Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Leesburg, OH, USA
New owner's questions
I will be picking up a '99 K1200LTC w/12,300 miles at MSP Suzuki (Hebron, OH, just east of Columbus) later this week. Sadly, due to weather, it will come home in a trailer. As a new owner, I have numerous questions which I am sure have been addressed numerous times on this web site. Therefore, if experienced owners can reply directly or direct me to the proper threads, it would be greatly appreciated.
I have a heated shop and a reasonable set of metric and S.A.E. tools plus a modicum (if that means "damn little") of mechanical ability. Have maintained present and past bikes; any reason I should not attempt maintenance on the LT?
I have been forewarned of the top heavy nature of the beast (probably not fully accept this 'till I drop her), of the need for mirror tethers (found on Bob's BMW webpage) and skid plate (where do I find that?) The bike is due for 12,000 mile "major" and, less valve adjust, I plan to attempt it myself. So, other than at the nearest BMW dealer, where can I locate:
1. K1200LT service book and which one is best?, best price?
2. Any approved fluids, filters, etc. other than BMW and where can I locate
at best price?
3. Any special tricks and warnings related to fluid changes?
4. Other items of which to be aware?
5. Should I just "cough up" $500 - $600 and let BMW tech handle it?
Any and all responses appreciated.