I need a little help. - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old Jan 27th, 2007, 10:41 pm Thread Starter

I need a little help.

I am attempting to run a cable from my Baehr com. system to a Ram mount on the fluid reservoir on my left handle bar. I am putting my Treo on the Ram mount and I hope to run the cable inside my plastic handle bar cover and then back to the Baehr control box under the driver's seat. Will I have to remove the plastic? Any help will be appreciated. I'm hoping a thread exists that I can read. I just haven't found it.

Doug Allison
2006 LT
BMW MOA #129428
IBA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old Jan 28th, 2007, 3:40 am

You mean will you have to remove the plastic handlebar cover? Yes. Both screws that hold the halves together. If you mean some other plastic...I dunno.
post #3 of 21 Old Jan 28th, 2007, 8:51 am Thread Starter

fairing removal

Yes, I will have to remove handle bar cover. What I am hoping to avoid, but think I cannot, is removing one complete side of the upper fairing. So, I'm just wondering if anyone knows of a way I can get the cable from up at the handle bars to the Baehr controls under the driver seat without all of that undoing and redoing party which I hope to avoid. The local dealer will charge me probably 2 hours labor to do it for me. At $80/hr, I want to avoid that also.
Thanks for replying. I can see a garage floor full of small K1200LT parts in my near future.

Doug Allison
2006 LT
BMW MOA #129428
IBA

post #4 of 21 Old Jan 28th, 2007, 8:54 am

I have the same intercom system with all the cables plugged up for different devices. I removed the left or right side tupperware to route the cables below the radio stingray and up through the handle bars or up to the map light hole. I have the sat radio cable coming out the map light hole and to the radio, same for the radar detector. The devices on each handle bar run up through the bar. The only cable that does not run up the handle bar is the cell phone cable which runs to the tank bag. If you want the wires hidden you have to get under or around the radio stingray removing the side panels is the easiest way. Good luck.

looking around for a possible replacement

2001 K1200 LTC Mauve (Hi-Way Star) may she rest in peace!

CCR'2001 Hotsprings, AR., Sante Fe, NM., Gatlinberg, TN.
Breckinridge, CO., Grand Teton Nat. Prk, WY.
Chateau Elan, GA., Tan-a-Tar-A missed it!
post #5 of 21 Old Jan 28th, 2007, 8:59 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddallison
Yes, I will have to remove handle bar cover. What I am hoping to avoid, but think I cannot, is removing one complete side of the upper fairing. So, I'm just wondering if anyone knows of a way I can get the cable from up at the handle bars to the Baehr controls under the driver seat without all of that undoing and redoing party which I hope to avoid. The local dealer will charge me probably 2 hours labor to do it for me. At $80/hr, I want to avoid that also.
Thanks for replying. I can see a garage floor full of small K1200LT parts in my near future.
Doug ..... first welcome to the forum....second yes remove the left side upper tupperware it is very easy and makes the job 100% easyer to do

Stevie Shreeve
post #6 of 21 Old Jan 28th, 2007, 9:30 am

Quote:
I am attempting to run a cable from my Baehr com. system to a Ram mount on the fluid reservoir on my left handle bar. I am putting my Treo on the Ram mount and I hope to run the cable inside my plastic handle bar cover and then back to the Baehr control box under the driver's seat. Will I have to remove the plastic? Any help will be appreciated. I'm hoping a thread exists that I can read. I just haven't found it.
Hey, Doug - you gotta bunch of good folks in your 'hood that'll give ya some help with the tupperware removal for cable routing - just ping 'em for their next tech session and you'll be surprised how good a job they'll do for dang near nuttin'!! Plus, instead of spending 80 bones an hour at the dealer on routine maintenance and removal/replacement of parts, order a set of DVDs from Paul Sayegh (site search will return an order link for ya) and you'll find those to be indispensable in doing some of the rather easy DIY wrenching on your scoot.

