Where's my 5th???? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old Jan 30th, 2007, 8:50 am Thread Starter

Where's my 5th????

I have heard of people “pleading the fifth”, and even drinking a fifth on a Saturday night but I cannot find my fifth gear.

We were on our way to Spring, Tx for a little whoop-te-do and going through Houston during the 5:00 o’clock traffic (how do you big city people deal with traffic?) and we were either stopped or first gear for over an hour. Once we got through and finally started to speed up, I hit 2od, 3rd, 4th and that is all I had. No 5th gear. My indicator showed 4th and the tach was certainly not agreeing that I had top gear. As I slowed down to 2od to slow down then speed up and slow down once I did have 5th and then I had to slow down and it was gone again. The gear lever would lift up like it was already in top gear. For the next two days as I blasted up and down Interstate 45 between Houston and Spring, I only had four gears. I checked the bottom of the bike and no leaks unless all the rain had washed it off. Saturday evening as we got ready to head home I still only had four gears. We got through Houston and I kept trying to find 5th. Once I did get all five going but it was almost time to stop for fuel. I dropped to 4th to slow down and exit and I tried 5th again. There it is.

After we fueled up, it is a straight shot with no gear changes for the next 90 miles. We pulled out and I had all five. I set the cruise all the way home without problems. As I turned off the highway onto the loop, I had fifth again and it is working fine. For two days I only had four gears so something was wrong. Any ideas???

History…the bike is a 2002 and it is a little past time for the 24k but the fluids were all done at the 12k last April. No problems like this ever.

"BONES" <///><
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old Jan 30th, 2007, 9:30 am

If it was me, I'd do two things sooner rather than later.

1) Change your transmission oil. Inspect the magnetic oil plug. Don't worry about a few, or even a bunch of iron filings on it. You're looking for any big chunks of metal. I'd also look though the oil that was drained as well. Fill with BMW synthetic gear oil.

2) Check your shift linkage to make sure all the connectors and ball studs are tight.

Both of those are good standard practices, and about all you can really do at this point.

Good luck,
-joel
post #3 of 17 Old Jan 30th, 2007, 10:21 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

I ditto Kdogs recommendation.

I would change the order though.

Check the linkage first (use http://www.bmwlt.com/files/displayim...lbum=15&pos=21 to help). If you find nothing then check the condition of the drained fluid.

I regularly check and lube my linkage and the last time I found the belcrank pivot bolt loose (after only 6K). So it will pay dividends if you maintain it.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 17 Old Feb 3rd, 2007, 9:23 am Thread Starter

OK, I have taken the bike apart and have the 14mm hex socket for the tranny drain plug. It is too big to get my ratchet under it so I put a 14mm open end wrench on it and pushed so hard I think I lost my ability to bare children. I COULD NOT get it to turn. My question is: would it be OK to hit it with a rubber mallet?

"BONES" <///><

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
post #5 of 17 Old Feb 3rd, 2007, 9:38 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibbones
OK, I have taken the bike apart and have the 14mm hex socket for the tranny drain plug. It is too big to get my ratchet under it so I put a 14mm open end wrench on it and pushed so hard I think I lost my ability to bare children. I COULD NOT get it to turn. My question is: would it be OK to hit it with a rubber mallet?
Aw hell, Bones - button her back up and brung yourselves up to Grif's --- he's got one of them BFH, and if that don't work, he's got a fairly new vise that'll knock that puppy all the way back to Victoria, and then some!!!

OK - so not a good idea. Well then, a few good licks with the rubber mallet'll prolly do it. That's what I do, and you'd be surprised how often you git to go back to Home Depot and check out their new shipment of rubber mallets!!!

Good luck, Bud. Oh, and btw, whazzup with "bare children"? Man, don'tcha know this is a public forum and they don't allow no nude stuff!!!
post #6 of 17 Old Feb 3rd, 2007, 9:53 am

Hey, Bones! don't need no babp with a "rubber mallet", unless that's all you got... and remember, "lefty-loosey, righty-tighty"... Those plugs get mighty snug due to the types of metal...I hear even THOR has troubles with it.

If you have the rear wheel off you might have enough space to extend the wrench... take another Box end wrench and hook it into the open end of the 14mm.. that will extend your lever... go move the world.

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #7 of 17 Old Feb 3rd, 2007, 10:13 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
Aw hell, Bones - button her back up and brung yourselves up to Grif's --- he's got one of them BFH, and if that don't work, he's got a fairly new vise that'll knock that puppy all the way back to Victoria, and then some!!!
I need to do that some time soon anyway, It's time for my 24K

Quote:
OK - so not a good idea. Well then, a few good licks with the rubber mallet'll prolly do it. That's what I do, and you'd be surprised how often you git to go back to Home Depot and check out their new shipment of rubber mallets!!!
Naw, I use Lowes.

