Highest Mileage LT - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 Old Feb 19th, 2007, 7:27 pm Thread Starter
jsr

Highest Mileage LT

Just curious, what is the highest total mileage LT. I have heard of some over 300,000 miles, but are there any over 4 or 5.

At my lowly 106 I keep getting questions when I am going to trade. My standard response has been either when it gets to expensive to maintain or when there is a better machine available. Neither of which is true at this point.

Currently in shop getting ready for next season (rider has been ready for months, but weather not so hot in Fargo, ND). Will have new shocks, battery, clutch and clutch slave (done because we have her open for a small leak either at rear of engine or front of tranny). Felt bad taking it down to the shop as it is the first time I have trailered a bike, knew it would be week or more to do everything I wanted and the shop is 550 miles from home.

Jeff
Fargo, ND
2005 K1200LT 341,000+
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old Feb 19th, 2007, 8:55 pm

My 05's is still new compared to yours, only 20,450 on it. Yours is probably the highest mileage in the shortest time!

05' LT Dark Grey, "Battle Star"
14' KTM 1190
03' KTM 450 EXC Dually
72' Honda SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
65' Honda CB160
70' Honda CB350
post #3 of 26 Old Feb 19th, 2007, 9:05 pm

106 since 05 is awesome...
mile mongers should chime in with a normalized distance, i.e. miles/years. I'm interested to see where this thread goes!

post #4 of 26 Old Feb 19th, 2007, 9:29 pm Thread Starter
jsr

Mileage breakdown

First year was short, didn't get till May 21, only had 31K on by season end. Second season 37K great season, wifes cancer in remission. Third season 38K, to many family obligations which took away weekend ride time, still a great season with no cancer recurrence. The lucky dog has been along for the majority of our rides, is an 8 lb miniature pincher.

If interest have posted just vacation pictures to http://myweb.cableone.net/jsrye

I am not out for any record, but just curious as to what I can expect out of this ride and would like to find out what preventative things I can continue to do to avoid having a good day go to something less enjoyable.

This has been the greatest bike I have ever had the privilege of riding and was an inspiration for my wife as she went through surgery and chemo as she wanted the next trip and was ready for vacation and all the scene's of nature that we still have left to explore.

Jeff
Fargo, ND
2005 K1200LT 341,000+
post #5 of 26 Old Feb 19th, 2007, 10:15 pm

Just looked at the vacation pic's, very nice. So many of the pic's from Ca look like mine, must have been in each others foot prints! I noticed you talked about the rear oil seal repaired? Did they have to replace the bearing or just the seal? How many miles were on the bike at that time?

05' LT Dark Grey, "Battle Star"
14' KTM 1190
03' KTM 450 EXC Dually
72' Honda SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
65' Honda CB160
70' Honda CB350
post #6 of 26 Old Feb 19th, 2007, 10:26 pm Thread Starter
jsr

rear seal

First time around in Seatle was around front seal 18k, again leaked about 24k and then again (not sure of mileage) then rear end replaced. Since then had the outer shaft portion fail at around 95K. BMW and dealer have been great as only had to pay for install not part.

Jeff
Fargo, ND
2005 K1200LT 341,000+
post #7 of 26 Old Feb 19th, 2007, 11:45 pm

Great Photos Jeff. Anyones got to be impressed at the miles you manage to rack up. More importantly, the time you take to smell the roses and enjoy this great country! Your a very good role model for the rest of us.

2005 LT AKA:"PHAT BOY"
Dark Graphite

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 26 Old Feb 20th, 2007, 8:49 am

Jeff....congrtatulations on a great vacation and some wonderful pictures. as a photography buff, I am curious as to which camera you used to shoot those great shots. The clarity and depth of field is magnificent. all automatic or manual?
Thanks for sharing.....Larry

Life is what happens while you're making other plans
post #9 of 26 Old Feb 20th, 2007, 9:18 am Thread Starter
jsr

Camera

Those photo's were all with my old 35mm Nikon FM2, all manual (does have light meter) with a 50MM F1.4 lens. I am a little worried as I am planning on retiring that camera as I have just purchased a Nikon D200 with a 32MM F2 lens and hope we are able to get as nice a shots out of it.

Will try the digital and if not satisfied the old camera and lens are still a gem.