Also, there is a website devoted to tupperware removal/replace that includes some pretty good pictures of the process. It's here on the site as a link, I believe. If I find it soon, I'll ping ya.

Good luck, Doug.

Edit: I found the link, Doug. Click here.

Last edited by Dick; Jan 28th, 2007 at 9:35 am. Reason: Add info.
post #7 of 21 Old Jan 28th, 2007, 11:41 am

Quote:
You should only have to remove the top cover of the handlebar you want to use.
Get a flashlight and look between the radiators. You'll see an opening just inboard of the right radiator (right/left as you sit on the bike). Straighten a coat-hanger and fish it into that opening. The coat hanger will come out right in front of the battery. Attach your cable to the coat-hanger and pull it to the front of the bike. At the front of the bike, if you look up, you'll see where the wires and hoses go into the handlebar covers. Fish your cable up to the handlebar and make sure you leave enough slack below the handlebar to allow the handlebar movement.

Bruce Hodges
post #8 of 21 Old Jan 28th, 2007, 3:50 pm Thread Starter

Thanks and Happy Birthday

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrehder
I have the same intercom system with all the cables plugged up for different devices. I removed the left or right side tupperware to route the cables below the radio stingray and up through the handle bars or up to the map light hole. I have the sat radio cable coming out the map light hole and to the radio, same for the radar detector. The devices on each handle bar run up through the bar. The only cable that does not run up the handle bar is the cell phone cable which runs to the tank bag. If you want the wires hidden you have to get under or around the radio stingray removing the side panels is the easiest way. Good luck.
Thanks for the help and a very Happy Birthday, (yesterday). I bought my LT on ebay last fall. It already had a GPS on it, front and center of the very top of the bike's shell, left of the fuel tank filler. I am trying to read all the help offered and go forward.

Doug Allison
2006 LT
BMW MOA #129428
IBA
post #9 of 21 Old Jan 28th, 2007, 5:50 pm Thread Starter

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
Hey, Doug - you gotta bunch of good folks in your 'hood that'll give ya some help with the tupperware removal for cable routing - just ping 'em for their next tech session and you'll be surprised how good a job they'll do for dang near nuttin'!! Plus, instead of spending 80 bones an hour at the dealer on routine maintenance and removal/replacement of parts, order a set of DVDs from Paul Sayegh (site search will return an order link for ya) and you'll find those to be indispensable in doing some of the rather easy DIY wrenching on your scoot.

Also, there is a website devoted to tupperware removal/replace that includes some pretty good pictures of the process. It's here on the site as a link, I believe. If I find it soon, I'll ping ya.

Good luck, Doug.

Edit: I found the link, Doug. Click here.
Thanks for the info on removal of the fairing. I will contact the guys in the area. You are very helpful. God bless.

Doug Allison
2006 LT
BMW MOA #129428
IBA
post #10 of 21 Old Jan 28th, 2007, 6:12 pm Thread Starter

fishing

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce2000ltc
You should only have to remove the top cover of the handlebar you want to use.
Get a flashlight and look between the radiators. You'll see an opening just inboard of the right radiator (right/left as you sit on the bike). Straighten a coat-hanger and fish it into that opening. The coat hanger will come out right in front of the battery. Attach your cable to the coat-hanger and pull it to the front of the bike. At the front of the bike, if you look up, you'll see where the wires and hoses go into the handlebar covers. Fish your cable up to the handlebar and make sure you leave enough slack below the handlebar to allow the handlebar movement.

Bruce Hodges
Thanks for the info Bruce. Will I have a problem with a loose cable running up through the bike if I fish it this way?

Doug Allison
2006 LT
BMW MOA #129428
IBA
post #11 of 21 Old Jan 28th, 2007, 8:46 pm

Quote:
Thanks for the info Bruce. Will I have a problem with a loose cable running up through the bike if I fish it this way?
Lots of guys on this site have done it this way; from power cables for lights to audio cables. I've never heard of anyone having a problem. I installed a Baehr in my friends '05 LT and I ran his cell phone and radar detector cables this way and 30,000 miles later all is well.
I'm not sure but I believe Mark Neblett came up with this idea.

