New LT Purchase - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 2:04 pm Thread Starter

New LT Purchase

I am considering the purchase of a 2007 LT. I am concerned about the notes about low speed handling and lack of low speed torque and high center of gravity. I have had an Ultraclassic HD in the past without difficulty. Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 2:11 pm

Smile

I offed my last and final HD Bagger and never looked back after more than 500K miles over 33+ years.

Yes the LT is heavier, but not something you cannot get use to, just as you got use to the low HD horsepower and minimal lean angle.. Every MC has a learning curve.
BMW LT <> WAYYY better handling, motor, etc.... No contest.
You are on the west side of WA with plenty of BMW dealers who I am sure will let you take one for a test ride!!

Harley Davidson = yesterdays Technology @ Tomorrows Prices.

Difference in HD Versus BMW.

HD = Slow down in the curves and hope try to speed up before the pinging starts in the straights...

BMW = Speed up in the curves and try to not laugh out loud in the straights as you pass everything else on the road in comfort and confident of your elegant mount!!! + get 50 MPG competely stock with no need to Futz with the motor and little pirates at the dealership!

47+ Yrs Daily Motorcycle Street riding for Therapy

2012 Victory Cross Country Tour

2007 Black Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - Sold
2007 Red Moto Guzzi Norge 1200 - Sold
2005 LT Dark Graphite - (Sold)
2005 PearlBlue FJR1300 (Sold)
3 BMW's, 8 HD baggers, 3 Goldwings & 860K + miles later
*Ridin steady since 1973

Last edited by usmctpdog; Jan 22nd, 2007 at 3:49 pm.
post #3 of 36 Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 2:22 pm

I cant add anything further except that my last two HD's were EGC's and I havent looked back. The LT will blow you away.

F

post #4 of 36 Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 3:47 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by drrcnelson
I am considering the purchase of a 2007 LT. I am concerned about the notes about low speed handling and lack of low speed torque and high center of gravity. I have had an Ultraclassic HD in the past without difficulty. Any thoughts?
You really need to ride an LT yourself and make the call! Everyone has opinions...! What are yours. Some who test ride an LT hate it, many fall in love for the first time.

BTW, since you're used to an HD...If you test ride an LT, they like the RPMs to be between 4000 and 7000. Please don't talk about low end torque until you launch one yourself. As a matter of fact, bring along an HD bubby with you. Use him (or her) as a reference point speed, handling, braking, comfort and QUIET! Good luck.

J. Averill Townsend
Bloomfield Hills, MI

IBA# 24374

2002 K1200LTC - Silver
1978 R100/7 - Very, very Black
2004 Bushtec Quantum - Silver, of course...(SOLD)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 36 Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 3:56 pm

Lt

a brand new LT sounds great... but there are some really cherry used LTs out there that the sellers know every last detail about. my point is a real nice used LT with all the farkles is not such a bad deal. just my opinion... but for half the cost of an 07, a little shopping can find a lot of bike for the $$$ and ... if you don't like the weight or other facet... it's less of a financial risk...

have fun!
post #6 of 36 Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 3:59 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

the LT is the ultimate in style and comfort. I've never owned a HD but I've ridin my share and the BMW wins hands down in my opinion. so ride an LT and let the bike show you what it will do....

Stevie Shreeve
post #7 of 36 Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 4:25 pm

Do it!

If you are like most H-D owners with the LT you will spend lots less time cleaning and admiring and more time riding and grinning.....

I am in my third month with a new 06 LT which replaced a Road King Classic (Mustang Seat, police handle bar, Screaming Eagle stage one, Power Commander, Slash Down Mufflers and on and on) I dearly loved that Road King.

