• 3 Post By Wazza
  • 8 Post By pozo_izquierdo
  • 3 Post By Rickg
  • 1 Post By james216

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 Old May 19th, 2020, 9:27 am Thread Starter

Long time greetings from the Farkle-Freak-Finn

Hi all!
This is my first actual post to this forum for ….maybe ten years or so. I was busy with my work and some winters were totally lost as far my farkle projects were concerned.
The last drop was offered by Google when they purchased the Picasa photo album where I had stored all my farkle projects together with the explanations I had saved in each picture’s name field. Google sent me a message one day which said that “we can save your pictures but all the text fields will be deleted”. John Zeiler and perhaps somebody else as well asked me where my “farkle documentation” had vanished but I could not help as my many years work was gone and I had not the time (or interest) to start over.

Well, now the Covid-19 has redone my schedules as it has probably done to a couple of others as well and since I still ride my 2004 (’05 in the US) LT I decided to start documenting my 16 years of LT farkle projects based on the pictures I still have and rewriting the description for each photo. John Zeiler also kindly encouraged me to start with this.
This time I chose a blog format which I can fill in when ever I have time / inspiration / a request from somebody. The blog is called “My Good Old LT” and it can be found at mygoodlt.blogspot.com
At this time I have some seven pages written to my blog and I will try to complete it gradually by the feedback I get from the blog readers.

I wonder how many “old members” (others than John Z) are still around here? Some of you guys I have had the honor to meet in person during the old CCR’s I visited (Braselton 2006, Rapid City 2009, Killington 2010, Boise 2011, Duluth 2012, Bend 2013, Chattanooga 2014 and Cour d’Alene 2015) In the meantime Facebook plus a bunch of other platforms have become popular and I have found two FB based LT groups which seem quite active as well.

I guess many have upgraded to the 1600’s or GoldWings etc but the LT still serves my purposes best. Plus I have too many hours put on it…

Please visit my blog and give comments or questions and I will try to answer them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8460.JPG
Views:	37
Size:	755.9 KB
ID:	156967  
meese, Daza, cws and 3 others like this.

Ari "the Farkle-Freak-Finn" Ignatius
Hyvinkää, Finland[
2004 ('05) LT, Dark Graphite
Pictures of various farkle projects:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old May 19th, 2020, 9:57 am
IBR# 366

Garage
Re: Long time greetings from the Farkle-Freak-Finn

Great to hear from you, Ari!

A few old-timers are still here, and some of us are back on LTs after trying a few of the alternatives.

Hope you're surviving the current weirdness...

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #3 of 25 Old May 19th, 2020, 10:42 am

Wow. Yea it has been awhile..

2004 K1200LT. Big Mama
1999 Suzuki Intruder VL1500LC. Betty Lou.
I'm a 4 percenter.

post #4 of 25 Old May 19th, 2020, 12:29 pm

Garage

Why does that LT have 2 exhaust? I've not seen that before.

Edit: Ahh, I clicked on his Blog link. It is a tool carrier disguised as a pipe. Clever.

Best Regards,
TJ

Last edited by Tj Nigro; May 19th, 2020 at 1:10 pm.
post #5 of 25 Old May 19th, 2020, 12:43 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tj Nigro View Post
I added four extra cylinders so another exhaust was needed as well! Naaa... it’s just a toolbox, you can see it closer on my blog
kbob12 and Tj Nigro like this.

Hyvinkää, Finland[

post #6 of 25 Old May 19th, 2020, 1:44 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Garage

Crazy mods! I like it... sheesh! Keep the shiny side up! Cheers! Thanks for sharing!

Bob
Covina, CA
2000 K1200LTI Champagne

post #7 of 25 Old May 19th, 2020, 2:10 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tj Nigro View Post

Edit: Ahh, I clicked on his Blog link. It is a tool carrier disguised as a pipe. Clever.

Thats very Clever, I didn't notice it, Until I read your post.

02' K1200LT current bike
'85 Honda Sabre V65
'80 Kawasaki KZ650
'72 Honda 350/4
post #8 of 25 Old May 19th, 2020, 3:55 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Hi Ari!

