Pictures Of My Clutch Teardown - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 64 Old Feb 19th, 2007, 9:09 pm Thread Starter

Pictures Of My Clutch Teardown

For those interested, I thought I would post a few pictures of my bike in it's current state! I am just about to get into the transmission and clutch area to replace the clutch plate! Wow, this is what I call FUN!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	clutch pictures group 2  rear tire removal to exhuast 008.jpg
Views:	2004
Size:	1.05 MB
ID:	10065   Click image for larger version

Name:	clutch pictures group 2  rear tire removal to exhuast 010.jpg
Views:	2906
Size:	1.08 MB
ID:	10066  

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA
'06 Goldwing - "The Black Pearl"
Too many others to list...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 64 Old Feb 19th, 2007, 9:28 pm

Sort of sad to see the ol' bike all strung up like that...

That wouldn't by chance be the muffin pan your wife has been looking for that I see in the foreground?
post #3 of 64 Old Feb 19th, 2007, 9:40 pm

Keep 'em comin' Brother!!!!

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 64 Old Feb 19th, 2007, 9:42 pm Thread Starter

Sure Is!!!

Muffin pans are great for storing parts, bolts, etc and not getting them mixed up! I am also putting particular bolts in zip bags and zip tying them to the part they fit! For an old guy like me, the memory is the first thing to go!

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA

post #5 of 64 Old Feb 19th, 2007, 9:48 pm

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by cccpastorjack
Muffin pans are great for storing parts, bolts, etc and not getting them mixed up! I am also putting particular bolts in zip bags and zip tying them to the part they fit! For an old guy like me, the memory is the first thing to go!
Yep, I know all about that. There are three things that go first when you get older, first the memory, and then ------------------------------------------. Darn, I cannot remember the other two.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #6 of 64 Old Feb 19th, 2007, 9:50 pm

Sex is a misdemeanor... the more I miss, de meaner I get... =)

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #7 of 64 Old Feb 19th, 2007, 10:15 pm

Jack, you got the big kahunna's award for attempting a job like that! I'm rootin for ya brother...

My My.... the damage that is caused by one stupid clutch slave going bad!!!!!
There's a lesson here for those to bite the weep hole bullit...
post #8 of 64 Old Feb 19th, 2007, 10:27 pm

Jack - I'd bet a beer that you will have a left-over screw or two by the time you've completed this job .
post #9 of 64 Old Feb 19th, 2007, 10:33 pm Thread Starter

I'll bet you a coke...

I'll bet you a coke that I won't either!!! I will be VERY methodical! One thing about this bike is, there are no "over the shoulder" parts! (Besides, I'm video taping a lot of the segments of the work. And guess what...I haven't even gotten to the good part yet...INTERNALS!!!!

Left over screws are NOT an option!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	clutch pictures group 2  rear tire removal to exhuast 011.jpg
Views:	1154
Size:	811.5 KB
ID:	10067   Click image for larger version

Name:	clutch pictures group 2  rear tire removal to exhuast 013.jpg
Views:	1144
Size:	964.5 KB
ID:	10068  

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA

post #10 of 64 Old Feb 19th, 2007, 10:59 pm

Quote:
I'm a zip-loc and digital photo guy myself ... Plus this site is a good safety net as well....

We're all pullin' for you Pastor!
post #11 of 64 Old Feb 20th, 2007, 4:10 am

Teardown

Jack

Nice colour of bike and you have a great place to work - sure beats rolling around the floor trying to reach everything. I looked at the first picture and thought nicely tied down - but how is he going to get the centrestand off?

Good luck and keep us informed.

Graham Wintersgill
On the bonnnie bonnie banks of Loch Lomond

2001 K1200LT

1995 K75RT now deceased
post #12 of 64 Old Feb 20th, 2007, 6:31 am

hello Jack,
Just a quick thanks for taking the time to post and update this job.
It is a great help to see what the repair books often only refer to.
Good luck on a successful repair. Denny
post #13 of 64 Old Feb 20th, 2007, 7:32 am

Quote:
Just don't forget where you put the muffin pan and ziplock bags!

Beautify America - Get a Tattoo!
2002 K1200LT (going, going, GONE)
post #14 of 64 Old Feb 20th, 2007, 7:46 am

Jack needed a jack

His trusty local assistant is bringing him the Handy scissor jack from his garage!

Quote:
Originally Posted by grahamw
Jack

Nice colour of bike and you have a great place to work - sure beats rolling around the floor trying to reach everything. I looked at the first picture and thought nicely tied down - but how is he going to get the centrestand off?

