Oh boy.... now the L.E.D. is a mess!! - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 Old Feb 9th, 2007, 3:22 pm Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 826
Unhappy Oh boy.... now the L.E.D. is a mess!!

Just attempted to clean the sound system stingray LED screen with denatured alcohol. I think it ate into the surface of the acrylic screen. It now needs to be "resurfaced" somehow. Clearcoat scratch remover and a small dremel buffing wheel have failed. Suggestions appreciated.
hoodoodrum is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 30 Old Feb 9th, 2007, 4:22 pm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 14,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodoodrum
Just attempted to clean the sound system stingray LED screen with denatured alcohol. I think it ate into the surface of the acrylic screen. It now needs to be "resurfaced" somehow. Clearcoat scratch remover and a small dremel buffing wheel have failed. Suggestions appreciated.
No gaurantee, butt since it's buggered, try some WD-40. Rub 'til you start cussin', then take a rest; bring the SO's hairdryer out and work it back and forth across the screen a few times just to evaporate any residue. Like I said, no gaurantee, butt it works for me. YMMV.

(And you're sure you used de-natured alcohol? Yeah, I know; you prolly did, butt just make sure it's fresh, de-natured. I had to get mine from a pharmicist AFTER I rubbed the other kind on a cage radio display that curdled!).
Dick is offline  
post #3 of 30 Old Feb 9th, 2007, 4:42 pm Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 826
Dick,

It was definately denatured alcohol. I bought mine at the hardware and it said on the back...."excellent mild cleaner/solvent". At the moment, I am using some very mild rubbing compound on the dremel buffer tip. It's getting there, but Oh what a PITA!!! If it doesn't work, I'll go for the WD-40.
hoodoodrum is offline  
 
post #4 of 30 Old Feb 9th, 2007, 4:51 pm
Senior Member
 
motorman587's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: , FL, USA
Posts: 2,910
I did that to mine, screwed it up, but found the post here on this site and took the tips for others and cleared right up.
motorman587 is offline  
post #5 of 30 Old Feb 9th, 2007, 5:42 pm Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 826
Crap, crap, crap,....... Now I have to look at that mess until the radio goes and I pull the stingray again to get at the plastic lens display. I wonder if the lens is an actual part. I can't locate it on the fiche or service manual.
hoodoodrum is offline  
post #6 of 30 Old Feb 9th, 2007, 5:49 pm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Savannah, GA, USA
Posts: 1,893
Try MicroMesh. If you are interested I might still have some around.
Morley is offline  
post #7 of 30 Old Feb 9th, 2007, 6:26 pm
Senior Member
 
harrowbmw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Adelaide, South Australia, Australia
Posts: 329
Greetings.

What a bummer. I bet your heart stopped as you watched that little screen mist over hey!

Don't freak.

Get yourself a small piece of rag, some good quality auto polish, not cut and polish though, wrap the rag around your finger with a small dollop of the polish on it and work the polish in using a small round circular motion until all is clear again. Be careful not the smear the polish on the black surrounding area of your little screen. No big deal if you do, the polish cleans off easy. This works a treat.

Let me know how you go.

Good luck and kindest regards.

Paul Harrington
AU

[email protected]

1999 K1200LT Champagne "Bismarck"
1983 base K100 "Bavarian Belle"
harrowbmw is offline  
post #8 of 30 Old Feb 9th, 2007, 11:20 pm Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 826
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrowbmw
Greetings.

What a bummer. I bet your heart stopped as you watched that little screen mist over hey!

Don't freak.

Get yourself a small piece of rag, some good quality auto polish, not cut and polish though, wrap the rag around your finger with a small dollop of the polish on it and work the polish in using a small round circular motion until all is clear again. Be careful not the smear the polish on the black surrounding area of your little screen. No big deal if you do, the polish cleans off easy. This works a treat.

Let me know how you go.

Good luck and kindest regards.

Paul Harrington
AU

[email protected]
Thanks Paul, unfortunately it appears that I will have to use a cut polish and then a finishing polish on the end of my dremel tool. The haze is deeper than I thought.

