15 degrees, almost summer - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old Jan 26th, 2007, 7:37 am Thread Starter

15 degrees, almost summer

When my alarm went off at 4:30 this morning and I saw 15 degrees on the outside thermo meter I thought that it might be a chilly ride this morning. However, the last time I rode in temps that low I was riding my '79 GS750 Suzuki with no windshield and no heated ANYTHING. I drove it 45 minutes to my job and spent the rest of the day rethawing. This morning I'm on my LT, heated grips, heated seats, windshield, and other weathewr protection, and I didn't even need my Gerbing heated glove liners or socks. My fingertips got a little numb, and my toes started to get a little cold, but it was nothing worth worrying about. Now people are thinking I'm a candidate for the happy farm and I have to explain that I just ain't that cold.
Cheers for the LT and it's wonderful protection!
\
Robin

Robin
Augusta, GA
2002 K1200LT Purple (Mauve)
83 R100RT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old Jan 26th, 2007, 7:52 am

Although you are correct that the LT is awesome compared to most bikes for this type of riding, I don't understand why you didn't at least put on your heated glove liners. Allowing your finger tips to get "a little numb" is not the smartest thing to do. Especially seeing how proper functionality of one's hands is fairly crucial during the operation of a motorcycle. I know your ride is only 45 minutes...but still. 15į is too cold for the heated grips to be effective. Just some food for thought.
post #3 of 16 Old Jan 26th, 2007, 8:59 am

Joe, I know why he's not complaining 15 is a heat wave it was 5 above here this morning. Can't wait for my HID to arrive so I can work on it in my unheated garage. That should put some spring in my step.

Pat Rourke
White Lake,MI.
2002 K1200 LTC, Champange

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 16 Old Jan 26th, 2007, 9:53 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by patroa1
Joe, I know why he's not complaining 15 is a heat wave it was 5 above here this morning. Can't wait for my HID to arrive so I can work on it in my unheated garage. That should put some spring in my step.
Yeah it was 6 here this morning, and my K75 left outside would not start , (well not without me standing in the cold messing with it ) so I open the garage door and got the LT out. Fired right up and off we went.
I don't use heated gloves, I use bar end mitts, but you have to know your machine.
Rock
post #5 of 16 Old Jan 26th, 2007, 11:56 am

Last saturday I did 150 miles in 19 degrees. Roads were dry but had a fun time getting the bike thru the snow in the drive. January in Iowa!

Doug
'05 K1200LT,
My dog is very selective where he will pee, yet he will poop anywhere. In that regard; we couldnít be more different.
post #6 of 16 Old Jan 26th, 2007, 12:05 pm

You rippin off Free Wheelin Franklin, One of the Fury Freak brothers
with that tag line
Rock
post #7 of 16 Old Jan 26th, 2007, 12:29 pm

Oh hell ya, Iím not above stealing stuff off the net. You should see the naked pictures Iíve copied.

Is he the original to that quote?
Iíve heard it so many ways being it fishing, boating or any other activity.

Doug
'05 K1200LT,
My dog is very selective where he will pee, yet he will poop anywhere. In that regard; we couldnít be more different.
post #8 of 16 Old Jan 26th, 2007, 1:00 pm Thread Starter

My hands didn't start getting cold until the end of the ride. I woulda turned around and gotten my 'lectric liners if they had gotten cold early on, but the grip heaters worked just fine despite the ambient temp and wind chill.

Robin

Robin
Augusta, GA
2002 K1200LT Purple (Mauve)
83 R100RT
post #9 of 16 Old Jan 26th, 2007, 2:05 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallsCasten
Oh hell ya, Iím not above stealing stuff off the net. You should see the naked pictures Iíve copied.

Is he the original to that quote?
Iíve heard it so many ways being it fishing, boating or any other activity.
What? Not a Fabulous Furry Freak Brother's fan?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Grok
post #10 of 16 Old Jan 26th, 2007, 2:18 pm

I guess Iím going to get accosted for this Ö I donít know who they are? Remember I'm in Iowa, we just got one of them new McDonalds fast food restaurants in town.

Doug
'05 K1200LT,
post #11 of 16 Old Jan 26th, 2007, 2:30 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleRock
You rippin off Free Wheelin Franklin, One of the Fury Freak brothers
with that tag line
Rock
I haven't heard mention of them in about 25 years or more. That was some funny stuff.
post #12 of 16 Old Jan 26th, 2007, 2:49 pm

Winter here. Near 70į.......

Ride On!

Goodyear, AZ
"Yeah but its a warm heat!"

'13 SILVA K1600GTL
post #13 of 16 Old Jan 26th, 2007, 3:01 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin
When my alarm went off at 4:30 this morning and I saw 15 degrees on the outside thermo meter I thought that it might be a chilly ride this morning. However, the last time I rode in temps that low I was riding my '79 GS750 Suzuki with no windshield and no heated ANYTHING. I drove it 45 minutes to my job and spent the rest of the day rethawing. This morning I'm on my LT, heated grips, heated seats, windshield, and other weathewr protection, and I didn't even need my Gerbing heated glove liners or socks. My fingertips got a little numb, and my toes started to get a little cold, but it was nothing worth worrying about. Now people are thinking I'm a candidate for the happy farm and I have to explain that I just ain't that cold.
Cheers for the LT and it's wonderful protection!
\
Robin
Robin,

Anyone going to Ego Alley Sunday for coffee? Might venture over since the Virginia Breakfast RTE was changed to lunch.

Dave

2003 K1200LTC Titan Silver
BMWBMW, BMWMOA, AMA, IBA

post #14 of 16 Old Jan 26th, 2007, 8:07 pm

I hear remarks all the time. My answer is always, what is the difference between this and my snowmobile other then tires. There is usually no answer and it leaves them thinking lol.
post #15 of 16 Old Jan 26th, 2007, 8:23 pm

I get the funny looks, and the "Did you ride your bike TODAY? (Actually it's more often "Tonight" since I work shift work and I'm either coming or going in the dark.) Then during the shift, someone will come in and say something like "It sure is cold out tonight." I think they expect me to break down and cry or something. When I tell them for the umpteenth time "I have heated grips, heated seats, a heated vest, heated gloves, a full face helmet and a snowmobile suit." I get "Oh. I guess that does help."

And that's when it's in the 30's. We don't get a lot of 'teens, round here.
post #16 of 16 Old Jan 27th, 2007, 7:38 am

He He it was 41 deg c here in sunny Perth today, nearly too hot for ridin
perhaps you could send us down some of that cold stuf and we could send back some of this warm stuff and we could both be really comfy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in