Wes Phillips
Lake Norman, NC

99 K1200LT "Hans"
98 R1200C (Sandy's bike) "Betty"
86 Honda Helix "Pooter Scooter"
post #15 of 64 Old Feb 20th, 2007, 7:47 am Thread Starter

Here's how to get the centerstand off...

Quote:
Jack

To remove the centerstand, I will block the engine securely so it will not drop when loosened from the frame. I will then use a scissor jack underneath the rear frame section to raise the frame away from the engine just enough (about four inches) to get the transmission and clutch out from the rear. The centerstand will be removed at this point. I also have a couple of friends who are planning to help when it gets to that point. Mike and Wes...you guys better be ready in about a week or so! The Saga continues...more photos in a few days...waiting for parts.

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA

post #16 of 64 Old Feb 20th, 2007, 7:49 am

visit

hi jack. I took the bike for a ride. i stopped by your place monday about 1.30 pm to look at the poor girl all tore apart. no one home.
post #17 of 64 Old Feb 20th, 2007, 8:19 am

Clutch Tear Down

Jack,
I am available if you need a few more hands. LMK.

Rich Lodge
post #18 of 64 Old Feb 20th, 2007, 8:51 am

I am impressed... That is a major tear down underway! Good luck...
post #19 of 64 Old Feb 20th, 2007, 9:18 am

That is a lotta work just for a little slave cylinder failure, but you're making the best of it by sharing your experience with all of the folks "here"

You're timing is pretty good also and its keeping you outta trouble and "occupied" untill it gets nice out again.
I had "the opportunity" to take my 02 down that far, but I didn't hafta worry about losing any screws or putting her back together which is always a little trickier than taking things apart
Now I've sold most of the bigger stuff but I've got a lotta little bits and pieces "left over" from my old 02, if you are in need of something send me a PM.

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

post #20 of 64 Old Feb 20th, 2007, 10:58 am

Centrestand off

Jack said 'to raise the frame '

Ahhh there is the difference - I was working on my own and kept the frame steady and dropped the engine using a trolley jack. Another 2 options are to use an engine hoist to lift the back of the bike or as David Shealey did place a length of wood under the panniers and support each end with axle stands or sawhorses (he did post a link that I cannot remember). If you keep the supports on the ground instead of the lift you can then drop the lift (gently) which would be the same as lifting the back end - keep a trolley jack under the engine. As long as the back of the engine is higher than the front then the centrestand legs will not be digging into the lift.

Top tip - especially for installing - go to your local Home Depot and get a couple of lengths of threaded rod the same size as the bolts that hold the gear box in which I am pretty sure is 8mm. Cut to required length and let them guide the box back on.

Enjoy - it is a royal pain in the neck but a great sense of achievement when it is done.

Graham Wintersgill
On the bonnnie bonnie banks of Loch Lomond

2001 K1200LT

1995 K75RT now deceased
post #21 of 64 Old Feb 20th, 2007, 11:31 am

As an aside... every time I see muffin pans or loaf pans or other metal bakeware at a garage sale for less than $0.25, I grab them. Great for parts, draining fluids, soaking parts in solvent, etc.

I see Jack is also employing the very important tool a wrencher should never be without: The Sharpie.

The next time I start pulling tupperware off, every hole will be marked as to whether the "long" or "short" screw goes there.

By the time I sold my GL1500, every major fastener was marked as to the size of socket needed to remove it.

Sharpies rule.

If you look at the map and don't care where you are, you're not lost.

2000 K1200LT
1977 R75/7
1962 R60/2
post #22 of 64 Old Feb 20th, 2007, 12:06 pm

Well your getting there... I like the idea of the muffing tins... I wonder if wifey will mind??

Rich in Florida
post #23 of 64 Old Feb 20th, 2007, 3:41 pm

Quote:
I'll bet you a coke that I won't either!!! I will be VERY methodical! One thing about this bike is, there are no "over the shoulder" parts! (Besides, I'm video taping a lot of the segments of the work. And guess what...I haven't even gotten to the good part yet...INTERNALS!!!!

Pastor Jack,

You and I would get along famously. I agree, with a job like this leftover anything is not an option. What an undertaking! Do you mind answering a few background questions please?

o What is the cause of this repair? Earlier in the thread a bad slave cylinder was mentioned. Can you expound on this please?

o What is the red flat device that the bike is strapped to? Assume it's a car ramp of some kind that allows for easier access? Again, this was alluded to earlier in the thread but I wanted to ask specifically.

