How do you lock your bike? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 45 Old Feb 12th, 2007, 6:07 pm Thread Starter

How do you lock your bike?

I'm taking the summer off work and I'm planning some quality time with me and my LT. After checking into some interesting destinations, I'm concerned that I may have to hold up in some neighborhoods that...shall we say...have a high crime rate. I don't want to come out of the motel and see that someone has loaded my ride in the back of a pickup or trailer.

What would you guys suggest is the best way to secure the LT? I have a disk brake lock, but that won't stop a group of guys from picking her up into a pick up or trailer.

And on a side note...has anyone taken the Cape May/Lewes ferry with a bike? Do I need to bring tie downs? Thanks.

Dave
'06 K1200LT
'93 K1100LT (Hers)
AMA #956231
BMWMOA #130553

Last edited by dlbushey; Feb 12th, 2007 at 6:08 pm. Reason: 'cause I can't spell!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 Old Feb 12th, 2007, 6:33 pm
BMW Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlbushey
I'm taking the summer off work and I'm planning some quality time with me and my LT. After checking into some interesting destinations, I'm concerned that I may have to hold up in some neighborhoods that...shall we say...have a high crime rate. I don't want to come out of the motel and see that someone has loaded my ride in the back of a pickup or trailer.

What would you guys suggest is the best way to secure the LT? I have a disk brake lock, but that won't stop a group of guys from picking her up into a pick up or trailer.

And on a side note...has anyone taken the Cape May/Lewes ferry with a bike? Do I need to bring tie downs? Thanks.
I've never done any thing other than locking the bars/ignition. The chance of some one picking up an LT is slim to none...

2007 G650 X Challenge
2006 GT200
2005 R1200GS

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 45 Old Feb 12th, 2007, 6:49 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedhudson
I've never done any thing other than locking the bars/ignition. The chance of some one picking up an LT is slim to none...
That's what I thought about my buddie's Soft Tail. He had a padlock on the forks while were overnighting in Poughkeepsie 10 years ago. We got up in the morning, his bike was gone. Cops said the MO is that several guys just heave 'em up into the bed of a pick up and drive off. Doesn't take any time at all.

Dave
'06 K1200LT
'93 K1100LT (Hers)
AMA #956231
BMWMOA #130553

post #4 of 45 Old Feb 12th, 2007, 6:52 pm
BMW Guru

Quote:
That's what I thought about my buddie's Soft Tail. He had a padlock on the forks while were overnighting in Poughkeepsie 10 years ago. We got up in the morning, his bike was gone. Cops said the MO is that several guys just heave 'em up into the bed of a pick up and drive off. Doesn't take any time at all.
Well you could always buy a 15-20' cable lock. I have one for the dirt bikes.

LoJack does M/C's now...

http://www.lojack.com/products-servi...otorcycles.cfm

2007 G650 X Challenge
2006 GT200
2005 R1200GS

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 45 Old Feb 12th, 2007, 6:58 pm

Garage
Quote:

Generally I just lock the handlebars. I've never had a problem with anyone trying to steal a bike (LT, or other).
Ironically, vandalism , in rural communities, has been more of a problem for me than theft , or problems in bigger cities. I figure if I insure why worry and if I worry why insure?
post #6 of 45 Old Feb 12th, 2007, 7:09 pm

You can carry a chain or cable and lock, but then you always have to find something to lock it to. Just running the chain through the wheels won't keep a gang of guys from just picking the bike up, although it won't roll too well once they get it into the truck. As Ted said, you usually need 15 or 20 feet to make it to something really immobile.

Alarms are good, although they only work if someone who cares hears it go off. I've been in places where people just ignore alarms 'cuz there's always one going off somewhere. But if you can park your bike right outside your hotel room, an alarm can work.

Here's a really cheap alternative:
http://www.targus.com/us/product_details.asp?sku=PA400U
They're made for laptop computers and such. just loop the cable through the front wheel. If the cable is cut or the device is moved more than a millimeter, a 95 db alarm goes off. This would be plenty loud inside a building, but outside, you need to be close by to hear it. Just make sure the wind or other disturbance isn't going to set it off.

