BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

Possible leak question!

2K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  ronlray 
#1 ·
Guys, while checking under the bike tonite for possible leaks I notice a "damp area" at the bottom back of the engine where it mates to the transmission. The area isn't wet, per se, just damp. It is not dripping. When I raked my finger over the area it looks like grease on my finger but you can tell that its where a fluid has leaked out and mixed with the road grime. It's actually "damp" in an are about 6" long and 3" wide. Mostly damp where the two units meet at the back of the oil sump. It really looks like what you see around a valve cover where the gasket has "seeped' a little. No leaks around drain plug or filter cover.I can't really tell if it is trans fluid or oil. Can't tell by smell either. Any quesses on whether this is normal or a potential problem? I've got 31,000 on my 2004 LT that has run flawlessly. Thanks, Ron Ray

#2 ·
I would clean it really well with some kind of cleaner, dry it well, then start the bike and let it run for about 20 minutes, watching to see if that is where it is leaking from and then go from there.

#4 ·
possible leak

Pete, thanks for the photo. This is the same area that mine appears to be weeping. It must be in the first stages however since it only appears damp and not dripping. I'm assuming this will get worse. I'm still under warranty so I guess I'll be traveling to my local BMW shop so they can check it out. Thanks, Ron

#5 ·
Mine was moist to

Had been oozing for 60+k. Have the bike in now getting ready for next season and had them open it up to find out where it was coming from. Have been advised it was the rear main seal.

#7 ·
Will have it checked!

Jeff, thanks for the input. I called the Charlotte NC BMW shop where I bought the bike and I am taking it in for inspection next Tuesday. They said it would be a 10-12 hr. job if it were the main seal leaking. Praise the Lord that I am still under warranty at 31,000 miles and 4 months left on the coverage! I just happened to be inspecting the bike before traveling Friday to the Atlanta Cycle show. I think I've caught it just as it is starting to leak. I'll post the results. Thanks again, Ron Ray

#9 ·
Warranty

ronlray said:
Jeff, thanks for the input. I called the Charlotte NC BMW shop where I bought the bike and I am taking it in for inspection next Tuesday. They said it would be a 10-12 hr. job if it were the main seal leaking. Praise the Lord that I am still under warranty at 31,000 miles and 4 months left on the coverage! I just happened to be inspecting the bike before traveling Friday to the Atlanta Cycle show. I think I've caught it just as it is starting to leak. I'll post the results. Thanks again, Ron Ray
My warranty is spelt differently, but it still starts with a W

Wallet

#10 ·
Had it checked out- UPDATE!

Well. I took my bike to the Charlotte NC BMW dealer today. It took about 10 minutes for the service manager to say that I did have a leak and it is probably the rear main seal or trans input shaft seaL Either way I left the bike and asked them to drill the Slave cylinder weep hole while they were in there. Also the service Manager recommended that I replace the clutch spring if they had to replace the clutch. THANK GOD I noticed the leak while I am still under warranty at 31,000 miles and 4 months to go. I'm really considering the extended warranty . Ron

#11 ·
Repair Update!

It appears that the leak was coming from the input or output transmission seal. Everything else looked OK. The mechanic recommended replacing the clutch since it showed some wear and since they had it all torn down..$432 in parts..no labor charge . So I said Ok. I'm having them drill the slave cylinder weep hole and change out the air and gas filter which was due at 36,000 miles. All in all I expect it to run about $600-700 bucks ( with the new clutch). Again...sure glad I was under warranty for the leak! Picking it up on Sat. and leaving for Daytona on thursday...See you there! Ron Ray ( I'll be the one on the Black LT wearing the yellow helmet and the grin on his face!)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.