Bad Day at Dealer updating throttle cables!!!! - BMW Luxury Touring Community
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 104 Old Mar 15th, 2007, 11:07 pm Thread Starter

Bad Day at Dealer updating throttle cables!! Lesson learned.

I got up at 4 am and trailered my 00LT, 200 miles to Miller BMW in Tallahassee for appointment to have my frayed throttle cables updated to latest cables.

I had called last week and spoke with Dusty to be sure they understood I wanted latest cables and mention 05 cables. He gave me the short "we do this all the time, we know blah blah".

I called yesterday to be sure all cables etc. in and they said yes.

Well long story short, got back bike that:
1.They put on old style cables.
2. My cruise not working.
3. My Motolights don't work now.
4. They even screwed up the rubber around gas cap so lid doesn't stay up.
5. They were proud to tell me how they adjusted all the play out of my throttle. ( 1st clue why cruise not working huh)

Unbelievable.

Thanks to info learned here I adjusted cables till cruise started working again and know how to fix rubber around gas cap from info here also.

I'll have to remove left panel to track down what they did to my Motolights tomorrow.

What a day.
I learned the lesson to just do it yourself with the help and info from this site if you want it done right.

Thank you all for the info you share.

Mick
'00LT Canyon red "Miss Ruby"
'99 LT Basalt grey "Coyote"

Last edited by MickS; Mar 15th, 2007 at 11:40 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 104 Old Mar 15th, 2007, 11:41 pm

HArd lesson learned. I feel the same way about dealers and the lack of quality work. I do 99% of my work on my bikes just to keep from going through what you went through.
post #3 of 104 Old Mar 16th, 2007, 2:07 am

What a bummer, all too often the quality of work done by others is sub-par to what you can do myself. This issue has happened all too often and has made me a prudent DO-IT-YOUR-SELFER.

Purchased my 00 LT at 8K miles in 2003, Now at 35K.
Needless to say it has NEVER been back to the shop period !! ... Motivation is the key to just diving in and doing it yourself

As for the shops screw up NOT giving you what you asked and paid for ... make them do it again on their dime, if not ....

"00" Canyon Red LTI ~ Well Farklized ~ Bug Splattered
Our "semi" quiet riot
*** Trailer Too ***

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
T
wisties Required

post #4 of 104 Old Mar 16th, 2007, 7:49 am

I can understand your frustration, but I have dealt with Dusty in the past & found him to be a reasonable businessman. That leads me to a couple of questions............

Since the new cables require an additional opening in the handlebar covers & different ends at the grip, they are easy to identify. Did you look at them when you picked up the bike, & did you mention the difference to Dusty? If so, what was his response?

Did you check any of the other problems before leaving, & mention them to Dusty, or have you talked to him since you found the problems? Again, what was his response?

I'm not picking on you, but your post is a little rough on one of the better dealers in the area. He may deserve it, but I would like to know how he responded to your problems with his service.

Jinks ('86fxrs, '07 FLTR)

Remember, "No good deed goes unpunished"
post #5 of 104 Old Mar 16th, 2007, 7:49 am

Why would they have put on the old style cables? Oh, I know. They probably had them "in stock" and couldn't return them to BMWNA. Better your loss than theirs.

Bill McAllister
St. Louis, MO.
2003 K1200LTE
post #6 of 104 Old Mar 16th, 2007, 9:07 am

My dealer tried to get the old style and couldn't. They took a little time but did wind up getting the 06 cables. The only thing they messed up was not hooking the gas gauge back up but they fixed that quickly. In my dealer's defense they said that they had not done any yet so it was a bit of a learning experience for them.
post #7 of 104 Old Mar 16th, 2007, 9:32 am

That is why I have always done just about everything (non warranty) to all my cars, boats, motorcycles, lawn mowers, homes, etc. At least I know what is being done, and if anything comes out wrong I can blame myself. That way I don't get incensed about it, and if I feel bad enough just re-do it. When someone that is being paid to be trained and knowledgeable screws up I get mad.

I sure learn a lot doing it myself, some of it the hard way. Then that knowledge is there for "next time". There is very little I won't tackle. I really like being mostly self sufficient. There are times though that I will let a professional do something, and can really appreciate when they really do well, and I then learn from watching.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #8 of 104 Old Mar 16th, 2007, 10:19 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinks
I can understand your frustration, but I have dealt with Dusty in the past & found him to be a reasonable businessman. That leads me to a couple of questions............

