Potential New LT Owner here - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old Jan 30th, 2007, 10:24 pm Thread Starter

Potential New LT Owner here

Hello All great site, lots of useful information. I have been riding on and off for darn near 30 years now, my last was an 89 K100RS I sold in 1997. I am actively looking for a good used late model K1200LT , in fact going to go look at one this weekend I found in the classified section here. Is there anything special I need to know, any common problems I should be on the look out for? In addition, although I am an experienced rider, it has been some time since I have logged a lot of miles I am sure to be a bit rusty. Reading many of the posts here about the LT being top heavy and difficult to handle at low speeds has me a bit concerned.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old Jan 30th, 2007, 10:46 pm

I'm sure with you're previous riding experience that you'll do fine with the LT.
As far as the weight and being top heavy, it's just things to be aware of and ride accordingly. The bike handles great & rides very predictable.
Good luck & have fun finding the LT for you.

I've had a 78 R100RS, 95 R1100RSL, 2004 R1150RT & now 2004 LT.
post #3 of 22 Old Jan 30th, 2007, 10:46 pm

Nothing special.. this is one lady who appreciates respect.

Don't "expect" problems... if you see anything unusual, just search here or the HOW.

Now, a bit of a "retraction" about "nothing special"... some "maintenance" items are terribly unforgiving if they lack proper attention.. Here are a few..

- Tire pressures... monitor closely
- sidestand.. make SURE the bike's in 1st gear and rolled against the engine compression BEFORE dismounting

a few "personal" observations..

- If the "fat lady" sings the "swan song", she's going to finish... just don't get pinned or hurt trying to be a "hero" and save her from laying down
- This bike has WONDERFUL brakes.. never attempt a "stop" when the front wheel is turned.... yes, I'm a proud member of the DA.. "Droppers Anonymous".
-find folks in your area who will tag along to check out your anticipated ride... a nice steak or beverage of choice is usually sufficient and may save you some grief.
- the friends you gain here may also help you with "tech sessions" to detail more specifics about the machine you settle on.

Welcome aboard..!

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 22 Old Jan 31st, 2007, 3:26 am

If it has over 50,000 miles, first thing I would do is find a tech session close by and get the drain hole drilled in the transmission housing boss for the clutch slave cylinder. And at that mileage or more, while in there go ahead and replace the cylinder. If it fails, and there is no drain hole, the clutch is contaminated and has to be replaced, a BIG job!

Don't let the "Droppers anonymous" club, of which a great many here are members, scare you. The bike handles GREAT above walking speed, but at nearly stopped it can be a big problem if you put your foot down on a down sloped side and are not aware. The best way to join the club is to grab a handful of front brake when nearly stopped if the front wheel is not STRAIGHT AHEAD. Once you get used to the bike, you wonder what all the worry was about, much like learning anything moderatly challenging.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #5 of 22 Old Jan 31st, 2007, 5:48 am Thread Starter

Thanks, to all this is helpful. The one I am looking at this weekend is an 03 with about 9,000 miles so I am expecting it to be in good shape. Are there any significant differences in the models years between 03 and 05 as this is the year ranges I am looking at.
I guess stopping with the bars north and south and watching your footing is always good advice on any motorcycle, however I can see where it would take on a new level of importance on a motorcycle with a high CG. I am 6'3" with long legs so I hope that helps.
This is good information and I plan on practicing with it a bit before I go two up. Is there any advice anyone can offer on the best way to get the Lady back to vertical if she does decide to take a rest?
I have to admit I am in love with the looks of this motorcycle, even though I have not even seen one in person as yet. I am very happy about finding this site, I can tell there are a lot of riders on here with real world experience that are willing to share that experience.
post #6 of 22 Old Jan 31st, 2007, 6:07 am

As stated, be careful of the front brake while going slow (parking lot). It is so strong that it will catch you off guard. Once you learn to feather it- it's great..!!!

This bike will stop! The ABS works wonderful! It handles as well as you want her to- Many wear the tires out all the way to the edges. It will shock many sport bike riders how well it handles the turns.

