BMW Luxury Touring Community

BMW Luxury Touring Community (https://www.bmwlt.com/forums/)
-   K1200LT (https://www.bmwlt.com/forums/k1200lt/)
-   -   Standard toolkit? (https://www.bmwlt.com/forums/k1200lt/19045-standard-toolkit.html)

javandyke Feb 1st, 2007 11:35 am

Standard toolkit?

I noticed reference to a "standard toolkit" in another post. I have purchased a number of motorcycles over the years and have always received a toolkit with the bike. The '06 LT I recently purchased, though, had a toolroll that consisted of a flimsy flat blade screwdriver and a few spare fuses. My dealer says this is normal for the new machines.

Can anyone tell me what is in a "standard toolkit" or advise what I should purchase to put one together? Any specific spare parts that are must have's for the road?

Thanks!

Jim

usmctpdog Feb 1st, 2007 12:11 pm

Jim,

My 05 came with a full tool kit.

My suggestion; Next time you are at the dealer see if he would show you what a Pre 05 LT tool kit comes with *or* open your factory included mini maint how to manuals to see what tools you might need by size?

Ted Shred Feb 1st, 2007 1:00 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by javandyke
I noticed reference to a "standard toolkit" in another post. I have purchased a number of motorcycles over the years and have always received a toolkit with the bike. The '06 LT I recently purchased, though, had a toolroll that consisted of a flimsy flat blade screwdriver and a few spare fuses. My dealer says this is normal for the new machines.

Can anyone tell me what is in a "standard toolkit" or advise what I should purchase to put one together? Any specific spare parts that are must have's for the road?

Thanks!

Jim

About half way through the 2005 model year BMWNA stopped including the tool kit with the new bikes. You can buy the LT specific tool kit from the dealer for about 80 bucks.

FWIW - I did buy the GS tool kit because of some of the out of the way places I seem to end up on the GS. My 2000 LTC came with the full kit, but in 3 years of riding and 50k miles I've never needed it...

Dick Feb 1st, 2007 1:03 pm

Hi, Jim - back in '99, when I purchased ole Toad, there wuz a toolkit strapped to the inside wall of the left sidecase. In addition to 'most' of the parts listed here (scroll down to the bottom of the page), there wuz a tire repair kit consisting of three CO2 cartridges, some tire plugs and adhesive, an awl and a sharp razor blade. We didn't get the oil funnel thangie (instead, there were three or four disposable paper funnels behind the vanity mirror).

I understand nowadays, the onboard toolkit has pretty much gone the way of the onboard picnic cooler unit that wuz planned for the trunk. I do think a BMW dealer has the option to include a full dress tool kit, or at least make one available for purchase at the parts counter. Dunno that for sure, butt I've seen 'em in the display case at my dealer. Also, CruzTools sells several well-stocked toolkits - check 'em out at http://www.cruztools.com, Good luck.

Quote:

Originally Posted by javandyke

Thanks!

Jim

cfmpilot Feb 1st, 2007 10:28 pm

Yep, my 2006 LT (new) came with a silly screw driver and some fuses. I was a little bit amazed.

Motomadman Feb 1st, 2007 10:36 pm

My tool kit seems to get used alot due to the many HDs that ride with me. Never used on my LT.