My advice to anyone attempting the denatured alcohol treatment to the display lens is ......... DON'T until you test it first in a small area!!!!
hoodoodrum is offline  
post #9 of 30 Old Feb 10th, 2007, 1:06 am
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Savannah, GA, USA
Posts: 1,893
Careful with that dremel tool. It is easy to burn/melt the plastic with it, and that will make matters even worse. I, personally, wouldn't use any kind of powered buffer on something like that. As an alternative I woud try masking the whole area off, leaving just the "window" exposed. Then start wet sanding (lightly) with 2000 grit paper, then 2500, 3000, 4000, 6000 then 8000. Followed by, of all things, toothpaste to give the final polish. The "sand papers" are micromesh and will polish out any scratches and impefections.

Micromesh and descriptions of its uses http://www.sisweb.com/micromesh/
Morley is offline  
post #10 of 30 Old Feb 10th, 2007, 8:11 am
Senior Member
 
RonKMiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Tucson, AZ, USA
Posts: 6,280
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodoodrum
Just attempted to clean the sound system stingray LED screen with denatured alcohol. I think it ate into the surface of the acrylic screen. It now needs to be "resurfaced" somehow. Clearcoat scratch remover and a small dremel buffing wheel have failed. Suggestions appreciated.
If I remember correctly isopropyl alcohol and denatured alcohol are two different beasts. Isopropyl is what is commonly used for cleaning acrylic.

Regardless, you have more or less chemically "melted" the surface of the plastic, and no amount of buffing, micro mesh, etc. is going to bring it back.

The only possible way you might be able to fix it is if you can get the lens out and lay it in on a horizontal surface. Buy some FUTURE brand floor "wax". It is liquid acrylic - the same polymer, more or less - that the lens is made from.

Mask the edges of the lens so it cannot puddle underneath, then apply a thin coating. An eye dropper is an ideal tool to use as an applicator. Let it sit for 24 hours to completely dry, you may need to repeat this. If you're lucky it will bond with the lens surface and restore the optical characteristics.

If you've used any wax or buffing compound on the lens already you'll need to thoroughly clean it off with isopropyl first.

Good luck Jim, and if you or any members of your Impossible Mission force are killed or captured, the Secretary will disavow all knowledge. This reply will self destruct in 5 seconds.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Like Butt-ahh!"

Last edited by RonKMiller; Feb 10th, 2007 at 8:17 am.
RonKMiller is offline  
post #11 of 30 Old Feb 10th, 2007, 10:46 am Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 826
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKMiller
If I remember correctly isopropyl alcohol and denatured alcohol are two different beasts. Isopropyl is what is commonly used for cleaning acrylic.

Regardless, you have more or less chemically "melted" the surface of the plastic, and no amount of buffing, micro mesh, etc. is going to bring it back.
It melted it alright, but I'm pretty sure I can get it back to "clear view". The question is I need to find the correct grit to sand off the outside layer and then polish back to a clear view. I'm gonna head to the auto parts store and find some various supplies. Will take some time.
hoodoodrum is offline  
post #12 of 30 Old Feb 10th, 2007, 10:48 am Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morley
Careful with that dremel tool. It is easy to burn/melt the plastic with it, and that will make matters even worse. I, personally, wouldn't use any kind of powered buffer on something like that. As an alternative I woud try masking the whole area off, leaving just the "window" exposed. Then start wet sanding (lightly) with 2000 grit paper, then 2500, 3000, 4000, 6000 then 8000. Followed by, of all things, toothpaste to give the final polish. The "sand papers" are micromesh and will polish out any scratches and impefections.

Micromesh and descriptions of its uses http://www.sisweb.com/micromesh/
Good suggestions. The dremel is fine so long as I wet buff.
hoodoodrum is offline  
post #13 of 30 Old Feb 10th, 2007, 11:05 am
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 4,905
I use "Mother's Mag & Aluminum Polish" on my iPod every few months to remove all of the scratches of the it's plastic face. I have used it on other painted and plastic surfaces as well with awesome results. It's a cream with an EXTREMELY mild abrasive in it (obviously). I discovered the stuff when looking for something to maintain the aluminum frame that I had polished and buffed to a chrome-like finish on my Ninja. Love the stuff!


messenger13 is offline  
post #14 of 30 Old Feb 10th, 2007, 2:22 pm Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 826
Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
I use "Mother's Mag & Aluminum Polish" on my iPod every few months to remove all of the scratches of the it's plastic face. I have used it on other painted and plastic surfaces as well with awesome results. It's a cream with an EXTREMELY mild abrasive in it (obviously). I discovered the stuff when looking for something to maintain the aluminum frame that I had polished and buffed to a chrome-like finish on my Ninja. Love the stuff!
Yes I am familiar with that stuff. Excellent product and I may yet try that. I made a run to AutoZone and bought 800 & 1000 fine sandpaper. I cut the surface down wet sanding and was able to get out 80% of the damage and then used red rubbing and white fine surface polishing compound. It's much better but not even close to what the lens surface was yesterday afternoon (even given the microscopic lines and haze I was trying to eliminate with the alcohol). "Bang my head on the wall"!!!!