Lo-jack. At least you stand a chance of getting the bike back, if the theives didn't locate the unit and toss it in the river by the time you discover your bike is missing.

Have you considered a rottweiller that loves to ride?

If you look at the map and don't care where you are, you're not lost.

2000 K1200LT
1977 R75/7
1962 R60/2
post #7 of 45 Old Feb 12th, 2007, 7:33 pm

Wheelchair Accessible.

Just get a Wheelchair accessible room and pop the mirrors off the LT and park her inside !

Last year on the way back from CCR we stayed in West Memphis, AR at a Ramada Inn that didn't exactly tickle my fancy, We wound up taking everything off the bike and even put the trailer in the room with us...

Put on the Full Cover and she was still there the next day...

Maybe you should adjust your plans if possible to wind up in a more suitable area..

If someone wants to steal your bike, Chances are they will figure a way out to do it...

An alarm sounds like the best bet, Especially if you park your bike right outside your room...

When it goes off, Come out shootin'..

Good Luck

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

post #8 of 45 Old Feb 12th, 2007, 8:46 pm

I use a plastic sheathed cable, get at home depot. I only take it when I have my trailer.
Then when I'm off and riding, the trailer is locked to a tree or other object, cable ran through the spokes in the wheels with lock tucked away up underneath. I overnighted inside once with trailer and bike,(remember why but not her name ) I ran the cable through both wheels on the bike and trailer, around a pole.
Rock
post #9 of 45 Old Feb 12th, 2007, 10:11 pm

Bike Lock

I use a Squire SS65C padlock w/hardened chain if prudent for my anticipated itinerary. Have always found something to lock to. Made in England (squirelock.co.uk) and available in the US for something over half the cost in the UK (squireusacyclelocks.com). Heavy (20 lbs. w/6' chain), takes up 1/3 of a side case (RT), will withstand portable hydraulic cutters/torches and is as secure as you can get on the road when the bike is unattended and you can't be nearby. Do not ever lose the key (and don't ask). I ordered the lock/chain from Squire USA (a year ago) but had to order spare key blanks from England (local locksmiths couldn't find blanks in their catalogs).
post #10 of 45 Old Feb 12th, 2007, 10:31 pm

How do you lock your bike?

I'm just smart about where I park. Other than that, I don't worry about it.

From www.ncib.com:

1. California (9,110)
2. Florida (6,324)
3. Texas (5,755)
4. North Carolina (3,053)
5. Ohio (2,573)
6. Arizona (2,464)
7. New York (2,195)
8. Indiana (2,186)
9. Georgia (2,159)
10. Pennsylvania (2,021)

The complete list for 2005, as well as 2004, is available at www.nicb.org.

Nationally, 70,613 motorcycles were stolen in 2005 which is a slight decrease from the 71,108 stolen in 2004. This represents a loss of over $434 million to motorcycle owners and the insurance industry.

From the LoJack website:
Below are the top five stolen motorcycle makes:
1. Suzuki
2. Honda
3. Yamaha
4. Kawasaki
5. Harley-Davidson

Nobody seems to have information on numbers by brand.

The trend I notice is that if you worry about your bike getting stolen, it will happen. So don't worry about getting your BMW stolen.

Tim Barstow

2004 GSA Silver
2007 X Challenge
post #11 of 45 Old Feb 12th, 2007, 10:48 pm

Who wants to steal an LT?

[/quote] I'm concerned that I may have to hold up in some neighborhoods that...shall we say...have a high crime rate. I don't want to come out of the motel and see that someone has loaded my ride in the back of a pickup or trailer.

What would you guys suggest is the best way to secure the LT? I have a disk brake lock, but that won't stop a group of guys from picking her up into a pick up or trailer. Thanks.[/QUOTE]

I used to carry a cable lock for the rear wheel, but I now leave it at home. No kid wants to steal one of our plastic BMW trucks. The might want the GPS or XM or pop open the cases to see what they might find. I just carry a shortie cover to cover the radio area. They want Harleys where you can strip chrome and sell it!! (or something that is easy to ride).