Welcome back. There's hasn't been a more prolific LT farkle designer since we last heard from you. You were always a
standout contributor in, what I feel, was the 'heyday' of this forum. When the LT was still being produced and new
members were joining/contributing in the most creative of ways, you were a standout. I tip my LT hat, sir!
Looking forward perusing your blog.

Have fun,
Jer

Jerry Palma
99 K1200LTI Champagne 'Oh, Kay' (dropped: 5)
97 K1100LT Aspen Silver Night High Line 'Silver Knight'
08 535xi Space Gray metallic
09 328i Silver Convertable
17 X3 Glacier Silver metallic

BMWMOA #157323 / ABC #11368 -- All-in-all a newbie!

I love these bikes regardless of what I've needed to fix on them. I'll: Just Ride 'em!
post #9 of 25 Old May 19th, 2020, 6:34 pm

Wow.... If you squint and look out the side of your eyes you can kind of see something that used to look like a German motorcycle.
But I'm not sure.
post #10 of 25 Old May 19th, 2020, 6:48 pm
Miles of Smiles

Garage

Glad to see you again Ari.
Losing reference to so many tips and tricks accumulated over the years is really bad.
HOW and Technical files, yours and so many others, really well documented repairs and farkle additions, are such a great source of knowledge to service and maintain our bikes. And just enjoy the ride.
After nearly 20 years of input, this site and the people here are awesome.
As we started.
The bike brought us together, the folks kept us together.

Enjoy the summer.
Cheers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
cws likes this.

Jenna: Ocean Blue '06
Hilton: Head of the Steering Committee.
Rena: The Committee.
ET4 Thing 1
ET4 Thing 2
post #11 of 25 Old May 19th, 2020, 10:01 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Thanks Ari, the Motolights are still burning bright at a local dealer's showroom on my 2000 LT ! I purchased a "New" 2018 RT1200RTW in the spring of 2019 and have 14,000 km on it already with a few farkles as well!

pm
--
Life is too short to do anything
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"
2005 Pyrenees of France & Spain
2006 Tuscany

2011 South Africa

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Northern & Central Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

2019 Maritime Provinces of Canada & New England 3,500 miles

'18 R1200RTW
'00 K1200LTC (Dealer is taking on consignment!)
'90 K75-Sold to a new BMW owner (2016)
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
Sold in '67

post #12 of 25 Old May 19th, 2020, 10:27 pm

Garage

G'day Ari,

Long time....

I too have just returned to the forum, covid had me staying at home and wondering what to do with myself. I saw the sad LT sitting in the shed and decided it was time to see if I could get it functional again. Hence trawling the forum again and asking many questions.
It's good to be back and great to see your name pop up again.

P.S. I finished the bottle of Cloudberry Liqueur and chocolates you sent me many years back, I've been waiting by the postbox ever since...

P.S.S I reckon we both now look a little different to our Avatar - not sure what happened to my hair....
cws likes this.

Daz

Never take life too seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway…..

Black (03) LT
Matching Uni-Go
Ulysses Member 30740

Growing Old Disgracefully.....

Last edited by Daza; May 19th, 2020 at 10:30 pm. Reason: added a P.S.S.
post #13 of 25 Old May 20th, 2020, 5:17 am

Welcome back! Even though we have never formally met we saw your crew at many of the CCR's and you all seemed to be the light of the party!

I still visit this forum to keep up with the old LT gang but we (as many other have) have moved on to the K1600 whether it be the GTL, GT or the GA.

Hope all is well with you all.

Brett
2003 K1200LTC SOLD
2013 K1600GTL SOLD
2018 K1600GA SOLD
2019 K1600GA Blue

North Georgia

2005 CCR-Tetons
2006 CCR-Braselton
2008 CCR-Midway
2009 CCR-Rapid City
2011 CCR-Boise
2012 CCR-Duluth
2014 CCR-Chattanooga
2015 CCR-Coeur d 'Alene

post #14 of 25 Old May 20th, 2020, 11:35 am
Lifetime Supporter

Hello Ari,

So good to see you on this site again. I met you in Brazelton/CCR 2006, in the first year of my LT ownership.

You were an early inspiration for my K1200LT farkling. I still have the many photos and videos of your bike I took at Brazelton. We put 120,000 miles on our '05 LT. In 2012 we bought a used 2009 LT, which we still have. In 2016 we bought a K1600GTL, which is a great bike but the LT, for us, is the king of the highway tourers.

