rd, 2007, 6:47 pm

For those with access to some good cutting/welding equipment, you can try this too. My friend built this for my bike.

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthre...ight=flag+pole

Prakash Krishnamurthy

2004 R1150RT Titanium Grey

post #22 of 27 Old May 23rd, 2007, 7:05 pm
ajs

I just finished making a flag pole for our LT. It was a quick job that came up at the last minute for our trip across Canada that starts next Friday.

The pole is mounted to a bracket that I made from 16 ga. stainless and attaches to the underside of the OEM radio antenna. The pole is made from 3/8" stainless tubing that is attached to the bracket by means of an 8mm x 1.25 bolt that passes through a hole in the bracket. The pole is bent to match the angle of the antenna. I'm guessing the pole will be about 27" in length, long enough to accommodate a Canadian and N. S. flag one on top of the other.

We will be crossing back and forth across the Canada - U. S. border as we go. We are also planning to take in the MOA rally in Wisconsin on the return and wanted to have the flags flying.

If anyone is interested and wants pictures I will take some and post them here if I can. Just let me know.
post #23 of 27 Old May 23rd, 2007, 7:12 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronVonGregg
Andy

Can you change Ken's "hdfan" and maintain his history for him?

Dude... you really gotta get "ltfan" or something.

I mean... I like HD and spent many hours on several... no dissin hear but comon I gotta ride over 5,000 with you.

You got the bike... now let go...

ZBaron
I still have all the hd clothers and stuff, I think I will change it to HDPOSER. And maybe because I am Canadian, it should be DHPoserHoser...
post #24 of 27 Old May 24th, 2007, 11:37 am

Ken, it can´t be done on left radio antenna mount, totally different base.
I wonder what happened to my pictures? Jari

Jari P. Orivesi, Finland
-05 BMW LT, Gold
IBA member # 24952
post #25 of 27 Old May 24th, 2007, 11:52 am

Jari

The pictures never viewed for me... weird

Can you post them again?

Mike

Mike Gregg
2012 K1600GTL (Oooh La La)
25K and building Fast
99 K1200LT (SOLD)
135,000 and she treated me right.

"Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known."

post #26 of 27 Old May 24th, 2007, 2:18 pm

I don´t know what happened to my pics. Somebody stole them
Maybe it´s safer to do this way: Flag pole pics can be seen at http://picasaweb.google.fi/pomppe/Flag Jari

Jari P. Orivesi, Finland
-05 BMW LT, Gold
IBA member # 24952
post #27 of 27 Old May 24th, 2007, 2:22 pm

What the h**l, now the pics are back in my previous posts!!!! Spooky

Jari P. Orivesi, Finland
-05 BMW LT, Gold
IBA member # 24952

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in