Hard lesson learned here about hard clear plastics. BE CAREFUL!!!!!
hoodoodrum is offline  
post #15 of 30 Old Feb 10th, 2007, 3:18 pm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: West Bend , Wisconsin, USA
Posts: 161
Others have already given you good advice ... I'll just add when mine turns (Which is almost every time it gets some rain on it ) I use SIMICHROME.

Clears it right up again like new.
Petre is offline  
post #16 of 30 Old Feb 10th, 2007, 4:48 pm
Senior Member
 
RonKMiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Tucson, AZ, USA
Posts: 6,280
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodoodrum
It melted it alright, but I'm pretty sure I can get it back to "clear view". The question is I need to find the correct grit to sand off the outside layer and then polish back to a clear view. I'm gonna head to the auto parts store and find some various supplies. Will take some time.
I just had a better idea.

Why not fabricate a new one and save yourself alot of grief? (assuming it comes out relatively easily...never taken that apart, but I have a feeling it is probably impossible without messing something up)

You could get a piece of scrap from a plastics supply house for nada, and the tool to score and cut the plastic is readilly available there as well...

Or, fabricate the part and glue it on top with some clear RTV silicone...?

Better yet, just buy a new bike!


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Like Butt-ahh!"
RonKMiller is offline  
post #17 of 30 Old Feb 10th, 2007, 7:34 pm Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 826
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKMiller
I just had a better idea.

Why not fabricate a new one and save yourself alot of grief? (assuming it comes out relatively easily...never taken that apart, but I have a feeling it is probably impossible without messing something up)

You could get a piece of scrap from a plastics supply house for nada, and the tool to score and cut the plastic is readilly available there as well...

Or, fabricate the part and glue it on top with some clear RTV silicone...?

Better yet, just buy a new bike!
Sure would be nice if I could fabricate the bugger. From what I can tell the lens is part of the entire radio control unit @ $427. Oh what a joy!!!
hoodoodrum is offline  
post #18 of 30 Old Feb 10th, 2007, 7:53 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
 
katnapinn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Kyle, Texas, USA
Posts: 8,597
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodoodrum
Sure would be nice if I could fabricate the bugger. From what I can tell the lens is part of the entire radio control unit @ $427. Oh what a joy!!!
I have been into the radio that far and if I remember right when I removed the radio from the " Stingray" the window was still in the housing. SOOO.... you "should" be able to remove it and replace it Just my .02

Stevie Shreeve
katnapinn is offline  
post #19 of 30 Old Feb 11th, 2007, 12:08 am Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 826
Quote:
Originally Posted by katnapinn
I have been into the radio that far and if I remember right when I removed the radio from the " Stingray" the window was still in the housing. SOOO.... you "should" be able to remove it and replace it Just my .02
Unfortunately, it appears that the control unit (the one with the 8 pushbuttons) is one piece.
hoodoodrum is offline  
post #20 of 30 Old Feb 11th, 2007, 7:42 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
 
katnapinn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Kyle, Texas, USA
Posts: 8,597
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodoodrum
Unfortunately, it appears that the control unit (the one with the 8 pushbuttons) is one piece.
The radio itself "WILL" come off 'cause I've done it. it takes a "VERY" small allen or torx wrench (It's early & I've not had my coffee yet) so I can't remember witch it is. I had a small leek in the display window and sealed it from the inside.Good Luck!!