Jeff
Fargo, ND
2005 K1200LT 341,000+
post #10 of 26 Old Feb 20th, 2007, 10:33 am

We met at a fuel stop in Colorado.

Hello Jeff, greetings from the warmer part of this great country.
To answer your first question, the highest mileage LT that I know is Don Arthurs bike,
which did have over 300K on it before his accident
http://www.donarthur.net/

But I think that you, sir probably have the record for the most miles on an 05
What I think is really "cool" about that is that you're not "out there" trying to break any records just to satisfy your ego but instead are riding just for the love of riding.

Also your "Minpin" is the only dog I've ever heard of that has "ridden" over 100,000 miles,
I think BMW needs to create a "special" collar commemorating that.

I thoroughly enjoyed viewing all of your pictures,
sent the link to my brother and some friends and saved it to "my favorites"
I too have "snapped" some of those same photo's but "your's' somehow look a lot better,
but then my cheap digital camera is only a 2 MP,

The one feature I do like about "digital" is that the pictures don't cost anything once you've bought the camera and chip for it.

My best wishes to you and Shannon, hope to see you again "on the road"

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

post #11 of 26 Old Feb 20th, 2007, 10:22 pm

Wink Impressive

Jeff, I was wondering if you bring your bike south in the winter? I'm from East Grand Forks and only average 10,000/year the last 4 years. Wish I could ride more. You and your wife have did a great job.

Steve
post #12 of 26 Old Feb 22nd, 2007, 6:15 pm Thread Starter
jsr

If anybody is interested I just talked with the mechanic and my bill should be just under $4,000. I am pleasantly surprised, thought it would be in the 5 area. I did have 12k + annual including brake, clutch, and cooling system flush, broken thermostat replaced, new Ohlin shocks, new battery, rear main engine seal, clutch slave and clutch, new cam chain and tensioner rails (were in there and so did it), front intercom harness replaced, and then under parts warranty the 3rd centerstand installed. I also asked them to detail it as I want to start the season with a clean almost new bike.

I was also advised that my cam chain was off by 1 tooth so should have more power, not that I thought I was missing any power. The only other time the chain had been off was at another dealer so am glad that I am going back to the shop that sold me the bike, even though they are 550 miles away.

Still less expensive than a new bike.

Jeff
Fargo, ND
2005 K1200LT 341,000+
post #13 of 26 Old Feb 22nd, 2007, 10:35 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsr
If anybody is interested I just talked with the mechanic and my bill should be just under $4,000. I am pleasantly surprised, thought it would be in the 5 area. I did have 12k + annual including brake, clutch, and cooling system flush, broken thermostat replaced, new Ohlin shocks, new battery, rear main engine seal, clutch slave and clutch, new cam chain and tensioner rails (were in there and so did it), front intercom harness replaced, and then under parts warranty the 3rd centerstand installed. I also asked them to detail it as I want to start the season with a clean almost new bike.

I was also advised that my cam chain was off by 1 tooth so should have more power, not that I thought I was missing any power. The only other time the chain had been off was at another dealer so am glad that I am going back to the shop that sold me the bike, even though they are 550 miles away.

Still less expensive than a new bike.
Jeff, your dedication to "refreshing" your bike at over 100K miles is an excellent example of putting the LT to the long term life test.

I wonder if Don Arthur forked out the same kind of money to keep his high mileage (now deceased) bike on the road? Many riders out there would probably not have made the expensive commitment to a bike with over 100k.
post #14 of 26 Old Feb 23rd, 2007, 7:51 pm

Please Send The Route!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsr
First year was short, didn't get till May 21, only had 31K on by season end. Second season 37K great season, wifes cancer in remission. Third season 38K, to many family obligations which took away weekend ride time, still a great season with no cancer recurrence. The lucky dog has been along for the majority of our rides, is an 8 lb miniature pincher.

If interest have posted just vacation pictures to http://myweb.cableone.net/jsrye

I am not out for any record, but just curious as to what I can expect out of this ride and would like to find out what preventative things I can continue to do to avoid having a good day go to something less enjoyable.

This has been the greatest bike I have ever had the privilege of riding and was an inspiration for my wife as she went through surgery and chemo as she wanted the next trip and was ready for vacation and all the scene's of nature that we still have left to explore.
Man that is EXACTLY the type of trip we have planed this summer when the wife gets off of work for the summer! My sister lives in Lakeside MT near Billings. Please, Please elaborate on the exact route (the map is unclear) so we can clone it on our way from FL! The pics you took are simply remarkable, are you a professional photographer?!
We have a three year plan, (1) NW U.S.A. (2) Eastern U.S.A. (3) SW U.S.A. any advice would be much appreciated!