Bruce Hodges
post #12 of 21 Old Jan 28th, 2007, 8:55 pm

Come on over . . .

I understand just where you're coming from. . . I bought my LT at the beginning of December, and it took me almost six weeks of hand-wringing and stressing before I finally got up the whatever to tape the tupperware off to run a cable. After I did, I wondered what all of the fuss was about!

I'm just up the road from you in Coppell. If you want to come by one evening, or a weekend morning, I'll be happy to go through it with you and help you get that cable run. Before you know it, you'll be making the same offer to someone else.

Drop me a PM or email when you're ready.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 21 Old Jan 28th, 2007, 10:09 pm

Tech Session????

Quote:
Originally Posted by deputy5211
I'm just up the road from you in Coppell. If you want to come by one evening, or a weekend morning, I'll be happy to go through it with you and help you get that cable run. Before you know it, you'll be making the same offer to someone else.

Drop me a PM or email when you're ready.
Hey Tony,

Are you hinting at a tech session? I could use some help with getting this gal undressed and installing the new HID, Horn, and additional LEDs, and then redressed. Heck with all that work, I'll have to take her out and show her a good time afterwards. Not up the road from ya, but across the road from ya. Maybe we could hit the local Hard 8 by you afterwards and compare to Stephenville.
post #14 of 21 Old Jan 28th, 2007, 10:10 pm Thread Starter

I appreciate you guys

To all of you who have been so helpful...I am most grateful for two primary reasons.
1. You are giving me very good advice.
2. You are giving me the courage to do something I have not done before.

Again, thank you from the bottom of my heart, or is that the heart of my bottom? Whichever, I am so pleased to have joined this site. You are great.

Doug Allison
2006 LT
BMW MOA #129428
IBA
post #15 of 21 Old Jan 29th, 2007, 12:06 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithTxDallas
Hey Tony,

Are you hinting at a tech session? I could use some help with getting this gal undressed and installing the new HID, Horn, and additional LEDs, and then redressed. Heck with all that work, I'll have to take her out and show her a good time afterwards. Not up the road from ya, but across the road from ya. Maybe we could hit the local Hard 8 by you afterwards and compare to Stephenville.

Uuuuuuuuh. . . No. What I mean is that I, even on my best day, have no delusions of having enough knowledge, experience, or expertise on the LT to host a tech session.

That said, I have installed a couple of intercoms, HID, aux. fuse panel, and MotoLights. I've also installed some LEDs, brake flashers, and upgraded the turn signals to running lights. I consider myself pretty handy and I sweat the details.

What I was thinking was if Doug, you, or anyone else want to come by, I can share with you what I have learned, help you avoid some of the pitfalls encountered, and hopefully save you some time and colorful metaphors. If the WX is good, maybe the three of us can meet over here Saturday morning, take off the tupperware, and git 'er done. We should have some fun, enjoy some fellowship, and have some time left over for a bit of riding.

I want to install the horn, replace the instrument panel bulbs with LEDs, and clean up some of the old wiring (remembering to put di-electric grease on EVERY connector I come across).

The Hard-8 down the street is still under construction. They've got the shell about finished and are working inside. BUT. . . The old Coppell Deli a couple of doors down from them makes an incredible burger (and tots, and . . . ). It's always a crowd pleaser.

But let's just not call it a tech session.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #16 of 21 Old Jan 29th, 2007, 12:07 am

Quote:
Again, thank you from the bottom of my heart, or is that the heart of my bottom?
I'm hoping it's the former, not the latter.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs

and many, many others.

post #17 of 21 Old Jan 29th, 2007, 12:31 am

Tech session.. hmmm sounds like fun!