On this site I only recall one LT in NYC that had an attempt to pry the ignition switch out to jump it. I just lock the front fork and park behind the building away from passing traffic. Not to worry.

"The idea is to die young as late as possible"

Barney Rubble (rider); Wilma Flintstone (pillion).
2000LTC CHAMPAGNE, Most prominent color at early CCR's
BMWMOA 89402
post #12 of 45 Old Feb 12th, 2007, 10:49 pm

Like some folks, I don't worry much about it. I think if I were travelin' solo and staying in a motel room and heard my alarm go off and there were 4 or 5 brawny guys pickin' ole Toad up to put in the back of a pickup, all I'm doin' is dialin' the phone! One thang that I do, however, assuming they were to find the spare key, or hot wire around the ignition switch, is leave ole Toad in reverse for the nite. No start in reverse.

Quote:

post #13 of 45 Old Feb 12th, 2007, 11:28 pm

Motorcycle Theft

Don't know how to keep the Lt from being stolen. On the other other had if you want the insurance for a new LT put a Harley Davidson cover on your bike and I bet the crooks will the LT with out even taking the cover off. Boy will the be surprised

Rusty Snyder
post #14 of 45 Old Feb 12th, 2007, 11:37 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
One thang that I do, however, assuming they were to find the spare key, or hot wire around the ignition switch, is leave ole Toad in reverse for the nite. No start in reverse.
Dick,
That IS a good idea; thanks for sharing that one!

Regards,
Curt
post #15 of 45 Old Feb 13th, 2007, 5:39 am

I take an old scruffy bike cover with me. Looks like only scrap would be under it. I attatch it underneath with a pocket panic alarm. If you dont know what you are doing, it will go off and deafen you. No one has ever shown interest enough to set the alarm off yet!

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect" Mark Twain

post #16 of 45 Old Feb 13th, 2007, 9:46 am Thread Starter

Wonder if I'll get a ticket for parking in Handicap zone?

Thanks for all the ideas guys.

About a year after my buddy's Soft tail was stolen, I had to ride from upstate New York to Lake Hurst NJ to take MSF IP. It was early April and raining, and I was on MY Soft tail with no weather protection. Long story short, when I stopped and got a room, I got a ground floor room and wheeled the bike inside with me.

I didn't think that was an option with the LT because of her girth, even with the mirrors off. But a wheelchair accessible room sounds like the ticket. With the mirrors off, she's only 36" wide, which I believe will fit through a wheelchair accessible door.

Dave
'06 K1200LT
'93 K1100LT (Hers)
AMA #956231
BMWMOA #130553
post #17 of 45 Old Feb 13th, 2007, 10:23 am
Rider Journeyman

Quote:
....I don't want to come out of the motel and see that someone has loaded my ride in the back of a pickup or trailer.

What would you guys suggest is the best way to secure the LT? I have a disk brake lock, but that won't stop a group of guys from picking her up into a pick up or trailer.....
I assume that your LT does not have a factory Alarm installed. A motion alarm, factory or after market, would certainly deter someone from spending too much time to snatch an LT.

A long cable lock so that you could wrap it around a post, or the like, would definitely slow down the would be thieves that don't carry bolt cutters.

A lot of motels are very willing to let you park the bike right in front of their entry point. Don't be afraid to ask for permission to park in a high visibility spot. I haven't found a hotel or motel that wasn't very cooperative about that.

I keep my LT covered when on the road... a Geza. It shows enough of the bike that it is clearly not a Harley, but hides enough that people don't see the farkles and be tempted.

PS: I am much more concerned about the bike being "tipped" or having a farkle or two stolen than having the whole bike taken. It seems "young hoodlums" like to tip motorcycles for fun....kind of like "cow tipping". Hence the priority on parking in front of the lobby and in view of the staff.

