Cruise control option? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old Feb 9th, 2007, 10:29 pm Thread Starter

Cruise control option?

I picked-up the '99 LT last night and could not get the cruise control to engage. When the CC button is slid to the right, the red light is illuminated but CC does not engage. Read the owner's manual and discovered the "yellow" light on the dash board should illuminate; dash light on my bike does not illuminate when "set" is depressed.

Other than checking the fuse for the CC, could it be the CC was not installed on this particular bike? Any way to tell?

Thanks,
Curt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old Feb 9th, 2007, 10:34 pm
BMW Guru

you probably have a bad sensor on the throttle or brake lever/pedal...

2007 G650 X Challenge
2006 GT200
2005 R1200GS

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 Old Feb 9th, 2007, 10:48 pm

CC cable

This past summer I had the cruise control cable between the cruise control unit and the throttle body break. All indications were normal, but it obviously would not engage.

Bob Schrader
Wentzville, Mo.
'00LTC

post #4 of 15 Old Feb 9th, 2007, 11:39 pm

When I first tried using mine I had trouble, I was riding the rear brake. Doesn't take much pressure to shut off the cruse....
Glenn
post #5 of 15 Old Feb 10th, 2007, 3:13 am
Super Moderator

Just a quick note

There are three swithces that disengage the cruise for safety purposes. These switches if not properly adjusted will also not allow the cruise to be set or can become flakey in operation - toggle off and on. And I find on occassion that some bikes just after a drop alters the condition and adjustment of these switches and then the cruise does not work - bummer.

So where are these switches:

1. One on the front brake hand lever under the plastic
2. One on the rear brake foot lever behind the metal cover
3. One on the clutch lever - not sure of exaxt location as i am out of town and cannot verify

The adjustment and condition of these switches are the root cause for a majoriy of the cruise controls not engaging . . .

So now start the process of sleuthing . . .

Dan Finazzo
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted to get"
post #6 of 15 Old Feb 10th, 2007, 10:21 am

Hello Curt,
I had one heck of a time with the CC on my 2000 after changing the throttle cables due to stiff action. This diagnostic procedure helped alot. and was provided by a member of this fourm, what a great place with great people.

This procedure must be done exactly as follows while you monitor the SET light on the instrument cluster:

1: With the ignition switch OFF,switch on the cruise control. Press and hold the cruise control switch to the SET position and switch on the ignition switch(LIGHT)

2: Release the SET button (LIGHT GOES OFF),move the switch to the RESET position(LIGHT)

3: Release the button(LIGHT OFF)switch OFF the cruise control switch(LIGHT)

4: Switch the cruise contol back on(LIGHT OFF)

5: Rotate the throttle against the throttle stop(LIGHT ON),Release the Throttle(LIGHT OFF)

6: Pull the clutch lever(LIGHT), release the clutch lever(LIGHT OFF)

Note: The throttle and the clutch switches are on the same input to the cruise conrol module,so if one of these is stuck in the ON position, the other will show no action. So if you get no indication for the throttle switch, do not assume it is at fault,it could be a stuck clutch switch.

7: Pull the front brake lever(LIGHT), release the lever(LIGHT OFF)

8: Push the foot brake pedal(LIGHT ON), hold for 5 seconds(LIGHT OFF),release the foot brke pedal(LIGHT ON)

Note: both brake switches are on the same input to the controller, so again if one is stuck on, neither will show on the test.

9: Rotate the rear whee(LIGHT SHOULD GO OFF/ON)

10: Switch off the ignition.

Good luck in getting this sorted out. hope this helps there are quite a few items that will stop the CC operation.

Denny
post #7 of 15 Old Feb 10th, 2007, 3:45 pm Thread Starter

Thanks, all, for the assist. I'll begin the diagnosis this next week and report back with the results.

Regards,
Curt
post #8 of 15 Old Feb 11th, 2007, 7:18 pm Thread Starter

I'm "set"

Got home today, read the diagnostic (thanks, longtmrdr), and ensured each (clutch, hand/foot brake) lever would move both directions. The clutch lever was the first to get "moved"; "set" light came on. Checked the two other levers, checked on the road, works 4.0!

