It's not been a fun two day - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old Jan 31st, 2007, 9:30 pm Thread Starter

It's not been a fun two day

The last two days have not been really fun days. I was riding in to the office yesterday and hit a pretty hard bump. I saw something flip off the bike. The left Muth mirror is loose so that was my first thought. When I looked to the left, I saw the AudioVox head for my Sirius radio bouncing down the road. By the time I got to it, it had been hit one or twice (Pic 1).

Then today I went out to the garage to take Rover to work tonight. When I got out there, there were oil spots on the floor. Checking the rear wheel, there is oil all over the tire and the rear brake caliper. Running my finger up behind the caliper to towards the hub there is an oily residue. So I'm thinking I've lost the rear end. (Pic 2 & 3) We're off to the dealer tomorrow so that they can check it out. Am I mad or upset?? Yep, but only because I'm not going to be able to ride for the next couple of weeks. This is just a machine and things break. C'est la vie!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0307a.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	9754   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0304a.jpg
Views:	479
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	9755   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0306a.jpg
Views:	353
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	9756  

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bmwlt.com lately????

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old Jan 31st, 2007, 9:47 pm

Tough breaks Steve... Hope the rear end deal isn't as serious as it sounds.

I admire you attitude in dealing with back to back bad days.
post #3 of 21 Old Jan 31st, 2007, 9:48 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_R
The last two days have not been really fun days. I was riding in to the office yesterday and hit a pretty hard bump. I saw something flip off the bike. The left Muth mirror is loose so that was my first thought. When I looked to the left, I saw the AudioVox head for my Sirius radio bouncing down the road. By the time I got to it, it had been hit one or twice (Pic 1).

Then today I went out to the garage to take Rover to work tonight. When I got out there, there were oil spots on the floor. Checking the rear wheel, there is oil all over the tire and the rear brake caliper. Running my finger up behind the caliper to towards the hub there is an oily residue. So I'm thinking I've lost the rear end. (Pic 2 & 3) We're off to the dealer tomorrow so that they can check it out. Am I mad or upset?? Yep, but only because I'm not going to be able to ride for the next couple of weeks. This is just a machine and things break. C'est la vie!

I dunno, Bud. You may be right about the rear drive, butt before ole Toad got to leakin' that bad, I heard and felt all kinds of weird goings on back there. Knowin' how in tune you are with Red Rover, I'da thought you woulda felt or heard sumpthin' too. Maybe sumpthin' franged as a result of you hitting the beeg bump?

I'll keep my fingers crossed for ya. And say, didn't you just have Red Rover worked on recently? A tech session, or did the dealership do some service.

I know whatever it takes, you'll git-er-done before you make the Feb trip down to my 'hood. See ya then.

post #4 of 21 Old Jan 31st, 2007, 9:56 pm

Sorry for your recent bad luck.

FWIW, your middle pic looks exactly like my final drive did after the BMW service tech left the fill plug off during the 600 mile service. I realized it several hundred miles later. No oil, of course. New final drive at no cost to me, except for 2 weeks out of commision.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #5 of 21 Old Jan 31st, 2007, 10:09 pm Thread Starter

I'm already for the couple weeks down time. I just need the bike back by Feb 23. I got a little planned out Tejas way. Where are we eating on Feb 24 Dick? Did I just hijack my own thread??

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

post #6 of 21 Old Jan 31st, 2007, 10:16 pm

Quote:
I'm already for the couple weeks down time. I just need the bike back by Feb 23. I got a little planned out Tejas way. Where are we eating on Feb 24 Dick? Did I just hijack my own thread??
Nah, I hi-jacked it for ya!!!

Hey, you haven't been to that place in Bastrop that Andy found, and neither have I. I can't recall the name of the place at the moment, but maybe we can schedule that. It's just east of Austin. Or there are some 'Q' places over in Lockhart. Or, since you'll be on Red Rover, maybe we'll do sumpthin' over in the Hill Country around Llano or....???? We'll figger out sumpthin' 'fore you git here, Steve. Good luck on patchin' ole Red Rover up.
post #7 of 21 Old Jan 31st, 2007, 10:42 pm

Sure looks suspicous????

Have you found out what the problem is? To me...it almost looks like brake fluid or a leak from the rear drive drain???

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA
'06 Goldwing - "The Black Pearl"
Too many others to list...

GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #8 of 21 Old Jan 31st, 2007, 10:58 pm
Cat Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
Nah, I hi-jacked it for ya!!!

Hey, you haven't been to that place in Bastrop that Andy found, and neither have I. I can't recall the name of the place at the moment, but maybe we can schedule that. It's just east of Austin. Or there are some 'Q' places over in Lockhart. Or, since you'll be on Red Rover, maybe we'll do sumpthin' over in the Hill Country around Llano or....???? We'll figger out sumpthin' 'fore you git here, Steve. Good luck on patchin' ole Red Rover up.
I'll join you guys in Bastrop if you can stand me being there.
post #9 of 21 Old Jan 31st, 2007, 10:58 pm

Cool

Cross your fingers Steve, as you may be OK so long as you haven't put any real miles on it since it started leaking. After my Rear Drive was replaced heading to CCR-05 (Teton) I had a similar experience back home about a month later. I noticed oil spread all over the rear wheel in a starburst pattern, so it was obviously leaking while I was riding. But what called my attention to it right after I got off the Bike was the slow drip from the Brake Caliper!

