Front brake pad thickness - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Apr 6th, 2007, 2:54 pm Thread Starter

Wink Front brake pad thickness

Does anyone know what the pad thickness should be when the pads are new. My are just a hair above 2mm and I know that the miin is 1mm. I am just trying to figure out if I should bother to change them out yet. Not sure how long it will take them to get down to 1mm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Apr 6th, 2007, 9:31 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbbusa
Does anyone know what the pad thickness should be when the pads are new. My are just a hair above 2mm and I know that the miin is 1mm. I am just trying to figure out if I should bother to change them out yet. Not sure how long it will take them to get down to 1mm.
Howdy, Dwayne - can't answer your primary question (new pad thickness), butt my Service and Technical Booklet for the '99 model LT sez minimum thickness is 1.5mm, not counting the backing plate. Just an FYI.
post #3 of 10 Old Apr 7th, 2007, 8:40 am
was

Hey Dwayne. I'm Kicking myself because I just installed new pads and did not bother to measure the thickness. The packages don't have the thickness printed on them either. Also, I'm not sure if different manufacturers make their pads to a uniform standard of thickness. Unless you can find something on the Web about your pads you are likely stuck with inspecting them for wear.

Bill
Guilford, CT
'99 Canyon Red K1200 LT - Buddah Bike

post #4 of 10 Old Apr 7th, 2007, 9:17 am

Dwayne, I just measured a brand new set of front SBS ceramic pads and they measure 5mm to backing.

Hope this helps.

Pat Rourke
White Lake,MI.
2002 K1200 LTC, Champange

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 10 Old Apr 7th, 2007, 11:56 am Thread Starter

Brake pad thickness

Thanks guys. I decided to order a new set just to be safe. Funny thing how much more expensive the BMW pad are. The aftermarket ones are less than half the price of the BMW. I can't justify that kind of difference unless someone else knows something I don't.
post #6 of 10 Old Apr 7th, 2007, 12:44 pm

Quote:
Thanks guys. I decided to order a new set just to be safe. Funny thing how much more expensive the BMW pad are. The aftermarket ones are less than half the price of the BMW. I can't justify that kind of difference unless someone else knows something I don't.
With the front pads, most stay with the stock pads because of the built in anti raddle clips. Most after market pads do not have the anti raddle clips and seem to make a lot of noise.

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT
2000 LT - Totaled at 99,960 miles

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 10 Old Apr 7th, 2007, 1:35 pm

Quote:
I don't know how much OEM 'rear' pads cost, butt I just installed a pair of Carbone Lorraines on ole Toad and gotta tell ya, I think I'm a lifetime user of that brand. Naturally, cuz they're new, they stop better than the worn out EBCs we had, butt stop better doesn't even come close. They STOP!!! They're sintered and we did about 10-15 minutes of good de-glazing excercise - they STOP. I'm thinking now I'll look for the C.L. fronts and try them out. Less than 30 bones for the rears.
post #8 of 10 Old Apr 8th, 2007, 9:36 pm

Carbone Lorraines?

Hey Dick - Where did you get those Carbone Lorraines (part number)?

I'm getting ready for a trip to Virginia this summer to see my son at the Naval Base and may need to replace the EBC's I've got on my '99.

Thanks.

Joe

EncoreJoe

"Ride, boldly ride, ... If you seek for Eldorado!"

'10 Triumph Tiger 1050
post #9 of 10 Old Apr 8th, 2007, 10:16 pm

Hi, Joe - got the pads from Hank at Rhinewest in San Antonio. Wish I'd kept the packaging, cuz I think it had a website listed. That usually will lead you to a list of vendors selling 'em. Or, you might call Hank tamale at 210-826-0014 and see what he sez about a source. HTH.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EncoreJoe
Hey Dick - Where did you get those Carbone Lorraines (part number)?

I'm getting ready for a trip to Virginia this summer to see my son at the Naval Base and may need to replace the EBC's I've got on my '99.

Thanks.

Joe
post #10 of 10 Old Apr 9th, 2007, 7:45 am
was

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
. . . butt I just installed a pair of Carbone Lorraines on ole Toad and gotta tell ya, I think I'm a lifetime user of that brand. Naturally, cuz they're new, they stop better than the worn out EBCs we had, butt stop better doesn't even come close. They STOP!!! . . . I'm thinking now I'll look for the C.L. fronts and try them out. Less than 30 bones for the rears.
+1. I just installed both front and rear Carbone Lorraines. I got them at beemerboneyard.com (no, they are NOT used!!!). Rears were $26, fronts (both sets) were $62. The fronts are advertised as "the more powerful HHH rated pads for maximum stopping power while still providing low rotor wear" . . . we shall see. AND the fronts have the anti-rattle clips , which the EBCs did not have (although I never noticed much rattle). Didn't do a search for price comparisons, so there may be less expensive offers out there.

Bill
Guilford, CT
'99 Canyon Red K1200 LT - Buddah Bike

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in