Sticking front brake calliper - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Jan 25th, 2007, 3:41 pm Thread Starter

Sticking front brake calliper

My n/side front calliper is sticking, its the integral type, ie-bmw not brembro, it has slackened off, & i have cleaned it up, & it is working fine, but from past experience once this happens, it is just a matter of time before it re occurs,
Has anyone fitted an overhaul kit on one of these??, if so advice will be gratefully recieved, also can the brake hose be clamped, then the one calliper bled on completion of task, using the brake lever?, or is it more complicated.
Regards
Stevie
K1200LT/SE 2003-24500miles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Jan 25th, 2007, 3:58 pm

I can't offer any advice on rebuilding the calipers. However, I had a very similar problem last spring when I went to replace the tires. My first indication that there was a problem was when I removed the brake pads before removing the front tire. One of the pads was worn down to metal and I noticed a large amount of brake dust on the rubber boot of the caliper. I cleaned the dust off with brake cleaner and a tooth brush. I ordered a set of the EBC sintered metal pads to replace the stock BMW pads. I have put almost 7k on the bike since that time and have not seen any other problems with the caliper sticking. I later flushed the brake system without any difficulties or should I say that I assisted with the brake flush (thanks Deacon!). I don't think that there is a good way to rebuild the caliper without having to bleed the brakes, something that I would leave to a dealer.

You might want to see if the problem re-occurs after thoroughly cleaning the affected caliper. YMMV.

ďRes ipsa loquitur, sed quid in infernos dicet?Ē

Alan Stuber
2003 K1200 LTC Titan Silver
Austin, Texas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 Old Jan 25th, 2007, 4:43 pm

Brake rebuild

I have rebuilt Brembo brakes and the BMW ones look very similar. Each kit will probaly have new bolts - old ones have to be discarded, a small O ring to seal the brake fluid passage and new seals. Break the caliper into 2 halves by undoing the bolts, use air from afoot pump to 'blow' out the old pistons, replace seals, coat with brake fluid and insert pistons, use new bolts to join 2 halves together remebering to put the O ring in place, mount caliper on bike so you can get the right torque applied.

There are no dust seals on the BMW brakes so they need to be cleaned fairly regularly - I find applying some red silicone grease to the piston helps keep them clean.

Graham Wintersgill
On the bonnnie bonnie banks of Loch Lomond

2001 K1200LT

1995 K75RT now deceased

post #4 of 11 Old Jan 25th, 2007, 4:51 pm
fas

warning

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevie1
My n/side front calliper is sticking, its the integral type, ie-bmw not brembro, it has slackened off, & i have cleaned it up, & it is working fine, but from past experience once this happens, it is just a matter of time before it re occurs,
Has anyone fitted an overhaul kit on one of these??, if so advice will be gratefully recieved, also can the brake hose be clamped, then the one calliper bled on completion of task, using the brake lever?, or is it more complicated.
Regards
Stevie
K1200LT/SE 2003-24500miles.
Interesting warning from Brembo FYI.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Brembo_pad change warning.pdf (15.5 KB, 154 views)

Rob Nelson

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2006 K1200GT [now lives in Wisconsin]
Grey Goose
2002 K1200LTC [now lives in Georgia]
Toscana Temptress

More than 132,000 (recently corrected higher) motorcycle riders have died in traffic crashes since the enactment of the Highway Safety Act of 1966 and The National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1966. Be careful out there.
post #5 of 11 Old Jan 25th, 2007, 5:29 pm

Sticky Brakes

Forgot to say that yes you can use a brake line clamp or a vise grip with a couple of sockets over the jaws. As for bleeding the brakes afterwards be careful. There is an article in the HOW about bleeding the powered brakes - sounds worse than it is. PM me if you want to talk this over the phone.

Graham Wintersgill
On the bonnnie bonnie banks of Loch Lomond

2001 K1200LT

1995 K75RT now deceased
post #6 of 11 Old Jan 25th, 2007, 7:33 pm

On a 03LT my right side inner brake pad wore down twice as far as the outer and left side . When I had the bike in for brake service and pointed this out to the service manager he started the music so he could do his dance, and say that some how it must be my fault. As far as I am concerned the caliper is defective but BMW gets to sell more brake pads. It is interesting that more people are having the same problem.

DON
post #7 of 11 Old Jan 25th, 2007, 7:59 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Don,

The inner pads always seem to wear more than the outers, but you have a bad caliper if it has worm more than half more. I have a typical difference of only 0.025 " after 25K.

That is a typical statement by some of the lesser dealers.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #8 of 11 Old Jan 26th, 2007, 2:15 am Thread Starter

sticking brake calliper

Gentlemen
When i say my calliper was sticking, i mean it was sticking, ie-it was binding on the disk, when this occurs you will always get uneven brake pad wear as a result.
My main concern is-can i bleed the calliper after installing an overhaul kit(these are a bmw supplied kit), using the handlebar brake lever, or is it a more complicated method??, i would intend to clamp the flexible hose adjacent to the calliper, upon completion this would leave a small amount of air to be displaced, at the calliper.
Many thanks for all replies to date.
Stevie

Maybe i should just go to the beach, & get myself an RT.
post #9 of 11 Old Jan 26th, 2007, 7:50 am

Quote:
Gentlemen
My main concern is-can i bleed the calliper after installing an overhaul kit(these are a bmw supplied kit), using the handlebar brake lever, or is it a more complicated method??, i would intend to clamp the flexible hose adjacent to the calliper, upon completion this would leave a small amount of air to be displaced, at the calliper.
Many thanks for all replies to date.
Stevie
Steve,
As long as you do not have the electric brakes, the bleeding should not be a problem (it is all one system). You can fill the master cylinder and let gravity do its thing.
Wait and see if others agree with my statement as I have a 2000LT and I can bleed the brakes by gravity.

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT
2000 LT - Totaled at 99,960 miles

post #10 of 11 Old Jan 26th, 2007, 9:43 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
Gentlemen
My main concern is-can i bleed the calliper after installing an overhaul kit(these are a bmw supplied kit), using the handlebar brake lever, or is it a more complicated method.
Take a look at the old BMWLT site for this post by Mark Neblett. He describes the procedure for your brake system. It is a bit more complicated than the pre-integral systems as the fluid in the handle bar reservoir never goes to the caliper. There is a separate reservoir for the integral pump that feeds the caliper. Have a good read and decide for yourself if you are capable or this needs to be done by the dealer.

http://www.bmwlt.net/ubbthreads/show...&sb=5&o=0&vc=1

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #11 of 11 Old Jan 28th, 2007, 6:07 am Thread Starter

sticking brake calliper

Gentlemen
Decided to go easy route first, removed calliper & extended each piston individually (calliper still connected to system), cleaned muck from each piston so they are spotless, lubricated with a silicone spray, checked that each piston functioning, then put back on bike, pads are evenly worn, & were changed out by myself approx 5000miles ago, there are no external seals, on the pistons, (or so it appears), as a result it is only a matter of time before the pistons gum up, unless of coures you only ride on dry days on clean roads, which is impossible in the UK.
There does not appear to be any maintenance for the callipers built into the service schedule!!, i for one will be cleaning the callipers/pistons on an annual basis from now on, possibly more frequently.
Many thanks for the replies.
Regards
Stevie
Particular thanks to GRAHAMW of Dumbarton UK

Last edited by stevie1; Jan 28th, 2007 at 6:10 am. Reason: addition-particular thanks to Grahamw of Dumbarton Scotland

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in