YES its another thread about saddles - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old May 10th, 2007, 5:11 pm Thread Starter

YES its another thread about saddles

I was getting ready to send my seat in for a new Bill Mayer Saddle. Then I read more about other saddles and started rethinking abit. I have read many post, looked at the survey and been to many websites. I have come down to 2, Bill Mayer (Rocky) or Rick Mayer. I can get the Rick Mayer saddle for about $100.00 less but have to wait a bit longer to get it. The RM site seams to have more info about the seats but, no one can tell me what the two brothers do different I know there are a million opinions about different seats and almost that many post on the issue. So I am looking for a comparison between the Mayer's.

Thanks for any input
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old May 10th, 2007, 8:40 pm

Bottom line: No pun intended.

Rick takes your stock seat, re-shapes it, (dishes) glues on foam "wings" and a distinctive top stitching pattern made from vinyl or leather.

Rocky uses pre-cast molds made from soft, medium or high density polyurethane and adds a smooth cover in vinyl or leather.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #3 of 7 Old May 11th, 2007, 8:29 am Thread Starter

Thanks for that clarification Ron. It seems as if the Rick Mayer may be the better seat. His website does a good job of selling the seat much like your Kontour seat does. Im stuck on leather or the Kontour would be a consideration.

post #4 of 7 Old May 11th, 2007, 6:38 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmcg
Thanks for that clarification Ron. It seems as if the Rick Mayer may be the better seat. His website does a good job of selling the seat much like your Kontour seat does. Im stuck on leather or the Kontour would be a consideration.
Awww shucks, thanks for the compliment... butt leather is so.... 70's!

Pleased to send you a sample of our fabric - it is literally light years ahead of vinyl or leather. Hey, if it's good enough for these cars, it's good enough for moi.

(and we use a special thicker perforated version rated for outdoor use...)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Veyron.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	187.1 KB
ID:	11647   Click image for larger version

Name:	AstonMartin.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	159.2 KB
ID:	11648  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #5 of 7 Old May 11th, 2007, 10:10 pm

A friend of mine who has an RT has had many seats on it. He is a big guy and has had a Russell, Rick Mayer and I convinced him to try one of Rocky Mayer's seats. I had Rocky build a seat for my KTM950 for touring and it is a really good seat. My friend set up a ride in and I went with him. Rocky spends a lot of time to get the seat just right for you and after getting it done we rode about three hours home, he loved the seat best one he has had, he sold the Rick Mayer. One of the important things to do is try to do a ride-in. On my LT I have a KonTour and like Ron says the material is very impressive it stays cool and after 20k miles shows no sign of wear and it really does look good even Rocky liked the material. The only things I don't like about the KonTour is it is a little to rounded and after a few hours it gets a little to soft. I have no problem doing 500 mile days and have done a few 700 to 900 mile days and I only have those two complaints.

05' LT Dark Grey, "Battle Star"
14' KTM 1190
03' KTM 450 EXC Dually
72' Honda SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
65' Honda CB160
70' Honda CB350
post #6 of 7 Old May 12th, 2007, 11:05 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmatson
A friend of mine who has an RT has had many seats on it. He is a big guy and has had a Russell, Rick Mayer and I convinced him to try one of Rocky Mayer's seats. I had Rocky build a seat for my KTM950 for touring and it is a really good seat. My friend set up a ride in and I went with him. Rocky spends a lot of time to get the seat just right for you and after getting it done we rode about three hours home, he loved the seat best one he has had, he sold the Rick Mayer. One of the important things to do is try to do a ride-in. On my LT I have a KonTour and like Ron says the material is very impressive it stays cool and after 20k miles shows no sign of wear and it really does look good even Rocky liked the material. The only things I don't like about the KonTour is it is a little to rounded and after a few hours it gets a little to soft. I have no problem doing 500 mile days and have done a few 700 to 900 mile days and I only have those two complaints.
Hey Doug:

We can easilyflatten it and make it more firm - no charge and a one day turnaround. Sometimes a little "tweaking" is all it needs.

I'll be out of town for the next two weeks - but if you want to send it toward the end of the month we'll knock it out quick.

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #7 of 7 Old May 12th, 2007, 11:11 am

Thanks Ron, I am leaving for a week trip to Torrey with the STboard guys this week (on my b-day) so when I get back I will pm you.
Thanks Doug

05' LT Dark Grey, "Battle Star"
14' KTM 1190
03' KTM 450 EXC Dually
72' Honda SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
65' Honda CB160
70' Honda CB350

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in