Making sure I have all the parts for the job - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old Feb 6th, 2007, 9:33 pm Thread Starter

Making sure I have all the parts for the job

Well, after 1,000 miles, I realize that either the Remus exhaust system or the bike goes . . . . . just waaaaayy too noisey for me (and passenger). I will be picking up a stock exhaust this week (assuming I get over the flu) and would like to install the OEM system this weekend.

Before I get everything apart and find out I need that one $2 item (which has never happened to any of us right?), anything I need to pickup from the dealer BEFORE starting on the replacement; i.e., exhaust manifold gasket, etc.?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old Feb 6th, 2007, 9:48 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy-SC
Well, after 1,000 miles, I realize that either the Remus exhaust system or the bike goes . . . . . just waaaaayy too noisey for me (and passenger). I will be picking up a stock exhaust this week (assuming I get over the flu) and would like to install the OEM system this weekend.

Before I get everything apart and find out I need that one $2 item (which has never happened to any of us right?), anything I need to pickup from the dealer BEFORE starting on the replacement; i.e., exhaust manifold gasket, etc.?

Thanks
Click here and then click on the 'exhaust system' in the left column, then click on the thumbnail and it'll pull up an enlarged pic with the itemized parts below and costs. I've never done an install, so can't help there, Andy. I think it does take a lot of "hold your mouth just right", and maybe a BFH!!! Good luck.
post #3 of 16 Old Feb 6th, 2007, 9:49 pm
Senior Member (ret.)

have you done the exhaust extension that eliminates some of the Remus noise? This was discovered by Scott (motorhead). It's a tube extension that is inserted in the exhaust end.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Raffy

post #4 of 16 Old Feb 6th, 2007, 9:51 pm

Remus

Wanna sell the Remus? If you haven't already. Let me know? Thanks.

D.Kinsey
Santa Fe, Tx.
15 R1200RT
13 Ducati Panigale Tricolore
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

12 Ducati Diavel Carbon(SOLD)
08 K1200LT (born 12/19/07)(SOLD)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

09 Triumph Sprint ST...RED(SOLD)
00 K1200LT Custom Painted(SOLD)
post #5 of 16 Old Feb 6th, 2007, 10:18 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaffyK
have you done the exhaust extension that eliminates some of the Remus noise? This was discovered by Scott (motorhead). It's a tube extension that is inserted in the exhaust end.
Raffy,

I looked at the mod but to be honest, the reason I got the LT was for a ride on a precision piece of machinery. When your radio is drowed out around town from the sound of the exhaust, something has to change.

I had a Kawasaki Voyager before the LT and it was way quieter than the LT currently is. I know that the weight and possibly power is a reason to change exhaust systems but the noise does not outweigh the advantages at least in my book . . . . . bad when the wife and kids say they wish I had the Voyager back . . . . none want to ride on the LT as it currently sites. I have not owned a bike in the last 20 years that rumbles like this one does.
post #6 of 16 Old Feb 6th, 2007, 10:57 pm

Exhaust woes

When I had my 1150RT, I replaced the stock exhaust with a Staintune. Within a few weeks I wished that I had not made the swap; loud and I lost top end grunt.

My LT sounds great just the way it is.
post #7 of 16 Old Feb 6th, 2007, 11:06 pm

Lots of used for sale...

Quote:

Thanks
You can probably pick up a good used one for around $100.00. Many have been offered. I actually gave mine away when I replaced it with a Remus.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #8 of 16 Old Feb 7th, 2007, 12:00 am

How about a swap???

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandiver
You can probably pick up a good used one for around $100.00. Many have been offered. I actually gave mine away when I replaced it with a Remus.

I have been looking for a Remus for my k1200lt for some time. My stock exhaust is in prefect condition...looks like new. Now, why couldn't we work out a trade? Call me at 704-280-1971 to discuss. I'm very interested.
or if interested, just OM me through this site

Thanks again
Jack Homesley

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA
'06 Goldwing - "The Black Pearl"
Too many others to list...

GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #9 of 16 Old Feb 7th, 2007, 5:50 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandiver
That ws my intent . . . . . hopefully I can pick one up locally. The purpose of the post was ensure that I did not need any parts which were not obtainable after the dealer closed. Been there a number of times where that 1 hour job turns into a 4 day ordeal making trip after trip to the dealer for $2 parts.

Went through that with replacing the front fork springs on my Voyager XII. An hour job IF you know what you are doing and have the simple parts & tools. 5 days later I had her back on the road . . . . . but I wound up doing the job for several other Voyager owners after learning those lessons and got it down to about 40 minutes total.

Andy
post #10 of 16 Old Feb 7th, 2007, 10:12 am
Senior Member (ret.)

new set of header gaskets. make sure when you get the Remus system off that all 4 gaskets come off with it. A set of 4 new gaskets should be under $15.00.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Raffy
post #11 of 16 Old Feb 7th, 2007, 12:18 pm

Do yourself a favor and do the $2 farkle that Scott (Motorhead) pioneered with the tube extension that you put in the end of the REMUS exhaust. It cuts the noise down dramatically. I have it stuffed in the end of my pipe and it works like a damn.
post #12 of 16 Old Feb 7th, 2007, 2:01 pm

Anyone know how to modify our stock funky muffler so that the exhaust fumes blow out the back (the way the pipe looks like it should do) and not down to the ground as it does?

I am always getting jibed by my friends about it. LOL
post #13 of 16 Old Feb 7th, 2007, 2:55 pm

and it leaves black spots on you garage floor where the exhaust blows!

Al Strickland
Blairsville, Georgia
1967 Honda Cub
1972 Honda CB350
1979 Suzuki GS750E
2001 R1150GS (gone -- victim of a Highway 28 curve)
2002 K1200LT Trike (now history, transmission died)
2009 R1200GS
2013 K1600GTL

2009 K1300GT
post #14 of 16 Old Feb 7th, 2007, 4:24 pm

Something has to change but what?

I don't have a Remus and don't know what it sounds like. Changing back to stock maybe the solution.
But I will say listening to the bike's speakers instead of an "in-the-ear" noise reducing speaker is one way to ensure low fidelity.
You might try the Remus noise reducer others are referring to and some ear buds. You'll save your ears, get better sound, and save the hassle of changing out your exhaust. Just a thought.
post #15 of 16 Old Feb 7th, 2007, 5:40 pm

Question

Quote:

Thanks
Andy, do you know if the bike also has the Rhinewest chip in addition to the Remus? If so, I believe they are paired up for performance, and reverting to the stock exhaust without also reverting back to the original chip may be detrimental to the bike's performance and MPG. Just my dos pesos!

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #16 of 16 Old Feb 7th, 2007, 8:46 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieVT
I don't have a Remus and don't know what it sounds like. Changing back to stock maybe the solution.
But I will say listening to the bike's speakers instead of an "in-the-ear" noise reducing speaker is one way to ensure low fidelity.
You might try the Remus noise reducer others are referring to and some ear buds. You'll save your ears, get better sound, and save the hassle of changing out your exhaust. Just a thought.
Charlie,

Appreciate the suggestion but I find it easy enough to get distracted riding without cables and earplugs . . . . . I've riden for 35 years and other than a Goldwing and the Voyager XII that just went out to make room for the LT, I have lived without a radio. I am not expecting Bose quality sound but when I can not even hear the sound over the exhaust, it seems something is amiss when compared to the past two bikes where some road noise and a bit of wind was all that one heard other than the radio. I might be an outlier but even the intercom on my Voyager never got hooked up . . . . rather not have the helmet connections and sound piped right into my ears.

Andy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in