Time to purchase new Helmets...HELP!! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old Oct 1st, 2005, 10:13 am Thread Starter

Time to purchase new Helmets...HELP!!

Itís that time again. My helmets are over two years.

Need advice on helmets w/J&M installed.

I am looking for helmets with J&M correctly installed through the helmet (Iím inapt at doing that myself). I currently have Nolans with added J&Ms cliped to helmet, I like the lifting face but the way the J&Ms are installed. The C2 seems kind of pricy, especially when Iím looking at purchasing two.

Anyone have a suggestion? Anyone out there selling helmets?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Justin Case
02 BMW K1200LTE
97 Kawasaki Concours
81 Honda Goldwing

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Oct 1st, 2005, 10:24 am

Motorcyclist Mag. had a good article on Helmets a few months ago.

but for now, hows this?

True Wisdom Only Comes From Pain.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old Oct 1st, 2005, 12:47 pm

Try KBC site

I've been doing a bit od helmet shopping too and ran across a KBC with a com line coming out, It may also have been on the HRC site. Try them both, but was a 3/4 not full face.
Brian B

Old Oct 1st, 2005, 12:53 pm

Exclamation Why don't we use the appropriate forum

The admins have given us a really cool site to play in with things like Farkles, Gadgets, and Gear Forum and Apparel Sub Forum. That way we're not jamming up the K1200LT forum with stuff that isn't really pertinent to the bike. It's just a thought.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
Old Oct 1st, 2005, 1:13 pm

Thumbs up Logged On At Last

thank god i have eventually logged on , i was wondering what have they done ,but i see there have been changes to this site and i hope you do not have too many problems.
best of luck to you all .

04 graphite in good old Blighty.
Old Oct 1st, 2005, 1:23 pm

Here is a site that sells and installs J&M, they also sell Arai and HJC helmets.

http://www.sierra-mc.com/
Old Oct 1st, 2005, 6:15 pm

I have an 3/4 Aria that is made for J&M with the com plug molded into it. It is the best helmet I have ever had. The only complaint I have is the music has less bass in it than my full face Aria.
Old Oct 1st, 2005, 6:20 pm

Look at helmetharbor.com you'll find most of the info you need in there.
Old Oct 1st, 2005, 10:41 pm

I saw this the other day....you might be find it informative.

http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/acc...r/fliphelmets/

I find it odd that the 'quiet' helmet is actually at the db level where hearing protection is advised. I read somewhere that there is no quiet helmet, just loud and louder.
Old Oct 1st, 2005, 11:26 pm

I wore Arai Sz/M helmets, absolutely LOVED Them. That is the 3/4 with the flip shield.

I got MUCH better bass after I removed the Autocom speakers and put the Radio Shack Titanium head set speakers in. Easy to do, just rip the speakers off the headset, solder the wires, and use double sided tape to hold them in.
Old Oct 2nd, 2005, 12:50 am

I'm not sure about the J&M mounting, but I saw a helmet at Sierra BMW once called Caberg. It appears to be widely available in Europe, but only just starting here. It has a flip face and sun visor like the Shuberth, but is much less expensive. I plan on trying one when I retire my Shuberth.

"One can never consent to creep when one feels an impulse to soar" - Helen Keller

2000 Canyon Red "Barcalounger" K1200LT
2003 F650GS
Old Oct 2nd, 2005, 7:51 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearmisses
I've been doing a bit od helmet shopping too and ran across a KBC with a com line coming out, It may also have been on the HRC site. Try them both, but was a 3/4 not full face.
Brian B
Ya better go try on helmets first, wow do the Full coverage helmets fit differently, the Shoie and Schuberth fit me pretty well, the Arai didn't fit at all, I tried on two different models.

I ended up with the schuberth concept because of price (they are on clearance about everywhere now) although a little noisy, I REALLY think the feature of being able to push the face shield out from the helmet a tad is GREAT, I've rode it in some heavy storms and it has not fogged up unlike my nolan or any other helmet I have ever had with a faceshield,

Tom

'07 GS Adv (mine), '06 GS <(My brides)
(the only bmw's in the stable)
Old Oct 2nd, 2005, 10:01 am

I thought the Caberg would be my next helmet as it has numerous features at a reasonable price. I was very impressed that it could convert to a 3/4 jet helmet. Two helmets in one.

However, I rode with one for about 20 minutes and found it was uncomfortable and no more quiet than my current flip helmet (Zeus 508). If you find the Caberg comfortable It could be a good helmet if you like to wear 3/4 at times and don't want to take two helmets on a trip.

I think I will keep the Zeus 508 and buy an HJC AC-3 and add the optional shield.
Old Oct 2nd, 2005, 10:54 am

Arrow Mono X2 / Caberg Justissimo

They are both the same helmet. I love them. Sure they are not perfect, but they are the best I've tried. They have gone Four Corner USA trip, Central America and numerious Butt Burners with me.

I'm buying a new one to take on my Arctic Ocean trip next summer.

By far the capacity to go from flip up to closed face is an awesome feature. I do it all the time in mid trip. It takes 2 minutes to do.

If it is not a satisfactory fit you can buy ear pads and liners to adjust the fit.
Old Oct 2nd, 2005, 11:57 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_R
The admins have given us a really cool site to play in with things like Farkles, Gadgets, and Gear Forum and Apparel Sub Forum. That way we're not jamming up the K1200LT forum with stuff that isn't really pertinent to the bike. It's just a thought.
Yep old-timer, your right...

This post should be moved to the correct forum. Sorry for the miss posting.

Justin Case
02 BMW K1200LTE
97 Kawasaki Concours
81 Honda Goldwing

Old Oct 2nd, 2005, 4:38 pm

Ya know a helmet i liked, ok would like to try is that roof flip up, the whole front completly went to the rear, I saw a fellow at TWO last year with one, I guess they do not import them to the us though.

Tom

Tom

'07 GS Adv (mine), '06 GS <(My brides)
(the only bmw's in the stable)
Old Oct 2nd, 2005, 6:39 pm
Old Dawg

I have a pair of the J&M / Arai combo and love 'em. I have the SZ/c as seen here:
http://www.jmcorp.com/Arai-Clampless.htm

Scott
Sacramento CA
HDDC Posse

''03 Ducati ST4S with ABS - '12 KTM 500EXC - '19 BMW GS/A
(Jessica Focker's) '15 BMW S1000RR - '17 KTM 350EXC-F - '09 Yamaha XT250

Some of the most asinine things people do are typically preceded by the two words "Watch this."
Old Oct 3rd, 2005, 1:26 am

For '05 K1200LT. Got 2 of the Schuberth 1's & had the BMW leade tech at out dealership install Beemer helmet speakers & boom mike. The Beemer/JM
headsets work great. The orginal Schuberth helmets while having a lot of features & are comfortable are "noisey". The "2" models are said to be much
quieter.
Old Oct 3rd, 2005, 12:09 pm

Switched from Nolan to full face

My wife and I both had Nolan flip face. The helmets were noisy. They also developed pressure points on the forehead on both helmets. I have a HUGE head and finding a fit was difficult. I though I was going to buy an Aria full face. I had tried Shoei in the past but always found them too narrow. My salesman said try the new Shoei full face. It had much less wind leakage to the ears and less turbulence from airflow in general. I was able to put the ear speakers in the cheek pads and fit the boom mike - no new headset system needed. Overall I am very happy.

My wife did not fit the Shoei and she went with the Aria. She finds the fit to be much more comfortable. I fit the speakers in her cheek pads too and fit the boom mike from the old system.

Fitting the new speakers and boom mikes took about 5 minutes - VERY EASY. I much prefer having less wind noise and helmet turbulence and I know that the full face give better protection.
Old Oct 3rd, 2005, 1:24 pm

Helmets

Where have you seen the Schuberts on clearance? And for how much?
Thanks, Joe
Old Oct 5th, 2005, 1:02 pm

i cannot reccommend sierra electronics enough! i drove up there and watched them in action. they sell several models of helmets and their core business is setting them up for MC communications. i went with the HJC flip face and the top J&M setup, saved a few $$$ and am very happy. They have an excellent website and ship all over the world. it's a family business and they do it right. warranty full for a year on all prods and service.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in