Good luck to you and thanks for this on-going saga. I love reading about repairs of this magnitude. Really provides a sense of accomplishment and allows you to know your bike better. Am looking forward to further pics/updates.

Regards,

David
post #24 of 64 Old Feb 20th, 2007, 5:05 pm Thread Starter

A Few Answers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpancerz
Pastor Jack,

You and I would get along famously. I agree, with a job like this leftover anything is not an option. What an undertaking! Do you mind answering a few background questions please?

o What is the cause of this repair? Earlier in the thread a bad slave cylinder was mentioned. Can you expound on this please?

o What is the red flat device that the bike is strapped to? Assume it's a car ramp of some kind that allows for easier access? Again, this was alluded to earlier in the thread but I wanted to ask specifically.

Good luck to you and thanks for this on-going saga. I love reading about repairs of this magnitude. Really provides a sense of accomplishment and allows you to know your bike better. Am looking forward to further pics/updates.

Regards,

David

David,

Thanks for the interest. Here are a few answers:

1. The cause of this repair was a failed seal in the Clutch Slave Cylinder. When this seal fails (and they have a very high failure rate), clutch (dot 4 brake) fluid leaks from the Slave cylinder and then runs along the clutch acuator push-rod and onto the clutch disc. When this happens, it ruins the clutch disc and the clutch begins to slip. The disc then must be changed.

2. The "Red Flat Device" that the bike is strapped to is my motorcycle lift. Sure makes this type of job easier!!!!

And, actually, I walked out into the garage this morning and looked at the bike on the lift. I am convinced that the pictures make this job look much more confusing than it really is. So far, I have performed the job in three "segments", none of which were too difficult or complicated.

1. Removal of tupperware, footpegs, seat, etc.
2. Removal of Rear wheel, swing arm. (all the way to the clutch slave)
3. Removal of transmission, clutch.

Looking at it from a segmented view helps me not to be as overwhelmed as I would if I were to look at it as a whole! "Life is better in bite-sized chunks!"

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA

post #25 of 64 Old Feb 20th, 2007, 7:32 pm

Quote:
2. The "Red Flat Device" that the bike is strapped to is my motorcycle lift. !"
Jack I was hoping you would elaborate a little more on the cycle lift, which one is it?

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

post #26 of 64 Old Feb 20th, 2007, 8:00 pm

Quote:
Jack said 'to raise the frame '

Ahhh there is the difference - I was working on my own and kept the frame steady and dropped the engine using a trolley jack. Another 2 options are to use an engine hoist to lift the back of the bike or as David Shealey did place a length of wood under the panniers and support each end with axle stands or sawhorses (he did post a link that I cannot remember). ------------------------------.
Here are the pics again. I used the wood across jackstands when I removed the transmission, at a later date when I needed to remove the engine, I used the engine hoist.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	BikeLifted.JPG
Views:	855
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	10094   Click image for larger version

Name:	EngineHoist.JPG
Views:	911
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	10095  

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
post #27 of 64 Old Feb 20th, 2007, 8:04 pm Thread Starter

Sure Thing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBuffalo
Jack I was hoping you would elaborate a little more on the cycle lift, which one is it?

The lift is really a great lift. It is either compressor or foot-pump driven. VERY stable! Works great! Also has the extra side ramps so you can drive a four-wheeler (or huge, heavy LT ) on it, no problem! Nice wheel vise in front! The section underneath the rear wheel slides forward (kinda' like a trap door) to ease removal of rear wheel.

Here's a little more information and a few pics:

Ranger Products
Model: RML-750 HD
Capacity: 1,650 lbs.
Phone #1-805-933-9970
Web Information:
http://www.rangerproducts.com/produc...roducts_id=661

And, this is the best part...The lift was a FREE GIFT from a close friend.

WOW, has it been a blessing!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Ranger Motorcycle Lift 004.jpg
Views:	1663
Size:	1,022.2 KB
ID:	10096   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ranger Motorcycle Lift 001.jpg
Views:	438
Size:	775.9 KB
ID:	10097   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ranger Motorcycle Lift 002.jpg
Views:	334
Size:	778.0 KB
ID:	10098  

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA

post #28 of 64 Old Feb 21st, 2007, 11:16 am

Jack,

Many thanks for such a complete reply. I didn't know what else to call your motorcycle lift so pardon the awkward "red flat device" phrase! I too wanted to know more about it so I appreciate the details. The right tools, lifts, stands, etc can make all the difference in the world.

