07 versus 06 - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 4:36 pm Thread Starter

07 versus 06

I saw in the bike talk forum that BMW is going to extend the promotion that they ran last month through Feburary. I was planning on making the purchase next month, because I think that will be a good time to make a deal (cold - dealers a little hungrier). Also, that is when I will have the money socked away (outside of the view of the wife) for the down payment.

I am roughly equal distance from three dealers (70 - 90 miles), so I may be able to locate an 06 to take advantage of the deal. However, before I do that I want to be sure I understand the difference between the 07 and the 06. Were there any upgrades that I will be missing? If so, what are they?

BTW, great forum. I've spent a lot of time lurking, reading and learning. I've taken out an LT for a test run and was amazed at how much better it handled than my HD. I'll be keeping the HD, I just love that bike. The LT will be more for two up riding and long distance riding.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 4:45 pm

Funny, I too have an LT and a HD, and originally I was going to keep them both too. BUT, since I got the LT, I hardly ever ride my Harley, and this spring I am going to sell it!! Welcome to the group. jrlakin
post #3 of 11 Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 6:50 pm

Even funnier. My Hd did not last a month. Still a fan though!

post #4 of 11 Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 7:52 pm

I picked up a new '05 back in June as a leftover and got a fantastic deal... had two dealers in a bidding war for identical bikes!
From '05-'06 I think they made the luggage rack standard equipment and I believe they added HID headlight. I'm not sure about '06-'07 changes, but if you can do a deal on a leftover, you can save a bundle.

Good luck!

BTW, My first upgrade is HID headlight.

Joe
2005 BMW K1200LT
2007 Ducati Monster S4Rs
post #5 of 11 Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 8:36 pm

07 vs 06

The one difference I know about is the addition of the communication system in 07 and the price really did not go up. The communication system installed on an 06 was over $1500.00.
post #6 of 11 Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 9:02 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by VADIVER
I saw in the bike talk forum that BMW is going to extend the promotion that they ran last month through Feburary. I was planning on making the purchase next month, because I think that will be a good time to make a deal (cold - dealers a little hungrier). Also, that is when I will have the money socked away (outside of the view of the wife) for the down payment.

I am roughly equal distance from three dealers (70 - 90 miles), so I may be able to locate an 06 to take advantage of the deal. However, before I do that I want to be sure I understand the difference between the 07 and the 06. Were there any upgrades that I will be missing? If so, what are they?

BTW, great forum. I've spent a lot of time lurking, reading and learning. I've taken out an LT for a test run and was amazed at how much better it handled than my HD. I'll be keeping the HD, I just love that bike. The LT will be more for two up riding and long distance riding.
Welcome Don,

Good luck if the three dealers are Bob's, Morton's and Battley's. But, it hasn't been that cold yet and February could be another story.

Dave

2003 K1200LTC Titan Silver
BMWBMW, BMWMOA, AMA, IBA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 11 Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 9:46 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by VADIVER
2007's have new colors..specifically a more vibrant blue. The Nav system prep comes standard and the Soft seat is a no cost option. The intercom (Voice II), halogen light, and convenience package were standard on most of the 2006 models...only the early year ones lacked these features. If you opt for an '06 make sure it is one with all the features. As for the '07 upgrades...unless you have your heart set on Biarritz Blue or pure Black..the Nav prep and soft seat are not a big deal. If you read the forum, a lot of people change out the seat regardless. The Nav prep is worth about $200 if you want a Navigator system.

Good luck. Either way, you have no idea how great a machine this is until you have one.

Duane
Mag Black 2006 LT

Three loves - motorcycles, good wine, and contrabassoon...none of which mix. Engineer by day to pay for them all.
post #8 of 11 Old Jan 23rd, 2007, 5:33 am

James-
What kind of HD you selling? just curious

I rode to West Lafayette for the Badger game this year - Oct 21st. Ride down was pleasant 50s and clear skies. Parked it for the weekend, enjoyed the pregame at Brothers and Breakfast Club, great game , postgame, etc. Nice town. Purdue fans are hardcore. Sunday was miserable: 30 degrees, rain, huge winds, Chicago traffic always bad... still glad I rode though, enjoyed it thanks to the LT. Gotta love the 70mph limit (nice change from around here), although Indianans were doin much more than that 85+!! I hung out behind them for a while

Although I wouldn't have ridden that far on any cruiser/sports bike, I'm in love with Road Glides along with the LT. So what kindya sellin'?
post #9 of 11 Old Jan 23rd, 2007, 8:13 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveh
Welcome Don,

Good luck if the three dealers are Bob's, Morton's and Battley's. But, it hasn't been that cold yet and February could be another story.
It is getting cold! The three dealers are Morton's, Adventure and Capital (Raleigh). I've ridden a test bike at Morton's and I was not able to get the floor boards to scrape the way I do on my hawg.

After reading this forum, I was worried that the LT was like a top just waiting to tip over. During the test ride, I was worried about the slow speed handling. At the end of the ride, I took it into a parking lot and did a lot of slow speed stuff and it was very responsive - didn't seem that top heavy at all.

Since I ride year round, I'm really looking forward to the heated seat and hand grips.

Thanks all for the responses. I know that Morton's is out of 06's. I really like the blue of the 07, but if I can save a thousand or so I can live with last year's blue.
post #10 of 11 Old Jan 23rd, 2007, 12:47 pm

I have had a 1999, and 2004 LT, just got the first 07 on Dec 30. It does have the HID standard. It and the 06 had a bit more HP, I think they did it withthe intake and electronics, the 07 does sound throatier that the 04 and 99. Electric center stand is AWSOME. the dealer said the 07 has a bit different camber for slow speed, it does and the 07 does handle much better at slow speed. New comm system has all the bells and whistles, jury is still out on the reliability. If you are going to have an Ipod, suggest you get the provisions for the 6 disc changer (DO NOT GET THE CHANGER) I was told the wires are not there to put the I pod in the LH saddle unless you get the prep.
I bought a Garmin ZUMO, it's mount bolts right to the GPS prep. You can pick up power for it in the factory prep wiring, run the audio out to the AUX plug on the comm and have 2 gig of music, voice directions and XM. I did blue tooth with the Motorola 820 hands free kit wired to the phone jackand a Samsung Blackjack, rings in the headset and all.
I paid a shade over 20k. Demo with 7 miles.
Hope this helps

Milton
post #11 of 11 Old Jan 23rd, 2007, 4:23 pm

Got my '06 last November. The HID, Voice Comm II, Lighted Top Luggage rack, central locking, alarm system, and courtesy lights were standard. Added the passenger boards ~$350.00 and the GPS Prep ~350.00. It had the cd changer and high windshield as extras. Have since added the back rest, Mick-O-Pegs,FRS radio, and am trying out BeadRiders. Am thinking about a cb and Remus street exhausts and aftermarket luggage bag inserts and... (No Dear I have not ordered anything else.....yet)

I compared it to the '07 at the time and only diff was the colors and I did not know about the camber. The big difference I saw was the MSRP on the '06 was $195.00 less than the '07 and the promotion at the time was a free Nav III (albeit the $350.00 prep!!!)

But still a better deal particularly after the haggle. The '06 had 7 miles on it. I wanted Grey anyway....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in