David Major
Charleston, SC
-2003 LT
-2007 GS Adventure. White
post #7 of 22 Old Jan 31st, 2007, 10:11 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axiom2000
-------------I guess stopping with the bars north and south and watching your footing is always good advice on any motorcycle, however I can see where it would take on a new level of importance on a motorcycle with a high CG.
There is one thing that makes this more important on the LT than just about any other big heavy bike, and that is the Telelever suspension. It is one of the things tha makes the bike handle so darned good, but it's inherent anti dive feature makes it most important to be sure the wheel is straight the last couple feet of a stop. A bike with normal forks will soak up a lot of the inertial force by compressing the forks, where the mass on the LT continues to push straight ahead, and if the wheel is turned a little all that mass will try to pivot around the wheel axle, and down it goes! Just be aware of that and you will be just fine.
Quote:
I am 6'3" with long legs so I hope that helps.
That helps a LOT![/quote] This is good information and I plan on practicing with it a bit before I go two up. Is there any advice anyone can offer on the best way to get the Lady back to vertical if she does decide to take a rest? [/quote]There is a procedure posted here, I think in the HOW (Hall of Wisdom). Read through the HOW and you will learn a tremendous amount of good info before even getting the bike.
Quote:
I have to admit I am in love with the looks of this motorcycle, even though I have not even seen one in person as yet. I am very happy about finding this site, I can tell there are a lot of riders on here with real world experience that are willing to share that experience.
If you love the looks, wait until you get used to the ride!

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #8 of 22 Old Jan 31st, 2007, 5:37 pm

03 with 9K miles that almost brand new for an LT. Good luck, post some pictures if you get it.

--Bo
2013 Magma Red R1200GSA
2012 Candy Apple Red R1200R
2007 (2006 Blue Panels) R1200GS (RIP Poteau, OK)
2006 Graphite K1200GT (sold)
2002 Titan Silver LT (sold)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Don't Panic!
Achtung! böse Eichhörnchen!
post #9 of 22 Old Jan 31st, 2007, 6:03 pm
cws

Garage
pick up

Quote:
Is there any advice anyone can offer on the best way to get the Lady back to vertical if she does decide to take a rest?
From one of the good people on the list, I saved it for personal reference. It also works from the other side... (ie, DA approved!)
http://s128.photobucket.com/albums/p...T%20pick%20up/

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #10 of 22 Old Jan 31st, 2007, 6:22 pm Thread Starter

Thanks all, you guys are great. Now in addition to the 03 I have found an 04 with about 4,000 on the clock. Both are a fur piece away so it looks like my weekend will be dedicated to driving and looking at motorcycles. I guess there are a lot worse things to do on a cold winter weekend. Anyway I got cash in hand and got the bug.
Thanks again, Jerry
post #11 of 22 Old Jan 31st, 2007, 6:29 pm Thread Starter

Chris
I just watched that video, and it is hard to believe what I saw. But there it is in living color. I love it.
Thanks
Jerry
post #12 of 22 Old Jan 31st, 2007, 7:05 pm

Quote:
Are there any significant differences in the models years between 03 and 05 as this is the year ranges I am looking at?
There are a number of differences in how certain LTs are equipped. Accessories are quite expensive. The more included on your used purchase the better the deal. There is very little mechanical difference in the actual models for 2003 and 2004. However, the LT engine was modified with more horsepower, the dash rearranged, a power centerstand and courtesy lights added as well as the rake changed for better handling starting with the 2005 model. If you can afford to get a 2005 the difference is worth the extra money although you would not be displeased with well equipped earlier version. That's what I have. I would not be convinced pay any extra for a 2004 model with similar mileage to a 2003 thinking it is a "newer" model. It is virtually the same bike. Finally, the amount of available remaining warranty, if any, has a significant value as well. All things to ponder. Happy hunting!

Bob Morrow #4204
2014 K1600GTLE "Firefly" GTL 4 Two
2002 K1200LTE "Green Hornet" LT 4 Two (history)
"Kyrie Eleison down the road that I must travel"
post #13 of 22 Old Jan 31st, 2007, 7:47 pm

I have a great 03 LTE for sale. 35400 miles. excellent condition. FYI
post #14 of 22 Old Jan 31st, 2007, 8:08 pm Thread Starter

MSPSGT, I did see your ad and it looks like a great buy, your just a bit too far away for me. I am in Delaware and will be doing 10 hours on the road this weekend to look at two, that's far enough.. I am the kind of guy that has to look, see, touch and feel before I buy. But thanks.
Jerry
post #15 of 22 Old Jan 31st, 2007, 8:10 pm Thread Starter

Thanks Bob,
That is great information to have. I had not known about the improvements made on the 05's and that is certainly something to consider.
post #16 of 22 Old Jan 31st, 2007, 9:46 pm

not that bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by LFranz
I'm sure with you're previous riding experience that you'll do fine with the LT.
As far as the weight and being top heavy, it's just things to be aware of and ride accordingly. The bike handles great & rides very predictable.
Good luck & have fun finding the LT for you.

