3Likes
  • 1 Post By beech
  • 1 Post By Captain_Wayne
  • 1 Post By james216

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old May 17th, 2020, 8:38 am Thread Starter

Garage
Worth the effort?

I have the opportunity to purchase a 2000 LT with 90,000 miles. Owner states that something broke in the drive train, thinks it's the clutch. He said he was riding it and stopped at a stop sign. Went to pull off and the bike barely moved. Now it won't move on it's own at all. Final drive oil was changed in September. He just bought a new bike and is offering to me for $950. I also know where I can get two others in the $2500-2800 range ready to go. Worth getting the bike and fix or pass and get one of the others?

John McFarland
Mentor, Ohio
Northeast Ohio snow belt

No current bike under butt
Past bikes include:
1989 HD Electraglide
1999 Suzuki VL1500
1982 Yamaha 920 Virago
1978 Honda GW
1981 Yamaha 400 Special ii
1975 Honda GW
1979 Honda CX500C
1975 Honda CB200

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old May 17th, 2020, 8:59 am

Re: Worth the effort?

Sounds more than just clutch but if you cannot see any of the other major components, ABS (can always be bypassed), FD, electrical, then I would say to go for it even if it is just for the satisfaction of knowing you were able to get her back on the road to your standards. Also depends on whether you need a bike right away or can afford to put off riding until this baby is like new again.

"If at first you don't succeed... well, so much for skydiving."

BMWMOA - #47511
2015 F700GS - For my better half whenever I'm not using it!
2007 K1200LT - Nice now!
2003 R1150GS -Black Beauty (sold)
2006 K1200LT - Blue Baby (sold)
2003 R1150GS - Yellowbird (sold)
1981 R100CS - Sadly gone
1991 K1100RS - Sold and burned
1986 K100RS - In the past
post #3 of 13 Old May 17th, 2020, 9:03 am Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr1150gs View Post
Sounds more than just clutch but if you cannot see any of the other major components, ABS (can always be bypassed), FD, electrical, then I would say to go for it even if it is just for the satisfaction of knowing you were able to get her back on the road to your standards. Also depends on whether you need a bike right away or can afford to put off riding until this baby is like new again.
Nope, no hurry at all. In fact the longer it sits in the garage the more the wife would accept it. Just afraid it would bite more than I could chew.

John McFarland
Mentor, Ohio
Northeast Ohio snow belt

Past bikes include:
1989 HD Electraglide
1999 Suzuki VL1500
1982 Yamaha 920 Virago
1978 Honda GW
1975 Honda GW
1979 Honda CX500C
1975 Honda CB200

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 13 Old May 17th, 2020, 11:05 am

I bet it is the drive shaft. Two halves connected with a rubber vulcanized connection can let loose. Might be a good chance at a bargain.
sailor likes this.

Beech

I change your tires $50, you buy them on the web.
K13S, S1000R (gone through a few GS's & RT's)
post #5 of 13 Old May 17th, 2020, 11:49 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmcfarland View Post
I have the opportunity to purchase a 2000 LT with 90,000 miles. Owner states that something broke in the drive train, thinks it's the clutch. He said he was riding it and stopped at a stop sign. Went to pull off and the bike barely moved. Now it won't move on it's own at all. Final drive oil was changed in September. He just bought a new bike and is offering to me for $950. I also know where I can get two others in the $2500-2800 range ready to go. Worth getting the bike and fix or pass and get one of the others?
I have not seen the bike to make a few static check on it (engine running or not), so what I write below is my best guess based on these facts.
(1) Based on history of problem with the K1200LT/RS design over the years, it could as simple as a
- driveshat: can be found on EBAY for about $US$ 100 USED. Need 2 to 5 few hours of work to change dependent on your mechanical experience. This has already been mentionned by BEECH in previous message.

- brake caliper seized (does the rear wheel turn freely when jacked up on center-stand ??)