As for the lift being given to you from a friend, all I can say is that you're livin' right!

Thanks again,

David
post #29 of 64 Old Feb 23rd, 2007, 10:31 pm Thread Starter

NEW PICTURES February 23rd

Here are a few more pictures for those interested. I have only taken a few more parts off and gotten the bike "blocked" safely, but had three riders stop by today to see what an LT looks like undressed so I thought I would post a few more pics! Some notes too - concerning Clutch Slave Seal, etc.

Right now, I'm waiting on a few parts and next Friday, Saturday and Sunday are re-assembly days! The saga continues.....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Gearbox Output side w notes.jpg
Views:	871
Size:	116.0 KB
ID:	10134   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bike on Lift w notes2.jpg
Views:	664
Size:	160.9 KB
ID:	10136   Click image for larger version

Name:	Slave Cylinder w notes.jpg
Views:	779
Size:	127.6 KB
ID:	10137  

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA

Last edited by cccpastorjack; Feb 23rd, 2007 at 11:19 pm.
post #30 of 64 Old Mar 4th, 2007, 8:55 pm Thread Starter

A Few Updated Pics...

Just thought some might like to see a few more pics. I am WAY too tired to post details this evening, but a more complete post will follow when I am rested! Whew....this is a MAJOR undertaking...BUT, going very well. We'll know the WHOLE story when this girl is running again! Here's a few more pics:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	3rd stage clutch job 037.jpg
Views:	767
Size:	627.9 KB
ID:	10322   Click image for larger version

Name:	3rd stage clutch job 033.jpg
Views:	773
Size:	967.2 KB
ID:	10323   Click image for larger version

Name:	3rd stage clutch job 034.jpg
Views:	736
Size:	945.1 KB
ID:	10324  

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA

post #31 of 64 Old Mar 5th, 2007, 10:52 am

Quote:

Just for saying that your buddies should show up with a stray bolt and drop it in the muffin pan, then after eating a pizza, watching you try to figure it out.
Say "Oh I had that in my pocket it was rubbing my leg so I just tossed it in the bolt pan.
Rock
post #32 of 64 Old Mar 5th, 2007, 1:06 pm
Gold Supporter

Smile "Pictures of my clutch teardown"

I was told once by an elderly friend that you can tell you're really aging progressively when,

1. You forget to zip up when done

2. You forget to tuck it back in when done and/or zip up

3. You forget to unzip and just pee in your pants
post #33 of 64 Old Mar 5th, 2007, 1:13 pm Thread Starter

Finished Job!!!!

Well,

This morning (Monday) we finished the job. The clutch is now replaced and seems to work just fine. Bike is back together and everything works!

I haven't taken it for a long ride yet, but took it several miles and it was great. Heck...it was great just to RIDE again! I swear, there were so many parts in my garage it looked we took THREE motorcycles apart!!!

I have posted a few more pics so you can enjoy. Thanks for all the prayers and good wishes.

Special thanks to the following:

Mike St. Just - "Sheldan2"

An excellent mechanic with a natural ability to take things apart and put
them back together RIGHT! Couldn't have done it without you pal!

Wes Phillips
Thanks for the usage of the Handy Lift Scissor Jack (indespensible)!
Thanks also for the coolant and moral support!

Dan Brown
Dan stopped by several times and usually I was either gone or BURIED
in the bike and couldn't even talk much. What a great guy - willing to run
parts or anything.

Everyone on this site
Never met such a helpful bunch of people! Any time I had a question, the
answer was just a click away! This site really is a blessing!

AND...GUESS WHAT????? NOT EVEN ONE LITTLE SCREW LEFT OVER!!!!!

Now...just pray that she will run out properly for the next few days and I'll feel better enough to actually relax. GOSH...I hope we got all that back together right!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	BMW2revised.jpg
Views:	505
Size:	202.6 KB
ID:	10337   Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW2revised.jpg
Views:	398
Size:	202.6 KB
ID:	10338   Click image for larger version

Name:	Finished Job Revised.jpg
Views:	453
Size:	214.4 KB
ID:	10339  

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA

post #34 of 64 Old Mar 5th, 2007, 5:51 pm

Smile

I just put the extra screws in my pocket Jack.
post #35 of 64 Old Mar 5th, 2007, 5:54 pm Thread Starter

Man...oh man....

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheldan2
I just put the extra screws in my pocket Jack.

You stink! But...you sure are a great mechanic! Thanks again for all the help. Just took it out for a 20 mile short-hop and it seems fine. No hiccups yet!

