BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

Volt meter

2K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  Daza 
#1 ·
I have been wanting to install a small digital voltmeter and am looking for a clean install photo. Anyone have a great idea? I don’t want to cut holes in the inner fairing. All the good visual spots seem tight. I’m open to ideas or thoughts. Someone must have done this.
Remember imitation is the sincerest form of flattery!

#2 ·
A lot of us have done something similar but the main reason for a volt meter is so you can see the health of your charging system while in motion so it has to be somewhere in plain view and preferably water proof too. I know you said you don't want to cut holes in the inner fairing but this is what I did and several others with various combinations of features. Mine is a marine outlet with a ribber cap that seals off the USB outlets that you can still read the voltage through. Others have put just a digital meter in the same spot. If you are going to stick it on something without cutting a hole, you are going to have to find something water proof and aesthetically pleasing to you or just put it inside the cassette/cd player glove box in the stingray and look at it while you are stopped or place it under the seat but not very functional.

Attachments

Reactions: kbob12
#5 ·
Pretty much the same as everyone else with a volt meter installation. I think it cost me 5 bucks from Ebay!.....:D

Attachments

#6 ·
I don't have a desire to see specific numbers and am happy with the multi-color LED displays. Had a stick on multi-led Kuryakyn on my vtx but I prefer the sparkbright single LED on my 650GS. If I see green I know things are good, when you first start it the LED is yellow, in a couple minutes of riding green will come on and if I want to I know I can then turn the heated gear on. If you turn the heated gear on as soon as you start it might take 10 minutes of riding until it goes green. If I put one on the LT, after I remove the security system I'll put it in the red LED hole. Best place to connect any of them is direct to battery.

Monsoon Battery Voltage Monitor | SparkBright

https://www.kuryakyn.com/products/872/led-battery-gauge

Attachments

#7 ·
Another Old School guy - I think round analog gauges look better on the older LT's, matches the speedometer and tachometer. I installed a VDO marine voltmeter on my 2000 LT, it's easy to read, water proof, and it is back lighted. Yes, you would have to cut a hole into the inner fairing and set up the wiring. I installed the voltmeter on the right side next to the headlight adjuster. See photos.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.