lightweight cover ideas? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Feb 19th, 2007, 11:05 pm Thread Starter

Question lightweight cover ideas?

Looking at the possiblity of a cover for the LT for a x-country this spring/early summer. I have seen the Wallmart version on this site, it just seems (from pics) too big for me to haul around. Space becomes a premium when traveling across the country from the Northwest as I need clothing to prepare for upper 30's and pouring rain (snow atually 2 years ago) to 100 degree heat.

Any advice or ideas on a minimalist cover? If not I will survive well (with more room) without one so it's s not a hanging matter but I thought I would ask. Thanks for your ideas. Ken
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Feb 19th, 2007, 11:15 pm

NelsonRigg.com

http://www.nelsonrigg.com/

Good half covers, min room needed to sto... waterproof on top... been using them for years... no issues so far

Jim Lawson 2016 R1200RT
Retired to NC !

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 Old Feb 19th, 2007, 11:46 pm

http://www.eztouring.com/wanderer.htm

I've used this one for the past 7 years - still appears and works as new. My stuff sack is about the size of a small loaf of bread, butt I hear they're now even smaller using a folding technique.

New ones come with a grommet hole for the antenna. I just remove ole Toad's antenna and lay it on the seat areas. Has lower fringe grommets if you wanna use a cable lock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdfan
Looking at the possiblity of a cover for the LT for a x-country this spring/early summer. I have seen the Wallmart version on this site, it just seems (from pics) too big for me to haul around. Space becomes a premium when traveling across the country from the Northwest as I need clothing to prepare for upper 30's and pouring rain (snow atually 2 years ago) to 100 degree heat.

Any advice or ideas on a minimalist cover? If not I will survive well (with more room) without one so it's s not a hanging matter but I thought I would ask. Thanks for your ideas. Ken

post #4 of 13 Old Feb 20th, 2007, 10:03 am
Gold Supporter

When ever I go L.D. I pack the Nelsonrigg Half Cover.

http://www.nelsonrigg.com/pages/Bike...V-2000-Big.htm You want the XL.

You could roll it and put it into a beer can to pack, but it fits over the bike quickly, VERY tight, tie downs are great and it covers the areas you need covered and keeps prying eyes off stuff. Antennas are not an issue and you keep the dust and moisture off the seat and gauges. For the money they would be hard to beat.

Here is a tip I learned years ago: Make sure you clean the windshield before you put the cover on. I ruined a screen years ago by putting the cover over and scratching the tar out of it.

Jerry
Look in the wolf's eyes and what do you see--A guardian spirit or fierce enemy?
2008 FLHTCU White Pearl

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 13 Old Feb 20th, 2007, 10:16 am

Quote:

www.eztouring.com Lightweght 1/2 or full cover. Ripstock nylon. 1/2 cover fits in a bag 7 inches square and 1.5 inches thick. Fits on LT nicely!

John
Jacksonville, FL (USA)
post #6 of 13 Old Feb 20th, 2007, 12:28 pm

Thumbs up Best cover

The aerostich black @ $120 is the best I've found and stores in a pack the size of a sandwich..really! I've had mine for 3 years and it looks like new.Ron

http://www.aerostich.com/catalog/US/...r-p-17131.html
post #7 of 13 Old Feb 20th, 2007, 12:46 pm

A few of us have this half cover and are quite pleased with it.
http://www.tourkingcovers.com/shop/

'07 - R1200RT Slippery Silver

MOA #107139
RA #28511

Past rides:
'03 R1150RT - MAXed out
'03 K1200LTC - Gone to the Darko side
'00 Kawasaki Concours - Buzz
'71 Honda SL350 - The original dual-sport
'72 Kawasaki 250 triple - The smoking gun
'67 Montgomery Wards 125 - Thrashed to death
post #8 of 13 Old Feb 20th, 2007, 1:11 pm

Half cover

I like this one from EZTouring. I have had mine for a couple of seasons and use it all the time.. Half Cover, well made IMHO.

http://www.eztouring.com/traveller.htm

Quote:

Dave Oehler
2005 LT Dark Graphite - "K-Ship"

BMW-MOA 121422

post #9 of 13 Old Feb 20th, 2007, 1:14 pm

i bought a half cover...put it into a space bag,, squeezed out all the air and it fits in between the tourpack and the passenger backrest
post #10 of 13 Old Feb 20th, 2007, 2:28 pm Thread Starter

Beer can size, sandwich bag size, man all this cover talk is making me hungry. I guess I can live with packing one less beer and PB&J.

Thanks for all of the great advice.
post #11 of 13 Old Feb 20th, 2007, 6:33 pm

Garage
I have a Gezagear cover, found at www.gezagear.com. It fits in a soft bag that's about 4 inches in diameter and about 12 inches long. Stretchy material is waterproof and keeps MeinByk nice and dry when she spends the night outside by herself in some hotel parking lot .

Joe
05 Ocean Blue LT "Mein Byk"
14 Rolls Royce Ghost
16 GLE 63 S
99 CLK 320 Cabriolet
post #12 of 13 Old Feb 20th, 2007, 7:04 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
http://www.eztouring.com/wanderer.htm

I've used this one for the past 7 years - still appears and works as new. My stuff sack is about the size of a small loaf of bread, butt I hear they're now even smaller using a folding technique.

New ones come with a grommet hole for the antenna. I just remove ole Toad's antenna and lay it on the seat areas. Has lower fringe grommets if you wanna use a cable lock.
Sadly, my experience has been no where near as good as brother Dick's or LTOehler.

I went through 2 covers (Traveller) in a bit over 2 years. I covered my bike every day at work, loosely rolled the cover up in the side case when not traveling, and hung the things up to dry when wet, and was extra careful when putting them on and taking them off (especially with cover #2). Maybe they aren't intended for every day use.

I like the fella that makes them - we worked out a fair deal on the second one. I just felt for the money I spent, they sure went bad quick.

My next cover will probably be something like one of these -- http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...657&Division=6
or maybe one of the others mentioned in this thread.
post #13 of 13 Old Apr 4th, 2007, 10:17 pm

I ordered the Nelson-Rigg half cover for everyday commuting. I will let you know how it works out after a few months.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in