Since the new cables require an additional opening in the handlebar covers & different ends at the grip, they are easy to identify. Did you look at them when you picked up the bike, & did you mention the difference to Dusty? If so, what was his response?

Did you check any of the other problems before leaving, & mention them to Dusty, or have you talked to him since you found the problems? Again, what was his response?

I'm not picking on you, but your post is a little rough on one of the better dealers in the area. He may deserve it, but I would like to know how he responded to your problems with his service.
It was pouring down rain when I picked up bike and they had left it outside under small awning therefore my Russell seat was getting a bit wet and I loaded it as quickly as I could.
I then went inside paid and asked mechanic if he got to test cruise control to be sure it was working and he said ....uuuh uuuuh I heard it click so I know it is working.
Then Dusty walks by and says to mechanic "Did you tell him about play in right grip. We adjusted it for you because it had some play in it."

Well I drove off a few blocks before I thought about not looking at throttle cables so I pulled over expecting to see new style. To my surprise they looked just like the ones before.

So I turn around in the rain , return and go in and ask Dusty why I don't have the lastest cables. His response was "Those are the updated cables".
When I mention the newer style he said you couldn't put those on without removing right grip".

So I left with my head spinning and a 3 hr drive back home. I wondered if all my trottle info searching here had made me get something wrong.

On the way home (200 miles) I started thinking about things to check.
After eat stop I decide to check moto-lites. Not working.

I get home. Unload bike and test ride. Cruise control won't work.
Throttle has not one bit of play in closed position. So cruise can't work.(info I learned here and is in service manual CD I believe).

I adjust to work.

Checked rubber around gas cap because I had learned here and had fixed mine once before. Sure enough, rubber not right and meshing up lid.

I have not talked to Dusty since making it home but for sure I will.
I'm just not sure I would ever let them touch my bike again.

I have been to that dealer 4 or 5 times before and purchased something everytime (jacket, battery, parts,) all things I could have aquired cheaper over the internet but thought I would support my nearest dealer.

So jinks I feel I have not been undue hard on a dealer that gave me this experience.

I will post more as happens.

Mick
post #9 of 104 Old Mar 16th, 2007, 10:29 am

I learned a long time ago it's less expensive to do things yourself, even when you have to buy special tools..... more importantly, you don't have all those repeat trips to the dealer to get it done over again.

I ended up taking my bike to two different dealers to get the timing chain cover oil leak fixed under warranty. The first dealer though that "dabbing silicone" on the outside of the case was a professional repair... and when I complained to BMW, you wouldn't believe the lies he told BMW about why it was done that way.
post #10 of 104 Old Mar 16th, 2007, 10:37 am

Throttle cable install

Quote:
When I mention the newer style he said you couldn't put those on without removing right grip".
I installed the new style cables on mine without removing the right grip. I must know a secret they don't!

Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of the car window
Stephen Moore
02 K1200LTC Silver
02 Uni-go (skittles reborn)
1975 R75/6 Black Still running strong
BMWMOA# 122791
AMA# 711312
CCR 02,03,04,05,07,08,

post #11 of 104 Old Mar 16th, 2007, 12:33 pm Thread Starter

Update 1:
1.Found where Moto-lites harness had been pulled apart under front forks.
I have fixed. (no big deal)

2. Found the left black tip-over cover not on right. Had tabs sticking out over chrome piece. (just sloppy work)
I have fixed

3. Found padding that goes between upper and lower right panel at chin just sticking to surface of right panel 5 inches from where it goes. (???????)
I have fixed

4. I fixed rubber around gas cap and lid. (just sloppy work)

I'm afraid I'll find more this afternoon when I go for ride.

My garage became my home office so I don't have the greatest place to work on it but I do have a covered back poarch, Paul Sayegh 4 DVDs, tools and the wonderful collective wisdom of this site.

What was I thinking?
Repeat to myself: do it myself, do it myself, ask questions here and answers will come, do it myself.

I knew this was the favorite dealer of some of you here but felt I must detail my "updated cables" experience for the record.

