K 1200 LT Dependable? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old Jan 28th, 2007, 11:58 pm Thread Starter

K 1200 LT Dependable?

I`m a first time BMW owner. I`ve got a 10 year old Harley with 70,000 mi. on it. The Evolution motor has been a real strong running engine over the years. It still doesn`t leak a drop of oil. The bikes been all over the eastern US more than once and has never left me along side the road. I bought the '03' K 1200 LT with 13,000 mi. on it and it has just turned over 17,000 mi. I love the bike. It`s very fast, handles great and has lots of amenities. I began noticing a couple drops of oil underneath the engine. Nothing drastic. The service manager at Euro Cycles of Tampa Bay told me to monitor the level closely and they would address it when I brought it in for service. The other night I was coming home in 5th gear at about 3,000 rpm and rolled the throttle on. The tach redlined but the bike didn`t go any where. Come to find out, on top of the oil leak a seal went bad and transmission fluid entered the clutch chamber. Since it`s a dry clutch, this one is history. I was informed that to repair this item would cost $1,400.00. You gotta be kiddin` me. I had the clutch plates replaced on my wifes Harley for $300.00 at 60,000 mi. Sure hope this is not an indication of things to come because I truly do like the BMW, but right now my old Harley has a soft spot in my heart.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old Jan 29th, 2007, 12:52 am

Howdy BeamerT.

Yeah.. sounds about right. There are known issues with both engine and tranny seals. Many folks are drilling holes in the bottom of the bell housing so oil can escape...but that's a temporary patch...

There is also the possibility of the clutch slave cylinder leaking.. and as it presses the shaft forward to disengage the clutch, it may leak into the clutch housing.

So, there are 3 possible seals failing.. engine, tranny and clutch rod shaft.

There may be a recall on your particular bike.. and maybe the dealer can get in touch with BMW to help... can't hurt to ask.

Finally, if the dealer route is unaffordable, maybe someone in your area can help with some technical skills.

Over all the years of riding HD's, I've had my share of HD Horror stories... and am currently enjoying my official banishment from HD.

Best wishes!

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 21 Old Jan 29th, 2007, 8:15 am

Maintenance and repairs, as I have come to find out, can be quite expensive on the LT, mainly due to the labor hours involved in disassembling the bike to get at key components. In many cases, labor can be 80-90% of the total bill.

Something to consider is attending a tech session, watch people do maintenance, and also be walked through it.

Cheers,

Adam
2006 K1200LT 2001 Kawi KLR650
The
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wants YOU!

post #4 of 21 Old Jan 29th, 2007, 9:02 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeamerT
I bought the '03' K 1200 LT with 13,000 mi. on it and it has just turned over 17,000 mi. I love the bike. Since it`s a dry clutch, this one is history. I was informed that to repair this item would cost $1,400.00. You gotta be kiddin` me.
Though I love my LT, there is no excuse in this day and age of manufacturing for deep internal seals to go prematurely. Something was either designed/engineered wrong or was poor workmanship. Press hard and make BMW pay for as much as you can get from them. Stick to your guns, but be flexible.
post #5 of 21 Old Jan 29th, 2007, 11:10 am

Cool

Kinda reminds me of the old adage, "Ya pays yer money and takes your chances"...

Most of my many HD's were problematic in small ways......None like this one.

A few years ago after returning from a 2up ride from Sacramento to Sturgis and back my 97 Ultra with 39,431 miles on it had its pinion gear work its way thru the bottom end and destroyed my engine. Oil pump was filled with metal particles. Not a Rare occurance with Evo's I was told and found quite a few owners had suffered the same consequence.

Never lost an engine with other brands at this low mileage... Ya think after
so many years of making EVO engines they would perfect a method of metalurgy inside engines? Result, had to buy another whole engine for $3000 ! (Factory ReManufactured) + 6 hr instlalation labor. Grrrrrrrrrrrr.

I expect my BMW engine to easily go past 100K mi. unlike most HD's, but then Most HD's see very little mileage as "LifeStyle" garage jewelery...

47+ Yrs Daily Motorcycle Street riding for Therapy

2012 Victory Cross Country Tour

2007 Black Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - Sold
2007 Red Moto Guzzi Norge 1200 - Sold
2005 LT Dark Graphite - (Sold)
2005 PearlBlue FJR1300 (Sold)
3 BMW's, 8 HD baggers, 3 Goldwings & 860K + miles later
*Ridin steady since 1973

Last edited by usmctpdog; Jan 29th, 2007 at 12:12 pm.
post #6 of 21 Old Jan 29th, 2007, 11:31 am

