Bent Front Rim - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Apr 11th, 2007, 11:40 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Bent Front Rim

I just had new Metz put on and the tech told me that my front rim was bent. It is only visible when the wheel is spinning and he was able to balance the tire. It is not possible to see it or any mark when the wheel is not moving. There is no noticeable damage on the rim and riding at 80 MPH is as smooth as silk. I am not aware of hitting anything very hard and it feels safe. I can even take my hands off of the handlebars at highway speed with no wobble or movement. I have the web site of a company that can straighten it to factory specs for around $200 and wonder if it is really necessary.

http://www.framestraightsystem.com/

Has anyone experienced this and what did you do?

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Apr 11th, 2007, 12:19 pm

Mine was bent and I remember doing it. Same situation as yours and I did nada and never had a problem.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Grok
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 Old Apr 11th, 2007, 12:40 pm

From what you describe it wouldn't seem necessary to "fix" it. If it were mine I would do one more check though ----- an aggressive high speed ( work progressively up to this) stop. You wouldn't want to find out during the real thing that a 200 dollar repair could have made a difference.

post #4 of 9 Old Apr 11th, 2007, 2:00 pm
Lifetime Supporter

that front wheel is expensive....($500 ?)
I bent mine and had to replace it and they got the wrong wheel first time around (there are two for our LT's)
If you can't feel it at speed................well.......???

Allan..Illinois, Oregon, Arkansas, and tomorrow the Universe
2003 K1200LT trike - Starfighter
2004 R1150RTP - Combat Touring
IBA #38152
BMW-MOA 97667
Patriot Guard Riders
...and man of leisure

post #5 of 9 Old Apr 11th, 2007, 4:56 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

85 MPH and "Nothing"

Just got back from a short trip on the interstate and I'm amazed at how smooth it rides. I did several quick stops with nothing out of the ordinary happening. Guess I'll leave it alone and scuff up the new tires for the next 100 miles or so. Rim could have been this way for quite a while. Strange thought that there are no marks on it! and I don't ever remember hitting anything hard enough to give it the slight bend. Still got the mirrors attached.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #6 of 9 Old Apr 11th, 2007, 5:33 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorawro
From what you describe it wouldn't seem necessary to "fix" it. If it were mine I would do one more check though ----- an aggressive high speed ( work progressively up to this) stop. You wouldn't want to find out during the real thing that a 200 dollar repair could have made a difference.
i did that this weekend, my rim is noticably bent, and i will tell ya at 140mph+ it was still smooth, i have original tires with 15k miles and everything was fine, and this was towards the end of a 1250 mile trip, i would rest easy on this one, now if it were cracked, thats a different story alltogether.
post #7 of 9 Old Apr 12th, 2007, 12:34 am
Lifetime Supporter

Wouldn't something like "road damage" be covered under Comprehensive? Point is moot if you have $500 Deductible.

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #8 of 9 Old Apr 12th, 2007, 9:52 am

If the wheel holds true, I would leave it alone. The worst case is that the tire would wear out a little faster but then if it is balanced...

"BONES" <///><

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
post #9 of 9 Old Apr 12th, 2007, 10:27 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

What I thought

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibbones
If the wheel holds true, I would leave it alone. The worst case is that the tire would wear out a little faster but then if it is balanced...
Guess that is what balancing is for.......... seems to be working. Off to the fish tank! Shark tank needs to be cleaned

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in