If others plan to have them put on the latest updated cables please be warned and maybe mention that you'd like a little play in throttle so cruise control will work. (they don't know this bit of info or that newest cables can be installed without removing grip)

I always try to see the humor in life about everything and will for sure get a few chuckles to myself about this whole dealer experience overtime.
"Lesson learned" and "what goes around,comes around."

Off to ride now....

Mick

Last edited by MickS; Mar 16th, 2007 at 1:05 pm.
post #12 of 104 Old Mar 16th, 2007, 1:26 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickS
So jinks I feel I have not been undue hard on a dealer that gave me this experience.

I will post more as happens.
Mick, I've read the rest of your posts up to this time, & I agree with you. I'm surprised at Dusty's answer to your question about the cables, but only slightly. If I were in your position, I'd give Dusty a call & politely relate your entire experience to him. He may have a problem employee that he could use some feedback about. I'd be interested in his response.

On a better note, I'm in total agreement with your decision to do your own maintenance, & Dave's philosophy about service on any vehicle/machine. I do all mine (including the cable upgrade), & avoid Daytona BMW as much as possible. While I'll buy parts from 'em if I need 'em fast, I even take that business online if I have the time. Too bad others don't vote with their wallets when given substandard service. Might result in better service for us all.

Glad the corrections weren't too difficult, & let us know what Dusty has to say about the problems.

Jinks ('86fxrs, '07 FLTR)

Remember, "No good deed goes unpunished"
post #13 of 104 Old Mar 16th, 2007, 1:30 pm
Gold Supporter

Smile Bad day at dealer

It's all about choices, isn't it?
When I started lurking on this forum in the fall of 04 and purchased my LT in May, 05, I was ecstatic about the wealth of information and availability of knowledge manifested within the forum and from individuals like David Shealey. During the ensuing months I have compiled four, three-ring binders of printed information about the LT (I have a charcoal-colored 05 LT). Dealers have threatened loss of warranty when one performs the maintenance, etc. other than actual warranty-related work. All one has to do is perform the work correctly and keep records of what, when, and receipts traceable to the work and the warranty is intact if one doesn't screw up. And, like David said, "if anything comes out wrong, I can blame myself." Besides, there's something to be said about the value of learning from mistakes!
Irrespective of what the dealer service department has to say or does for or to the customer, there is the additional benefit of expanded 'ownership' which develops from getting involved. When one must rely on the paid professional to perform work, the owner experience is invaluable when interracting with the trained professional.
It's also a matter of pride and comfort acquired from the learning experience and the "rush" felt during the "chase" of figuring out what makes the beast tick. Kudos to all of you who are inclined to help yourself and for sharing your information with the rest of us!

Terry
post #14 of 104 Old Mar 16th, 2007, 1:52 pm

Fla dealers

One thing I have learned from this site already is stay away from BMW dealers in Fla.
post #15 of 104 Old Mar 16th, 2007, 9:06 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDragon
I have never had an Issue with the quality of workmanship at Miller BMW.
Sorry to hear you did.
Dave when I was trying to decide between Millers or Bogarts in B'ham it was the nice things you had to say about them in past post that partly made me go with them. Didn't they do your cables? Did you get old style or new style?

I too am sorry it turned out that way and hope you have continued good luck.

Mick
post #16 of 104 Old Mar 16th, 2007, 9:34 pm Thread Starter

Update 2:
I called Dusty and told him I wanted him to know my cruise control wasn't working when I got home but that I adjusted cables so play was back and got it working.

When I also said that the new style cables could be installed without removing grip he went into "We do this everyday for a living and I don't care what the internet says, you can't. "

For the record I have never mentioned internet in any conversation with Dusty.

So I bid him good-day and hung up. Not wasting any more time on dealers with issues and attitudes.

Now on the lighter side....
I first felt the throttle cable sticking and fraying as I was riding with several friends on their Harleys in the sea of bikes at Destination Daytona.

We rib each other all the time about our bike choices. So...

I hate to think about the grief they would have given me if I had to call a tow truck to get my BMW in the middle of thousands of Harleys at Daytona. Too close.

