Stiff throttle - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Feb 10th, 2007, 4:02 pm Thread Starter

Stiff throttle

New to the site, i love it. i bought a 2002 k1200 lt with in the last couple months with a stiff throttle.i though it was no big deal.after reading some forums on the subject,i am undecided if i want to do the job myself. i bought all the replacement parts for $150 (ouch),now the dealer wants $400 to do the job.is it as easy as some people say or as hard as other say. i can always take things apart with no problem,it is putting back together that is the problem. can i end up doing some real damage here or am i getting worried for no reason?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Feb 10th, 2007, 4:33 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikster
New to the site, i love it. i bought a 2002 k1200 lt with in the last couple months with a stiff throttle.i though it was no big deal.after reading some forums on the subject,i am undecided if i want to do the job myself. i bought all the replacement parts for $150 (ouch),now the dealer wants $400 to do the job.is it as easy as some people say or as hard as other say. i can always take things apart with no problem,it is putting back together that is the problem. can i end up doing some real damage here or am i getting worried for no reason?
Hi, Mike - welcome to the site. Glad to have ya aboard here.

Down at the bottom of your post are several 'similar threads' with the same topic as yours. In addition to the others, the one started by John Rehder is very good. He takes you thru his procedure and then there is discussion by others involving work arounds or tips to make some aspects easier.

Several folks here in the family have done the cable replacement with just a leetle hand-wringing during the process, butt with excellent results in the final finish. Others, like myself, had the dealer do it (under a recall warranty service for me) and are likewise pleased with the performance of the new cable and it's slightly better routing path.

You might consider this; Rehder holds a tech session at his place up near Hotlanta a few times a year and if you find when the next one is gonna be, maybe you could attend and let John look over your shoulder while you do the cable deed. Just a suggestion (hey John, sock it to me if I've over-spoke!!! ).

Good luck, Mike. And congrats on the new-to-you '02; ride safe.
post #3 of 12 Old Feb 10th, 2007, 4:59 pm

I too have an '02, & have replaced the cables myself. It's not an "easy", as in the gas cap mod, job but it's doable. Mine took a couple of days from removal of the tupperware, to replacing the cables, to adjusting & getting the cruise right, to reinstalling the tupperware. Of course I wasn't in any hurry.

I found that a pair of long nosed pliers with a bend in the end made access to the bell crank for the cables easier. I didn't remove the air box or the fuel rail, so it became a little like laparoscopic surgery. Take your time, have some patients, & ping if you need assistance. I'm in Ormond Beach............

post #4 of 12 Old Feb 10th, 2007, 7:23 pm

Thumbs up

Mike as Dick said there is alot of help if you get stuck ask. I have done this mod and it did reduce the resistance. But I was not satisfied. If you want additional reduction of the resistance I have found 2 things you can do.
First make sure the breather hose is not binding against the throttle rail.
Second and I feel this is the main cause of the problem. The return springs are over kill . I will post 2 pictures of the spring I relaxed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fuel cell-- Throttle Cabel - Rail 028.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	321.0 KB
ID:	9897   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fuel cell-- Throttle Cabel - Rail 029.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	318.4 KB
ID:	9898  

Pete Murray
IBA # 359 and
2014 RT
1973 R75/5
2002 LT 171 K Gone
2008 FJR 36 K Gone
Stroudsburg, PA
post #5 of 12 Old Feb 10th, 2007, 7:26 pm

Edit

Quote:
Originally Posted by murray
Mike as Dick said there is alot of help if you get stuck ask. I have done this mod and it did reduce the resistance. But I was not satisfied. If you want additional reduction of the resistance I have found 2 things you can do.
First make sure the breather hose is not binding against the throttle rail.
Second and I feel this is the main cause of the problem. The return springs are over kill . I will post 2 pictures of the spring I relaxed.
Mike the side view of the springs. Note the spring is in the relaxed position. The stock position was at three oclock.

Pete Murray
IBA # 359 and
2014 RT
1973 R75/5
2002 LT 171 K Gone
2008 FJR 36 K Gone
Stroudsburg, PA
post #6 of 12 Old Feb 11th, 2007, 4:51 pm

Pete, I'm confused by your picture and description. If I'm looking at it correctly, the spring is in the 12-o'clock position. In the 3-o'clock position, what does part of the lever does the spring push against?

Most important - did you noticeably reduce the throttle effort?

