We have joy... thank you Brian! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Jan 24th, 2007, 8:25 pm Thread Starter

We have joy... thank you Brian!

Thank you, Brian. The fresh battery seems to have solved almost all my problems. I still don't quite believe the temp on the BC, but she fired right up. Charging system appears happy.

I think it musta been a combination of the trunk light and not leaving the bike with the key in OFF.

Gotta break them Goldwing habits.

Still have a couple other things to work on... I gotta hook the PIAAs back up, I seem to have a bit of rattling tupper, I need to get the rear suspension set, and the footpeg extensions have got to go. Then she'll be ready for serious action.

Thanks again,
juggler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Jan 24th, 2007, 11:22 pm

After working on my LT a couple of times, the temp gauge took a day or two to start working properly. I'm expecting the same out of yours.
post #3 of 10 Old Jan 25th, 2007, 12:04 am

Victor,
I had a feeling the battery would correct most of your problems. As for the temp, I believe Joe to be right. Give it time to learn and settle down. Give me a holler when you have time and we can go through some LT specific do's and do nots. You missed a good dinner tonight and some nice weather for riding.

Brian Ley
WA State of mindless sheep
USA where everything is illegal
2007 K1200GT
2010 650GS
2000 k1200LT Sold but not forgotten
BMWOA 119892

post #4 of 10 Old Jan 25th, 2007, 8:38 am

How would a temp sensor ďlearnĒ a correct setting? I could understand how it could reset once, but gradually learn?

Doug
'05 K1200LT,
My dog is very selective where he will pee, yet he will poop anywhere. In that regard; we couldnít be more different.
post #5 of 10 Old Jan 25th, 2007, 9:49 am Thread Starter

I suspect you might be open to bribes to help me install the HID on a nice weekend in the near future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjaun2
Victor,
I had a feeling the battery would correct most of your problems. As for the temp, I believe Joe to be right. Give it time to learn and settle down. Give me a holler when you have time and we can go through some LT specific do's and do nots. You missed a good dinner tonight and some nice weather for riding.
post #6 of 10 Old Jan 25th, 2007, 9:53 am Thread Starter

As long as we're on the subject...

...where *is* the temp sensor that feeds the BC? My first guess is that it is whatever the Motronic is using for ambient air temp or intake air temp.

OTOH, on my Mercedes, it's a separate sensor in the front bumper which is subject to the sun beating down on it or heat rising off the pavement, so it isn't accurate until the car has been moving for a while. I frequently see triple-digit temps on the gauge when the real outside temp is in the 80s.
post #7 of 10 Old Jan 25th, 2007, 10:11 am

The temp sensor on my '03 is under the front fairing directly below the headlight. Don't know if they moved it on any other year models.

Brett

Get busy livin' or get busy dyin'!

2003 BMW K1200LTC "El Gato Grande"
1993 Suzuki GSXR1100W
1978 Suzuki GS1000C 'Project'
post #8 of 10 Old Jan 25th, 2007, 10:19 am

The sensor is located in the front of the bike, Look under the nose cowl between the forks. It will be a little black probe with a connector hooked to it. I am sure we can assist you with the hid install.
Ballscasten, I should have used "" on my "learn" Why does the engine management system "learn" your driving habits. I had my car chipped and it smoked a little until the car had time to "learn" its new fueling parameters and then it was fine. Everyone else who had there car chipped did the same thing. Are the computers and electronics so smart that they actually learn? NO. It just must be P.F.M.

Brian Ley
WA State of mindless sheep
USA where everything is illegal
2007 K1200GT
2010 650GS
2000 k1200LT Sold but not forgotten
BMWOA 119892
post #9 of 10 Old Jan 25th, 2007, 10:22 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallsCasten
How would a temp sensor ďlearnĒ a correct setting? I could understand how it could reset once, but gradually learn?
It does not really "learn" anything. It uses a slow sample rate and updates by some ratio of the difference. So starting at -41 when ambient is 80 and the sample rate is 5 minutes and the ratio is 1/2 (not sure what they use) the first change will be to 10 then at the second 5 minute interval it would update to 45 and so on until it got to 80. Makes it appear to "learn".

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 10 Old Jan 25th, 2007, 10:49 am

Your car learns your driving habits by monitoring fuel/air as compared to vacuum and speed. But in those cases, it has a target or calibration to meet.
And I think I understand jzeiler in that the temp is an average. But I donít understand how it could change over a couple days.

Iím not arguing just trying to understand. Mine is very sporadic some days itís off 10 degrees, some days its off 2.

Doug
'05 K1200LT,
My dog is very selective where he will pee, yet he will poop anywhere. In that regard; we couldnít be more different.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in