Quote:
I`m a first time BMW owner. I`ve got a 10 year old Harley with 70,000 mi. on it. The Evolution motor has been a real strong running engine over the years. It still doesn`t leak a drop of oil. The bikes been all over the eastern US more than once and has never left me along side the road. I bought the '03' K 1200 LT with 13,000 mi. on it and it has just turned over 17,000 mi. I love the bike. It`s very fast, handles great and has lots of amenities. I began noticing a couple drops of oil underneath the engine. Nothing drastic. The service manager at Euro Cycles of Tampa Bay told me to monitor the level closely and they would address it when I brought it in for service. The other night I was coming home in 5th gear at about 3,000 rpm and rolled the throttle on. The tach redlined but the bike didn`t go any where. Come to find out, on top of the oil leak a seal went bad and transmission fluid entered the clutch chamber. Since it`s a dry clutch, this one is history. I was informed that to repair this item would cost $1,400.00. You gotta be kiddin` me. I had the clutch plates replaced on my wifes Harley for $300.00 at 60,000 mi. Sure hope this is not an indication of things to come because I truly do like the BMW, but right now my old Harley has a soft spot in my heart.
Sorry to hear about your trouble. It is the typical oil leak from the tranny or the hydraulic fluid from the slave cylinder that takes down the clutch. Since your bike is an 03, barely out of warranty, and with such a low mileage I would fight BMW to absorb most of the repair cost. Make buddy buddy with your dealer and have them contact BMWNA to get this approved. Let us know how it turn out.
A local tech session would be your next best option, as many of us wouldn't mind tearing your bike apart for you! Just make sure there are no bolts and screws left when it is all back together. . All you would need are parts and fluids. Plus coffee, donuts, and beer for the volunteers!

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #7 of 21 Old Jan 29th, 2007, 12:48 pm

Welcome to the LT world! You'll love the bike but hate the maintenance and repair costs.

On the positive side, even though I've had to repair almost all of the major system problems (ABS module, main seal leak/clutch, final drive plus the front ball joint) I would not hesitate to ride it anywhere. I've got 55k on it now and I come away from every ride admiring it. I have never held on to anything with this kind of repair history but it's such a good bike I wouldn't know what to replace it with.

Bob Chapman
Virginia
2000 K12LT
1978 CB750A (Automatic Cafe Racer Ratbike)
post #8 of 21 Old Jan 29th, 2007, 1:55 pm

Bad luck - sorry. When you have the clutch repairs done, be sure to ask that all easily accessible engine and transmission seals be replaced, and get a new clutch slave cylinder installed. Extra cost will be minimal compared to the total job, and future reliability will be enhanced.

- Bob

Cowboy Bob Menton

Greenville SC USA
'07 K1200GT, '83 R80S (nee '83 R80RT)
'86 Honda CH-250 scooter (original owner)
"You can never escape the FOG (Fast Old Guys)"
post #9 of 21 Old Jan 29th, 2007, 2:51 pm

K 1200 LT Dependable

I bought an 02 LT with 13,700 miles on it to ride two up with my wife and the bike is perfect for that. Now four months and 4k miles later I've had a throttle cable break and the shift linkage break. Looking in the threads these seem to be common problems! Maybe I'm learning the hard way or the prior owner was a bit heavy with the foot and hand however these types of breakdowns are not typical of any motorcycle I've ever ridden. I've got a CBR1000RR sitting next to the LT and I can take it out, ride the tires off it and never worry about throttle cables and shift linkage or any odd ball breakdown. The bikes are not built for the same type of riding but dependable is dependable and I'm hoping for better results out of the LT down the road. Part are super expensive and the bike is a quagmire of nuts, bolts and odd fastners, my theory is that the BMW guys hired all the guys from the Panzer tank factory after WWII and they got put on the LT design team.

Great bike for two up touring but it you can't turn a screw driver the BMW Dealer is going to retire thanking you.
post #10 of 21 Old Jan 29th, 2007, 3:26 pm
Bouncer

Quote:
Stormtrooper: Is the K1200LT Dependable?
Obi-Wan: [with a small wave of his hand] If you have to ask...
Stormtrooper: If I have to ask...
Obi-Wan: This is not the motorcycle you're looking for.
Stormtrooper: This isn't the motorcycle I am looking for.
Obi-Wan: Move along.
Stormtrooper: Move along... move along.

Sorry, I couldn't resist. The Force is strong in this one.

'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue

"I am hoping for an asteroid impact to put all this climate change nonsense to bed."
-
post #11 of 21 Old Jan 29th, 2007, 3:42 pm

With only 17K on it, BMW should cover the repair. Period
Rock
post #12 of 21 Old Jan 30th, 2007, 7:22 am

100,000 miles on BMW engines

100,000 miles on a BMW flying brick engine is easy. I know for a fact that Dave Shealey and Don Arthur have both had more than 100,000 miles, as well as here and here.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #13 of 21 Old Jan 30th, 2007, 9:12 am

I will second what Bob said. I paid for two complete repairs last year, $1500 each time, because I didn't ask them to do the main engine seal when they did the first repair for a leaking clutch slave cylinder. At least they did do the tranmission input shaft seal on the first repair.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

post #14 of 21 Old Jan 30th, 2007, 10:55 am

If I had done any research at all before buying my LT, I probably wouldn't have bought it. I relied on the "BMW", thinking it was a quality product. Perhaps I've been fooled.

