Winter overhaul - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 11:05 am Thread Starter

Winter overhaul

New bike lift/table arroves tomorrow and I am planning a strip down. I have replaced the radiators before, so removed plastic and tank. But this time I will have to go a fair bit further.
Anyone got any advice on things to look out for? Things you wish you had known before you did these jobs? Time scales
?

Oil changes, Fuel line quick release, Brake line speed bleeder,
Valve check and adjust

Suspension replacement

Tension arm replacement

HID installation

Driving lights

Speedo fix

Wire in GPS

Fix ABS?

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect" Mark Twain

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 1:31 pm
Miles of Smiles

Garage
Smile Midnight Oil

Sounds like you're going to be busy! Every time I do a strip down, I find another electrical connector to grease up with dielectric. That's always worth doing. My Wilbers went in well. Remember to tie the center stand, I used a strap to the engine protection plate. Oil change, I use the rubber mat as per the template for the transmission, Engine oil I just loosen the filter cover to drain. Take care with the 3 bolts on the cover, 10 Nm only. Filter is 11Nm. Hid's good too, but a slightly different install on the '05 twin headlight. Info here on line. I added moto's and side lights from Ztechnik. Just use relays where ever possible. At the front end the map light is a good source of switched power for the GPS, or to control relays. Q/D's the OEM's have a protective lip to ensure they don't open by rubbing on the frame etc. I packed out the replacement ones with neoprene rubber to give them space. Have fun. A lift sure helps.

Jenna: Ocean Blue '06
Hilton: Head of the Steering Committee.
Rena: The Committee.
ET4 Thing 1
ET4 Thing 2
post #3 of 4 Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 2:26 pm

Thumbs up

The only one that would concern me would be FIX ABS.
What do you mean by that? Are you getting flashing ABS warning lights?

The rest is just work, and probably better performed with a buddy. But nothing impossible.
Also while you are at it, you should consider drilling the weep hole and replace the clutch slave cylinder and seal, and replace the transmission output shaft seal.
Maybe you should have a tech session at your place and invite others to perform some maintenance work and assist you with yours.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 4 Old Jan 23rd, 2007, 10:02 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy_gg
The only one that would concern me would be FIX ABS.
What do you mean by that? Are you getting flashing ABS warning lights?

The rest is just work, and probably better performed with a buddy. But nothing impossible.
Also while you are at it, you should consider drilling the weep hole and replace the clutch slave cylinder and seal, and replace the transmission output shaft seal.
Maybe you should have a tech session at your place and invite others to perform some maintenance work and assist you with yours.
Weep hole drilled by BMW last year when the clutch went.
ABS has been flashing for months, I am going to hit the ABS unit hard with a hammer and cross my fingers, I am NOT replacing it at that cost!!!

Cheers for the other tips guys

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect" Mark Twain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in