Bill "Omaha"

"Life may have begun at 44, but it didn't get thrilling until I shot past 100"

'04 K1200LT "Dieter" Titan Silver, FB 4/23/04
'06 K1200R "Wolfgang" White Aluminum Metallic, FB 6/7/05

RCB AMA, BMWMOA, Booze Brother "in training"
CCR: '04 Breckenridge CO, '05 Jackson Lake Lodge WY, '06 Chateau Elan GA, '08 Midway UT

post #18 of 45 Old Feb 13th, 2007, 10:27 am

I had a Harley stolen from me in Phoenix back in 1974, it's a long story but I'll try to keep it short Two of us on Harley's were traveling from Michigan to California, Otis was relocating in LA, I was along for the ride, when we developed a problem, I called around and found a local shop (The Parts Bin) that would lend us the tools and sell the parts (front sprocket), we worked on the bike until dark, they invited us to camp in the back and "party" with them, I only had "one" beer, when I woke around noon the next day my head felt like I drank a twelve pack and my bike was gone.

Turns out, we had stumbled upon a "club" known as the "Dirty Dozen" they were "offended" that I was traveling with a black biker and wanted to teach me "a lesson", they did,
don't ever trust someone that calls you "brother"

After that I never let my Harley(s) out of my sight and developed habits I still use today,
at restaurants, park where you can "see" the bike and "request" to be seated accordingly.
Ride a "loop" around the motel if it is at all questionable, (see what the back looks like)
accept only ground floor rooms that you can park in front of and if possible open the window a crack.
With the LT I only use the fork lock and alarm set, the "Sig" under my pillow.
A lot of it is "gut" instinct" if I don't feel comfortable I won't stay,
because I know I won't get any sleep anyway.

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

Last edited by SilverBuffalo; Feb 13th, 2007 at 10:35 am.
post #19 of 45 Old Feb 13th, 2007, 10:35 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
One thang that I do, however, assuming they were to find the spare key, or hot wire around the ignition switch, is leave ole Toad in reverse for the nite. No start in reverse.
Oooh, I'll have to try this on the LT. The GL1800 has a switch to engage reverse as opposed to the lever on the LT and GL1500. On the new Wing, without the key on, there was NO way to disengage reverse, and when it was engaged and the engine off, the bike does NOT roll.

This is better than leaving it in gear since you can usually get the bike in neutral with the engine off.

2000 K1200LT
1977 R75/7
1962 R60/2
post #20 of 45 Old Feb 13th, 2007, 11:38 am

With many Hotels having inside room access, I have parked my LT under the covered entrance at the lobby. There is usually cameras and a desk clerk all night. Haven't lost a nights sleep yet and the "Beerburner" is always there in the am. I have checked out and start loading the bike to have someone waiting for me to ask about the LT.

NOGILLS2

Booze Brother# 69
2003 K1200LTE "BEERBURNER" RIP 07/21/09
2006 Aluma Trailer "AFTERBURNER" SOLD
2007 ST1300ABS "Quicksilver"

post #21 of 45 Old Feb 13th, 2007, 12:05 pm

Another trick is to park keeping the horn button pressed using a tooth pick or similar.

If the bike is tampered with and the juice reaches the circuit the horn goes off.

Will remember the reverse one as well.
post #22 of 45 Old Feb 13th, 2007, 1:18 pm

I use disk lock and alarm integrated into one.

Matt Kas

13 Triumph Trophy SE Lunar Silver
12 Suzuki Burgman 650 Executive Pearl White

Laguna Niguel, Southern California (South Orange County)
"Riding Year around"

post #23 of 45 Old Feb 13th, 2007, 1:34 pm

If at all possible, I park near a Harley. There's a lot more demand for HD parts than there is for BMW stuff. Most bikes get stolen either for joyrides (usually the crotch rockets) or to be stripped and resold at swap meets (usually HDs). No guarantee they won't mess with it, especially if you leave tempting goodies in plain sight.

I know a lot of motels frown on the practice of bringing the bike into the room. Something about fire laws, and having gasoline in the room. Plus, there's always the possibility of a fluid leak ruining a carpet. I'd ask that question at the front desk before I started worrying about if the LT will clear the doorframe.