I ended up taking it into the dealer and they replaced the seal that had started leaking not long after the Drive had been replaced under BMW warranty. That was about 20K miles ago, and all is still fine!

Maybe you just need a new seal.

John

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
'12 Triumph 800XC "Tigger II" (RIP)
'12 Triumph 1200 Explorer "Shadow Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

post #10 of 21 Old Feb 1st, 2007, 5:11 am

Maybe just loose brake line.
post #11 of 21 Old Feb 1st, 2007, 5:29 am

If you need help

Steve,

Sorry to hear about your Sirius and your leak. I live in Gwinnett County and run back and forth downtown alot. If I can help or if you need a ride just let me know. I'll help anyway I can.

Michael
post #12 of 21 Old Feb 1st, 2007, 7:01 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy
I'll join you guys in Bastrop if you can stand me being there.
Good deal, Andy. I think we can manage to stand you! Might have to lean up against the wall, butt we can stand ya!!

Stay tuned at the So. Central forum for later details.

Now back to Steve's *no-fun* thread. Sorry for the diversion, Steve.
post #13 of 21 Old Feb 1st, 2007, 7:21 am

I can relate to the radio being knocked off by a pot hole. Mine was a manhole cover and ever since I have a rubber band around the radio and the mount to help prevent that. The "lock" the XM Skyfi2 uses just isn't secure enough for that kind of jolt.

Good luck on the rear end.

Randy
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	BMW pictures 006_renamed_15637.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	9768  

2000 Canyon Red "Crimson Cruiser"
40,000 miles grinning, and counting....
BMWMOA # 131660
post #14 of 21 Old Feb 1st, 2007, 10:31 am
Bandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman587
Maybe just loose brake line.
i thought the same thing from the pics. maybe first check your brake fluid reservoir?
post #15 of 21 Old Feb 1st, 2007, 11:28 am

I'd also check fluid areas forward on the bike to see if something didn't get sprayed back in the wind. i.e. loose oil filter cap, tranny drain plug etc.
post #16 of 21 Old Feb 1st, 2007, 11:46 am

That's what my final drive and rear wheel looked like the 2nd day I had it....turns out they'd over-filled the final drive, and the breather pipe was facing the wrong way........... drained and refilled....moved the breather and it's been good to go since.

Patterson/USAF1....'05 LT
and the little guy behind me is the world famous "Marty Hill"
Never look into a lazer with the remaining eye
363K on BMW's
post #17 of 21 Old Feb 1st, 2007, 1:10 pm Thread Starter

Already been done. The drip when it is there is straight down from the brake and rear end.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

Last edited by Steve_R; Feb 1st, 2007 at 2:41 pm.
post #18 of 21 Old Feb 1st, 2007, 1:11 pm Thread Starter

Serviced by me 4k miles ago. First sign of oil and it is not coming from under the rear end boot.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

post #19 of 21 Old Feb 1st, 2007, 11:22 pm

"O" ring or Lip seal leak?

Quote:
Already been done. The drip when it is there is straight down from the brake and rear end.
Steve, can you tell if the leak is from the lip seal on the hub or the housing "O" ring?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Camera Dump 8.21.06 106.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	252.6 KB
ID:	9783   Click image for larger version

Name:	Camera Dump 8.21.06 108.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	266.3 KB
ID:	9784   Click image for larger version

Name:	camera dump 8.21.06 109.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	166.9 KB
ID:	9785  

"The idea is to die young as late as possible"

Barney Rubble (rider); Wilma Flintstone (pillion).
2000LTC CHAMPAGNE, Most prominent color at early CCR's
BMWMOA 89402

Last edited by wilbar00c; Feb 1st, 2007 at 11:28 pm.
post #20 of 21 Old Feb 2nd, 2007, 8:40 pm Thread Starter

And the jury is in

Borrowed a trailer from a friend today to get Red Rover to the dealer. Couldn't get the ramp up without it hitting the tour pack and being the lazy goof that I am, I rode the bike. Nothing unusual in bike handling except the lack of braking power from the rear brake. Not to be unexpected if the oil I'm seeing dripping from the rear caliper is brake fluid. I get to the shop during lunch hour, so there is no one around to look at the bike. No big deal, I like the dealer and I get to talk to Nate Kerns, one of the riders of the winning BMW at the ingaugural Moto-ST race a Daytona last fall. When the back office crew gets in from lunch, they pull Rover into the shop. There just the slightest of play from the rear wheel. Pull the rear wheel and brake hub and low and behold just a trace of oil from the seal at the rear end. So the issue is failed rear bearing. If there is no damage to the gears, it will be just replacement of all the bearings. If damage and cost gets to high, then they'll just replace with a new one. We all know that is a crap shoot, but there is a 2 year warranty on new parts so that's a good thing.

While they have it, they are going install the new throttle cables that I purchased last month and change all the oils. Also with leaky rear end it needs new EBC pads and I'm replaceing the rear rotor because it is clunking. At that point, we should be good to go to head to Austin on Feb 23.

I'm still of the opinion it is just a machine and it going to break sooner or later. I'm just going to fix and "Ride it like I stole it!!"

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

Last edited by Steve_R; Feb 2nd, 2007 at 8:56 pm.
post #21 of 21 Old Feb 3rd, 2007, 11:26 pm

Geez, Steve... glad you are getting things squared away!! the trip to Austin should be a great "breakin"..

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in