Mick
post #17 of 104 Old Mar 16th, 2007, 10:03 pm

bad cable story

I purchased my 00LT in may o6 with tight cable.Guy I purchased bike from
had been carrying cable around in rear trunk and he told me it was an old
style cable and not to use.I took to dealer in Louisville and explained that
I wanted new style cable.I also had 24k service done at this time as plastic
would be off also had fuel gauge stoping at 1/4.Picked bike up and they showed me sending unit with dent in it and they did not know what caused dent.I paid my bill and rode home and then read they had installed cable in rear box and then 3k later fuel gauge quit again.I found this site and found
how common the gauge issue is.My vapor vent hose was blocked.I called
dealer and their going to replaced sender.I didn't even complain about cable
and if they would have given me sender, I would install it myself.
post #18 of 104 Old Mar 16th, 2007, 11:05 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferggie
One thing I have learned from this site already is stay away from BMW dealers in Fla.
this is the first real complaint I heard from Millers, and I have not heard one from Haps in Sarasota either.

I know 3 in FL. I will stay away from and trailer my bike even at my own expense back to BMW of atlanta if need ever arises, I trust them (BMW of Atlanta)with my bikes and Yes I'm pretty paticular when it comes to my bikes.

Tom

'07 GS Adv (mine), '06 GS <(My brides)
(the only bmw's in the stable)
post #19 of 104 Old Mar 17th, 2007, 12:05 am

tmgs, where in NE GA are you located? Just wondering if you are close to my local.
post #20 of 104 Old Mar 17th, 2007, 9:26 am

not if your in Savannah, I'm in the mountains east of Dahlonega Ga

Tom

post #21 of 104 Old Mar 17th, 2007, 1:20 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmgs
not if your in Savannah, I'm in the mountains east of Dahlonega Ga
OK, that's more western GA
post #22 of 104 Old Mar 17th, 2007, 3:43 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morley
OK, that's more western GA

western? No I'm in the North East corner of georgia. I'm about 40 miles west from South carolina and 30 miles south of N.C.

We have had some fun down in Savannah a few times look forward to staying there when we can.

Tom

post #23 of 104 Old Mar 17th, 2007, 5:18 pm

Quote:
western? No I'm in the North East corner of georgia. I'm about 40 miles west from South carolina and 30 miles south of N.C.

We have had some fun down in Savannah a few times look forward to staying there when we can.
NOT this weekend...St Paddy's day. This place is a zoo.
Sorry, I consider anything near Atlanta to be western...Since Savannah is on the coast and 4+ hours from Atl.
post #24 of 104 Old Mar 17th, 2007, 6:04 pm

Quote:
I got up at 4 am and trailered my 00LT, 200 miles to Miller BMW in Tallahassee for appointment to have my frayed throttle cables updated to latest cables.

I had called last week and spoke with Dusty to be sure they understood I wanted latest cables and mention 05 cables. He gave me the short "we do this all the time, we know blah blah".

5. They were proud to tell me how they adjusted all the play out of my throttle. ( 1st clue why cruise not working huh)

Unbelievable.

Thanks to info learned here I adjusted cables till cruise started working again and know how to fix rubber around gas cap from info here also.

I'll have to remove left panel to track down what they did to my Motolights tomorrow.

What a day.
I learned the lesson to just do it yourself with the help and info from this site if you want it done right.

I will call Dusty on Tuesday and get the whole story. I am very close to this dealer and a good friend. There has to be more to the story and before you blast a dealer for not doing his job, I will get to the bottom of this. Dusty runs a tight ship and this post is very upsetting to me. I will print this out and hand it to him on Tuesday and want to know what happened?
post #25 of 104 Old Mar 17th, 2007, 6:23 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman587
I will call Dusty on Tuesday and get the whole story. I am very close to this dealer and a good friend. There has to be more to the story and before you blast a dealer for not doing his job, I will get to the bottom of this. Dusty runs a tight ship and this post is very upsetting to me. I will print this out and hand it to him on Tuesday and want to know what happened?

How you can you tell a cable is the new one or the old one?????? They take care of my 99 and for the last 3 years. Also they take care of my work bike and 8 others.
post #26 of 104 Old Mar 17th, 2007, 7:05 pm

You can tell a new cable from an old style cable by looking at it the adjustments on the end. And by the new "relay" at the right grip. It's an obvious indication when it's been done as the old cables won't work with the new relay and the new cables won't work with the old relay. On older models you also have to add a new lower right handlebar cover or make a hole in the original one to route the new cables.