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA

post #36 of 64 Old Mar 5th, 2007, 8:24 pm

Congratulations, Pastor. You're an inspiration to BMW home-garage mechanics everywhere. Thanks for the great pictures and documentary.

Cheers,
-joel
post #37 of 64 Old Mar 5th, 2007, 8:50 pm

Congrats on your succesful surgery Jack. Just in time for the best riding season.

Have fun.

John

2004 - LT - Anthracite
post #38 of 64 Old Mar 5th, 2007, 9:02 pm Thread Starter

Thanks John...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowlesj
Congrats on your succesful surgery Jack. Just in time for the best riding season.

Have fun.

Wow...what a BEAR it was! Hey...but this time I DID remember to connect the Drive Shaft to the Rear Drive! I works a lot better that way. I rode it some more this evening and it still is doing well.

When I ride this bike, I remember why I put up with its mechanical idiosyncrasies! Gosh...I just love the way this bike performs! It's a pain in the butt to work on, but WOW do I love to ride it!

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA

post #39 of 64 Old Mar 5th, 2007, 9:16 pm

Quote:
Just thought some might like to see a few more pics. I am WAY too tired to post details this evening, but a more complete post will follow when I am rested! Whew....this is a MAJOR undertaking...BUT, going very well. We'll know the WHOLE story when this girl is running again! Here's a few more pics:
Jack, that is the cleanest clutch housing I have ever seen! Did you use dental floss on it?

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
post #40 of 64 Old Mar 6th, 2007, 6:41 am

Jack,

Nice job. Do you know how many hours this project took you? It sure makes drilling the weep hole look easy.

Kevin

1999 K1200LT, patiently waiting for a new model.

Slave Cylinder Procedure->
post #41 of 64 Old Mar 6th, 2007, 7:12 am

Jack:
Really nice job. A lot of work, but I bet your checking account is thanking you over and over and over...............

Ray

Ray Rau
Brewster, NY
'99 LT - Champagne
post #42 of 64 Old Mar 6th, 2007, 7:38 am Thread Starter

Thanks Kevin....

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevincook
Jack,

Nice job. Do you know how many hours this project took you? It sure makes drilling the weep hole look easy.

Kevin

Yes Kevin...the job took about 15-20 hours (actual labor). But, please understand that I went very S-L-O-W, marking and cleaning every part along the way. I went the extra mile on everything, cleaning every thread, mating surfaces, etc.

I probably am way too anal about cleanliness in the shop, but that's the way I'm put together. I was trained under a guy who would almost fire you for putting a wrench back in the box w/o wiping it down! And, I did it over the period of about 2 weeks, in "blocks" of time as available.

I also had another mechanic help me with probably 65% of the job. His presence really made all the difference! Your instructions sure helped from the swingarm back! Use them all the time. And yes, a Slave Cylinder/Weephole is a very simple operation for me now. This was MUCH more of a task. Thanks again!

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA

post #43 of 64 Old Mar 6th, 2007, 10:06 am

Well, I see two things wrong right off the bat in your photos.
1. You have a manual open. That's cheating.
2. Your hammer isn't nearly big enough! But it is at hand.

It looks like a good job well done!

Matt
95 Honda Magna (sold)
97 R1100RT (sold)
00 LTc, Canyon Red "Tarkus" (sold)
01 F650GS (wifey's, sold)
01 Ducati S4 Monster "LittleOne"
04 R1150RT (turned to scrap)
99 R1100RT Tundra Green
Kalamazoo, MI
"Worry does not rob tomorrow of it's sorrow. It saps the strength of today."
post #44 of 64 Old Mar 6th, 2007, 10:17 am

well done

Jack Perhaps the older youve gotten the better you are.
When I was growing up they said cleanliness was next to Godliness. You could have served the king his supper in the bell housing.Nice Job
Fred

FEAR NOT THE PATH OF INDIVIDUALITY-for the flock may well be led to slaughter.
post #45 of 64 Old Mar 6th, 2007, 12:38 pm

Thumbs up Well done and excellent pictures

Jack,
Excellent job, I hope when I have to do mine i'll do as nice a job. I photoed your pics and put them in my computer so I have a good reference when I do my clutch.
It slipped once on me last July in Texas but hasn't since.
I have been babying it now for 40k miles so I don't have to do what you just finished.
I know you will be glad you did this yourself every time you ride from now on.
Jim
South Park, PA.
2003 K1200LTE 48000 miles
2001 Suzuki bandit 1200S 49000 miles
post #46 of 64 Old Mar 6th, 2007, 1:06 pm

Amazing

Jack, you've done a great job and an even better one of documenting it for this site. Congratulations.