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #18 of 21 Old Jan 29th, 2007, 1:40 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfell
Tech session.. hmmm sounds like fun!
Now Channing, didn't you see where I said we can't call it a tech session and why? Hmmm? [evil laughter] But then, if you come, then we can. Of course,

Of course. . . you and your lovely bride are welcome to stay with us and have your choice of rooms. We've got plenty of space here, even with all of the "stuff" everywhere. If we pick a weekend that you're off-duty, we can have a morning tech session and then go do something nice with the wives. It's about time for Gina to have a spa day, and I imagine Phyllis would enjoy that as well. When they get back, we should be done and ready to ride!

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs

and many, many others.

post #19 of 21 Old Jan 29th, 2007, 9:22 pm

Git 'er Done Day

Tony,

I am not delusional yet as well, but some think I might be a little crazy. Oh well........... My weather forecaster (guesser) is saying clear with sun, highs in the 40's low in the 30's for this Saturday. I rode this morning with the temp at 32 and back this afternoon with mid 40's. Wonderful day for a ride.
If my "guesser" holds true, then maybe we can set a time for the Git 'er done session, excuse me......event.

Let me know what I need to bring in way of tools, if any, etc. I got a few, but not up and running with all the LT required stuff yet.

Thanks!

Quote:
Uuuuuuuuh. . . No. What I mean is that I, even on my best day, have no delusions of having enough knowledge, experience, or expertise on the LT to host a tech session.

That said, I have installed a couple of intercoms, HID, aux. fuse panel, and MotoLights. I've also installed some LEDs, brake flashers, and upgraded the turn signals to running lights. I consider myself pretty handy and I sweat the details.

What I was thinking was if Doug, you, or anyone else want to come by, I can share with you what I have learned, help you avoid some of the pitfalls encountered, and hopefully save you some time and colorful metaphors. If the WX is good, maybe the three of us can meet over here Saturday morning, take off the tupperware, and git 'er done. We should have some fun, enjoy some fellowship, and have some time left over for a bit of riding.

I want to install the horn, replace the instrument panel bulbs with LEDs, and clean up some of the old wiring (remembering to put di-electric grease on EVERY connector I come across).

The Hard-8 down the street is still under construction. They've got the shell about finished and are working inside. BUT. . . The old Coppell Deli a couple of doors down from them makes an incredible burger (and tots, and . . . ). It's always a crowd pleaser.

But let's just not call it a tech session.
post #20 of 21 Old Jan 29th, 2007, 9:35 pm

If we start at 0900, we should be quite done by lunch. My garage is crammed full, so we'll be working in the drive (which is flat). Gonna be chilly, but we'll be fine. Talked with Doug, he's up for it.

I just need to confirm details with Guido, as Saturday is his fourteenth birthday. He'll either spend the night at his mom's place Friday, or he'll be sleeping in until noon. Either way, we should be fine as long as we start early, and still have time to do a leetle ride.

I should have all of the tools we'll need. Be sure to bring some old wire coat hangers to make twist-ties out of, and, oh, don't forget to bring a frsh roll of duct tape so we can rig 'em up just right and purdy.

Maybe Pete will bring his shiny new cage over and we can slip on that fancy new exhaust while we're a-farklin'.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs

and many, many others.

post #21 of 21 Old Jan 29th, 2007, 10:02 pm

Quote:
I should have all of the tools we'll need. Be sure to bring some old wire coat hangers to make twist-ties out of, and, oh, don't forget to bring a frsh roll of duct tape so we can rig 'em up just right and purdy.
Bailing wire (coat hangers) and duct tape....... Now ya talk'in. You can fix anythang with those fix'ins, plus a leetle W....D for the squeaks. Man, we will have this gal lookin might smart. I can pull the xtree parts over in the Radio Flyer behind the bike. I'll stablize the tongue with an xtree rap of twine so it should pull just fine.

This Sat - 0900 sounds good, if the wx doesn't go south.

I'll check with ya later in the week and get a pointer to your 20.

Dangs!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in