Hope to see more of you around here. Take care.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #15 of 25 Old May 20th, 2020, 7:39 pm

Good to see your back. I think your mods to the LT were just absolutely cutting edge. Especially that fake exhaust. The LT it seems still has a hold on many of us. I wish BMW had just corrected the LT's shortcomings and kept making them with a few design changes. I've ridden all the touring bikes out now. Theres still nothing that rides,protects with the comfort of the LT.

2004 K1200LT. Big Mama
I'm a 4 percenter.
post #16 of 25 Old May 21st, 2020, 3:42 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by james216 View Post
Good to see your back. I think your mods to the LT were just absolutely cutting edge. Especially that fake exhaust. The LT it seems still has a hold on many of us. I wish BMW had just corrected the LT's shortcomings and kept making them with a few design changes. I've ridden all the touring bikes out now. Theres still nothing that rides,protects with the comfort of the LT.
I wonder if BMW ever reads stuff like this about a bike that I'm sure they have forgotten. Other brands have revisited old designs. Kawasaki for one reinvented the Z bike and it looks great.
You would think that there would be room in the BMW stable for a big comfortable tourer like the LT. Do they realize how many old LT owners have tried it's successor and found it wanting in comparison to the big old girl we all love.
hschisler, james216 and kbob12 like this.
post #17 of 25 Old May 21st, 2020, 9:31 am

I've tried contacting them. It's just like the other manufacturers of moto sport. Their engineering
& design teams just plow ahead with new designs while discontinuing what their customers loved & are calling for. It appears they could care less about what the customer wants. I really don't get it!! It not like the LT's design is dated..That bike still has a very forward looking design. It still looks more futuristic than alot of new motorcycles. I get as many curious people asking me about it as i ever did. What model is it? Never seen one,that's really nice.. You mean they don't make them anymore? Really? Then i tell them. Nope, haven't in 11 years. They are always surprised. Yea BMW. It's not you in Munich.. It's all of us. Yea we're the ones who are crazy. It must be us for still wanting a machine that although it had issues. Worked & still works so well. But,Your in tune with the customer base. Yea.. Keep telling yourselves that!!

2004 K1200LT. Big Mama
I'm a 4 percenter.
post #18 of 25 Old May 21st, 2020, 4:48 pm Thread Starter

Big thanks to all of you for the warm welcome!

The need for this site is still there although the people have changed. The majority is probably running preowned bikes which most likely means more complicated questions including a bunch of various extra cables & other gadgets that have been added to the bike by the previous owners.

My 16 years and 230.000 km have been without major problems. My recipe is quite simple:

- I change engine oil every 10.000 km. My engine started burning oil at 185.000 km and then I was advised by a BMW mechanic to use 20W50 mineral and cured my extra oil consumption.
- gearbox oil I change every 15 - 20.000 km. I use Red Line Heavy ShockProof oil.
- final drive oil I change every 10.000 km. I use the same RedLine Heavy every second time and regular 75W90 gear oil every second time. I do have a spare final drive unit which I change every 40-50.000 without questions. The spare one gets a new bearing during the winter months. Most of my riding is nowadays long distance with two up and a Uni-Go trailer behind.
- all brake fluids get changed every second year

