Random starter - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old May 11th, 2007, 7:06 am Thread Starter

Random starter

Reading through the replies to the "Starter problems" posted by Clif raised a question for me.

1) Does the starter button require routine cleaning like on the older "K" bikes? I.e. clean the copper contacts in the switch assembly.

On my 02 LT I have noticed that every so often I press the starter button and nothing. Try it again and it turns over fine. I figured just wasn't depressing the button enough. Since it has always started and turns over fine don't think it is a battery issue. Does not matter if hot or cold. Doing ERC tomorrow so this should be a test of the battery condition.

Thanks

Roy

Roy Gregersen

Ride Slow, Ride Fast, Always Ride Safe
85 K100RT sold
02 LTC DOA 9/21/14
12 R1200RT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old May 11th, 2007, 8:05 am

I have not heard of that problem. It sounds like the logical answer though. My father's Yamaha Venture had a problem like that one time. It turned out that he had lubed the throttle cable and used too much grease. I took it apart and cleaned the switch and it did fine. Yours sounds like the contacts getting dirty.
post #3 of 6 Old May 11th, 2007, 8:59 am

Erc

Hey Roy

I'm taking the ERC tomorrow also. I assume your in the one our friend Jeff is teaching.
I looked up the part diagram for the right hand switch assembly, it looks like they sell it as a complete assembly not just the starter switch. I looked at the one on my bike and it doesn't look like it comes apart. Hopefully it works tomorrow.

Bill Hedgspeth

post #4 of 6 Old May 11th, 2007, 9:32 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear
Reading through the replies to the "Starter problems" posted by Clif raised a question for me.

1) Does the starter button require routine cleaning like on the older "K" bikes? I.e. clean the copper contacts in the switch assembly.

On my 02 LT I have noticed that every so often I press the starter button and nothing. Try it again and it turns over fine. I figured just wasn't depressing the button enough. Since it has always started and turns over fine don't think it is a battery issue. Does not matter if hot or cold. Doing ERC tomorrow so this should be a test of the battery condition.

Thanks

Roy
Hi, Roy - lissen, you got an alarm unit on your scoot?? Reason I ax is, ole Blue Truck has an alarm system, and one of the instructions in the manual emphasized: key in - count '1' - turn key to start the engine. Somethang about giving the computer/alarm unit time to wake up and get that first cup - actually said "slow down the sequence". I began to experiment with that protocol, and sure enough, everytime I twisted the key 'too' fast, no start. Off - then count '1' - then "we have ignition". Not sure if that is your problem (and definitely not, if you don't have an alarm unit), butt possible.
post #5 of 6 Old May 11th, 2007, 10:09 am Thread Starter

Alarm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
Hi, Roy - lissen, you got an alarm unit on your scoot?? Reason I ax is, ole Blue Truck has an alarm system, and one of the instructions in the manual emphasized: key in - count '1' - turn key to start the engine. Somethang about giving the computer/alarm unit time to wake up and get that first cup - actually said "slow down the sequence". I began to experiment with that protocol, and sure enough, everytime I twisted the key 'too' fast, no start. Off - then count '1' - then "we have ignition". Not sure if that is your problem (and definitely not, if you don't have an alarm unit), butt possible.
It has the factory alarm system so this may also be something to consider. I can't say that I have paid attention but habit is turn key & hit go button. I know for certain there are times it has not finished the brake sequence.

Will have to act to my age I guess... Old N Slo

Thanks

Roy

Roy Gregersen

85 K100RT sold
02 LTC DOA 9/21/14
12 R1200RT
post #6 of 6 Old May 11th, 2007, 10:13 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkswan
Hey Roy

I'm taking the ERC tomorrow also. I assume your in the one our friend Jeff is teaching.
I looked up the part diagram for the right hand switch assembly, it looks like they sell it as a complete assembly not just the starter switch. I looked at the one on my bike and it doesn't look like it comes apart. Hopefully it works tomorrow.

Bill Hedgspeth
Bill,
I have not looked at the LT but on the Old K they do come apart. I am willing to bet that BMW does not show individual parts on them either. I can tell you from experience you need good eyes, small dextrous fingers and patience when cleaning these things.

And yup same ERC course with our friend Jeff, hope you are bringing your LT so that I ain't the light truck doing maneuvers on the range.

Roy

Roy Gregersen

85 K100RT sold
02 LTC DOA 9/21/14
12 R1200RT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in