05 LT Missing pixels on display - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old Nov 8th, 2005, 10:19 pm Thread Starter

05 LT Missing pixels on display

Has anyone with an 05 LT noticed a line about 1 inch from the top of the main display that runs horizontally across the screen. The line I am referring to is /are missing pixels. When I fill up my gas tank, the gauge darkens up the left side of the display except for this area about 1 inch from the top of the display. Fortunately, Ihave not had the engine coolant hot enough to verify this situation occurs on the right side of the display.

Is this gap in pixels normal?

Jack Haughn
2006 Burgman AN650 Executive
2005 LT Yellow Metallic
2002 Toyota MR2 Spyder
1996 Bike Friday Yellow/Orange
1980s DaHon Folding Bikes (2 of em)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old Nov 8th, 2005, 10:29 pm
Lifetime Supporter

busted pixels..

Seems to me there is a problem. LCD's will lose pixels for various reasons. Because of the color shift you mention and a whole line/area missing, I'd say there is a problem with the instrument cluster being torqued by not being level.. tightened up too much on one side.. or maybe it's just defective. If the dealer says "they all do that", let me know cause they need to do that to mine.

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 Old Nov 8th, 2005, 10:47 pm

I don't know about the display on the '05 LT, but BMW has had some problems with pixel loss on some of their cars, especially late '90s and early '00 5 and 7 series cars. Some have cleared those up by removing the cluster and cleaning the connectors, others have had them replaced under warranty. I am on a couple web forums for the cars also, since I have a 5 and a 7.

An entire line out on an LCD though sounds like a bad multiplexer chip in the display driver, or a bad connection from it to the LCD panel. Bad LCD connections could be caused by stress in mounting, depending on the type of connections it has.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.

post #4 of 4 Old Nov 8th, 2005, 11:04 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by icycler
Has anyone with an 05 LT noticed a line about 1 inch from the top of the main display that runs horizontally across the screen. The line I am referring to is /are missing pixels. When I fill up my gas tank, the gauge darkens up the left side of the display except for this area about 1 inch from the top of the display. Fortunately, Ihave not had the engine coolant hot enough to verify this situation occurs on the right side of the display.

Is this gap in pixels normal?
No -- mine is continuous. Time to approach your dealer about a warranty swap? No sure I'd want to deal with the odometer issues, but that's your call.

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in