I just lock the fork, install a disc lock, leave the bike in reverse, and toss a generic bike cover over it. I try to park right outside my room, and always ask for a ground floor room. Oh, remove the GPS and the RAM mount for the phone and MP3, too.

Beautify America - Get a Tattoo!
2002 K1200LT (going, going, GONE)
post #24 of 45 Old Feb 13th, 2007, 1:40 pm

Traveling bike security

I remember my first long trip on a HD
my well seasoned riding buddy
rolled over and went to sleep as I paced the floor all night and
"watched" the bikes ............. after about the third night I was so
exhausted from my "security" duty I slept all night long without worrying about the bikes..
so here are some tips that work for me.

1) Take a rookie with you to "watch" the bikes
2) ground floor see the bikes out the window
3) make sure insurance is paid up
4) Glock on the nightstand
5) Sleep like a baby.

Ridesalot

2005 LT "The grey one with the bugs on it."
post #25 of 45 Old Feb 13th, 2007, 1:46 pm

You could just put a honda cover on it.
Rock
post #26 of 45 Old Feb 13th, 2007, 2:20 pm

seriously, how many guys would it take to dead-lift an LT? and not just off the ground, but up to the height of a pick-up bed? ramp wouldn't be much easier because the handlebars and rear wheel are locked. any respectable truck will have the tailgate at least waist high. before you lift it that high above you, I'd guess it'd be more likely that it would fall over on top of one of the guys rather than actually reach the bed. a trailer would be a much easier means to snatch an LT with than a pickup...

I used to have a cable lock for back wheel. now just set the alarm when leaving it for a long time. so far, I'm the only person to set the damn thing off when I stick the key in the ignition. always worry about setting it, never remember to deactivate probably more trouble to worry about it getting stolen (at least in my neck of the woods - Harleytown, USA)
post #27 of 45 Old Feb 13th, 2007, 2:41 pm

I may be mistaken but I believe that most motor vehicles are stolen for parts. So lets think about it. Hondas (cars) and Toyotas are targets because there is such a huge market for parts, body and otherwise. Some Chrysler autos were theft targets, not because anyone wants them but, because they were so easy to steal that they were perfect for the joy rider.

Crotch rockets, i.e. Suzuki, Kawasaki, Honda are needed for body parts and engines to replace the damage they suffer at the hands of Squids. Harleys are similar to the car scenario; there are just so damn many of them there is a market for parts for repair and customizing.

Now lets consider BMW's and the K1200LT. This is really a small market. Most people don't even know where the closest dealer is located. Are there really alot of them out there? Does anyone want to take them for a joyride? Do you think, given the small numbers, that there is a viable black market for used parts? Would it be worth your time as a thief to steal, strip and sell the parts?

I say, insure it, lock the forks and ignore it.

Worry about something else like ....... vandalism.

Bob Chapman
Virginia
2000 K12LT
1978 CB750A (Automatic Cafe Racer Ratbike)
post #28 of 45 Old Feb 13th, 2007, 3:06 pm

I use a Xena alarmed disk lock on the front wheel, and a strong cable through the back wheel, plus I lock the bars.

Do like the idea about leaving the bike in reverse, now thats smart thinking.

Rgds
Mike

"For those that know, no explanation is needed,
For those that don't, no explanation is possible."

2001 K12 LT Toscana Green AKA Baby Sh*t Green
Kawasaki EN500 - been sold on!
Hardtail Chopper ( Honda CB 500 engine) in a box still!
post #29 of 45 Old Feb 13th, 2007, 3:20 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob204bc

I say, insure it, lock the forks and ignore it.

Worry about something else like ....... vandalism.
Thats all I do, - if someone really wants it, theyll have it - , ... but, no one wants BM's

• 2005 LT - 17 countries, 2 CONTINENTS & counting !
  • MB SLK 350 MT
  • 1974 Triumph Bonneville 750

post #30 of 45 Old Feb 13th, 2007, 4:03 pm

I travel quite often in countries which have a slogan for attracting tourists:
"Welcome to X, your car is here already!"