Bill McAllister
St. Louis, MO.
2003 K1200LTE
post #27 of 104 Old Mar 17th, 2007, 7:36 pm

Quote:
I fixed rubber around gas cap and lid. (just sloppy work)
I am lucky to have a good dealer who takes pride in their work (BMW of Denver). However, I noticed that the rubber flange around the gas cap is out of place so the lid doesn't stay up after they pulled off the tupperware to replace my o-2 sensor last month.

How did you fix that? Just work the rubber with a screwdriver to pop it back to the proper position? Or did you have to pull/loosen a panel to fix it?

Mike M

2007 K1200GT Dark Graphite
post #28 of 104 Old Mar 17th, 2007, 8:11 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by McAllister
You can tell a new cable from an old style cable by looking at it the adjustments on the end. And by the new "relay" at the right grip. It's an obvious indication when it's been done as the old cables won't work with the new relay and the new cables won't work with the old relay. On older models you also have to add a new lower right handlebar cover or make a hole in the original one to route the new cables.

You are telling me that a dealer did this???
post #29 of 104 Old Mar 17th, 2007, 8:54 pm

Tampa BMW Dealer - No problems

I purchased my 2002 with 1,000 miles on it from the Tampa BMW dealer and have returned it there several times for minor issues and all were handled to my satisfaction. Bike has 26,000 miles and nothing major done and I do most fluid changes myself. Just my situation.......

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #30 of 104 Old Mar 17th, 2007, 9:56 pm

Quote:

Yes, there IS more to the story. Furthermore, Dusty offered to pick up the bike, fix anything they may have done wrong, and return the bike----all at no cost whatsoever to the owner. How do I know? I heard him make the statement. FWIW, the mechanic no longer is employed at Miller BMW Motorcycles.

It is sad that a few well-meaning, truly informed and knowledgeable members are quick to jump on the dealer without hearing the rest of the story.

No offense is intended to anyone and I have no desire (no will I) become embroiled in a pissing contest on this issue. It just bothers me to see one of the best dealers in the country get trashed without all the facts being presented.

I certainly apologize to anyone offended by my comments. I just prefer "fair and balanced."
post #31 of 104 Old Mar 18th, 2007, 6:43 am

Thanks Larry

See, the other side of the story. I know how he is with customers. There are three sides to each story. Your side, their side and the truth. I know Dusty, and I know how he runs his shop. He will bend over backwards to fix a problem, that is probably why I was strong with words also, because I know he cares, and his crew have given me and others the best service, that any car or motorcycle shop ever has.
post #32 of 104 Old Mar 18th, 2007, 7:41 am
THE Democracy Doctor

Location: We LOVE illegals and Socialists, Sunny, Southern Kommyfornia,
Quote:

Unbelievable.

What a day.

A three hour drive for service like that huh?! Outrageous!

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." (Some really OLD friggin' White dude who couldn't have possibly known what he was talking about!) WARNING: Official HATE speech!
post #33 of 104 Old Mar 18th, 2007, 7:48 am
THE Democracy Doctor

Quote:
....I will stay away from and trailer my bike even at my own expense back to BMW of atlanta if need ever arises, I trust them (BMW of Atlanta)with my bikes, and yes, I'm pretty paticular when it comes to my bikes.
Here! Here! It's well worth it to drive much farther to the dealer that takes care of their customers.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." (Some really OLD friggin' White dude who couldn't have possibly known what he was talking about!) WARNING: Official HATE speech!
post #34 of 104 Old Mar 18th, 2007, 8:01 am
THE Democracy Doctor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryR
....I certainly apologize to anyone offended by my comments. I just prefer "fair and balanced."
Larry, no need to apologize for your comments at all. If someone gets offended because you post your view--too damn bad! I love this forum because EVERYONE speaks their mind. Wouldn't want it any other way!

post #35 of 104 Old Mar 18th, 2007, 9:02 am

Quote:
Sorry, I consider anything near Atlanta to be western...Since Savannah is on the coast and 4+ hours from Atl.
hehehe many people do, I'm about 67 miles from atlanta NNE from there <g>

if ya head up here sometime let me know, take I-16 to GA 15 north to just south of Athens take the loop around to 129 you can take 15 further but wow does it add to the hours
anyhow hope to see ya up here sometime