Quote:
Good luck, Bud. Oh, and btw, whazzup with "bare children"? Man, don'tcha know this is a public forum and they don't allow no nude stuff!!!
OK, maybe I didn't pust THAT hard but I did push

"BONES" <///><

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

post #8 of 17 Old Feb 3rd, 2007, 10:17 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfell
Hey, Bones! don't need no babp with a "rubber mallet", unless that's all you got... and remember, "lefty-loosey, righty-tighty"... Those plugs get mighty snug due to the types of metal...I hear even THOR has troubles with it.

If you have the rear wheel off you might have enough space to extend the wrench... take another Box end wrench and hook it into the open end of the 14mm.. that will extend your lever... go move the world.
I remember the lefty-loosey thing and even had to play it out in my head as I lie down on my back. I still have the rear wheel on and the skid plate thingy is kinda sorta in the way. It really limits the area I have to work with.
If Thor has a hard time, what hope is there for poor little O'l me?

"BONES" <///><

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

post #9 of 17 Old Feb 3rd, 2007, 10:47 am

yeah, Bones.. I have "faith"... you kan do eet!

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #10 of 17 Old Feb 3rd, 2007, 11:54 am

Laying there on the back and all upside down makes that lefty loosey thang a question at times. I wonder how many times y'all have seen me making a turning motion with my hand whilst doing this.

You might get her loose and then take the bike for ride to get the oil hot. Here's hoping that plastic flows out!

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #11 of 17 Old Feb 3rd, 2007, 1:59 pm

Quote:
I think I lost my ability to bare children.
Hmmmm :-) Hopefully you actually mean BEAR children?
post #12 of 17 Old Feb 3rd, 2007, 2:40 pm

Quote:
I remember the lefty-loosey thing and even had to play it out in my head as I lie down on my back. I still have the rear wheel on and the skid plate thingy is kinda sorta in the way. It really limits the area I have to work with.
If Thor has a hard time, what hope is there for poor little O'l me?
When I drain the tranny oil, I leave the bike on the side stand, then remove the bash plate and the exhaust hanger bracket. Then I can use the 14mm allen socket and my long breakover bar. The tranny is round on the bottom and the oil drains out easily when warm. No fancy funnel needed. With the bar sticking out to the right side, push it towards the rear to loosen.

Butt, I think you should inspect your linkage first. Sounds like a loose ball joint to me.

Blessings!
munson+

The Rev. John Munson
Vicar,
, Burkburnett, Texas
Vicar,
, Wichita Falls, Texas
2007 R1200RT "REV ZM"
IRON BUTT ASSOC. #37813
See my video:
post #13 of 17 Old Feb 3rd, 2007, 2:42 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajlelectronics
Good catch! We yanks tend to butcher the English language, don't we?

Blessings!
munson+

The Rev. John Munson
Vicar,
, Burkburnett, Texas
Vicar,
, Wichita Falls, Texas
2007 R1200RT "REV ZM"
IRON BUTT ASSOC. #37813
See my video:
post #14 of 17 Old Feb 3rd, 2007, 5:01 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by munson
Good catch! We yanks tend to butcher the English language, don't we?
Hadn't realised that you'd started using it

• 2005 LT - 17 countries, 2 CONTINENTS & counting !
  • MB SLK 350 MT
  • 1974 Triumph Bonneville 750

post #15 of 17 Old Feb 4th, 2007, 4:54 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolly
Hadn't realised that you'd started using it
Naw, we'd rather ABuse it. It's something about a little tea party we had awhile back.

Blessings!
munson+

The Rev. John Munson
Vicar,
, Burkburnett, Texas
Vicar,
, Wichita Falls, Texas
2007 R1200RT "REV ZM"
IRON BUTT ASSOC. #37813
See my video:
post #16 of 17 Old Feb 5th, 2007, 11:25 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajlelectronics
Opps...my bad. I think faster than I type so sometimes I am dyslexic on the keyboard.

"BONES" <///><

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

post #17 of 17 Old Feb 5th, 2007, 11:42 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfell
yeah, Bones.. I have "faith"... you kan do eet!
Phewww, I had to call on the powers of the Mighty Thor but...it's done. It was no easy task. I had to use a four foot cheater to get it loose and , get this...I broke my wrench! Yes, broke it. It is not the top of the line tool but it is a Matco brand. I finally got smart enough (it can take a while) and put the box end on the hex and then put it up under the bike with the wrench sticking out and then used the cheater. It was still a PULL to get it to break loos even with four extra feet of leverage. I didn't realize that the torque for a Boeing 747 motor mount and a K1200LT transmission drain plug are the same.
Anyway, after I got it loose I made a 4-5 mile ride down the road so I would have a better chance of burning the back of my hand while I take the plug out.
The oil flowed freely into my wifes 9x13" cake pan (boy is she gonna be mad if she sees it) but it is shallow enough to see if there are any floatties or sinkies. Plug looked clean and the oil looked clean. It smells like a small electrical fire but nothing in it. No metal (yeah!!!) or plastic (another story) in it at all.
Today I am gonna check the shift linkage then put everything back together.

"BONES" <///><

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in