<set candid on>
I have avoided this thread (literally and intentionally) because I had this job done to my LT, under warranty, when the slave cylinder failed and took the clutch with it at 1200 miles. I made the mistake of walking into the dealer's service area while the bike was disassembled and saw pretty much what you show in one of your first photos. I think I still have PTSD from that experience! Seeing one's bike stripped down and hanging from the rafters is not something for the faint-of-heart.

I'm not a mechanic nor mechanically-inclined. I changed a burned-out turn signal bulb on the LT, installed a license plate helmet holder thing (uh, 4 times) installed the Baehr intercom (ching!) and can change a windshield with the best of them. Oh yeah, and I did a canisterectomy with 3 guys standing over me telling me what to do. No wait -- that was just Joe -- one guy!
<set candid off>

Any way, congratulations on a very nice job. So... when are you sponsoring the next slave cylinder hole-drill tech session? Or come on up to Ohio; I'll sponsor the tech session and you can provide the expertise.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #47 of 64 Old Mar 6th, 2007, 7:22 pm Thread Starter

Don't Tempt Me....

Quote:
Originally Posted by hschisler
Jack, you've done a great job and an even better one of documenting it for this site. Congratulations.

<set candid on>
I have avoided this thread (literally and intentionally) because I had this job done to my LT, under warranty, when the slave cylinder failed and took the clutch with it at 1200 miles. I made the mistake of walking into the dealer's service area while the bike was disassembled and saw pretty much what you show in one of your first photos. I think I still have PTSD from that experience! Seeing one's bike stripped down and hanging from the rafters is not something for the faint-of-heart.

I'm not a mechanic nor mechanically-inclined. I changed a burned-out turn signal bulb on the LT, installed a license plate helmet holder thing (uh, 4 times) installed the Baehr intercom (ching!) and can change a windshield with the best of them. Oh yeah, and I did a canisterectomy with 3 guys standing over me telling me what to do. No wait -- that was just Joe -- one guy!
<set candid off>

Any way, congratulations on a very nice job. So... when are you sponsoring the next slave cylinder hole-drill tech session? Or come on up to Ohio; I'll sponsor the tech session and you can provide the expertise.

If someone has a garage and a lift up that way, I could be tempted to come and do a session! I certainly have the tools. Thanks for the kind comments. I rode it again today and it was fine. Is there any interest in a tech session for the weephole up there???

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA

post #48 of 64 Old Mar 6th, 2007, 7:31 pm

Quote:
Or come on up to Ohio; I'll sponsor the tech session and you can provide the expertise.
That's a good idea, I'm heading to Columbus near the end of April. The 20-22 I believe.

Jack, we could freight train up there and between the 2 of us, and any other takers, hall the required tools. As of last inventory, Howard's tool box was a little light.

I may even dig into mine this time, slave cyclinder that is, it's about time.

John

2004 - LT - Anthracite
post #49 of 64 Old Mar 6th, 2007, 8:31 pm

Hmmmm.... I see a plan developing, although April 20-22 is the same time as STC III. I assume you're not going?

I have a four-bay garage and Jim Sciullo (an hour away) has a lift we borrowed for last year's Tech Sessions. He might be convinced to let us do that again.

If you guys wanna do it that would be great. You have to know the slave cylinder weep hole drill procedure is highly-prized. I can't put anyone up in the house, but I have 3 acres of yard and woods for camping in, and Lisa might be convinced to provide her usual outstanding meals!

Put on your thinking caps and let me know.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #50 of 64 Old Mar 6th, 2007, 10:23 pm Thread Starter

Do You Think There Would Be Serious Interest???

Quote:
Hmmmm.... I see a plan developing, although April 20-22 is the same time as STC III. I assume you're not going?

I have a four-bay garage and Jim Sciullo (an hour away) has a lift we borrowed for last year's Tech Sessions. He might be convinced to let us do that again.

If you guys wanna do it that would be great. You have to know the slave cylinder weep hole drill procedure is highly-prized. I can't put anyone up in the house, but I have 3 acres of yard and woods for camping in, and Lisa might be convinced to provide her usual outstanding meals!

Put on your thinking caps and let me know.

I wonder how we could determine if there would be sufficient interest. We could probably do 4-6 in one day if we worked hard. Hey...Mike St. Just...wanna go to Ohio?????

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in