I use the following procedures:
* steering lock
* disc lock with alarm siren
* bikes own alarm system activated
* my bike-mounted GSM alarm activated (here is more about it

http://www.bmwlt.net/ubbthreads/show...e=&view=&sb=&o=

plus I remove the navigator and tank bag for overnight.

I park the bike in such way that I can see it from the hotel window or if it is not possible I park it next to the hotel main entrance right in front of the eyes of the front desk clerk.

So far I have rushed downstairs from 19th floor of a hotel in Riga only once when my bike called. The reason was somebody parked his bicycle too close and it hit my sidecase...That time I did not need the baseball bat.

I also have the Geza half cover but I have used it only twice when parking on a guarded parking lot. ("Guarded" does not always mean secure in every country...)

Putting the bike in reverse and removing the knob would really cause headache to a sudden bike thief! (If such would decide to steal the LT...)

Regards

Ari "the Farkle-Freak-Finn" Ignatius

Hyvinkää, Finland
2004 ('05) LT, Dark Graphite, "Sunset Cruiser II"

Bike trip from Finland to USA:

Pictures of various farkle projects:

post #31 of 45 Old Feb 13th, 2007, 4:12 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by pozo_izquierdo
I Putting the bike in reverse and removing the knob ...
Now *that's* a great idea!

2000 K1200LT
1977 R75/7
1962 R60/2
post #32 of 45 Old Feb 13th, 2007, 4:25 pm

Bike Thief 1: Hey, Jack, looky there. There's a bike over there in that motel parkin' lot. Let's go lift it.

Bike Thief 2: Yeah... slow down.... Hey, what kinda bike izzat?

BT1: I donno. It ain't no Hawg. Ain't no Ninjer. Kinda like a Gol' Wang...

BT2: Yeah, kinda like a Wang, but looks nicer. Hey, get up closer... it's... huh... it's got a BMDubya logo on it. I din't know Beeyem Dubya makes bikes. Did you?

BT1: Uhhhh.... no, but we got some bux for that 325 we stoled last year. Mebbe we should just take it and find out what we can git.

BT2: Hey, sure. I ain't never stole a Beeyem Dubya bike before. It'd be like a first for me.

BT1: Heh, heh... yeah. Hey, looky this dash. It looks like the #$%^#@* space shuttle. Whaddaya s'poze all this stuff does? Hey, this thang here sez "dialin' owner's cell phone..."

(Sound of footsteps approaching and periodic "smack" of a baseball bat hitting the palm of one hand...)

2000 K1200LT
1977 R75/7
1962 R60/2

Last edited by juggler; Feb 13th, 2007 at 4:48 pm.
post #33 of 45 Old Feb 13th, 2007, 4:44 pm

Talking Who would steal a BMW LT?

Come on guys! Nobody's gonna steal an LT.
Here's why:
1. They couldn't find a buyer for it because all of us know who owns which bike and it would be spotted in a second!
2. They wouldn't be able to afford the service work.
3. When they tipped it over they wouldn't be able to pick it up unless they hads three guys.
4. They wouldn't dismantle it for parts... lets face it...without the service manual we can't even get the parts off!
5. Theives like bikes with loud pipes...that lets the LT out.
and last but not least....
6. They wouldn't be able to figure out how to put gas in the tank. They would look in the "oddment box" and say " hey someone's already stolen the gas cap! DUH!! Ha!Ha! Ron Ray
post #34 of 45 Old Feb 13th, 2007, 6:50 pm

IMO the theft of an LT is unlikely. Considering the pitiful resale values of LTs; these machines are worth more dead than alive.
I seldom remove the ignition key , even when on the road and never had a problem.

Last edited by Oisin; Feb 13th, 2007 at 8:47 pm.
post #35 of 45 Old Feb 13th, 2007, 6:57 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oisin
I seldom remove the ignition key , even when on the road and never had a problem.
And where do you ride?

