New owner's questions - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Jan 21st, 2007, 11:23 am Thread Starter

New owner's questions

I will be picking up a '99 K1200LTC w/12,300 miles at MSP Suzuki (Hebron, OH, just east of Columbus) later this week. Sadly, due to weather, it will come home in a trailer. As a new owner, I have numerous questions which I am sure have been addressed numerous times on this web site. Therefore, if experienced owners can reply directly or direct me to the proper threads, it would be greatly appreciated.

I have a heated shop and a reasonable set of metric and S.A.E. tools plus a modicum (if that means "damn little") of mechanical ability. Have maintained present and past bikes; any reason I should not attempt maintenance on the LT?

I have been forewarned of the top heavy nature of the beast (probably not fully accept this 'till I drop her), of the need for mirror tethers (found on Bob's BMW webpage) and skid plate (where do I find that?) The bike is due for 12,000 mile "major" and, less valve adjust, I plan to attempt it myself. So, other than at the nearest BMW dealer, where can I locate:

1. K1200LT service book and which one is best?, best price?
2. Any approved fluids, filters, etc. other than BMW and where can I locate
at best price?
3. Any special tricks and warnings related to fluid changes?
4. Other items of which to be aware?
5. Should I just "cough up" $500 - $600 and let BMW tech handle it?

Any and all responses appreciated.

Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Jan 21st, 2007, 11:35 am

Hey Bob,
Congrats on the purchase. Can't imagine how anxious you must be to ride - if only it weren't for the Ohio winters...

1) www.clymer.com
2) www.chicagobmwmotorcycle.com
3) can't tell ya, never done sevice myself
4) tupperware removal is nasty the first time. I ended up with 4 extra screws ????
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/search.php?searchid=371326
http://faq.bmwlt.net/#tupperware
5) I prefer to let BMW do it. Its fast, easy, cleaner, I won't lose parts, and if I mess up, I'm the one that has to pay to fix it. Doing the work in my garage (installing PIAAs) ended up taking half the floor space up for tupperware alone. Towels for padding, screws, chrome trim, windshield... it's not worth it to me. Find a dealer you like and trust and "JUST RIDE IT" in
post #3 of 13 Old Jan 21st, 2007, 12:02 pm

If you do any M/C maintainance you probably could do this bike also. The easiest way to get started is to attend a local tech session and bring the parts you need for your service and have someone take you through the ropes.

The tupperware removal task is time consuming... not rocket science.. but M/C riding and maintenance is basically a hobby and if you have a heated space to do the service you have a great start on doing something with the hobby when you can't ride... So, all you need is a manual, some basic tools, torque wrenches, parts and most of all a desire to get to know your new toy.

You already know about this site so with a camera and some internet posting ability we probably can get you through most things you need as far as advice... or what is this or whatever you just can't get from the manual.

If your not opposed to spending the $600+ on a service go do it. It may take a few weeks to get you in to the shop.. However I would suspect that is not is all that you need for a '99 that has a new owner.. Especially if your buying from a non-BMW shop.

You more than likely need a yearly and a 12K.. at dealer prices $600 for that is really not bad. My guess is you asked about a 12K.. With a yearly you also need all fluids changed, all filters, plugs and a good inspection..

Jack D. (Southern Connecticut)
2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA

post #4 of 13 Old Jan 21st, 2007, 1:48 pm

Jack already summed things up fairly well (as always ). If your LT was a bit newer, I would advise that you let a BMW shop handle the brake fluid maintenance, but since it's a '99 model, I see no reason why you can't handle even that part. But like Jack suggested, get that LT to a tech session next Spring and we'll show you the ropes. Bikes, riders, food, parts & tools. Good times!

Some more food for thought. Someday you just might "need" a dealership. In that event, you might want to start building a relationship with the closest dealer. (BMW of Columbus?) A good way to form a relationship is by going there and talking to the owner, store manager, parts manager, and service manager. Build some repoir. Also, buy your maintenance items from them. Yes you can save a few bucks here & there online...but that doesn't do much for building a relationship with the local guys. Heck, I even buy my guys lunch every now & again. The service I've received from them because of the little bones I've thrown is amazing. Well worth the small "investments".
post #5 of 13 Old Jan 21st, 2007, 5:38 pm

Since you are a new owner, I would strongly suggest investing in the maintence videos offer by Paul Sayegh on his web site, http://www.sayegh.org/bmw.htm. The information on this web site (bmwlt.com) is invaluable, but the Paul Sayegh videos let you visualize what actually is taking place. I purchased them, and they are well worth the money. jrlakin
post #6 of 13 Old Jan 21st, 2007, 6:46 pm

We've had a couple of PMs back and forth, but something just struck me: if you want some company when you pick up the bike (and maybe a hand tying it down) let me know when/where you're picking it up. Depending on the day and the time I'd be happy to stop by.

