Speedo inop 02' k1200 - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old Jan 20th, 2007, 9:46 pm Thread Starter

Speedo inop 02' k1200

Basically Im having a problem with my speedometer/cruise not working. So far I replaced the rear speed sensor but that did not solve my problem. My speedo is not getting a signal from the ABS unit. I've checked the wires from the guage cluster (one brown & one brown/red wire) through the harness to the ABS unit itself. All wire have good continuity to the ABS connector and show no shorts to ground.

I went back and checked both wires from the front and rear sensors to make sure that both had a good connection to the ABS unit and found no issues. I back probed the rear sensor with the bike running on the stand and put it in gear. My meter is showing a change with speed. So I know that is not an issue with the rear sensor. I checked for anything at the back of the speedo with the bike running in gear and could not get any kinda of signal.

What I have come up with is that the ABS unit is not sending the speed signal to the gauge cluster. Has anyone heard of a problem like this? I suspect that the ABS unit is faulty internally and Im not ready to pony up the dough for a new one. I've seen some other posts on here about people tearing apart the ABS units.

I had an issue before all this started with my speedo intermittenly not working and I wonder if there might be a bad contact inside the ABS unit itself.

Thanks for the Help!

Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of the car window
Stephen Moore
02 K1200LTC Silver
02 Uni-go (skittles reborn)
1975 R75/6 Black Still running strong
BMWMOA# 122791
AMA# 711312
CCR 02,03,04,05,07,08,

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old Jan 21st, 2007, 12:39 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Stephen,

I looked the circuit over. There are electronics in the ABS as well as the instrument cluster. Could be loosing the signal in either place. I would repeat the check you did with the bike in gear and put the meter on the TA- and TAS wires (pins 6 & 7 at the cluster) coming from the ABS going to the Instrument cluster just to see if it can detect a signal there - may need an O'scope to do that.

I would not recommend tearing into the ABS unit. And a GPS (2610 for $350) is a lot cheaper than an ABS unit and will give you a very accurate speed as well as other goodies.

Good Luck

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 3 Old Jan 21st, 2007, 1:19 pm Thread Starter

No speedo/ cruise operation

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler
Stephen,

I looked the circuit over. There are electronics in the ABS as well as the instrument cluster. Could be loosing the signal in either place. I would repeat the check you did with the bike in gear and put the meter on the TA- and TAS wires (pins 6 & 7 at the cluster) coming from the ABS going to the Instrument cluster just to see if it can detect a signal there - may need an O'scope to do that.

I would not recommend tearing into the ABS unit. And a GPS (2610 for $350) is a lot cheaper than an ABS unit and will give you a very accurate speed as well as other goodies.

Good Luck
I have checked at the instrument cluster for any type of signal. I do get signal from the rear sensor to the ABS control unit. Nothing coming out, so I have come to the conclusion there is an open circuit there. This problem started with an intermittent loss of the speedo/cruise control operation. I see that the top of the ABS control unit could in theory be disassembled to some degree but I would rather not go there. I may be loading the bike up next week to see if a diagnostics check would show the problem.

I would love to have the GPS unit but I would sure miss the cruise control.

Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of the car window
Stephen Moore
02 K1200LTC Silver
02 Uni-go (skittles reborn)
1975 R75/6 Black Still running strong
BMWMOA# 122791
AMA# 711312
CCR 02,03,04,05,07,08,

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in