Thanks,
Curt
post #9 of 15 Old Feb 11th, 2007, 7:46 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfinazzo
There are three swithces that disengage the cruise for safety purposes. These switches if not properly adjusted will also not allow the cruise to be set or can become flakey in operation - toggle off and on. And I find on occassion that some bikes just after a drop alters the condition and adjustment of these switches and then the cruise does not work - bummer.

So where are these switches:

1. One on the front brake hand lever under the plastic
2. One on the rear brake foot lever behind the metal cover
3. One on the clutch lever - not sure of exaxt location as i am out of town and cannot verify----------------
Also one that is often the cause, on the throttle rail. It is the one that the closing throttle cable actuates when the throttle is closed. If the cable is not routed properly, or rubbing against the wiring harness along the fuel rail, it's spring will not be able to push the cable housing back out and release the switch.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #10 of 15 Old Feb 12th, 2007, 8:13 am

Howdy all..

Suffering from a similar problem immediately after a service, I went back to the workshop and consulted the mechanic. He explained that it is **MOST** important that the throttle cables are routed and secured **EXACTLY** as specified by BMW, else the cruise just won't work reliably.

Having said that, he sheepishly admitted that he had forgotten to remove a cable tie that he had put in place temporarily when working on something else under the plastic. Two minutes to remove tupperware, two seconds to remove surplus cable tie, and the cruise control was back in action.

As a footnote - the cruise diagnostics routine that is set down in this post is only useful if there is an electronic / electrical issue. Mechanical issues such as cable interference / misalignment *MAY* not show up as a fault in this routine.

Happy trails
Chris Paine
Carool NSW Australia
post #11 of 15 Old Feb 12th, 2007, 9:55 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaine
Two minutes to remove tupperware...
I would have liked to see that. It took four of us the better part of an hour.

If you look at the map and don't care where you are, you're not lost.

2000 K1200LT
1977 R75/7
1962 R60/2
post #12 of 15 Old Feb 12th, 2007, 3:29 pm

Cool

Actually, if you don't have J-pegs, or lights, etc. installed on the Tip-Over bars, it can be very quick for an experienced individual with a power driver! Now 2 minutes might be pushing it a little, but certainly within 15 min. All that needs to be removed is the left side panel along with accompanying mirror and wind wing.

John
Quote:
Originally Posted by juggler
I would have liked to see that. It took four of us the better part of an hour.

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
'12 Triumph 800XC "Tigger II" (RIP)
'12 Triumph 1200 Explorer "Shadow Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

post #13 of 15 Old Feb 12th, 2007, 4:06 pm

In that case I can only assume that I slowed down the rest of the team.

The next time we have a Tech Day, I think anyone who shows up without a power driver and appropriate torx bits will be told to sit in the corner with their hands in their lap.

If you look at the map and don't care where you are, you're not lost.

2000 K1200LT
1977 R75/7
1962 R60/2
post #14 of 15 Old Feb 18th, 2007, 9:07 pm Thread Starter

Cruise works only after running diagnostic

Weird! Cruise did not work; got forum feedback, worked switches in the clutch and both brakes, took for a ride and voila! Worked fine. Tried it 2 days later, no workie; saw the diagnostic reply and tried it, worked fine. Rode the next day, worked fine.

On my trip yesterday, it ran fine (ran the diags the night before, fooling around) until I stopped for lunch. Came back out, didn't work. Stopped at the hotel, checked in, ran the diags, worked fine. Same thing today coming back; after the key is turned off, the diags has to be run for the CC to work.

Any ideas ?
post #15 of 15 Old Feb 18th, 2007, 10:49 pm

That is weird....Maybe one of the switches is sticking. Also if your not already doing it try turning the main cruise switch off before you shut the bike down. This should'nt matter if the cruise was working normal but yours is kind of doing it's own thing.

If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans

Jerry P. Hatley

2007 R1200RT (Betty Lou)
2009 Harley Roadglide (sold)
2007 Goldwing (sold)
1999 BMW K1200LT (sold)
2004 Harley Ultra Classic (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra Classic (sold)
1998 Harley Roadking Classic (sold)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in