flashing brake failure light revisited - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Nov 5th, 2005, 5:57 pm Thread Starter

flashing brake failure light revisited

Well, it has been a month or so since I last posted. I have finally had a chance to check out my rear master cylinder fluid resrvoir. It was not as hard to remove stuff to get to it as I had originally feared. It turns out that the fluid level was at the low mark. I added some Valvoline "Exceeds Dot 3 and Dot 4 specifications." brake fluid. I used a 10 cc syringe (my wife is a doctor so it was easy to come by) and added 10 cc of said fluid. Low and behold, the brake failure light stopped flashing, and I once again hear those R2D2 sounds from the servo gizmo. All is right once again.

(Amazing how much more verve one rides with when the brake failure light isn't flashing!)

Hope this helps others to check it out themselves. Not as daunting a task as it might seem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Oct 30th, 2008, 9:12 pm

Re: flashing brake failure light revisited

I recently purchased an '02 k12. When I got it home, the lights were flashing indicating low fluid. I replaced the rear pads because the dealer said that was the probable cause of the low fluid, but it sounds like I might be wise to top off the fluid too since the pads weren't really worn down all that much. It must have been low fluid level itself rather than worn pads.
post #3 of 5 Old Oct 30th, 2008, 9:22 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

As the pads wear, the fluid in the wheel reservoirs will go down some. If your brake fluid level is marginal, then this could lead to the lights flashing. The LT prefers to have its brake reservoirs filled all the way to the Max mark (not just somewhere above the Min mark). This is particularly true for the '02-'04 LTs with the Integral (power) ABS brake system.

Fortunately, it's a known issue with an easy fix.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

post #4 of 5 Old Oct 30th, 2008, 9:24 pm

Welcome to the asylum, um, er forum, Brian. I think your thoughts of topping off the rear reservior are correct. You might even want to have a look at the front. If the fluid looks like iced tea, you will definitely need to change it. Not having an LT with the linked brakes, I'm not aware of all the processes a fluid flush entails. A search for "linked brake fluid flush" should net some results. There may be instructions in the Hall of Wisdom. Either way, I imagine someone with knowledge will post here shortly.

Lee
Y2K K1200 LT Canyon Red - Torn apart by a Bimmer 11-10-10. Sold to Saddleman to be reanimated.
2005 K1200 LT Ocean Blue
ATGATT
CCR 2009, CCR 2010, CCR 2012
IBA #39250
SS1000 - September 2009
BB1500 - September 2009
BMW MOA #167909
post #5 of 5 Old Oct 30th, 2008, 10:08 pm

Thanks, Ken and Lee. Topping off that fluid is on my 'to do' list this weekend. I appreciate your feedback!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in