But I amazed myself as to how much more I enjoy the LT. The ride, the power, the quiet, the sound system, the luggage room, water cooled engine, heated seats and grips, and the biggest joy are brakes that work. I can take serious mountain twisties and only use one finger for needed braking

post #8 of 36 Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 4:51 pm

I personally don't think the LT handles all that bad at low speeds, even in turning. I came from an Ultra Classic, and even though the Lt is heavier, I think it is much more responsive than the HD, and it is much much more fun to ride. Don't get me wrong, I loved my Harley, I just love my LT much more. As far as low speed torgue goes, I don't see that much difference. What I do see a big difference in is the power at higher speeds. I think you will love the LT. Just my opinion. jrlakin
post #9 of 36 Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 5:26 pm

purchase LT

I have owned two Harleys. An Ultra and a a classic. I currently own a 2005 LT. Although I still enjoy the harley Ride, I find that the LT is a better handling
bike and safer. Low speed maneuvering is no problem with the Lt once you adjust to the bike. Good Luck. Hey, why not have both rides
post #10 of 36 Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 6:34 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvalny
I have owned two Harleys. An Ultra and a a classic. I currently own a 2005 LT. Although I still enjoy the harley Ride, I find that the LT is a better handling
bike and safer. Low speed maneuvering is no problem with the Lt once you adjust to the bike. Good Luck. Hey, why not have both rides
I didn't give up my Harley when I got the LT. Harley hasn't been ridden much in the six or so weeks since I've had the LT, but it is a new toy, and the HArley isn't a lot of fun in the cold!

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

-----------------------------------------------

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #11 of 36 Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 6:34 pm Thread Starter

New LT Purchase

I want to thank all of you for your input. I guess it is time to move up.
post #12 of 36 Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 10:51 pm

You have no idea what you're missing... until you own it!

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #13 of 36 Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 11:05 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by drrcnelson
I want to thank all of you for your input. I guess it is time to move up.
Get a nice long test ride, you will come back and sign the papers. Don't worry, the dealer will have a pen you can use.

As someone else pointed out, be sure you test the RPM ranges where the LT really shines, and DO NOT bog it down below 3,000 RPM, preferably no lower than 3,500. This fat lady LOVES to sing! In the twisty curves, try to keep it well over 4,000, engine braking into curves works really well in the high end.

Also, DO NOT grab a handfull of front brake when almost stopped, with the front wheel turned any at all! That is the best way to learn how to pick up over 800 pounds of bike. A whole LOT of us have learned that the hard way, or so I have been told.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #14 of 36 Old Jan 23rd, 2007, 12:50 pm

O7 Verses later years

I posted this above also
I have had a 1999, and 2004 LT, just got the first 07 on Dec 30. It does have the HID standard. It and the 06 had a bit more HP, I think they did it withthe intake and electronics, the 07 does sound throatier that the 04 and 99. Electric center stand is AWSOME. the dealer said the 07 has a bit different camber or caster for slow speed, it does and the 07 does handle much better at slow speed. New comm system has all the bells and whistles, jury is still out on the reliability. If you are going to have an Ipod, suggest you get the provisions for the 6 disc changer (DO NOT GET THE CHANGER) I was told the wires are not there to put the I pod in the LH saddle unless you get the prep.
I bought a Garmin ZUMO, it's mount bolts right to the GPS prep. You can pick up power for it in the factory prep wiring, run the audio out to the AUX plug on the comm and have 2 gig of music, voice directions and XM. I did blue tooth with the Motorola 820 hands free kit wired to the phone jackand a Samsung Blackjack, rings in the headset and all.
I paid a shade over 20k. Demo with 7 miles.
Hope this helps

Milton
post #15 of 36 Old Jan 23rd, 2007, 3:54 pm

I have 1000 miles on my new 07. When I first wrote the check I said to myself "why am I spending the money when I love my 03" Once I got on the bike I noted all of the improvements. Money well spent, I love it.
post #16 of 36 Old Jan 23rd, 2007, 3:56 pm

*Yea, >>> What Dave Shealey Said!!!!!

*Ridin steady since 1973

post #17 of 36 Old Jan 23rd, 2007, 6:24 pm

Smile

I guess the big change in the LT that I've heard is the decrease in the rake angle on the front end. It is supposed to improve on the low speed handleing. . . ei. in town slow traffic manuveralbility. But, at a cost. The high speed it gets a little squirely. Give me the old tech. Gotta ride.
Beemers for ever ! ! !
post #18 of 36 Old Jan 23rd, 2007, 10:20 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by comstocklt
The high speed it gets a little squirely.
Not sure if I can agree. I have had my LT going at a pretty good clip and the handling is fine.

