The seat makes all the difference - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old Apr 15th, 2007, 9:07 am Thread Starter

The seat makes all the difference

Here are my dimensions for a baseline. 5'8" and 225 lbs. 31" inseam. The stock seat has been fine so long as I don't ride over 200 miles or 3 hours at a time. Then I get a real pain in the a$$ and it seems like I am sitting on my hip bones. I finally went for a ride on my newly modified seat. Oh what a difference!! I immediately could not feel the pain spots that had always reminded me where it was going to hurt. I only went for a 2 hour ride but WOW, This is the way a premium seat should feel on a premium bike. I fell in love all over again with this bike. I had the local upholstery guy who rides a old "R" bike try to make this thing feel more like my old wing seat. That old thing is comfortable for 700+ miles at a shot. My guy brought the seat back to me last week but I didn't have any weather cooperation to try it out until yesterday. Here is what he did to the seat. He firmed it up and flattened it out where I sit. Then he narrowed up the front so that I could still reach the ground. Then he added some foam to the back of the seat to push me a little further forward to help relax my arms while riding. The seat now cradles me but does not have that crowned sensation. He then flattened out the passenger seat and put a layer of slightly denser foam on the top. Recover to fit and it feels much better to the S.O. She has not had a chance to ride yet but is getting itchy to try it out. I was lucky enough to have my local dealer provide me with a heated corbin seat to use while my stock seat was getting modified. They said I could purchase it if I liked it. The seat was great, but just not the fit I needed. I could barely touch the ground and I thought it was just a bit too firm for me. I returned the corbin to my dealer yesterday. If anybody is looking for a very slightly used corbin drivers seat the dealer would be willing to part with it for $200 us. Let me know and I can give you the dealers name/number. I am waiting for the first full day ride on my new seat. Ahhhhhhhh

2Wheelroadtrip (Barney)
03 LTC
82 Aspencade
Time Out camper

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

It's not where we go. It's that we go.

The information from this site and its members has proven to be invaluable again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old Apr 15th, 2007, 9:21 am

I have been considering the same thing. Sounds like it worked out great for you. Just need to find someone to do it right. That is nice your dealer let you borrow a seat. My kind of shop. Glad you are riding in comfort now.

Scott

2000 Canyon Red LTC
"Arizona"
"You are what you are and you ain't what you ain't."
post #3 of 14 Old Apr 15th, 2007, 9:31 am

People can talk all they want about *Farkles but a bike without a comfortable seat is a PITA!

on my 3 seat now.... 1. New custom Russell, 2. Corbin, *Great comfort but could not touch the ground much 3, Now lower Corbin so I can touch the ground easily!

47+ Yrs Daily Motorcycle Street riding for Therapy

2012 Victory Cross Country Tour
2007 Black Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - Sold
2007 Red Moto Guzzi Norge 1200 - Sold
2005 LT Dark Graphite - (Sold)
2005 PearlBlue FJR1300 (Sold)
3 BMW's, 8 HD baggers, 3 Goldwings & 860K + miles later
*Ridin steady since 1973
Religion began when the first scoundrel met the first fool. Voltaire.

post #4 of 14 Old Apr 15th, 2007, 9:47 am
Lifetime Supporter

Seats

Yes, the seat is the most important part of the bike. Without a good seat, the rest will not impress you enough to make up for it. My Yamaha Venture was the only bike I ever bought and did not change the seat. It was made to ride in. I've been thinking about asking my local boot/saddle maker if he could revamp my seat. They certainly aren't made for comfort and I have a 34" inseam and I'm 6' tall. I can flatfoot in any position. I wish Mustang made a seat for this bike. They make great seats.......

2006 R1200RT
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue
2003 K1200LTE Black
Totaled Oct 2, 2010
2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000
Most of us would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism.
post #5 of 14 Old Apr 15th, 2007, 5:29 pm

Roger that on the Yamaha Venture.
post #6 of 14 Old Aug 17th, 2007, 8:59 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_E
Roger that on the Yamaha Venture.
I also agree. My 84 I loved it just the way it was. SO liked the sheep skin. On the LT I like the sheep skin also. Try it on longer hauls. It may do just as good as getting a new seat.

Manny
Where is the nearest Tims?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Need to stay awake

post #7 of 14 Old Aug 17th, 2007, 10:14 pm

The stock seat does stink -- I just did 2 day of just over 1000 miles and my butt was killing me. I need to look for an aftermarket seat-- what have others purchased, and what do you like and dislike about the seat you got?? I've got another couple of day rides, one of over 1200 miles and one at about 900 miles ( these rides are part of a trip). I wish there was something I could do with a quick turnaround -- I don't like the fact of sending in my seat and then waiting a few weeks to get it back, I may just have to wait until the riding season is over and then do something about a new seat.
post #8 of 14 Old Aug 17th, 2007, 10:41 pm

Barney,
Janesville isn't too far from where I live. I'd be interested in talking with your upholstery guy or trying out the Corbin.