2013 BMW Damask Red K1600GTL
2014 BMW K1600GTL-E EXCLUSIVE
2001 Honda C-250 Helix
SOLD 2006 BMW K-1200LT "The Manatee"

Smokin'

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #15 of 26 Old Feb 24th, 2007, 9:59 am Thread Starter
jsr

Not a professional

Joe,

In no way am I or my wife (who takes most the pics) professional photographers. She and I (as I'm the one that needs to stop the bike for pic) have a great appreciation of natural beauty and try to capture it as it is with no special tricks or enhancements.

I did try to send you e-mail regarding your route questions, advise if you receive and I will help in any way I can.

Jeff
Fargo, ND
2005 K1200LT 341,000+
post #16 of 26 Old Feb 24th, 2007, 12:52 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodoodrum
I wonder if Don Arthur forked out the same kind of money to keep his high mileage (now deceased) bike on the road? Many riders out there would probably not have made the expensive commitment to a bike with over 100k.
NOPE! is the answer to your question. Don is one of those smart guys who did all of his own work on his bikes.

My bike is also practically brand new. It only has 105K on it but it has a new engine, new transmission, new rear drive,( 3rd one) new wiring harness for intercom, new Rick Mayer seat, new shocks, all fresh oil, new tires, and the whole bike has been technically inspected with a fine tooth comb. The great thing about that bike is that it still looks brand new with it's new detail job. Needless to say it cost me a pretty penny but it runs like a dream.

Coni
post #17 of 26 Old Feb 24th, 2007, 12:58 pm Thread Starter
jsr

Thank God

Very glad I didn't need the new engine and transmission, then I may have considered replacing it.

Jeff
Fargo, ND
2005 K1200LT 341,000+
post #18 of 26 Old Feb 24th, 2007, 6:41 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by black1200lt
NOPE! is the answer to your question. Don is one of those smart guys who did all of his own work on his bikes.

My bike is also practically brand new. It only has 105K on it but it has a new engine, new transmission, new rear drive,( 3rd one) new wiring harness for intercom, new Rick Mayer seat, new shocks, all fresh oil, new tires, and the whole bike has been technically inspected with a fine tooth comb. The great thing about that bike is that it still looks brand new with it's new detail job. Needless to say it cost me a pretty penny but it runs like a dream.

Coni
Practically brand new???? What is the diminishing rate of return after you install a new engine and all the the other expensive hardware on a bike with 105K miles?
I mean I understand "keeping an old friend", but a decent used LT can be around $7k if you are patient.
post #19 of 26 Old Feb 28th, 2007, 8:08 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodoodrum
Practically brand new???? What is the diminishing rate of return after you install a new engine and all the the other expensive hardware on a bike with 105K miles?
I mean I understand "keeping an old friend", but a decent used LT can be around $7k if you are patient.

You figure it out!!
Well, yes you have a point there; however since those items were all covered under my extended warranty I had to ask myself what is the cost of putting on a new auxiliary fuel tank, with a custom on and off switch, the all new wiring for four HID LIGHTS (Both high and Low beam aux. HID lights as well as two moto lights all with protective rock proof covers. Not to mention a one gallon of water engineered and wired for auto pump on each foot peg, Aux. foot lowering kits, Plus extended foot pegs. A Little-Lite engineered for the handlebar mount, The wiring of the Valentine I hidden on the bike as well as a Garmin GPs, iPod, BMW Intercom/CB w/ aux. switches for passenger. Also added the perfect design of a ZI[P-ON ZIP-OFF tank bag with many transferrable/interchangable see-through vinyl pages. Custom and Heated Seat and custom Back rest, We can't forget the BMW extra mirrors and aux. light switches for the
MOTO lights, and the special effort of the drilled slave cylinders to guard from yet another Clutch failure. Lets not forget the special wiring and mounting of the SmarTire and extended mud flaps. New Cee Bailey windshield, Muth Mirrors with built in signals and the side bags wired lights with switch indicators, and the lighted rack on the top box.

I'm sure I have left off a few dozen other items but as we all know that is all in the cost of doing business and being comfortable and safe.

