Standard toolkit? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Feb 1st, 2007, 11:35 am Thread Starter

Standard toolkit?

I noticed reference to a "standard toolkit" in another post. I have purchased a number of motorcycles over the years and have always received a toolkit with the bike. The '06 LT I recently purchased, though, had a toolroll that consisted of a flimsy flat blade screwdriver and a few spare fuses. My dealer says this is normal for the new machines.

Can anyone tell me what is in a "standard toolkit" or advise what I should purchase to put one together? Any specific spare parts that are must have's for the road?

Thanks!

Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Feb 1st, 2007, 12:11 pm

Jim,

My 05 came with a full tool kit.

My suggestion; Next time you are at the dealer see if he would show you what a Pre 05 LT tool kit comes with *or* open your factory included mini maint how to manuals to see what tools you might need by size?

47+ Yrs Daily Motorcycle Street riding for Therapy

2012 Victory Cross Country Tour
2007 Black Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - Sold
2007 Red Moto Guzzi Norge 1200 - Sold
2005 LT Dark Graphite - (Sold)
2005 PearlBlue FJR1300 (Sold)
3 BMW's, 8 HD baggers, 3 Goldwings & 860K + miles later
*Ridin steady since 1973
Religion began when the first scoundrel met the first fool. Voltaire.

post #3 of 6 Old Feb 1st, 2007, 1:00 pm
BMW Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by javandyke
I noticed reference to a "standard toolkit" in another post. I have purchased a number of motorcycles over the years and have always received a toolkit with the bike. The '06 LT I recently purchased, though, had a toolroll that consisted of a flimsy flat blade screwdriver and a few spare fuses. My dealer says this is normal for the new machines.

Can anyone tell me what is in a "standard toolkit" or advise what I should purchase to put one together? Any specific spare parts that are must have's for the road?

Thanks!

Jim
About half way through the 2005 model year BMWNA stopped including the tool kit with the new bikes. You can buy the LT specific tool kit from the dealer for about 80 bucks.

FWIW - I did buy the GS tool kit because of some of the out of the way places I seem to end up on the GS. My 2000 LTC came with the full kit, but in 3 years of riding and 50k miles I've never needed it...

2007 G650 X Challenge
2006 GT200
2005 R1200GS

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 6 Old Feb 1st, 2007, 1:03 pm

Hi, Jim - back in '99, when I purchased ole Toad, there wuz a toolkit strapped to the inside wall of the left sidecase. In addition to 'most' of the parts listed here (scroll down to the bottom of the page), there wuz a tire repair kit consisting of three CO2 cartridges, some tire plugs and adhesive, an awl and a sharp razor blade. We didn't get the oil funnel thangie (instead, there were three or four disposable paper funnels behind the vanity mirror).

I understand nowadays, the onboard toolkit has pretty much gone the way of the onboard picnic cooler unit that wuz planned for the trunk. I do think a BMW dealer has the option to include a full dress tool kit, or at least make one available for purchase at the parts counter. Dunno that for sure, butt I've seen 'em in the display case at my dealer. Also, CruzTools sells several well-stocked toolkits - check 'em out at http://www.cruztools.com, Good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by javandyke

Thanks!

Jim
post #5 of 6 Old Feb 1st, 2007, 10:28 pm

Yep, my 2006 LT (new) came with a silly screw driver and some fuses. I was a little bit amazed.
post #6 of 6 Old Feb 1st, 2007, 10:36 pm

My tool kit seems to get used alot due to the many HDs that ride with me. Never used on my LT.

Craig Hutchison
02 Pac Blue (Aka Blue Ox)
34 14 12.63 N
119 01 21.64 W

Why coast through Life when you can Corner it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in