Kevin

Kevin
'06 K1200LT
post #9 of 14 Old Aug 18th, 2007, 8:27 am

Before I invest in a new seat I am trying all other options and here is one that so far is working pretty well; Bead Rider on the seat and bicycle riding pants with built in pads on me. Again so far this combination is working great on my stock 05 seat.
Bead Rider 45
Bike shorts 30
Total $75
My wife thinks the bike shorts are sexy so added bonus after a ride.
Dewman
post #10 of 14 Old Aug 18th, 2007, 9:53 am

I have my Corbin LOW heated seat for sale - as I have sold my LT.
Asking $225.00 and it is in excellent cond. Made all the difference in the world being able to touch ground flat footed and get out of the wind buffetting.

47+ Yrs Daily Motorcycle Street riding for Therapy

2012 Victory Cross Country Tour
2007 Black Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - Sold
2007 Red Moto Guzzi Norge 1200 - Sold
2005 LT Dark Graphite - (Sold)
2005 PearlBlue FJR1300 (Sold)
3 BMW's, 8 HD baggers, 3 Goldwings & 860K + miles later
*Ridin steady since 1973
Religion began when the first scoundrel met the first fool. Voltaire.

post #11 of 14 Old Aug 18th, 2007, 12:22 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Just had my seat rebuilt by Rich's in Seattle. Fantastic! I still wonder how anyone at BMW could sit on a convex seat with a convex ass...jus' don' make no sense to me.

Life happens...you control your reaction.

2017 KTM 350 EXC-F (single track monster)
2018 Honda CRF250L Rally (fun on the fire roads)
2015 R1200 RT (holy cow…what a bike)
2007 K1200 LT (sold)
2005 DR 650 (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra (sold)
1999 Harley Road King (sold)
1996 K1100 LT (sold)
1990 Honda Shadow (sold)
1978-1993 Raising Kids; Paying Mortgages
1975 Honda CB550 (sold but wish I still had)
Homemade Motor Bike (mounted a 3.5 HP Briggs & Stratton on my bicycle at age 12)
post #12 of 14 Old Jan 21st, 2008, 2:49 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Wheelroadtrip
Here is what he did to the seat. He firmed it up and flattened it out where I sit. Then he narrowed up the front so that I could still reach the ground. Then he added some foam to the back of the seat to push me a little further forward to help relax my arms while riding. The seat now cradles me but does not have that crowned sensation. He then flattened out the passenger seat and put a layer of slightly denser foam on the top. Recover to fit and it feels much better to the S.O.
Hi,

I have the same problem with you and want to lower the seat.
If you don't mind, could you please take a picture of the seat and submit it in this forum.
I read several times that some people also wanted to lower their seat, especially for short people like me (5'7").

Thanks a lot
jusuf
post #13 of 14 Old Jan 21st, 2008, 10:11 am
KIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewman
....My wife thinks the bike shorts are sexy so added bonus after a ride.
Dewman
Dewman..TMI buddy...TMI !

PROUD FATHER OF A MILITARY DAUGHTER !.
She's for sale
SOLD 7-19-08 [url]

There are those who ride BMW's.. and those who wish they did.

Ron's R11/1 Vergasser's - 1st Wingman

Sophmore : BMWLT - University of Luxury Touring Education

2000 K1200LTC Champagne SOLD 7-08
2006 KLR 650 - RED- The fast dual sport color !
2002 TW 200 - White/Blue - #1,The wife's CRF replacement.
2002 TW 200 - WhiteBlue - #2, My matching toy
2001 XT 225 - White/Blue - Sold 7/08
92 K75S Red and fast (sadly gone)

Yamaha YZ 250 for the dirt ( still good use for a smokin' 2-stroke !) In critical care 4/08
Honda CRF 230F - Wifey's dirt fun. (Sold)
Many Honda 750 F's (May they Rest In Peace)
post #14 of 14 Old Apr 21st, 2008, 4:05 pm

Re: The seat makes all the difference

I bit the bullet and had Russel build me a saddle. That is by far the best money I have ever spent on a street bike. My wife and I used to try and do 600 mile days on our annual trips, and by day 3 we could barely do 200.

With the Russel, I can get on the bike day after day from dusk to dark, and not even feel like I rode the day before. The rider backrest is definitely a worthwhile addition as well. The whole deal was about $1,200.00 - and I will do it again the FIRST winter after picking up a new bike. The 4 week turn around is a bummer, so plan ahead if you go this route.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in