Gauge ideas wanted... - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 3:28 pm Thread Starter

Gauge ideas wanted...

Hi all,

I am in the process of planning a version 2.0 of the LT dash cover as I managed to purchase an extra unit from Hans ("SilverBuffalo").

My version 1.0 is described here. http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=53316#poststop

The new one should accommodate three round gauges + the smartire readout.
Now, I have been thinking of oil pressure, oil temperature and manifold vacuum gauges. (I already have volt- and ammeter).

Any ideas on how to hook them to the engine side…? Or any other gauge ideas…?

Regards

Ari "the Farkle-Freak-Finn" Ignatius

Hyvinkää, Finland
2004 ('05) LT, Dark Graphite, "Sunset Cruiser II"

Bike trip from Finland to USA:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pictures of various farkle projects:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 3:38 pm

Question

Ari, here is an idea... At 51 my eyes have trouble reading the gauges, especially at night. I have no problem with distance vision, nor with night vision, it is just reading that is a problem. Is there a way to "magnify" the digital and analog gauges to make them easier to use? To me that would be more important than additional gauges (that I could probably not read anyway ).
The speedo and tacho are not an issue, but the clock and other displays are.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #3 of 17 Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 3:58 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy_gg
Ari, here is an idea... At 51 my eyes have trouble reading the gauges, especially at night. I have no problem with distance vision, nor with night vision, it is just reading that is a problem. Is there a way to "magnify" the digital and analog gauges to make them easier to use? To me that would be more important than additional gauges (that I could probably not read anyway ).
The speedo and tacho are not an issue, but the clock and other displays are.
I don't know Gilles, this is a tough one...

Perhaps there are these magnifying add-on films that one could apply on top of the gauges. I remember there were this "wide-vision" pieces of film that you could glue on the rear window of your van or station wagon and that would help you see wider and especially lower. These films would not work in your case as these actually make the object smaller but I would suppose there must be similar films that also magnify objects.

Regards

Hyvinkää, Finland

post #4 of 17 Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 4:08 pm

Fuel pressure would probably be of more use than manifold vacuum.
post #5 of 17 Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 4:37 pm
Cat Herder

How 'bout an altimeter, Artificial horizon, Manifold pressure, VOR information, oh, yeah and glidepath for the dreaded IFR approaches.
post #6 of 17 Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 5:57 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by pozo_izquierdo
I don't know Gilles, this is a tough one...

Perhaps there are these magnifying add-on films that one could apply on top of the gauges. I remember there were this "wide-vision" pieces of film that you could glue on the rear window of your van or station wagon and that would help you see wider and especially lower. These films would not work in your case as these actually make the object smaller but I would suppose there must be similar films that also magnify objects.

Regards
Thanks Ari, I was looking at those add-on films also but the quality is very poor...

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #7 of 17 Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 8:00 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy
How 'bout an altimeter, Artificial horizon, Manifold pressure, VOR information, oh, yeah and glidepath for the dreaded IFR approaches.
Don't forget carb heat (ok, manifold heat) control/indication - useful for those long, downhill mountain decents !! (and ROT indicator).

• 2005 LT - 17 countries, 2 CONTINENTS & counting !
  • MB SLK 350 MT
  • 1974 Triumph Bonneville 750

post #8 of 17 Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 9:31 pm

I'd like to see a turn and bank indicator.

Mike

Mike Kiesel

Medina, Ohio
2000 K1200LT (Katerina)
"She's big and graceful - most of the time"
post #9 of 17 Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 9:48 pm

Ari, if I recall correctly you have a rear-facing video camera on your LT. Why not put a small video screen on the dash, showing what's behind you?

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #10 of 17 Old Mar 3rd, 2007, 12:32 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hschisler
Ari, if I recall correctly you have a rear-facing video camera on your LT. Why not put a small video screen on the dash, showing what's behind you?
Thanks Howard, I have the video screen (of my video recorder) in my Chicane tankbag already. And besides I don´t keep the video equipment on all the time. With all the RS mirrors and everything, I think a permanent rear camera would be a bit of an overkill. It would kinda make my reverse radar sensors useless!

