CommSystem Newbee Question - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old May 10th, 2007, 1:43 pm Thread Starter

CommSystem Newbee Question

I have an '07 with factory CommSystem, iPOD via AUX, NAV III system.

My question is around the NAV III sending audio prompts through the speakers.

1. Can the NAV audio pop through the external speakers?
2. If the answer is yes, would I be able to listen to my iPOD via the AUX port on the CommSystem and have NAV audio drive through the external speakers at the same time?

I'm having trouble getting through the documentation to figure out setting to make this work.

More information regarding what I've played with so far:
  • I've connected my iPAQ hw6945 cell via bluetooth to the NAV system and have gotten that to work. Nice to be able to sync contact lists with NAV
  • I've connected my Nolan N-Com bluetooth setup with the NAV system and am able to receive and make phone calls through this setup. Things are golden so far.
  • I've disconnected all bluetooth devices from NAV making sure I am not re-routing audio to some other devices but still no NAV audio through external speakers.

I would think that while I had the bluetooth headset profile connected that all NAV prompts would route through the headset. I would also think that if I disconnected all headset profiles that the NAV would default to sending it out through the CommSystem and on through external speakers if I do not have anything plugged into the hard link to the CommSystem.

Any help setting me straight or references to docs on this would be grateful.

Cheers,

Sam Martin
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'07 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old May 10th, 2007, 3:10 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Think of the comm system and radio as separate items. The comm system receives audio from the radio, the AUX input and passes that to the helmets. There was no design effort to take comm system audio and pass it back to the radio. There is an aux in set of pins in the connector that the comm system ties into the radio on but I'll guess they are not used and may be available to tap into.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #3 of 8 Old May 10th, 2007, 5:26 pm Thread Starter

Paint me a picture

OK, so I'm having a hard time visualizing this thing and drew a diagram.

So, is what you are saying, based on the diagram I've attached, essentially this?
  • The Outs from the Radio/CD/Aux can all go to the external speakers or the wired helmet
  • The Out/Mic from the wired FRS/Cell and the Out from the NAV III (Alerts Only, e.g., route voice prompts, etc) communicate only with the wired helmet
  • The Bluetooth links between the NAV III, Cell, Bluetooth helmet will only provide communications between the three and nothing to/from the CommSystem

Question - If I used a wired helmet, would the Bluetooth connection between the NAV III and the Cell work through the helmet speakers/MIC?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LT_Communications_Diagram.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	11640  

Cheers,

Sam Martin

'07 LT

post #4 of 8 Old May 10th, 2007, 6:42 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

You are close on your diagram. If you move the speakers down to under the AM FM radio and move the arrow from the comm to the radio that comes from the CD you will have it. The speakers are not connected to the comm system - only the radio and the CD feeds the radio.

The only AUX input you have (in the oddiments box) feeds the comm system not the radio. There is 3 pins on a 10 pin connector that form an AUX input to the radio. That same 10 pin connector is where the comm system plugs in to get its audio FROM the radio/CD unit. There is no provision to send comm audio TO the radio which in turn drives the speakers.

Don't know about the blue tooth as I have limited experience with it.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #5 of 8 Old May 11th, 2007, 7:24 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler
You are close on your diagram. If you move the speakers down to under the AM FM radio and move the arrow from the comm to the radio that comes from the CD you will have it. The speakers are not connected to the comm system - only the radio and the CD feeds the radio.

The only AUX input you have (in the oddiments box) feeds the comm system not the radio. There is 3 pins on a 10 pin connector that form an AUX input to the radio. That same 10 pin connector is where the comm system plugs in to get its audio FROM the radio/CD unit. There is no provision to send comm audio TO the radio which in turn drives the speakers.

Don't know about the blue tooth as I have limited experience with it.
One correction John. The AUX input on the VOICE II is a direct input into the radio. Any device plugged into the AUX will play through the radio and be heard thru the external speakers, helmet headsets or both. The input for the GPS, phone, FRS or CB does not go through the radio and is only heard in the headsets.
If the GPS was plugged into the AUX port he would hear it thru the external speakers and the headsets. Of course, he'd lose the input for his iPOD. I haven't tried it, but he could use a passive mixer to introduce both the iPOD and the GPS into the AUX port but there would be no muting of the iPOD when the GPS announced; they'd play over each other.

Bruce Hodges
post #6 of 8 Old May 11th, 2007, 8:23 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce2000ltc
If the GPS was plugged into the AUX port he would hear it thru the external speakers and the headsets. Of course, he'd lose the input for his iPOD. I haven't tried it, but he could use a passive mixer to introduce both the iPOD and the GPS into the AUX port but there would be no muting of the iPOD when the GPS announced; they'd play over each other.
If he wanted to use his AUX port for GPS and iPod, there is a device known as the "Jeff McCraken Audio Box." It automatically switches inputs based on priority levels. I don't know if he still makes them anymore but I put his website link below to give you a resource. He custom made one for me when I was trying to get my old Goldwing set up with communication. If he doesn't make them anymore and if you are a do-it-yourselfer (or know someone who is), he has kindly put a schematic on his site. It worked well. This is a pass through device only. The only issue that I had was related to amplifcation of the sound from my iPod. I did not have a AUX port on the Goldwing so I could not use the Wing's radio system amplifier, thus my iPod volume level wasn't sufficient for me. Consider the link below as "food for thought."

http://www.ldrider.ca/techpages/audiooverridebox.htm

Jim S.
'07 SturmGrau K1200LT

“Not all those who wander are lost.”

post #7 of 8 Old May 11th, 2007, 10:20 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce2000ltc
One correction John. The AUX input on the VOICE II is a direct input into the radio.
Thanks for clearing that up Bruce. I don't have the VOICE II but I am using the port it ties into.

I have built a simple mixer and added a small amp to boost the levels up. I mix XM, MP3, and GPS through this to get to the main amp in the radio. Of course I believe that you must have the radio in the AUX mode to get this through the speakers. You can't feed the AUX in from say the GPS and have it mix with AM/FM/CD radio.

I also used the AUX out to feed this back to my Autocomm unit so I can have it in the headset.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #8 of 8 Old May 11th, 2007, 11:59 am Thread Starter

Updated diagram

Updated diagram attached.

So it would appear to me that using Bluetooth is mostly useless for anything other than NAV and Cell. Seems like a lot of money to spend for Bluetooth just to keep from being wired. Having had many touring bikes in the past, I've always been nervous about being tethered to a bike in the event of an emergency. Pray the quick release releases.

Thanks for all your help guys. This makes things a lot clearer. I may take a poke at the schematic and see what I come up with but for now, it would seem that being wired has the most functionality.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LT_Communications_Diagram.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	11646  

Cheers,

Sam Martin

'07 LT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in