I've had a 78 R100RS, 95 R1100RSL, 2004 R1150RT & now 2004 LT.
Don't worry about what they say,lt's are not that bad. i was so worried getting mine.i was moving up from a 750 vulcan. i have not dropped it yet or even come close to dropping it. i am sure i will.
post #17 of 22 Old Feb 1st, 2007, 1:12 pm

I have discovered the LT becomes more top heavy after I get on it and even more so after my pillion gets on it.

Three things to remember about getting any new bike with its own ergonomics and specific purpose design: practice, practice, practice. Take an ERC, read up on slow speed techniques (Proficient Motorcycling - David Hough), become the master of the beast and you will soon be doing 25 foot U-turns two-up going down hill on a two lane road in the rain.

It is also my belief that the problem some riders have with the LT is simply that it's a heavy bike, top to bottom. 900+ lbs before you put gas in it let alone farkles, gear, and a pillion. Not top heavy just plain heavy. As a side note, I found it much easier to handle after I went back to gym and got on a circuit program for total body strength.

Bob Morrow #4204
2014 K1600GTLE "Firefly" GTL 4 Two
2002 K1200LTE "Green Hornet" LT 4 Two (history)
"Kyrie Eleison down the road that I must travel"
post #18 of 22 Old Feb 6th, 2007, 10:26 pm Thread Starter

Well I have not actually written a check yet, but I came real close today on a 06 demo at a dealership. It has less than 200 miles on it and it looks brand new. I guess the only thing stopping me is, for about $1000.00 more I can get an 07. I have now test driven an 02, 05 and 06, After reading some of the replies to my original post about the upgrades made to the 05 and later models I wanted to see for myself. It was really difficult to feel much difference in the engines on the 05 over the 02, maybe a bit more grunt on the bottom end. Of course 20 minute rides on each in freezing weather 2 days apart may not be the best yardstick. However I did feel the 05 and 06 were more manageable at lower speeds, apparently they changed the fork rake and it made a difference. Again not really having enough time on each to say for sure. I like the hydraulic center stand, at first I thought this may have been something I would not care about one way or the other, however after using it I can see the advantage. I like the dash on the newer models but other than that they are the same motorcycle I think. Oh I believe the seat has been lowered also just a tad. However, being 6'2" with a 34 inch inseam I don't see this as a benefit. Although I really could not feel any difference in the way any of them felt relative to seating position. The search continues, at least now I am sure I want a post 04 model. Hay whats a few more thou. when your spending this much for a motorcycle anyway. Thanks to all for your input it has been very useful information. I will keep you posted on what I finally end up with. I figure I still got a few weeks of real bad weather to contend with anyway so even though I may have the fever I am taking my time. The benefit to all this is, it's driving my SO nuts, when I first started this quest it was "You already have one motorcycle" today it was " Will you just make up your mind and buy one"
post #19 of 22 Old Feb 6th, 2007, 10:46 pm

It's your money... $1000 is a LOT of farkles... and perhaps a trip for you and your patient SO....

Go new and it's all up to you... you break in the bike.. 200 miles.. don't even worry about it.. get that one, save the loot and we'll argue about how to "break it in".

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #20 of 22 Old Feb 7th, 2007, 11:14 am

wow does that guy make it look easy. thanks for the video!

someone mentioned it above, but I would recommend keeping in mind that you'll want (and need) to buy some things. a headlight upgrade is essential for night riding. I got PIAAs for around $250. a foggy windshield needs to be replaced. my CBailees was $200 at least. scheduled 6k maintenance is pricey, and 6k on this bike comes FAST! tires need replacing every ~10k - $300 at best. unless you do the work yourself, figure in those huge chunks of labor. (whoever suggested riding it in tupperware-less: that is a GREAT idea and I'll start doing that!)

lots of people like GPS - there's $500. I'm installing XM this spring - $100 for the vehicle kit alone. I want to get a trailer & hitch someday - $3000.

rather than spend the extra $$ on a newer one, you might want to get a slightly older one and then buy the farkles you will need. just some thoughts.
post #21 of 22 Old Feb 7th, 2007, 12:14 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjhammetter
wow does that guy make it look easy. thanks for the video!
Hey, Ryan - that guy be our own RevZoom, John Munson, up in the DFW area. Makes it look easy, huh? Been me, I'da prolly rolled ole Toad right on over t'uther side and had the camera man in stitches!!!
post #22 of 22 Old Feb 7th, 2007, 9:42 pm
cws

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
Hey, Ryan - that guy be our own RevZoom, John Munson, up in the DFW area.
Thanks for that info Dick, I will amend my link appropriately and give credit where it's due!

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in