Mark
post #19 of 36 Old Jan 24th, 2007, 12:25 am

Ultra vs LT

Hi Robert,
If your looking for low end torque, by a Goldwing. Nothing like it, the engine is incredible - but IMHO the bike is not much fun to ride, I've owned several of them. The dry weight of an Ultra is actually heaver then an LT (808 lbs to 761). Now I'll probably agree with you that first time out of the garage the Ultra may feel more stable at walking speeds, but that's because your closer to the ground. But once you get the hang of the LT, low speed stuff isn't really a problem. The handling and fun factor of the LT is in a class by itself. Riding fatigue is much less then an Ultra, you can actually enjoy the stereo. Your neighbors will like you more. The only problem is the HD pirate suit doesn't really go with an LT.

Good luck with your decision,

Smith
Greensboro, NC
'05 Dark Graphite
post #20 of 36 Old Jan 24th, 2007, 9:22 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by KYchris02
a brand new LT sounds great... but there are some really cherry used LTs out there that the sellers know every last detail about. my point is a real nice used LT with all the farkles is not such a bad deal. just my opinion... but for half the cost of an 07, a little shopping can find a lot of bike for the $$$ and ... if you don't like the weight or other facet... it's less of a financial risk...

have fun!
Great used bikes will be around for years to come unless the rest of the bike world catches on to the magic. "IF" I buy another bike in modern time after my Y2K "wears out" LOL, I'll take my knowledge of the bike and get an updated one. Can't see a time where at least one LT isn't in the stall.
post #21 of 36 Old Jan 24th, 2007, 10:45 am

True story. I ride with some pretty hard core Harley riders. I heard 2 of them discussing my bike. The conversation went something like this.

Harley Touring Bike Owner "Man, he gets over 50 mpg. I barely get 30. I just spent thousands getting my bike to run faster and he still blows me away stock. Did you see how fast he takes those corners? I'm freezing my *** off today and he is just riding with his summer gear on. Those heated grips and seat must work great! His bike hasn't had any problems or been to shop in 13,000 miles. He had over 100,000 miles on his last one. Every one in the Harley shop knows me by name and vice versa. I think I'll get me one of those next time."
post #22 of 36 Old Jan 26th, 2007, 7:22 pm

K1200lt

I own a Yamaha Venture as well as my 03 LT. I honestly don't feel that the LT is top heavy after riding the Venture. The LT is so much more maneuverable and steady. It's perfectly balanced and I love it. The LT is so much more fun to ride. It's easy to kick up off the stand and the low speed maneuvering is fine once you get used to it. It lacks a little torque on the bottom but so did the Yamaha compared to the Suzuki LC1500 I traded in on it. I can't wait for warm weather so I can get out and ride with all the poor souls who have their bikes in storage.............
post #23 of 36 Old Jan 26th, 2007, 11:24 pm

I just bought a new 2006 LT... I have put 300 mile on it and all I can say is WOW! Yeah, it's heavy, but what a machine... Why did I wait so long?
post #24 of 36 Old Jan 27th, 2007, 5:59 am

A Ferrari or the Lamborghini

After several HD rentals, I was a breath away from buying a Road Glide. Then I said to myself "If I'm going to buy a Ferrari, I had better drive the Lamborghini first." I took off on a 1200 mile ride around the California national parks, had an absolutely awesome time, fell in love with the LT, came home and ran to the BMW dealer to buy one. It is so much motorcycle for the money: safe, fun, fast and easy to ride. Yes, it doesn't like going to the grocery store, and I think it has a much lower CG than the Harley. Rent one and you will see. There's no finer luxury touring bike made.

Ride safe - Deedub
post #25 of 36 Old Jan 27th, 2007, 7:58 am

Consider "pre-owned"

I agree with Chris, especially on the LT. It's just getting broken in at 40K! I bought my 2000 in 2005 with 28K. I'm putting a new clutch, throttle cable and shocks on it right now (at 39K). I love my LT so much that I kept it after buying a new R1200 GS -- it's the first time in my riding career of 34 years that I own two bikes. ... I just can't let it go.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KYchris02

have fun!