Fact of the matter is I even bought a new LT thinking of starting over again; yet I can't make sense of doing it AGAIN as the 01' is perfect in every way.

So once you get those numbers crunched...let me know what is the diminishing rate of return would be.
post #20 of 26 Old Feb 28th, 2007, 10:19 pm

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by black1200lt
You figure it out!!
Well, yes you have a point there; however since those items were all covered under my extended warranty I had to ask myself what is the cost of putting on a new auxiliary fuel tank, with a custom on and off switch, the all new wiring for four HID LIGHTS (Both high and Low beam aux. HID lights as well as two moto lights all with protective rock proof covers. Not to mention a one gallon of water engineered and wired for auto pump on each foot peg, Aux. foot lowering kits, Plus extended foot pegs. A Little-Lite engineered for the handlebar mount, The wiring of the Valentine I hidden on the bike as well as a Garmin GPs, iPod, BMW Intercom/CB w/ aux. switches for passenger. Also added the perfect design of a ZI[P-ON ZIP-OFF tank bag with many transferrable/interchangable see-through vinyl pages. Custom and Heated Seat and custom Back rest, We can't forget the BMW extra mirrors and aux. light switches for the
MOTO lights, and the special effort of the drilled slave cylinders to guard from yet another Clutch failure. Lets not forget the special wiring and mounting of the SmarTire and extended mud flaps. New Cee Bailey windshield, Muth Mirrors with built in signals and the side bags wired lights with switch indicators, and the lighted rack on the top box.

I'm sure I have left off a few dozen other items but as we all know that is all in the cost of doing business and being comfortable and safe.

Fact of the matter is I even bought a new LT thinking of starting over again; yet I can't make sense of doing it AGAIN as the 01' is perfect in every way.

So once you get those numbers crunched...let me know what is the diminishing rate of return would be.

LOLOL....... I am certain money is NOT an issue at this point so "diminishing return" is not applicable. Had my wife asked about that list of goodies on my bike, I would have concocted a great line of BS to justify my expenses.
post #21 of 26 Old Mar 30th, 2007, 2:14 am

Wink Low Mileage

Man O Man!

I feel like a light weight with on 40K on my 99!!!

I do have it farkeled up allot and I also spend a bunch on maintenance. The last major Item was the Clutch Slave system.

I think I would be bow legged with over 300K on it. Heck I dont have that kind of milage on "All" my vehicles put together.

Keep riding

Later

Steve A
post #22 of 26 Old Mar 30th, 2007, 7:48 am

Miles to go

Jeff
I think it is great you and your wife take the time to really see and enjoy this country. I hope I am able to even travel a portion of the miles with my wife in that time frame. Keep it up.
post #23 of 26 Old Mar 30th, 2007, 9:57 am

Yikes, and I was whining about 82k on my 02 already (only 1500 in 02, the rest after the spring of 03). Thats a lotta miles on an 05!!

Although my bike is in for an oil leak repair (I think its the rear main seal), it has never run smoother or better.

Its setup like i want it. Sure, been tempted to grab one of these super deals on a new-used one, but I think I'm just going to run this thing into the ground.

Happy trails, I obviously don't need to tell you that! ...geo
post #24 of 26 Old Mar 30th, 2007, 10:30 am Thread Starter
jsr

Slows the ride

Weather started to get nice last week and went for a local ride on the weekend. I came across this new means of speed control on ND county roads. The herd brings you to a stop on a side road and the droppings keep your speed down on the road after they pass.

Jeff
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ndhazard1.JPG
Views:	69
Size:	115.8 KB
ID:	10743  

Jeff
Fargo, ND
2005 K1200LT 341,000+
post #25 of 26 Old Mar 30th, 2007, 10:00 pm

Whoooaaaa..........

watch out for that "brown ice"

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

post #26 of 26 Old Apr 1st, 2007, 4:35 pm

Highest Mileage LT

I haven't posted here for five years.
Its good to see some of the same great people are still well and active.

Canyon Red 2000 K1200LT, 134K miles, 100+ national parks.
Farthest travelled (from Iowa): Deadhorse AK, Yuma AZ, Key West FL, Ottawa, Canada.

terry

Last edited by TerryG; Apr 1st, 2007 at 4:40 pm. Reason: Replaced erroneous state abbr, AR, with AZ.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in