As for the other suggestions... some of them are a bit aviation inclined if I understand correctly. And some are more or less off-road related...

OK I have to see what I can hook up and where in the motor side.
The manifold vacuum would indicate fuel economy, right? Does the fuel pressure do the same? A (manifold) vacuum sensor should not be a tough one but from where to read oil pressure or oil temperature or fuel pressure..?

Thanks for the input anyway.

Regards

Hyvinkää, Finland

post #11 of 17 Old Mar 3rd, 2007, 1:15 pm

Quote:
The manifold vacuum would indicate fuel economy, right? Does the fuel pressure do the same? A (manifold) vacuum sensor should not be a tough one but from where to read oil pressure or oil temperature or fuel pressure..?

Thanks for the input anyway.

Regards
Fuel pressure would be the first indication of a fuel delivery problem before it got to the point of the engine shutting off. To get the reading you'd tap into the fuel line after the pump somewhere. Most vehicles have a schrader valve mounted in the fuel rail for hooking up a guage for diagnosis purposes.
For the oil pressure sender, I would imagine you could find the switch for the light and install a T fitting, one end for the switch and the other for the gauge sender. Oil temp would be harder because for it to be meaningful you'd need to read the oil temp in the sump. That would probably involve drilling a hole in the sump somewhere and adding a threaded bung for the sender to screw into.
post #12 of 17 Old Mar 3rd, 2007, 3:14 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy
There's an easy way to get all of the above:
http://www.airliners.net/open.file/1042717/M/

If you look at the map and don't care where you are, you're not lost.

2000 K1200LT
1977 R75/7
1962 R60/2
post #13 of 17 Old Mar 3rd, 2007, 3:17 pm

Additional Ideas

How about some gauges that do actually indicate something (air temp comes to mind), but are labeled with things that don't exist... yet. Some ideas from Star Trek:

Matter-Antimatter Mix Ratio
Deuterium Injector Status
Plasma Coolant Temperature

or some such thing.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #14 of 17 Old Mar 9th, 2007, 10:12 am

Quote:
Hi all,

I am in the process of planning a version 2.0 of the LT dash cover as I managed to purchase an extra unit from Hans ("SilverBuffalo").

My version 1.0 is described here. http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=53316#poststop

The new one should accommodate three round gauges + the smartire readout.
Now, I have been thinking of oil pressure, oil temperature and manifold vacuum gauges. (I already have volt- and ammeter).

Any ideas on how to hook them to the engine side…? Or any other gauge ideas…?

Regards
Hi Ari,
I'm going to offer you some different advice. Adding a gauge just for the sake of having another gauge doesn't make sense to me. Gauges should provide you with useful information you need at a glance. Your voltmeter and ammeter are somewhat redundant but with the power demands of your lights and other electrical accessories it makes perfect sense to have both. The additional gauges you mention and the others suggested to you in this thread are not really needed and in fact might cause more problems then their information would ever prevent.

You have a real talent for taking an idea, visualizing it, then fabricating it with an end result that looks like OEM. My suggestion would be to keep the gauges you have, relocate the smartire, remove the radar detector and build it into the dash. As great as your dash looks the radar detector looks like an afterthought.

Good luck on your project,

Bruce Hodges
post #15 of 17 Old Mar 9th, 2007, 10:43 am

What about monitoring the temperature of the rear drive lubricant? Would this provide an indication of potential bearing failure before it actually happened? The changes in ambient temperature might make any changes due to bearing wear impossible to detect, I'm not sure.

Good Luck,
Kevin

1999 K1200LT, patiently waiting for a new model.

Slave Cylinder Procedure->
post #16 of 17 Old Mar 9th, 2007, 10:59 am

gages

how about transmission oil temp. and differential oil temp? don't laught most 18 wheelers have them. any temp. rise would indicate a problem. (bearings ect.)
post #17 of 17 Old Mar 9th, 2007, 11:13 am

Refrigerator LT

Personally I think of the dash and storage box area as a small refrigerator and just velcro everything I want in front of me to it!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in