First LT continued... - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Jan 28th, 2007, 8:51 pm Thread Starter

First LT continued...

Well, I've got 610 miles on her ( 2006 model purchased new last week)and she's been down twice, both times on her left side. The first time was at a stop sign with a down hill component. I was riding two up; there was a little bit of gravel under my boots. I released the brake to start a right turn and my left boot slipped on the gravel and before I could say "Uh-oh" the bike went beyond the point of control to the left side, so I had to let it fall and was able to prevent a hard impact with muscle and cursing. No damage except the rubber bumper and my pride. Of course, a dozen people behind me saw it happen. My wife and I were able to right it by pushing with our backs against the bike and using leg power.

Today, we are in southern Arizona on a B & B ride for a few days. We were making a tight 180 degree turn on a dirt road and I lost it when it hit a patch of sand at the completion of the arc. It went down on it's left side again. My wife is getting good at bailing off of this bike. Thankfully, it went down in the only soft area of the turn, so no plastic or metal cracked, only paint scratched. Again, we had witnesses which, this time, offered to help. My wife and I pushed it up again with our backs and legs. We are getting proficient at this... Some oil slipped pass the rings and when we started the engine, it smoked like crazy. Recently, in Phoenix, an LT caught fire and burned to the ground for no apparent reason. Because of that incident, I thought she was on fire so I shut her down and we ran before she blew. It's funny now, but not then...

This bike is way different than anything I have ridden before. That would be V-twins of about 550 to 650 pounds empty weight, and crotch rockets weighing about 390 to 450 pounds. The 1200 LT is a heavy beast and the CG is high; if you let it get outside a certain tilt range, you can't stop it. In hind sight, I should have purchased a used LT to get all this out of my system, before plopping down 19 grand for a 2006 model with 13 miles on her. Oh well, as some of my Iron Butt buddies say, "You bought the bike to ride long distance, not to Starbucks. It's gonna get banged up."

Even so, it's only a week old...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Jan 28th, 2007, 9:01 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Dave.... first off welcome to the LT Family. As far as the 2 drops not to worry when the "Big Girl" get tired she will lay down We all have done it. just watch tight turns at low speed and keep the front wheel straight at stops

Stevie Shreeve
post #3 of 9 Old Jan 28th, 2007, 9:15 pm

I also found that the LT was unlike anything else I had ridden, and my experience had been with mini-bikes at 10 yrs old to Harley twins at 45.

I mean no disrespect, but I would not even try a 180 degree turn on a dirt road yet, nor would I ride it 2-up for about at least a month. You need to learn and get used to it before you become responsible for another person's safety, IMO. Safety and caution is the way to go.

2010 Honda NT700V
1978 Honda CB400T II

Formerly
2011 R1200 RT
'04 R1150 RT-P
'04 R1200CLC
'06 Triumph Scrambler
'02 K1200LT
'01 R1200C Montana
'00 H-D Dyna Defender

" Twas a woman that drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her! " - W.C. Fields

post #4 of 9 Old Jan 28th, 2007, 10:03 pm Thread Starter

George S, no disrespect taken, after all its a forum. Apparently, the LT has a history of falling over at stop signs and low speed maneuvers. I guess that is why those rubber bumpers are on both sides. When riding it single pilot, it reminds me of a very large crotch rocket, as in aggressive and fairly quick. Two up with freight at a max gross weight of 1300 plus pounds is a different story, though. How is riding it two months single pilot going to help my wife's safety? I would say two months at max gross is more like it.

As far as making tight 180s on a dirt road... Well, OK, possibly your right about that. I have been doing it for years on other bikes with no problems, but maybe my wife should start asking, "Honey, do I get off now?", as I three point it around the other direction with my electric reverser.
post #5 of 9 Old Jan 28th, 2007, 10:14 pm
Super Moderator

Welcome wagon . . .

Dave,

Welcome aboard and do not fret the drops.
Remember there is a difference between a drop and a crash.
Drops usually happen at our around 0 MPH crashes are another matter.
Do not be to quick to replace the scratched parts.
Egos heal quickly but memories last a little longer.
You experienced two very common drop scenarios.
There are more out there and you should spend time reading up and avoiding them.
Riding with a pillion also makes it more difficult, so here are a few don'ts even for an experienced rider:

1. Never come to a stop with the front wheel turned and applying brakes - especially the fronts. If you want, when going slow, drag the rears.

2. Always watch for foot placements and firm ground when coming to a stop. Gravel, sand and slippery stuff are your enemy.

3. Do not even think of doing slow riding and braking as a way of manuvering in the street - especially going up hill and turning.

4. If the whale starts to go over - let her go - bike parts are cheap as compared to body parts - things like legs and backs.

Please note from experience I have personal knowledge of 2-3-4.

Now go out and read & ride . . .

Dan Finazzo
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted to get"
post #6 of 9 Old Jan 28th, 2007, 11:50 pm

welcome to the family and as far as dropping her, no worries.....we have all done it and if not, we will.

She is a dream to ride and a dream to look at(unless she is on her side )

you will love ride it more and more and more....just be safe when you are riding
post #7 of 9 Old Jan 29th, 2007, 11:46 am
was

Not to worry

4 drops in the first 4 months 4 me. Similar circumstances. None since then, but I've come close. Another piece of advice, which I first heard at the MSF course but didn't pay attention to until I re-read it on this forum, is to keep your eyes and head up. I have to force myself to look at the horizon instead of the ground just in front of the bike. I don't know why that helps, but it does.

Bill
Guilford, CT
'99 Canyon Red K1200 LT - Buddah Bike
post #8 of 9 Old Jan 29th, 2007, 12:32 pm

Smile Ride Like a Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by was
4 drops in the first 4 months 4 me. Similar circumstances. None since then, but I've come close. Another piece of advice, which I first heard at the MSF course but didn't pay attention to until I re-read it on this forum, is to keep your eyes and head up. I have to force myself to look at the horizon instead of the ground just in front of the bike. I don't know why that helps, but it does.
I have had 3 MSF courses over the last 25 yrs. The Palladino "Ride Like a Pro IV" DVD I just viewed was the best in explaining and demonstrating methods for handling a large motorcycle. I highly recommend this for anyone with a large motorcycle such as the LT.
post #9 of 9 Old Jan 29th, 2007, 10:13 pm Thread Starter

I have ordered the Ride Like a Pro 4 DVD; thank you.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in