Bluetooth helmet? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old May 10th, 2007, 9:57 pm Thread Starter

Bluetooth helmet?

Has anyone tried a “Bluetooth” equipped helmet, what’s the verdict?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old May 11th, 2007, 6:03 am

I have not tried a Bluetooth helmet, but I do have a Cardo Scala Rider Bluetooth headset on my Sy-Max and it works perfect for me.

They even now have a FM version wth speakers for both ears and a Scala Team set that can be used as an intercom and Bluetooth as well. Don't know much about these two offerings, but the unit I have is top notch.

The sound is clear and people don't know I am on the motorcycle when talking. The volume is great even at highway superslab speeds. Yesterday I even talked to my wife at speed with earplugs in (just started wearing them).

Great investment and it allows you to use with your favorite helmet mfg.

Best of luck in your search,

Randy

2000 Canyon Red "Crimson Cruiser"
40,000 miles grinning, and counting....
BMWMOA # 131660
post #3 of 11 Old May 11th, 2007, 6:43 am

I have also just purchased the Scala Rider "Team Set" but havent had a chance to try it. I'm hoping that I can interface with my Zumo via Bluetooth and my wife at the same time for a wireless set up.

I'll report back on it's performance one I get it mounted up and out for a test ride.

-Ekim
2005 K1200LT (R.I.P.)
Manchester, MD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 11 Old May 11th, 2007, 8:06 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekim
I have also just purchased the Scala Rider "Team Set" but havent had a chance to try it. I'm hoping that I can interface with my Zumo via Bluetooth and my wife at the same time for a wireless set up.

I'll report back on it's performance one I get it mounted up and out for a test ride.
I purchased the Scala Team Set last weekend. The seller (The Helmet Shop) charged it for a few minutes, installed it on our helmets, & let us take it for a test ride. Worked well enough. Any lack of performance I attributed to having only a minimal charge. Hope I'm right.

My Zumo arrives today so I'll have an opportunity to do the setup sometime in the next few days. How do you have your Zumo mounted on your bike?

Jinks ('86fxrs, '07 FLTR)

Remember, "No good deed goes unpunished"
post #5 of 11 Old May 11th, 2007, 8:31 am

Quote:
How do you have your Zumo mounted on your bike?
I have it mounted with the factory GPS mount on the stingray that came with my '05.

I'll snap a pic when I get the bike all back together (just finished the 12K last night), hopefully this afternoon.

Good to hear that the intial impression of the Scala is good. I'm looking forward to a wireless system.

-Ekim
2005 K1200LT (R.I.P.)
Manchester, MD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 11 Old May 11th, 2007, 9:15 am

I'm also lookin' forward to the wireless system. I don't use the radio or any communication/music devices when I ride, but the one thing I would appreciate is the voice info from the GPS. My SP III works well on the bike, but it's even better in the van where the voice works. That'll be it's home after the Zumo arrives.

I appreciate the offer of a picture, but do it for others since mine is an '02. I'm currently using the factory mount through the dash light & may try to cobble together something to continue using that. I like the location, & already have the wiring there.

post #7 of 11 Old May 11th, 2007, 12:19 pm

I like it but....

See my post with respect to functionality diagram. It gives you an idea what you loose when using Bluetooth enabled helmets.

I have the Nolan N-Com system for myself and 2 Dainese Bluetooth (built-in) setups when I'm riding 2-up. My wife & I really like the Dainese helmets because they are extremely light. If I'm going on a long trip, I'll take a shorty and the Dainese, it reduces neck strain from my giant sized bowling ball head plus helmet weight.

My problem with Bluetooth is that I would like to get all of the features of being wired to the CommSystem. I haven't found or worked out a good plan for a Bluetooth adapter which connects to the wired plug. The later may be a long journey.

Cheers,

Sam Martin

'07 LT

post #8 of 11 Old May 11th, 2007, 2:07 pm

Just read your post on your wired vs bluetooth questions. Your diagrams & the others responses covered it pretty well. For what you want to accomplish bluetooth is a poor way to go if for no other reason than battery capacity. Since I don't use any radio/cd/ipod, etc. it should be a great way for me to get the GPS voice. I only invested in the "Team Set" for the minor convenience of being able to talk to my wife without her having to raise her face shield & ask me to repeat what I just said.......

post #9 of 11 Old May 12th, 2007, 9:06 pm

I am also looking to use the Zumo bluetooth for voice prompts and mp3's and the "team set" for the intercom.

Here are some pics of how the Zumo mounts to the 2005 GPS kit:

-Ekim
2005 K1200LT (R.I.P.)
Manchester, MD

post #10 of 11 Old May 12th, 2007, 10:13 pm

I have the Nolan 102. It works flawlessly with the Razr phone on both the LT and the Sportster, and also interfaces with the Garmin SP.

I would like to see a bluetooth "hub" that has inputs for whatever you wish to connect (i.e. xm radio). Also would like to figure a way to get an output from the LT sound system to interface with the excellent speakers.
post #11 of 11 Old May 13th, 2007, 3:49 am

I have the Autocom pro fitted and it has a bluetooth dongle which allows you to connect to other bluetooth enabled devices and have them output through the intercom.

This works for me as I can have the Garmin 2820 and my Cell connect automatically everytime i start up and get all the nav and traffic warnings as well as the full phone functions including voive dialling.

i did not go for the bluetooth helmet due to battery life. When bluetooth is in standby the power usage is much lower than when in full use. Listening to music from the bikes stereo on a long trip would drain the helmet battery quickly and having to carry battery packs in pockets wired to helmet defeats the object. One plug as I sit on the bike and I am up and running, just my 2 cents worth.
mike

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in