Should I Do It!!!! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 Old Jan 19th, 2007, 4:08 pm Thread Starter

Should I Do It!!!!

Counting on you guys for advice...debating purchasing a 99LTC from across several states...I've only seen pictures of the bike, but they look good...Only 38K and lots of accessories. The seller will ship it to me (it's the wrong time of year to ride across US) and all transactions will be via phone/computer...My question is...should I purchase an LT without actually seeing it? Owner assures me all services are up to date and no known problems. The price is fine and I'm pretty sure it's a good deal..but, you never know....
Whadda' ya think? Thanks for your comments....

Life is what happens while you're making other plans
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old Jan 19th, 2007, 4:13 pm

Perhaps a member of this forum can go check the bike out for you, depending on its location.
I did buy my 2 LTs on faith, on eBay, and have not been disappointed, although my buddy Mike from Pittsburgh went to check the 03 for me and found out that I needed tires before I could ride the bike back to Los Angeles.
So... where is the bike???

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 26 Old Jan 19th, 2007, 4:31 pm
TMH

Wow, that might be a little too much "on faith". I have bought some expensive vehicles off eBay or CraigsList, but I have always had the opportunity to check them out myself before leaving the check. I did just sell a bike to a guy a few states over in Texas. He contacted a local shop and asked me to take the bike there for a PPI (pre-purchase inspection). The shop was only a few miles from my house so I did it, and the buyer got an independent, professional, objective report about the bike before he parted with the big cash. Probably cost him less than $200 for this service (he had tried to arrange for a local to "check it out" for him, but this didn't work out, so the dealer PPI was his fallback.) Bike checked out clean, he bought it and he was happy with it when he eventually received it from the shipping company.

Then there is the option of using an escrow service. They get and keep your money until you receive the bike and have them release it to the seller (perhaps they also receive the title from the seller, and release it to you when you release the money?) I don't believe that those services cost a lot more than $100 or so a transaction.

That should give you a couple more options.

Good luck,
Tom

2009 R1200GS-ADV
2005.5 KTM Adventure 950

post #4 of 26 Old Jan 19th, 2007, 4:31 pm

When west-coast forum member 'Raffy' wanted to buy a GS that was near Cape Fear, NC, he put out a post asking if anyone could go look at it for him. (Just to make sure that the bike was what he thought it was.) I happened to be in the area on vacation, and I agreed to look it over. It was big fun for me as I got to meet the seller at BMW of Cape Fear, and I was glad to 'give a little back' to a community that has done so much for me.

Attached is a pic of the vacationing messenger13 atop Raffy's GS.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Raffy's GS.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	9465  
post #5 of 26 Old Jan 19th, 2007, 4:53 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy_gg
Perhaps a member of this forum can go check the bike out for you, depending on its location.
I did buy my 2 LTs on faith, on eBay, and have not been disappointed, although my buddy Mike from Pittsburgh went to check the 03 for me and found out that I needed tires before I could ride the bike back to Los Angeles.
So... where is the bike???
It's at a Honda dealership in Franklin, TN....

post #6 of 26 Old Jan 19th, 2007, 5:54 pm

i did it and am glad i did.

Go ahead and do it if you are comfortable buyiing it.I purchased a 2002 lte from South Carolina and i am in Ct. The bike was on ebay. I askd a lot of questions with owner before I finally committed to buy it. I am so glad i did. the bike was everything i hoped for am more.
post #7 of 26 Old Jan 19th, 2007, 6:22 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsdpoet
It's at a Honda dealership in Franklin, TN....
I am about 85 miles from there and there are several members as close or closer . If no one else chimes in and the weather is decent (I always look for an excuse to ride) I'll go up there and look it over for you.

I just checked and the weather is fine. Let me know if you want some help.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 26 Old Jan 19th, 2007, 6:55 pm

If the seller is the Honda dealer, you seem to be OK, do your talking through them. I bought my LT from a dealer 4 states away, but I checked them out first and spoke with the owner several times. But if it's someone just saying that its there, or they have it on consignment, I'd agree that its a good idea for someone to go over and check the bike. Just to make sure it actually exists, is in one piece, and the photos they sent you match what's for sale, as there's a lot of internet fraud out there. Have the person write down the VIN and have someone in law enforcement run it to make sure its not hot. (And that the number coincides with the actual year and model of the bike).

2010 Honda NT700V
1978 Honda CB400T II

Formerly
2011 R1200 RT
'04 R1150 RT-P
'04 R1200CLC
'06 Triumph Scrambler
'02 K1200LT
'01 R1200C Montana
'00 H-D Dyna Defender

" Twas a woman that drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her! " - W.C. Fields
post #9 of 26 Old Jan 19th, 2007, 7:02 pm

I bought my LT with out seeing from a dealer 300 miles away. I knew that one and LT rider should not be to hard on the motor and two that I am buying used which anything can break. I took that chance and love the motor, great motorcycle.
post #10 of 26 Old Jan 19th, 2007, 7:03 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
When west-coast forum member 'Raffy' wanted to buy a GS that was near Cape Fear, NC, he put out a post asking if anyone could go look at it for him. (Just to make sure that the bike was what he thought it was.) I happened to be in the area on vacation, and I agreed to look it over. It was big fun for me as I got to meet the seller at BMW of Cape Fear, and I was glad to 'give a little back' to a community that has done so much for me.

Attached is a pic of the vacationing messenger13 atop Raffy's GS.
You look like trouble and or would give a cop a hard time on a stop.
post #11 of 26 Old Jan 19th, 2007, 7:13 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler
I am about 85 miles from there and there are several members as close or closer . If no one else chimes in and the weather is decent (I always look for an excuse to ride) I'll go up there and look it over for you.