Don't forget a pair of soft straps and some ratcheting straps. There is a complete doc (maybe 2?) in the Hall of Wisdom on this site on how to tie the beast down.

If BMW Columbus is your closest dealer, give them a call to say "hi" some time. They are nice people, and are located on the near east side (E. Main St., 1 mile west of Hamilton Rd.).

Owner/GM: Bruce Ridenour
Service Manager: Stephen Schneider
Parts Manager: Sam Harsh
(614) 239-1269.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[/URL]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 13 Old Jan 21st, 2007, 6:50 pm

Jeez Howard! You're just offering to go hold the guy's hand?! I thought for sure you'd just gear up and ride the bike home for him. Or is that just something a GT'er would do???
post #8 of 13 Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 12:30 am

Bob I had my 12K service done at BMW of Columbus great guys there. Keep in touch with them you never know when you may need them

David

2003 K1200 LTC Anthracite
post #9 of 13 Old Feb 16th, 2007, 2:24 pm

Smile

Hey all;

I am still new to this wonderful site. I bought my LT off my father-in-law for a steal....!!!! However I do have a few questions?

For the 2002 LTE, what headsets can I get besides the expensive BMW. I would love to get the full use out of the BMW Comm system that came with the bike.

Also, has anyone used the FRS feature and tried to communicate with someone else with say a "Chatterbox"?

Thanks
post #10 of 13 Old Feb 16th, 2007, 2:52 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkhaus1
Also, has anyone used the FRS feature and tried to communicate with someone else with say a "Chatterbox"?
Although my intercom system is not a BMW (it's an IntaRide), I use an ICOM FRS/GMRS to communicate with my friend's ChatterBox X1 flawlessly.
post #11 of 13 Old Feb 16th, 2007, 3:03 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkhaus1
I bought my LT off my father-in-law for a steal....!!!!

No matter what you paid, he is still way ahead in the deal.
post #12 of 13 Old Feb 16th, 2007, 6:05 pm

I just bought a 2000 LT and asked if a couple of local folks could help me do the first oil+tranny+final change, plus install a HID and some other stuff. A gang of friendly knowledgable folks got together, we had munchies and spent an entire day going over my bike.

The folks on this board are great.

One thing you want to get if you don't have one already is a battery powered screwdriver and a T25 bit for it, plus metric allenheads (I don't remember what sizes, but match the smaller allen wrenches in the bike's toolkit). This makes tupperware removal much much faster and easier. Or as Brian said, "I do NOT work on an LT without one".

If you look at the map and don't care where you are, you're not lost.

2000 K1200LT
1977 R75/7
1962 R60/2
post #13 of 13 Old Feb 16th, 2007, 11:41 pm

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobfromSWOhio
I will be picking up a '99 K1200LTC w/12,300 miles at MSP Suzuki (Hebron, OH, just east of Columbus) later this week. Sadly, due to weather, it will come home in a trailer. As a new owner, I have numerous questions which I am sure have been addressed numerous times on this web site. Therefore, if experienced owners can reply directly or direct me to the proper threads, it would be greatly appreciated.

I have a heated shop and a reasonable set of metric and S.A.E. tools plus a modicum (if that means "damn little") of mechanical ability. Have maintained present and past bikes; any reason I should not attempt maintenance on the LT?

I have been forewarned of the top heavy nature of the beast (probably not fully accept this 'till I drop her), of the need for mirror tethers (found on Bob's BMW webpage) and skid plate (where do I find that?) The bike is due for 12,000 mile "major" and, less valve adjust, I plan to attempt it myself. So, other than at the nearest BMW dealer, where can I locate:

1. K1200LT service book and which one is best?, best price?
2. Any approved fluids, filters, etc. other than BMW and where can I locate
at best price?
3. Any special tricks and warnings related to fluid changes?
4. Other items of which to be aware?
5. Should I just "cough up" $500 - $600 and let BMW tech handle it?

Any and all responses appreciated.

Bob
Get the soft straps as advised and pay the best shop around to do the service. Don't forget to go in, introduce yourself, meet the service manahger and mechanics, buy some odds and ends from the parts department and set an appt to bring the bike in. When you bring it in, bring some doughnuts!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in