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2019 K1600b Grand America, Blue Max.
post #36 of 45 Old Feb 13th, 2007, 7:52 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjhammetter
seriously, how many guys would it take to dead-lift an LT? and not just off the ground, but up to the height of a pick-up bed?
Heard tell of a group that uses the equivalent of a mobile butcher/slaughter house. They have a gantry type set-up and slings to lift and pull the bike right into a rented delivery truck.

Sam
post #37 of 45 Old Feb 13th, 2007, 8:06 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
these machines are worth more dead than alive.
Exactly. Ever try to find used parts for your LT? Swipe the bike and sell the parts. Worth it's weight in gold.

Dave
'06 K1200LT
'93 K1100LT (Hers)
AMA #956231
BMWMOA #130553
post #38 of 45 Old Feb 14th, 2007, 9:54 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwnahas
And where do you ride?
I'm curious as well..............

Bob Chapman
Virginia
2000 K12LT
1978 CB750A (Automatic Cafe Racer Ratbike)
post #39 of 45 Old Feb 14th, 2007, 11:24 am

Quote:
... I seldom remove the ignition key , even when on the road and never had a problem.

Just a question ... if you ever had an insurance claim for theft, how would that sit with the adjuster ??? I certainly would question your luck holding out for long in the future ... but, it sounds like the BMW gods have smiled on you favorably so far ...
post #40 of 45 Old Feb 15th, 2007, 8:52 am

This is quite interesting.

http://www.cats-eye.net/
post #41 of 45 Old Feb 15th, 2007, 12:59 pm

More of the same

http://www.quiktrak.com.au/
post #42 of 45 Old Feb 15th, 2007, 1:17 pm

Red face I hope we are not tempting fate here!

I too have worries when touring about how secure the LT is, I know its insured but what a complete ball ache being hundreds of miles away from home without any transport in the middle of a holiday, eventually getting home then having to wait for the insurance company. Not to mention any personal items left on the bike overnight. I always try to park the bike as close to my hotel room as possible with a big chain through the back wheel with the lock off the ground. If there is a suitabl epost I will loop it through the front and around the post again trying to keep the lock clear of the floor. Worked ok so far, I hope I don't end up regretting saying that.
post #43 of 45 Old Feb 16th, 2007, 4:28 pm

Smart thieves would use dollies

Hmmm... if I was going to steal an LT, I surely wouldn't be trying to lift it into a pickup truck. I'd get two inexpensive low-profile dollies (like this, or even cheaper via Home Depot or Lowes). Throw one under the rear wheel (when bike is on the center stand), then rock bike back and put another one under the front. I might need a coupla guys to help, but now the bike is going up a ramp onto my trailer, regardless of any fork lock or reverse lock, etc. Only thing that would slow me down is Ari's cell phone alarm or a chain like what hendsv recommended. If I was really serious about it, I might customize some dollies for quick-attach and a little more directional control.

Dave

'03 K1200LT-C Dark Graphite
'96 Triumph Sprint 900 British Racing Green (traded)
'95 Yamaha Virago 750 Pearl/Black (sold)
post #44 of 45 Old Feb 16th, 2007, 7:03 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedhudson
What everyone else had said here... and two words... "bumper sticker"...

Nothing tacky... I just happen to like the small NRA membership sticker...

Always wondered why GLOCK / S&W / COLT never made small, yet visible stickers you could place in locations that might deter ignorant sticky-fingered meat sacks...

Uncle Mark

BMW '06' 1200LT "Wild Blue"

BMWMOA Member #127457
Honda CX500 Custom - RIP '00'

"An intelligence agency that FEARS intelligence? Historically, not awesome." . . . From what movie?

post #45 of 45 Old Feb 16th, 2007, 9:25 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwnahas
And where do you ride?
Mostly in the U.S. but I have been through most of Canada as well. I prefer the southwest for touring and sightseeing, however west coast cities do not impress me like the older east coast urban areas. In essence, I usually camp when out west and hotel it in big cities when out east.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in