Stevie Shreeve
katnapinn is offline  
post #21 of 30 Old Feb 11th, 2007, 10:43 am Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 826
Quote:
Originally Posted by katnapinn
The radio itself "WILL" come off 'cause I've done it. it takes a "VERY" small allen or torx wrench (It's early & I've not had my coffee yet) so I can't remember witch it is. I had a small leek in the display window and sealed it from the inside.Good Luck!!
Here is what I understand so far. I hope you have a better idea. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	radioltlens.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	9918  
hoodoodrum is offline  
post #22 of 30 Old Feb 11th, 2007, 2:39 pm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Savannah, GA, USA
Posts: 1,893
The "window" is probably bonded to the surrounding plastic, though you may be able to pry it loose without damaging anything, your decision. Before I went tearing into it and taking that kind of risk, I would try polishing it out. hopefully it didn't melt the plastic too far down and just clouded the surface.
Morley is offline  
post #23 of 30 Old Feb 11th, 2007, 8:57 pm
Member
 
NVRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Ashburn, VA, USA
Posts: 44
Regular automobile polish (turtlewax) worked well for me.
NVRider is offline  
post #24 of 30 Old Feb 11th, 2007, 9:04 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
 
katnapinn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Kyle, Texas, USA
Posts: 8,597
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodoodrum
Here is what I understand so far. I hope you have a better idea. Thanks
The area that you pointed out in yellow "WILL" come apart that is where the "SMALL" eather allen or torx head screws are. The control unit comes apart so you can get to the window

Stevie Shreeve
katnapinn is offline  
post #25 of 30 Old Feb 12th, 2007, 12:05 am
Senior Member
 
Motomadman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Camarillo, CA, USA
Posts: 470
Exclamation New one on E-Bay

Hey Hoo Dude there is a new one on E-Bay. Just wait till the last before you bid.....

Craig Hutchison
02 Pac Blue (Aka Blue Ox)
34 14 12.63 N
119 01 21.64 W

Why coast through Life when you can Corner it.
Motomadman is offline  
post #26 of 30 Old Feb 12th, 2007, 8:12 am
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: mount airy (mayberry), NC,
Posts: 1,155
I have had good luck with a three grit fingernail emory board. might find one at *marts or a beauty supply house. One side has two grits on it, one on each end. Other side is the polishing side. Obviously, you'd use the grits to clean it up and polish it out witht he final side. Might be perfect after the work you;ve already done. Also some hobby shops carry polishing kits for model cars that have from 3200 up to 12000 grit snading cloths in them, as well as a bit of polish. These also work great on clear plastics. Just takes some patience to run thru every grit to get the best finish possible.

Good luck.
randy
rando is offline  
post #27 of 30 Old Feb 15th, 2007, 8:29 pm
KRW
Junior Member
 
KRW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Saginaw, Mi, USA
Posts: 11
Here is the website for the radio head for sale on ebay. Good Luck!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-R...ayphotohosting
KRW is offline  
post #28 of 30 Old Feb 18th, 2007, 1:11 pm
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 432
Barkeepers Friend

I've also used barkeepers friend to polish mine. When I bought my first LT, the LCD screen was fogged white. 5 minutes of polishing with Barkeepers friend and it looked like new.

No guarantee -- YMMV -- but I'd do it again in a heartbeat.
GerardSchlundt is offline  
post #29 of 30 Old Feb 19th, 2007, 11:32 am
Senior Member
 
STYLNLT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Long Beach, Ca, USA
Posts: 128
Radio Lens

Actually, I've had that whole thing apart. And yes, the lens is a seperate piece.

My lens has gotten ugly over time as well, so when I took mine apart, I took measurements and made a template of the lens.

It's now a decision of weither to make the replacement out of glass or plastic.
STYLNLT is offline  
post #30 of 30 Old Feb 19th, 2007, 4:40 pm
Senior Member
 
deputy5211's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Dallas Area, TX, USA
Posts: 4,877
Dunno how readily you can make replacements, but I would image you could move a fair number of them around here. I'd be up for one.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

-----------------------------------------------


'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.
*

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
deputy5211 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Did I Mess Up by ordering Cee Bailey w/o wings RideIt Ergonomics & Rider Comfort 24 Feb 18th, 2007 10:16 pm
Don't mess with the guy in the BMW eljeffe Humor 4 Aug 16th, 2006 10:25 pm
How to drain the Tran w/o making a mess JMMRoad K1200LT 13 May 11th, 2006 8:10 pm
oily mess parishollow K1200LT 7 May 1st, 2006 4:06 pm
7 reasons not to mess with children. early1 Humor 0 Dec 9th, 2005 3:24 pm

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome