Speedo failure 1st - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Feb 14th, 2007, 11:23 pm Thread Starter

Speedo failure 1st

This is a first in the books as far as I can tell. No......not the speedo failure but the problem causing it. The speedo had begun to work intermittently for the past few months. While it was inop the cruise would also fail to set. About 3 weeks ago it failed completely without coming back to life so I decided to look into the problem.

After reading numerous posts of speedo sensor failure I thought that would be the best place to start. I replaced the sensor and no joy. So it seemed time to get serious and undressed her so I could get at the wiring and start checking for a false connection. I was able to borrow a wiring schematic from a fellow Texican and began the journey tracing the wiring from the sensor all the way to the speedo module. You would not in your wildest dreams imagine where all the wiring goes for the speedometer.

Well after following the wiring top to bottom, no bad connections were located. So I loaded her up and set up an appointment with the dealer for some more diagnostics. After 5.84 hours of the techs beating their heads to figure this one out, seems the speedo circuit board had failed.

New speedo $184.55
labor $496.40

Time to do the speedo mod again!

Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of the car window
Stephen Moore
02 K1200LTC Silver
02 Uni-go (skittles reborn)
1975 R75/6 Black Still running strong
BMWMOA# 122791
AMA# 711312
CCR 02,03,04,05,07,08,

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Feb 15th, 2007, 10:02 am

Sounds like a first to me..But I've only been around a couple of years..

Did you mod the original yourself ??

Just wondering if you got a trace too hot and the connection failed at that point..

Possibly could have fixed yourself if that was the case...Who knows for sure..

Kudos on the good try though...

Take Care,

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 Old Feb 15th, 2007, 11:25 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by bustedknuckles
This is a first in the books as far as I can tell. No......not the speedo failure but the problem causing it. The speedo had begun to work intermittently for the past few months. While it was inop the cruise would also fail to set. About 3 weeks ago it failed completely without coming back to life so I decided to look into the problem.

After reading numerous posts of speedo sensor failure I thought that would be the best place to start. I replaced the sensor and no joy. So it seemed time to get serious and undressed her so I could get at the wiring and start checking for a false connection. I was able to borrow a wiring schematic from a fellow Texican and began the journey tracing the wiring from the sensor all the way to the speedo module. You would not in your wildest dreams imagine where all the wiring goes for the speedometer.

Well after following the wiring top to bottom, no bad connections were located. So I loaded her up and set up an appointment with the dealer for some more diagnostics. After 5.84 hours of the techs beating their heads to figure this one out, seems the speedo circuit board had failed.

New speedo $184.55
labor $496.40

Time to do the speedo mod again!
Man that is strange. Mine did the same thing and per Mr. Shealy and others instructions - I found the problem exactly where they said it was, fixed it just as they said and have not had any problems with it since. Cost - about $3.00 in materials and half hour of my time - which is about another $3.00.

I have no idea how much money I have saved by reading information on the site.

Lee Nowell
Black 01, LTC
BMWRA & MOA, AMA, IBA

post #4 of 7 Old Feb 15th, 2007, 11:26 am
Bouncer

Hey, at least it wasn't the ABS control unit like they first thought. That would have been expensive!

Does that mean you can go on the summer trip?

'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue

"I am hoping for an asteroid impact to put all this climate change nonsense to bed."
-
post #5 of 7 Old Feb 15th, 2007, 12:13 pm

For some reason I pictured you sitting by a pool. Then the stitching just gave up on some fat guy wearing a slingshot for a bathing suit
Sorry, must be to many fumes from the welder.
Rock
post #6 of 7 Old Feb 15th, 2007, 8:42 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPSpen
Sounds like a first to me..But I've only been around a couple of years..

Did you mod the original yourself ??

Just wondering if you got a trace too hot and the connection failed at that point..

Possibly could have fixed yourself if that was the case...Who knows for sure..

Kudos on the good try though...

Take Care,

John
I had done the "speedo mod" myself, but it had been done for 3 years before the problem arose. I have done several others without any problem.

Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of the car window
Stephen Moore
02 K1200LTC Silver
02 Uni-go (skittles reborn)
1975 R75/6 Black Still running strong
BMWMOA# 122791
AMA# 711312
CCR 02,03,04,05,07,08,

post #7 of 7 Old Feb 15th, 2007, 9:17 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lnowell
Cost - about $3.00 in materials and half hour of my time - which is about another $3.00.
That much for your time eh?!

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in