Tom

Tom

post #36 of 104 Old Mar 18th, 2007, 9:10 am

Quote:
Yes, there IS more to the story. Furthermore, Dusty offered to pick up the bike, fix anything they may have done wrong, and return the bike----all at no cost whatsoever to the owner. How do I know? I heard him make the statement.
hopefully they were talking about the same customer <grin>
Quote:
FWIW, the mechanic no longer is employed at Miller BMW Motorcycles.
heheh this sounds like the Dusty I met.
Quote:

It is sad that a few well-meaning, truly informed and knowledgeable members are quick to jump on the dealer without hearing the rest of the story.
Who else jumped on the dealer, I missed it.

Quote:
No offense is intended to anyone and I have no desire (no will I) become embroiled in a pissing contest on this issue. It just bothers me to see one of the best dealers in the country get trashed without all the facts being presented.

I certainly apologize to anyone offended by my comments. I just prefer "fair and balanced."

I will warn anyone though if they go there, DO NOT SMOKE EVEN OUT IN THE PARKING LOT

I didnt know this and could not hear him telling me to put out the cig as I pulled in (had ear plugs in) he was not happy at all, I almost tuned my bike around and left but it turned out I'm glad i didn't as he was actually a decent fellow.

one other thing

too bad the tech is gone, that means he is somewhere else and the owner there may not know what he is in for and will find out probably after ticking off a customer

Tom

Last edited by tmgs; Mar 18th, 2007 at 9:15 am.
post #37 of 104 Old Mar 18th, 2007, 10:07 am

Quote:
Boy, you aren't kidding. We spent 3 days there watching all the festivities get rolling. You guys sure know how to put on a green party. We just left Friday AM.

Savannah has been on our to-do list for 15 years. Glad we made it.

BTW, that wasn't your tuscan green LT we seen downtown off Bay Street on Thursday was it? Parked near a place called Finnigan's or Flannigan's I believe.

Riding around the squares and other historical areas 2 up, you really have to have your slow speed stuff going strong. Great place.

John

2004 - LT - Anthracite
post #38 of 104 Old Mar 18th, 2007, 10:12 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowlesj
Boy, you aren't kidding. We spent 3 days there watching all the festivities get rolling. You guys sure know how to put on a green party. We just left Friday AM.

Savannah has been on our to-do list for 15 years. Glad we made it.

BTW, that wasn't your tuscan green LT we seen downtown off Bay Street on Thursday was it? Parked near a place called Finnigan's or Flannigan's I believe.
that whole city turns green for this event doesn;t it, we were told a couple years back it was one of the biggest st paddy day destinations

Tom

Tom

post #39 of 104 Old Mar 18th, 2007, 12:02 pm

Quote:
hopefully they were talking about the same customer <grin>

heheh this sounds like the Dusty I met.

Who else jumped on the dealer, I missed it.

I will warn anyone though if they go there, DO NOT SMOKE EVEN OUT IN THE PARKING LOT

I didnt know this and could not hear him telling me to put out the cig as I pulled in (had ear plugs in) he was not happy at all, I almost tuned my bike around and left but it turned out I'm glad i didn't as he was actually a decent fellow.

one other thing

too bad the tech is gone, that means he is somewhere else and the owner there may not know what he is in for and will find out probably after ticking off a customer

Tom,

I need to clear up something. The tech I was referring to left on his own accord. He had some very serious family problems and felt it was in the best interest of everyone that he leave for a while. He was not fired. Actually, he really is a pretty darned good mechanic.

As far as the smoking goes, Dusty personally does not have anything it. He has (maybe "had") a mechanic that is absolutely convinced that if he smells smoke that he will die from spontaneous combustion or something. He supposedly is terribly allergic to smoke. Because of him, Dusty has the signs up. It is nothing personal and not intended to be offensive. He just wanted to keep the mechanic was thinking he was dying. I have often wondered what he did when he passed a diesel truck or farmers burning off woodlands.