Thanks very much...I just PM'd you....

post #12 of 26 Old Jan 19th, 2007, 7:19 pm

I bought my LT from a guy I met on a chat board - sight unseen (cept for picys).

But then I knew the crowd at that board, had met one or two - they vouched for guys that vouched for guys that vouched for him.

Flew out to his place, stayed the night (he put me up) and rode 'er home. Loved it!!

Great experience - not your typical 'stranger deal'!

G'luck with your new ride - hope it all goes at least as well.

Tate

02 Mauve - my 'Light Truck'
Wyoming Immigration Officer, Cyberhiway tour guide and

post #13 of 26 Old Jan 19th, 2007, 8:52 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman587
You look like trouble and or would give a cop a hard time on a stop.
Yea...never trust a guy in sandals! (I think that's why they didn't like Jesus.)
post #14 of 26 Old Jan 19th, 2007, 8:57 pm

Get the VIN# from the Honda dealer, contact a BMW dealer and get a service/maintenance record on the bike. One issue in particular is the rear drive; about 3-4% of LT's have experienced failure of the rear drive. The one you are considering has sufficient mileage to have possibly suffered a failure (or could have a failure at any time). A rear drive repair is a $600-$1000 bill unless you can do it yourself. Also, try to get the previous owner's name and phone#; he (or she) probably will be honest and forthright with you. LOL on your "adventure". The LT's are great bikes.
post #15 of 26 Old Jan 19th, 2007, 9:02 pm

I live in Ohio and bought mine in St. Louis, MO. I saw the pics, spoke with the guy selling it and then flew there with the idea that if there was something I didn't like about it I would just hop on a flight back and not buy it. Luckily it was in great shape and instead I drove it back. Good luck on whatever you decide to do.

David

2003 K1200 LTC Anthracite
post #16 of 26 Old Jan 19th, 2007, 9:03 pm

I too bought my bike without seeing her. Just pics. It was everything the seller told me and am very happy with it. I rode her all summer and my other bike was a little neglected.

I also think people taking time to check bikes out for other folks is AWESOME.
hat's off to the folks on this site..!!

Don
post #17 of 26 Old Jan 19th, 2007, 9:08 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handlebar
I too bought my bike without seeing her. Just pics. It was everything the seller told me and am very happy with it. I rode her all summer and my other bike was a little neglected.

I also think people taking time to check bikes out for other folks is AWESOME.
hat's off to the folks on this site..!!

Don
DON.....THIS BOARD IS ONE OF THE MAIN REASONS I'M GETTING AN LT...YOU'RE CORRECT..THESE PEOPLE ARE AWESOME.....

post #18 of 26 Old Jan 19th, 2007, 9:22 pm
Ted

Quote:
DON.....THIS BOARD IS ONE OF THE MAIN REASONS I'M GETTING AN LT...YOU'RE CORRECT..THESE PEOPLE ARE AWESOME.....
I'm confused - did you sell your '03 LT?

Ted

Camarillo, CA
2012 Ducati Multistrada 1200S - Red
2007 R1200S - Black - Sold
2003 K1200LTC - Silver - Sold
IBA# 16554

post #19 of 26 Old Jan 19th, 2007, 9:41 pm

Yes, there is a 3-4% chance of a rear end failure. There are guys on the list that have 2 failures. Big deal, it is only a machine. Things are going to break. There are many LTs that haven't had a rear end failure. Mine is currently 99,776 miles and I bought it with almost 38K on it in April of 2004 and I have yet to have a rear end failure or to worry about it failiing. If it does, it will get fixed, just like the two clutch jobs last year. Like I said earlier "It is only a machine."

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #20 of 26 Old Jan 20th, 2007, 2:50 am

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler

See Larry? That's what I was talking about.
The comradery on this site goes way beyond posting or meeting for breakfast.
Way to go John!

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT

post #21 of 26 Old Jan 20th, 2007, 2:55 am

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
Yea...never trust a guy in sandals! (I think that's why they didn't like Jesus.)
Funny you should say that Joe... but I can only agree with you on that one!

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT

post #22 of 26 Old Jan 20th, 2007, 8:06 am Thread Starter

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted
I'm confused - did you sell your '03 LT?

Yes....Unfortunate turn of events for me forced me to sell the 03 for financial reasons....

post #23 of 26 Old Jan 21st, 2007, 10:45 am

Checking the used LT

You could have a BMW dealer pull up the service records.
I bought my 99 LT from a dealer and they had all the records and printed them for me.
post #24 of 26 Old Jan 21st, 2007, 12:35 pm Thread Starter

Thanks to everyone for your help...John (Jzeiler) was kind enough to take a ride down and check the LT out for me...He said it looks real good and that's good enough for me...deal is made and I now have to wait about 10 days for delivery...wish the time of year was different so I could ride it home, but it's a little too precarious right now...Anyhow, thanks again...you guys are great :yeah:

post #25 of 26 Old Jan 21st, 2007, 2:31 pm

If you are a BMWMOA member, check out the BMW anonymous list. There will be a Beemer pilot that will help you out. Bought my bike a a local Honda dealer but had a fellow LT owner ride it and it really helped. You will LOVE the bike.
post #26 of 26 Old Jan 21st, 2007, 4:10 pm

Thumbs up

Quote:
Thanks to everyone for your help...John (Jzeiler) was kind enough to take a ride down and check the LT out for me...He said it looks real good and that's good enough for me...deal is made and I now have to wait about 10 days for delivery...wish the time of year was different so I could ride it home, but it's a little too precarious right now...Anyhow, thanks again...you guys are great :yeah:
Congrats Larry!
I bet you'll be real happy to be back in the saddle!!!
Kudos to John!

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in