Regards,
John

2000 K1200 LTC - Canyon Red
post #26 of 36 Old Jan 27th, 2007, 8:00 am

Dave, could it be that you've been getting your kicks in the air?
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfmpilot
I just bought a new 2006 LT... I have put 300 mile on it and all I can say is WOW! Yeah, it's heavy, but what a machine... Why did I wait so long?

Regards,
John

2000 K1200 LTC - Canyon Red
post #27 of 36 Old Jan 27th, 2007, 10:03 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deedub
Yes, it doesn't like going to the grocery store
Au contraire, it loves to go the store, it just doesn't like coming home.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #28 of 36 Old Jan 27th, 2007, 10:57 am

So, what color did you get? That's the only question...

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #29 of 36 Old Jan 27th, 2007, 8:05 pm

I've had my Sporty for 18 months now and have enjoyed the ride. Found a '99 LT in Ft. Worth; rode it and made a deal. I found the handling to be just as responsive, if not more so, as the Sporty (handle bar length, I'm sure, gives the additional leverage). I had no trouble with the 300#+ difference during slow speed maneuvering; great mover and comfortable.

Nice ride, great view, and most of all - quiet!
post #30 of 36 Old Jan 27th, 2007, 10:30 pm

I read all the scare stories, then rode the LT myself on a test ride. After 150k+ miles on my last Concours, the LT felt wonderfully steady and not that much heavier. It's a long reach to the ground, but not anything absurd. I bought the '07 over Thanksgiving holiday and never looked back.
post #31 of 36 Old Jan 28th, 2007, 12:27 pm
Lifetime Supporter

We're going down the same path. I'm currently selling my 2001 HD Ultra Classic to purchase an LT. I had a K1100 LT before purchasing the HD...can't wait to quit dragging chrome in the corners (but I will miss the sparks on night rides!) We have all these outstanding rides in the Pacific NW, but the HD just can't take advantage of them. Good luck.
post #32 of 36 Old Jan 28th, 2007, 4:23 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickerbiker
We're going down the same path. I'm currently selling my 2001 HD Ultra Classic to purchase an LT. I had a K1100 LT before purchasing the HD...can't wait to quit dragging chrome in the corners (but I will miss the sparks on night rides!) We have all these outstanding rides in the Pacific NW, but the HD just can't take advantage of them. Good luck.
Best of LUCK. I had no problem selling my Ultra Classic last year. I should have my new LT in a week or so and looking for some nice rides in the NW and I also want to try some riding on Vancouver Island perhaps to Tofino. Should be a nice ride from Victoria.
post #33 of 36 Old Jan 29th, 2007, 5:08 pm

I haven't had such an easy time selling my Ultra, but then it is a 97. I loved that bike when I was riding it, but I love my LT a heck of a lot more. jrlakin
post #34 of 36 Old Feb 1st, 2007, 9:02 pm

Regarding the shutdown of the HD York plant and the HD workers going on strike:
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,249502,00.html

I heard it was the retirement benefit that was the sticking point.

Instead of a gold watch after 25 years they want a gold wing.

Last edited by WCO1; Feb 1st, 2007 at 9:30 pm.
post #35 of 36 Old Feb 2nd, 2007, 12:02 pm

LOL!!! I needed a good laugh......

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCO1
Regarding the shutdown of the HD York plant and the HD workers going on strike:
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,249502,00.html

I heard it was the retirement benefit that was the sticking point.

Instead of a gold watch after 25 years they want a gold wing.

*Ridin steady since 1973

post #36 of 36 Old Feb 3rd, 2007, 3:44 pm

Smile New LT

I just got delivered my LT 07 but too cool to ride. I am dieing to go out and enjoy the LT. I looked at the HD UL and road king real closed and almost got one but the manager of the HD were not very nice to deal with. I had the money in hand (credit). I had a 1100 Yamaha 05 V Star Sylverado that I trade in. I was looking for something softer to ride. I looked at the GW real closed but Max BMW in NH treat me real good and delivered the bike 130 miles away and will pick it up if needed for service with no extra charge. I Am happy about my desition and Is nice to see others as exited as I am . I am worried about the top heavy with the power brakes, I hate to put a scratch in my bike and join the DA group.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in