Yes, Dusty runs a tight ship and is incredibly dedicated to the satisfaction of his customers. I have owned Honda's, Harley's, and now BMW's and have never had a better, more caring dealer.

When ya coming down my way??
post #40 of 104 Old Mar 18th, 2007, 1:18 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowlesj

Wasn't me (no idea who it might have been), I avoid downtown like the plauge during St. Paddy's, too many drunks. People 'round here can't drive sober much less when they've had too many.
The Sav. St. Paddy's is supposed to be the largest in the country and attracts people from as far as Ireland.
post #41 of 104 Old Mar 18th, 2007, 1:30 pm

Unhappy

Quote:
See, the other side of the story. I know how he is with customers. There are three sides to each story. Your side, their side and the truth. I know Dusty, and I know how he runs his shop. He will bend over backwards to fix a problem, that is probably why I was strong with words also, because I know he cares, and his crew have given me and others the best service, that any car or motorcycle shop ever has.

In reading these threads, sounds like to, that too many non-interested people are sticking their nose in and muddying the waters. If Dusty is so bent on customer service, why doesn't he post instead of being slient. I find it kind of offensve to hear " your side", therir side and the TRUTH" Sounds like people are calling someone liar. Not good for business nor is itt good for this site Jusy my non-interested humble opinion.

O. K. Upchurch III
Irvine, California

2016 R1200gs
2000 K1200LT (Best Bike #1)
1997 R1100RT (Best Bike #2)
1995 K1100LT
1990 K75RT
post #42 of 104 Old Mar 18th, 2007, 3:41 pm

Who is who is calling a lair??

Dusty is a business person and believe he does not have the time to deal with type of topic or issue. I am sure that from myself or Larry, the word will get back to Dusty.

And my "Your side, their side, and the truth", we all know that people like to flower their side of the story. We all do it, myself included.

It is funny how the person that started this post has not responded after Larry, stated that Dusty would pick up, fix the problem, and return the motorcycle. That is customer service at it's best.
post #43 of 104 Old Mar 18th, 2007, 5:45 pm

Quote:
Tom,

I need to clear up something. The tech I was referring to left on his own accord. He had some very serious family problems and felt it was in the best interest of everyone that he leave for a while. He was not fired. Actually, he really is a pretty darned good mechanic.

As far as the smoking goes, Dusty personally does not have anything it. He has (maybe "had") a mechanic that is absolutely convinced that if he smells smoke that he will die from spontaneous combustion or something. He supposedly is terribly allergic to smoke. Because of him, Dusty has the signs up. It is nothing personal and not intended to be offensive. He just wanted to keep the mechanic was thinking he was dying. I have often wondered what he did when he passed a diesel truck or farmers burning off woodlands.

Yes, Dusty runs a tight ship and is incredibly dedicated to the satisfaction of his customers. I have owned Honda's, Harley's, and now BMW's and have never had a better, more caring dealer.

When ya coming down my way??
there was no problem about the smoking once we got that cleared up, he realized i couldn;rt hear him, I wasn;t about to throw it on the ground didn;t have a clue who he was, ect ect ect, in fact he turned out to be real nice, told some good stories, one about finding his 650 after dumping it in deep mud that was actually funny

I don't know when i'll be that direction I go to FL all the time but I'm usually just trying to make the 600 miles so i can get to work, Heck i need to go goof off for a few days that direction and see a old friend in Mayo as well

When you headed up to the mountains?

Tom

post #44 of 104 Old Mar 18th, 2007, 7:42 pm

Quote:
Dusty is a business person and believe he does not have the time to deal with type of topic or issue. I am sure that from myself or Larry, the word will get back to Dusty.

And my "Your side, their side, and the truth", we all know that people like to flower their side of the story. We all do it, myself included.

It is funny how the person that started this post has not responded after Larry, stated that Dusty would pick up, fix the problem, and return the motorcycle. That is customer service at it's best.

Then as a business person, maayabae Dusty ought to take a minute or two to make contact with the person who is disgruntaled. Continued business is all about "customer satisfaction and customer service" A telephone call woould not have hurt. It's not as it he did not have the guys number. I am sure it is on the reapir order.