Even though I haven't had any trouble with my LT in the few months, and 6000 miles I've had it, reading and hearing about the problems owners report, takes any enjoyment I might have ever had about the bike away. It might be running right now, but I'm always wondering about the next mile. Always holding my breath and puckering anytime I heard "a noise." Rear drive? Transmission? Clutch? Something in the engine? (What was it that guy in "Toledo" said went wrong with his?) Since I bought it used, there is no warranty, so anything that breaks is going to be my problem.

It reminds me of one time after I had a boat beak down on me. I never trusted that boat again and eventually got rid of it. The saving grace is that if the bike breaks down, at least I can pull off the side of the road, and call someone to come get me. A bit better than being stuck on the river I suppose.

Since I did no research, I have no one to blame but myself.

Now having said that the "logical" side of me knows that the people who report problems are the ones I hear from. The ones who don't have them, have nothing to post about. I tell myself the people who post here and on a couple of other BMW boards I read, are a very small minority of the people who even own these bikes.

It doesn't really help.
post #15 of 21 Old Jan 30th, 2007, 12:50 pm

CB -- I said exactly the same thing about my GL1800. I had a GL1500 for nine years, and I just *assumed* that the GL1800 would be the same, wonderful, well-integrating long-haul bike...just better. Then the frame weld recalls, the honked-up saddlebag latches, the stoopid cooling fans that blow the wrong way, and the general schizophrenic nature of the bike caught up with me.

I did read the MCN head-to-head between the GL1800 and the K1200LT in 2004, so when I decided to replace the 'Wing with the Beemer, I knew that the maintenance costs would be higher.

I also had two old airheads (still have the 1977, and the 1972 had 165,000 when I sold it), so I had first hand experience with the "it's a BMW" thinking. The LT is a very different bike in most respects.

Yes, BMW is very proud of their parts. The machine is very high quality--in a BMW sort of way. Hopefully, the reward will be worth the price of admission. If it's not, sell the bike and move on. It's a motorcycle, not your firstborn child.

And, I think you are correct... if you see that the majority of posts here are about the problems people have, you have to take that in the context of the bigger picture. How many people are riding thousands of trouble-free miles? It's the old adage in the commercial aviation industry: they never start the evening news with "12,678 airplanes took off and landed uneventfully today. That makes a total of over 380,000 this month alone!" You only hear about the *one* that didn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunBass
If I had done any research at all before buying my LT, I probably wouldn't have bought it. I relied on the "BMW", thinking it was a quality product. Perhaps I've been fooled.
Since I did no research, I have no one to blame but myself.

Now having said that the "logical" side of me knows that the people who report problems are the ones I hear from. The ones who don't have them, have nothing to post about. I tell myself the people who post here and on a couple of other BMW boards I read, are a very small minority of the people who even own these bikes.

It doesn't really help.
post #16 of 21 Old Jan 30th, 2007, 2:04 pm

Nothing bad to report at 70,000K. I ride it. I love it. IF it breaks I will repair it.
post #17 of 21 Old Jan 30th, 2007, 4:27 pm

BeamerT,

I have a 2000 LT I purchased in 2003 with 5K on it. It now has 62K trouble free miles. (ouch! ... knocking to hard on my head). ... well wait a minute. The stereo did crap out recently, but I can say I've had no "mechanical" problems.

I don't worry to much about things breaking. I just ride it, maintain it, and when and if it breaks.... I'll fix it.

Funny thing. Just this past weekend I had someone ask me if I would recommend the LT. Unfortunately, I could not. You see, while I love my LT, and can't think of another bike I'd replace it with, the maintenance cost - wether in money if done by the dealer, or time if done by myself - can become overwhelming. It is absolutely the right bike for me, but I can clearly see how it would not be for someone else.

Happy riding,

Bill B

2000 K1200LTC - Mighty Matilda
2003 KLR650

There are 3 kinds of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't.

post #18 of 21 Old Jan 30th, 2007, 5:48 pm

There is a major issue with LT dependability... the doggone thing won't stay in the stable!!!!!

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #19 of 21 Old Jan 30th, 2007, 8:44 pm

If you're really that worried about it, then get rid of it. You'll never be happy with it and you'll always be afraid to go anywhere on it. As for me, "I'm riding it like I stole it".

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

post #20 of 21 Old Jan 30th, 2007, 9:08 pm

The speedometer quite on my LT. Should I get it fixed or would this be a good opportunity for buying the GPS i've always dreamed of? Maybe both!

Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of the car window
Stephen Moore
02 K1200LTC Silver
02 Uni-go (skittles reborn)
1975 R75/6 Black Still running strong
BMWMOA# 122791
AMA# 711312
CCR 02,03,04,05,07,08,

post #21 of 21 Old Jan 30th, 2007, 10:41 pm Thread Starter

K1200LT Dependable?

I want to thank all who responded. You`ve all been most informative and I now feel quite enlightened when it comes to my precious LT. I work alot of hours and when the work is done I want to ride not repair. I suppose this answers the question of tech training. At this point in time a decision has to be made as to whether ownership is going to be financially feasible. Though I`m not poverty stricken my driveway isn`t a half mile long either. Thanks again.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in