Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Gilbert, AZ, USA
90% done on upgrades
Boy O' boy, spent Friday afternoon, night and Saturday morning tearing down the Red Dragon to do the slave cylinder repair. If you eliminated the stop time. It probably took me about 6-7 hrs from tear down to reassembly. The Dragon has 45900 miles on the clicker so upon removing the cylinder I found no, I mean NO, contaminating brake fluid in the cylinder body. pulled out the rod as well and it was dry as a bone. Yeeee Haaaa. Checked the tranie seal and it was dry. I did notice very small fine cracks in the seal. As I did not think to order one ahead of time, I did not replace the seal. I did not have a 4 ft cheater pipe, but I did have a 5 foot pipe with a flat earth tamper plate on the end. placed that on the breaker bar and just started pushing the bar up and down sort of bouncing the bar, then, BANG! socket fell off, but the nut came loose. Said to my self, that was easy. I did put a heat gun on the nut for about ten minuets before. Opposite side came loose just as easily.
I want to thank Dave Sealey for constructing the socket, allen wrench and drill bit. I want to thank all of the others that have taken the time to put down steps and photo's of the job, it made it much easier.
Today I installed the HID light. I decided to take the nose cone off just to learn what it intailed. Studied, other forum notes and found that it was very easy, finished buttoning up the tupper at about 6:45 pm tonight and fired it up. [and the lord said, "Let there be light"] The difference as you well know is night and day.
Of course just before I did the slave cylinder I installed my new brass quick disconnects. Took her out to fill up the tank and about a 20 mile ride to check out the clutch and the light.
This site is awesome! Thanks to all of you who have helped and gone the journey before me and reported "how to do it".
I am still having trouble with the cruse control staying on when I hit a hard bump or go over a bumpy fwy bridge. I will keep tinkering until I get it though.
Now all that is left to replace is the steering dampener. Which after replacing the front and rear shock should be an easy repair job. Thanks again guys.
99 Canyon Red Lt
"The True Red Dragon"
1982 Honda "Silver Wing"
1986 Gold Wing Interstate "Blue Babe"
1978 Gold Wing
1976 Kawasaki 900
1967 Honda 305 Scrambler