O. K. Upchurch III
Irvine, California

2016 R1200gs
2000 K1200LT (Best Bike #1)
1997 R1100RT (Best Bike #2)
1995 K1100LT
1990 K75RT
post #45 of 104 Old Mar 18th, 2007, 8:42 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Yes, there IS more to the story. Furthermore, Dusty offered to pick up the bike, fix anything they may have done wrong, and return the bike----all at no cost whatsoever to the owner. How do I know? I heard him make the statement. FWIW, the mechanic no longer is employed at Miller BMW Motorcycles.

READ THIS:
DUSTY HAS NOT OFFERED TO PICK UP MY BIKE AND FIX ANY PROBLEMS AND RETURN.
HE HAS MADE NO CONTACT WITH ME WHAT SO EVER.

Larry...I don't know who you heard him tell that to but it was NOT me, the one that started this thread.

I repeat. He has made no offer to fix anything.
NOW TELL ME THE TRUE REST OF THE STORY......

Mick

Last edited by MickS; Mar 18th, 2007 at 9:28 pm.
post #46 of 104 Old Mar 18th, 2007, 9:07 pm Thread Starter

Quote:

Motorman
I have been away from computer. That is the reason for no reply.
So I will repeat for you the real funny part:

DUSTY HAS NOT OFFERED TO PICK UP MY BIKE AND FIX ANY PROBLEMS AND RETURN AT ANY TIME.
HE HAS MADE NO CONTACT WITH ME WHAT SO EVER.

If he wants to pick up, fix all and return, at no cost to me, have him call me. He has my number. I bet he won't.
I'd be glad to report here a good outcome.

P.S. Also my right heated grip hasn't worked since they did my cables.
Add that to the list.

Mick

Last edited by MickS; Mar 18th, 2007 at 9:26 pm.
post #47 of 104 Old Mar 19th, 2007, 12:39 am Thread Starter

Motorman and Larry
Since you seem to think I am being less than truthful, let's just do a simple test.
Attached is image of cables installed by Miller's BMW on my 2000 LT last week (3/15/2007).

For the good of the forum and to be "fair and balanced" as you say, please find the answer to 4 simple questions and report.

1. Are these the new style cables?

2. If these are NOT the new style cables why were they installed on my bike by Miller's BMW?

3. Will the new style cables work on a 2000 LT.

4. If the new style has to have grip removed by dealer to install, why wasn't grip removed and new style cables installed by Miller's BMW.

I think if you can find the answers to these simple questions and share with the forum we all will be enlightened and members can decide for themselves who is being truthful.

Feel free to consult with your favorite dealer and other forum members.

Awaiting your answers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cable_A.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	10559  

Mick

Last edited by MickS; Mar 19th, 2007 at 1:00 am.
post #48 of 104 Old Mar 19th, 2007, 3:22 am Thread Starter

One bonus Mystery Question:

I called Dusty on Saturday 3/10/07 when near Perry Fl headed thru Tallahasse in about an hour.
I told Dusty my throttle was stiff and could they put cables on or if not could I buy some on the way thru and I would install. I told him I wanted the new style.

Dusty said their was none in stock, they had used their last ones. He said I should call when I got home and make appointment.

I called Tues morning, talked to Dusty and he set appointment for Thurs 3/15/05.

Now the Mystery Question:

5. If they were out of stock Saturday when I came thru (closed Sunday & Monday) but had cables to install Thurs.( parts dept. said they were in Weds. when I called to confirm they had cables to install for appointment).

Where did the cables come from?

Mick
post #49 of 104 Old Mar 19th, 2007, 3:34 am

Quote:
1. Are these the new style cables?
Those are the new style cables.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #50 of 104 Old Mar 19th, 2007, 4:31 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
Those are the new style cables.
Then what are these?
I asked if they used the same trottle relay (didn't replace) and he said yes.
That's where mine frayed.
Don't think these pictured will work with my throttle relay.

Hey if those on my bike are the latest cables and throttle relay then all I need is cruise control working again all the time and throttle side heated grip back working.

Searches I made show those pictured here as latest.
Mine sure don't look like the images in this thread below:
http://www.bmwlt.net/ubbthreads/show...e=&view=&sb=&o
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cable_B.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	10560   Click image for larger version

Name:	cable_C.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	10562  

Mick

Last edited by MickS; Mar 19th, 2007 at 4:55 am.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in