- REAR-DRIVE seized / internal damage: not an easy work for a beginner and NOT many good used on EBAY (too many surprises). However we have an expert here on the forum (Saddleman) that rebuild these for a fee with ALL NEW parts. I would plan for at least $500 maybe a bit more

(2) HOWEVER, it could also be a more serious issue related to clutch or transmission. In such case, you need to plan for $US$ 300 to $900 in parts and you need to be competent with major mechanical work. The clutch job (or transmission swap) is a MAJOR JOB on a K1200LT - some dealer charge 13 hours (at roughly $100/hour) but in reality the 1st time you do this you need to plan for at least double of this plus a few tools you may not have.

If you ever need one, you can find a lot of used transmission for a K1200LT on EBAY for about $300 , but it is a bit of crap-shoot buying a complex assy used. In general they are quite reliable, but some have had 1 bearing fail AND/OR splines of the main input shaft damage. In the worst case you plan your budget to buy a 2nd one if the 1st one is bad (assuming in the worst case you cannot be refunded).

(3) I do not clearly understand if the engine is running properly (in neutral) from your message above. The worst scenario is the engine has internal damage and you need to swap with goos used one. This is just a few more hours than a clutch job. However finding a good used engine is a crap-shoot game.

At the end of thh day, IT IS YOUR OWN DECISION to see if you are willing to go for it or not given these costs / risks. I can do the work, but I do not need a K1200LT added to my garage right now ;-)

-------------------------------------------------
John (Montreal, CANADA)
K1200RS (2002 IceBlue/Red - 96,000 miles)
Think twice before you hit [SUBMIT REPLY] - famous quote by another member:
"The value of this board is not founded on dismissing the ideas of others, but by posting to share our experiences and what we've learned from them."

Last edited by sailor; May 17th, 2020 at 12:00 pm.
post #6 of 13 Old May 17th, 2020, 1:35 pm Thread Starter

Garage

It runs nicely and rolls freely in neutral.

John McFarland
Mentor, Ohio
Northeast Ohio snow belt

Past bikes include:
1989 HD Electraglide
1999 Suzuki VL1500
1982 Yamaha 920 Virago
1978 Honda GW
1975 Honda GW
1979 Honda CX500C
1975 Honda CB200

post #7 of 13 Old May 17th, 2020, 2:20 pm

Garage

No donít buy it. My 2 cents;
Reason #1: You do not know what is wrong with it. The present owner doesnít seem to know what is wrong with it. Why take a chance?
Reason #2: It seems that you are looking for a bargain priced LT, the odds are against you. The purchase price may seem low, but when you factor in parts and labor costs youíll realize that it wasnít a bargain. You may rationalize that if you do the work yourself you will save money to justify the investment, but you may be overlooking the cost of tools, supplies, work space, time spent, and mechanical experience.
Reason #3: 90,000 miles of an unknown vehicle that doesnít work. The maintenance history wasnít mentioned other than changing the final drive oil (did it contain metal filings at the time? etc).
Reason #4: you didnít mention if you ever rode a LT, the current LT for sale obviously doesnít give you that opportunity. You might not like it; one common reason mentioned by some is that it is very heavy and intimidating at very slow speed, etc.
If the other 2 LTís are truly ready to go, maintenance up to date, maintenance records available, and you are able test drive it and like it, then why even consider the $950.00+++++ LT? I donít mean to discourage you, but based on my 90,000+ miles on my 2000 LT I would have to say that it cost me a lot of money to maintain and repair even with strict adherence to routine maintenance and preemptive fixes. My LT may be an exception. The bottom line for me is that I place a premium on the LTís ride, especially compared to other bikes, and the expense in my mind is justified. Whatever you decide good luck and enjoy the ride.
sailor likes this.

Currently owned,
1966 R50
2000 K LT
post #8 of 13 Old May 17th, 2020, 2:20 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmcfarland View Post
It runs nicely and rolls freely in neutral.
Ok... given this new post, we can eliminate some of "wost case" mentionned earlier.

ALL test below are static with engine OFF.

1) My next check, if I was on site, would be to put bike on center-stand, turn the rear wheel in neutral, and listen for any abnormal resistance and/or noise. Is rotation jumpy or smooth.