Don Ferrario
2004 K1200LT
2002 ST1100A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 12 Old Feb 11th, 2007, 5:18 pm

Stiff throttle

The other problem with the old style throttle cables is that due to the cable routing at the grip, you'll eventually break the cable at the grip end. When this happens, you'll be 200 miles from anywhere. Trying to ride with one hand on the left handlebar and the other pulling on a set of vise grips attached to the remaining throttle cable is not something I recommend.

Just my $.02.

Tim Barstow

2004 GSA Silver
2007 X Challenge
post #8 of 12 Old Feb 11th, 2007, 6:35 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbarstow
The other problem with the old style throttle cables is that due to the cable routing at the grip, you'll eventually break the cable at the grip end. When this happens, you'll be 200 miles from anywhere. Trying to ride with one hand on the left handlebar and the other pulling on a set of vise grips attached to the remaining throttle cable is not something I recommend.

Just my $.02.
I have an '02 with 50k on the clock. The cables are NOT stiff and have never been changed.

So, my question is: Do only STIFF LT cables break or do ALL LT cables break?!

Who has had NONE stiff cables fail...and at what mileage?

I've had airhead cables last 10 - 15 years.

J. Averill Townsend
Bloomfield Hills, MI

IBA# 24374

2002 K1200LTC - Silver
1978 R100/7 - Very, very Black
2004 Bushtec Quantum - Silver, of course...(SOLD)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 12 Old Feb 11th, 2007, 6:42 pm

Smile Not at all...

Dick, thanks for braggin on me! The cables are not too hard; justs takes a little extra time. But I know after doing it on my own bike the next bike will be a lot quicker. Learnig curve helps in a lot of things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
Hi, Mike - welcome to the site. Glad to have ya aboard here.

Down at the bottom of your post are several 'similar threads' with the same topic as yours. In addition to the others, the one started by John Rehder is very good. He takes you thru his procedure and then there is discussion by others involving work arounds or tips to make some aspects easier.

Several folks here in the family have done the cable replacement with just a leetle hand-wringing during the process, butt with excellent results in the final finish. Others, like myself, had the dealer do it (under a recall warranty service for me) and are likewise pleased with the performance of the new cable and it's slightly better routing path.

You might consider this; Rehder holds a tech session at his place up near Hotlanta a few times a year and if you find when the next one is gonna be, maybe you could attend and let John look over your shoulder while you do the cable deed. Just a suggestion (hey John, sock it to me if I've over-spoke!!! ).

Good luck, Mike. And congrats on the new-to-you '02; ride safe.

looking around for a possible replacement

2001 K1200 LTC Mauve (Hi-Way Star) may she rest in peace!

CCR'2001 Hotsprings, AR., Sante Fe, NM., Gatlinberg, TN.
Breckinridge, CO., Grand Teton Nat. Prk, WY.
Chateau Elan, GA., Tan-a-Tar-A missed it!
post #10 of 12 Old Feb 11th, 2007, 7:45 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarSalesman
Pete, I'm confused by your picture and description. If I'm looking at it correctly, the spring is in the 12-o'clock position. In the 3-o'clock position, what does part of the lever does the spring push against?

Most important - did you noticeably reduce the throttle effort?
Don , Let me try to clarify this. When viewing the throttle rail from the side in my picture the spring is in the relaxed position. The stock position actually places the hook on the spring at 5 o'clock. Note when viewing the side picture the throttle rail rotates clockwise.
Changing the spring placement greatly reduced throttle effort.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fuel cell-- Throttle Cabel - Rail 029.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	318.4 KB
ID:	9931   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fuel cell-- Throttle Cabel - Rail 030.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	323.3 KB
ID:	9932  

Pete Murray
IBA # 359 and
2014 RT
1973 R75/5
2002 LT 171 K Gone
2008 FJR 36 K Gone
Stroudsburg, PA
post #11 of 12 Old Feb 14th, 2007, 8:19 pm

Tech session at Rehder's huh? I been trying to get him to schedule one so we can check the buckets on the LT. This new wife thing is killing me.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #12 of 12 Old Feb 14th, 2007, 10:12 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_R
Tech session at Rehder's huh? I been trying to get him to schedule one so we can check the buckets on the LT. This new wife thing is killing me.
Trust me. . . it's not killing you half as bad as ticking her off so bad that she leaves.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

-----------------------------------------------

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in