The major incidents have been:
- front wheel ABS sensor died at 30.000 km
- reversing sensor (in the side of the gearbox) died at 25.000
- new gearbox at 65.000 km. My fault, I hit the skid plate on a street curb and broke the gearbox housing. (Luckily my insurance covered!)
- changed the clutch at 100.000 km, which turned out to be my therapy only. During the last rides of the season I thought the clutch was slipping but the the snow came and it was too late to double check. So I decided to change the clutch just in case. The old one was all dry and ok...
- during that winter I also did some other "improvements" , like K&N air filter. Big mistake, that caused me excessive oil consumption and was later educated by a German BMW professional that "don't mess with the air filter unless you have full knowledge of reprogramming (i.e chipping) the engine ecu"
- at 175.000 km I converted the bike to run on RE85 ethanol and this lasted about 6000 km until I dismantled the conversion (read my blog if you want to learn more)
- in 2016 I managed to hit a concrete light pole in Poland and lost my right side mirror and aux high beam. New mirror (cover only) from BMW and new Hella from eBay and new headlight bracket.
- my valves are being checked by a BMW professional every two years and this year (at 227.000 km) was the first time one exhaust valve needed adjusting.
- I have of course dropped the bike every now and then but my J-Peg XL's and their "Ari's special stoppers" have saved my plastic side bumpers and their led lights from being damaged
- this winter I dropped my left mirror from my garage shelf (!) and broke the Muth Signal mirror. No replacements available any more but luckily I had saved the BMW original mirror. Some dremeling and glue and now the Muth leds glow behind BMW mirror!
- all my extra electricals with over 50 relays, 15 fuses, couple of hundred meters of wiring, and about 25 switches etc have held well. Two years ago I had a mysterious burning of one fuse which happened to command all my auxiliary lights etc. I reserved one weekend for stripping down the bike and following my cables in order to find the short but I found it during the first 10 minutes. A wire was pinched between the side bumper plastic cover and the J-Peg support bar underneath. One of my happiest days...!

So all in all. LT satisfies my needs for riding both for my work and for longer trips (done a couple of standard Ironbutt 1000 mile/24 h rides but only if I'm going somewhere). I don't go for "fun rides on Sundays". (A few taxi drivers go and ride around on their free time I guess...)
LT is the last model equipped with "normal electrical system" i.e. no CAN bus system. Since I'm a self taught electrician I don't understand the computerized electrical systems. LT has powerful alternator while the new bikes don't.
LT is heavy and my bike is even heavier (about 20 kg / 40 lbs) because of all the gadgets I have added to it. When I grow older the bike gets harder to maneuver. When I can't hold the bike up anymore then I'll quit. Hopefully I can still ride my bike at least for the next 10 years, then I will be 75...
alabrew, Daza, cws and 5 others like this.

Hyvinkää, Finland[

post #19 of 25 Old May 22nd, 2020, 1:18 pm

Garage

Ari,

Thank you for that recap of your LT experiences and mods. I appreciate the time you, John Z. and many others take to help others with friendly, knowledgeable advice. I will be a disciple.

Best Regards,
TJ
post #20 of 25 Old May 22nd, 2020, 3:23 pm

Ari
It's nice to see you back and thanks for documenting all of "farkles" You mentioned Covid, and it is strange here where I live in the states. People who ride are coming out of the wood work, so to speak. Weekdays used to be good for solo rides with no traffic. Now, it's like groups of bikes are everywhere. Unfortunately, I live in a place where "bike" means Harley, but occasionally, I see a lone LT, so I know that there are others out there. The good thing is that a lot of people are riding.

BTW -- re your comment about riding until your 75. I'm 73 and still managing the "truck". You ride until you can't.

RickG
'07 K1200 LT

'85 K100 RT
gift to friend
post #21 of 25 Old May 23rd, 2020, 11:04 am

I've said it before. I could not own the LT without this forum and Kirk from BMW of N Illinois site.. No way. Theres invaluable knowledge that you just cannot get anywhere.
kbob12 likes this.

2004 K1200LT. Big Mama
I'm a 4 percenter.
post #22 of 25 Old May 23rd, 2020, 11:18 am

Ari's special stoppers??

2004 K1200LT. Big Mama
I'm a 4 percenter.
post #23 of 25 Old May 23rd, 2020, 6:33 pm

Man, I can't believe all the old names I see on this post. I too recently returned to the forum after years away. I miss the old forum a lot.

I still have my 99 LT and also have an 08 Gold Wing. The Wing is just friendlier to these old short legs. The LT is still my favorite ride and I still get questions and compliments on it.

I'll certainly be che king in more often.

Ray Rau
Brewster, NY
'99 LT - Champagne
post #24 of 25 Old May 23rd, 2020, 7:54 pm

Why am I unable to find the blog?

Looking for mygoodlt.blogspot.com

Steve
post #25 of 25 Old May 23rd, 2020, 10:31 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevekremer View Post
Why am I unable to find the blog?

Looking for mygoodlt.blogspot.com

Steve
It is mygoodoldlt not mygoodlt

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 114 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in