BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

Left saddlebag gets hot

2K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  Voyager 
#1 ·
So I've had this 2000 K1200 LT for about 7 years and I just noticed last night after an hour long ride, the floor of the left saddlebag gets pretty damn hot. I understand it is right above the muffler, but is that normal?

I had a soft cooler with ice in there (beer was gone :wink:). I checked the floor of the bag to see if the cooler leaked. It didn't, but that's when I noticed how hot the floor was.

Thanks.
Doug B.

#2 ·
I’ve never noticed mine being unusually warm, but then I can’t say I’ve really checked it close after riding either. If I could ride, I’d go out and test it, but until I get this cast off I’m out of service.

#3 ·
There is a heat reflector mounted under the case, I have seen them deteriorate and fall off before. Yours may be missing.

Reactions: beech
#5 ·
Is the heat shield on your exhaust pipe intact? Any signs of the bike running rich? Poor fuel mileage, etc.? Running raw fuel through the catcon can generate some pretty high temps.

#6 ·
I never noticed mine getting hot but then the only thing that ever goes in that bag is the wife's travel purse and she never complained it was getting hot.:)

#7 ·
I've noticed the heat on mine. There's only so much that insulating pad can do & exhaust pipe is right below the bag. (Heat rises.) If you load heat sensitive stuff in left bag, I'd put additional insulation inside on bottom.
-Dean

#13 ·
Running lean is hot but running rich will foul the cat.
If there is raw fuel getting to the muffler, that is more than an oxygen sensor problem. Leaky injector. Very leaky.

#14 ·
I was talking catcon, not engine. Running rich makes the catcon hot, particularly when raw fuel gets through as with misfires.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.