2) Not easy to do with side cases on: try to check for looseness / clearance / movement of the rear-drive assy by holding the rear tire with both hands at 3:00 and 9:00 O-clock posiiton - rocking sideway and pulling more or less on each side. This can also be done by grabbing lower part of tire and pulling at 90 degees angle from each side. If there ANY free-play, it can come from a few places that needs attention - some more expensive than others (internal of rear-drive being the most expensive).

3) My next 2nd check (on center-stand) would be to manually engage transmission down in 1st gear. You may need to manually rotate the rear wheel back and forth to force the gear to mesh because there is no rotation inside transmisison in this test.

4) Next test is to go UP from 1st to 2nd , 3rd.... to 5th. Does it engage ? How much wheel rotation at the tire circumference do you get (assuming the clutch is NOT pulled). The wheel rotation movement should be stopped in such a way that you have about 2 inches "slack" at tire circumference in most gear.

Finally, assuming the transmission and final-drive can go thru all the above test without major grinding noise or issues, I would do the same test above in 3) and 4) with the clutch being pulled. Can you now rotate the wheel freely ? OF COURSE there will aways be more resistance than the free test in neutral, but it should turn freely with clutch pulled.

John (Montreal, CANADA)
K1200RS (2002 IceBlue/Red - 96,000 miles)
Think twice before you hit [SUBMIT REPLY] - famous quote by another member:
"The value of this board is not founded on dismissing the ideas of others, but by posting to share our experiences and what we've learned from them."
post #9 of 13 Old May 17th, 2020, 3:30 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Got a note back that it rolls around in gear like it's in neutral. Sounds like a drive shaft to me now. The bike is an hour and a half away, so not a short trip to check out.

John McFarland
Mentor, Ohio
Northeast Ohio snow belt

Past bikes include:
1989 HD Electraglide
1999 Suzuki VL1500
1982 Yamaha 920 Virago
1978 Honda GW
1975 Honda GW
1979 Honda CX500C
1975 Honda CB200

post #10 of 13 Old May 17th, 2020, 3:36 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Plus I've only been texting him. I will call him tomorrow to get dearer into NFL.

John McFarland
Mentor, Ohio
Northeast Ohio snow belt

Past bikes include:
1989 HD Electraglide
1999 Suzuki VL1500
1982 Yamaha 920 Virago
1978 Honda GW
1975 Honda GW
1979 Honda CX500C
1975 Honda CB200

post #11 of 13 Old May 17th, 2020, 3:36 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

+1 on the driveshaft diagnostic choice. They usually slip badly and suddenly.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 114 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #12 of 13 Old May 17th, 2020, 7:50 pm

Hello John. I live close. Garfield hts. About 25 minutes away. I don't know, it may or may not be serious. But that gearbox issue doesn't sound promising. You may need to swap it out with a good used one .They're all over Ebay fairly reasonable. But beware taking this on can be alot of work. Your choice. But spending a little more & getting a LT that's ridable may be the way to go. But if you have time & don't mind taking it on then go for it.Again. Up to you. If you need a hand with repairs let me know. I will help if i can.
garr2 likes this.

2004 K1200LT. Big Mama
1999 Suzuki Intruder VL1500LC. Betty Lou.
I'm a 4 percenter.
post #13 of 13 Old May 17th, 2020, 8:08 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by james216 View Post
Hello John. I live close. Garfield hts. About 25 minutes away. I don't know, it may or may not be serious. But that gearbox issue doesn't sound promising. You may need to swap it out with a good used one .They're all over Ebay fairly reasonable. But beware taking this on can be alot of work. Your choice. But spending a little more & getting a LT that's ridable may be the way to go. But if you have time & don't mind taking it on then go for it.Again. Up to you. If you need a hand with repairs let me know. I will help if i can.
PM'd you.

John McFarland
Mentor, Ohio
Northeast Ohio snow belt

Past bikes include:
1989 HD Electraglide
1999 Suzuki VL1500
1982 Yamaha 920 Virago
1978 Honda GW
1975 Honda GW
1979 Honda CX500C
1975 Honda CB200

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in